Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007
I note that the Buyer's Guide still doesn't have an Apple TV guide. Why? It's still an Apple product that's worthy of attention (even if I don't want to buy one:p). I just think it would make a good addition to the guide.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Right now it would be useless because there haven't been any updates (yet). Basically, we have no idea how long the product update cycle is.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007
Right now it would be useless because there haven't been any updates (yet). Basically, we have no idea how long the product update cycle is.

Well that's true for the iPhone right now, and I'm sure it was true when the iPod Mini was first introduced. It's sort of like leaving it out because no one cares about it. Poor Apple TV; it's the orphan nobody wants.

dmorehouse

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Apple TV not in Buyer's Guide

Even though the Apple TV isn't on version 2 yet, so that no baseline for updates has been established, it would still be nice to see it in the list. It could show the days since update as the number of days since the release, which would be helpful to potential buyers. Even without a baseline for a release cycle it'd be nice to see and compare to other consumer Apple products.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
It has been brought up.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/314622/

The Apple TV has been updated (i.e. 160GB Apple TV introduced). But using the rational that "it has not seen updates" would prompt the removal of the iPhone. It has been out even less time and the only thing it has seen is a price drop. In my opinion the iPhone should have the same disclaimer as the Mac Pro and Cinema Displays. They carry the disclaimer that the update was a price drop and not an actual hardware update.

I personally think the Apple TV should be added to the buyers guide. But I am not in charge so it is left up to the powers that be.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Whether to buy an Apple TV has all sorts of other factors besides "when will it be updated next?"

I want to know whether Apple's serious about 99 cent TV shows, whether video rentals will come through, whether competitors will have more attractive alternatives like whether DirecTV will support TiVo HD, whether Apple will support true surround sound, HD, and on and on. It's not a question of "do I upgrade my computer now or later"; it's a whole constellation of things not easily distilled on the buyer's guide.

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
It would be nice to have a buyer's guide section for the AppleTV, if only for the most recent news specifically for it.

BTW, there is a section for the iPod touch which states "no historical data". So, obviously this is an intentional decision to not have a buyer's guide for the AppleTV.

rrijkers

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
The Netherlands
I vote for an Apple TV Buyer's Guide too. iPod touch hasnt got any history aswell. Please add this nice device, I love the buyer's guides!

And it seems more people requested it :cool::)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.