PDA

View Full Version : iBook died.. :( need advice

zioxide
Sep 3, 2007, 06:08 PM
So apparently the logic board on my iBook is dead and would need to be replaced. It's not under warranty so I know I'm going to have to pay for it. I checked ifixit.com and the price for a new board is $400.

Does anyone know how much Apple would charge me to replace the logic board? I'm guessing its going to be well over $500. There's no way in hell I'm spending $400+ to fix a computer thats worth no more than $600. I think that would be ridiculous. But that leaves me with another problem.

College starts on Wednesday and I need a computer. I was saving up to purchase a Macbook Pro later this coming winter/spring. But I don't have enough money to buy it yet. This leaves me with two options: fix the iBook or buy a Macbook. What do you guys think?

flopticalcube
Sep 3, 2007, 06:12 PM
Sell the iBook on eBay as a parts only sale and use the money to buy a MBP refurb.

squeeks
Sep 3, 2007, 06:59 PM
yeah even with a faulty logic board you should be about to get around 200 bucks for it on ebay, unless you really need the power, just go for the macbook, apparently people this its much better to carry around because its "so much smaller???"

anyway good luck

zioxide
Sep 3, 2007, 07:30 PM
So I think i'm going to buy the $1199 macbook and next summer sell it for like $800 and buy a Pro.

Got another question: Last week I ordered an extra power adapter for my iBook. I haven't even used it yet since it was going to be for my desk for school. Will Apple let me return it?

shoulin333
Sep 3, 2007, 07:32 PM
go in there to the retail store, tell them you will buy a MacBook if they waive the restocking fee, im sure they will

zioxide
Sep 4, 2007, 12:29 AM
so yeah.. I believe im going to pick up a macbook tomorrow. however now I need to get all of my files off the hard drive from the iBook. Anyone recommend a good external 2.5'' case?

deadpixels
Sep 4, 2007, 12:37 AM
so yeah.. I believe im going to pick up a macbook tomorrow. however now I need to get all of my files off the hard drive from the iBook. Anyone recommend a good external 2.5'' case?

here's one for example
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MOTGU2/

stuff99
Sep 4, 2007, 03:24 AM
how does a logic board fail anyways?

is this a problem with apple?

skyrider007
Sep 4, 2007, 03:43 AM
how does a logic board fail anyways?

is this a problem with apple?

This certainly is a problem with the majority of Apple's iBooks. Mine (a white G3) died exactly a year after I bought it (didn't have AppleCare, so I trashed it).

iSaint
Sep 4, 2007, 05:52 AM
Here's my story (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=300322&highlight=applecare) of iBook repair. Obviously, I'm very satisfied. Sounds like the Apple repair center will be cheaper than ifixit.com.

macpluslaptop
Sep 4, 2007, 07:09 AM
Mine 6-yr old ibook G3 is still going strong. No repair issues ever.

zioxide
Sep 4, 2007, 07:15 PM
went to the apple store to buy a macbook today.. came out with nothing because i hated them. the keyboards are ****, the palmrests looked disgusting, and the glossy screen is awful. no thanks.

i think i'm going to try to stretch my money to get the base model matte mbp.

mick4394
Sep 4, 2007, 07:32 PM
went to the apple store to buy a macbook today.. came out with nothing because i hated them. the keyboards are ****, the palmrests looked disgusting, and the glossy screen is awful. no thanks.

i think i'm going to try to stretch my money to get the base model matte mbp.

I agree with you on the palmrests, and the glossy screen is really a matter of taste, so I can't fault you there. But, I really have to take issue with you on the keyboard.

The Macbook keyboard is one of the best I've ever typed on. It really was one of my favorite features on the computer. I know I'm not the only one on these boards who thinks this.

You really should give that keyboard another shot.

dusanv
Sep 4, 2007, 09:46 PM
That's a common problem with iBooks (bad solder on video I think). You should be able to fix it yourself. Google is your friend.

MK2007
Sep 4, 2007, 10:02 PM

i think i'm going to try to stretch my money to get the base model matte mbp.I understand your concern about the glossy screen. As a former owner of several iBooks I myself want to buy a MacBook, but I am completely turned off by their awful, glossy screen.

Another option for you is to buy a used logic board through eBay and replace the one in your iBook. This would cost you a lot less than if you bought it elsewhere. Then you can either continue using your iBook or upgrade to the MBP.

maxp1
Sep 5, 2007, 12:45 AM
You could also try to fix it. This thread

http://www.macworld.com/forums/u****reads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=220598&page=10&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

gives one method. There's also a company out there thst you can send your logic board to and they'll do a professionsl level reflow. http://www.firstphasetech.com/ibook-repair-g3-g4.html

Seems like a lot of people have had success with that.

zioxide
Sep 5, 2007, 10:12 AM
It's not the video chip. One of the connectors on the board just came off, because when I went to pop the case off it was just floating in there. the bottom pins are way too close together to solder them back down.

Jasonbot
Sep 5, 2007, 10:43 AM
How come apple never issued a recall for these iBooks? Mine also died and no one cared. The warranty was out!