PDA

View Full Version : ibook g4 wont read dvds

Dave likes macs
Sep 3, 2007, 06:19 PM
my ibook doesnt read dvds anymore like it used to, but it will read blank ones if i use an external dvd drive, but when i try and insert a normal dvd (ive tried a lot of dvds so its not just one disc) in the laptop drive or the external one, it says "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." and gives me an option to ignore or eject. i tried creating a new account, but the same thing happened, so i used my install disks to install mac os x on an external drive and booted from that and the disk worked! but, ive got lots of important data on the laptop drive, so im stuck here. if someone could help that would be great. heres some of the more technical information about the laptop: ibook g4 12" with a 1.2 ghz processor and 1.2 gigs of ram, MATSHITACD-RW CW-8123 combo drive, and a 120 gb hard drive

mad jew
Sep 3, 2007, 08:32 PM
Try resetting the PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449). :)

Dave likes macs
Sep 3, 2007, 08:34 PM
Try resetting the PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449). :)

thanks, ill try it, and see what happens

Dave likes macs
Sep 3, 2007, 08:45 PM
unfortunetly it didnt do anything to fix it :( but it did fix a problem with the light on my charger flicking from orange to green :)

compuguy1088
Sep 3, 2007, 09:17 PM
my ibook doesnt read dvds anymore like it used to, but it will read blank ones if i use an external dvd drive, but when i try and insert a normal dvd (ive tried a lot of dvds so its not just one disc) in the laptop drive or the external one, it says "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." and gives me an option to ignore or eject. i tried creating a new account, but the same thing happened, so i used my install disks to install mac os x on an external drive and booted from that and the disk worked! but, ive got lots of important data on the laptop drive, so im stuck here. if someone could help that would be great. heres some of the more technical information about the laptop: ibook g4 12" with a 1.2 ghz processor and 1.2 gigs of ram, MATSHITACD-RW CW-8123 combo drive, and a 120 gb hard drive

That is odd maybe it has something to do with the internal combo drive, or there could be a possibility of reinstalling osx, which may or may not do it (as a last resort)

Dave likes macs
Sep 4, 2007, 03:26 PM
i already have used the install disks for mac os 10.4(upgrading from 10.3) to reinstall and nothing happened, but none of my files were erased:confused:so i is much confused :confused:

mad jew
Sep 4, 2007, 10:34 PM
So wait, it can boot from the OSX DVD?

Dave likes macs
Sep 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
So wait, it can boot from the OSX DVD?

its not the dvd version its the 5 cd-rom set, took a while to find on ebay, they pretty much only make dvd ones now

mad jew
Sep 4, 2007, 10:59 PM
Ah okay. You performed an upgrade by the sounds of things, which is why your files and settings were left intact. Do you have the DVD version too? If so, put it in the drive and boot holding OPTION, just to see if it's even recognised. :)

Dave likes macs
Sep 5, 2007, 03:19 PM
ok, this is kinda confusing, but ok. if i try to boot from dvd version(borrowed from a friend) it doesnt work. BUT when i boot from the external drive, THEN, boot from dvd, and voila! it works :confused::confuzzled::confused:

mad jew
Sep 5, 2007, 05:47 PM
Are you using OPTION or C to boot from the DVD? If you're using OPTION, then you should theoretically see at least three different choices - the external drive, the internal drive and the DVD.

Dave likes macs
Sep 6, 2007, 06:21 AM
Are you using OPTION or C to boot from the DVD? If you're using OPTION, then you should theoretically see at least three different choices - the external drive, the internal drive and the DVD.

when i hold down option with the cd version, i see three drives. then, i insert the dvd and hold down option. dvd doesnt show up. then i boot from external, then option, then it shows up.

mad jew
Sep 8, 2007, 12:04 AM
I'm not quite following. How are you booting from the external and then holding OPTION? OPTION should be held before the machine has booted from a drive as it is showing you all bootable disks. Sorry. :o

Dave likes macs
Sep 8, 2007, 07:48 AM
i boot INTO external, then i restart and hold down option then i can boot from dvd

mad jew
Sep 10, 2007, 05:08 AM
That's really weird. It shouldn't matter which previous volume you booted from...

Try the PMU reset again but this time take the battery out afterwards, and leave it unplugged from the power overnight. See if that helps at all. :)

Dave likes macs
Sep 10, 2007, 06:11 AM
ok ill do that, and see what happens

Dave likes macs
Sep 11, 2007, 02:26 PM
apparently it didnt do anything. :( someone at the apple store(i love that place :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:) looked at it, took off the keyboard and he held his ear on top of the drive. it made a loud humming/clicking noise, and couldnt figure it out. and now after the pmu reset overnight its a quiet/warm humming noise. other than that it still dont work. ::confusend:: everyone ive talked to says this is the strangest problem theyve ever seen.:confused::confused::confused: