PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Loud Whirling Sound In G4 CD-Rom!

mm62
Aug 13, 2003, 01:36 AM
My G4 will not read/import files from certain burned cds. It makes a loud, whirling sound when I put them in and I have to force quit all programs. This doesn't happen with regular CDs. Are the cds burned at too high/too low a speed? Is this going to wreck my computer? Can I change the speed that I am reading them at? I'm at the end of my rope I don't know what to do.

Running OSX, 867 mhz, 512 mb, etc.

Please help. Feel Free to email: MM62@aol.com

Thank you so much!

alphaone
Aug 13, 2003, 01:56 AM
-mm62
Is that drive the original drive that came with the computer?

Don't know if this is related at all, but sometimes my Dual 867 won't play certain DVD's, normal and burned. It rarely happenes, but when it does it doesn't freeze up the system. It just sits and makes sounds like it's trying to read the disk. You would think that the disk is scratched, but it isn't. It's wierd. It is annoying sometimes though.

mm62
Aug 13, 2003, 02:26 AM
yes it is the original and the computer is about 2 months old. everything else works fine.

King Cobra
Aug 13, 2003, 10:11 AM
Make sure you are running the latest version of OS X.

Also, what model CDs are not working in your machine? Do any other models have the same?

Have you done an fsck -y lately?

Boot up with Apple -- S held down
type in fsck -y when processes have finished

If you get any problems, run fsck -y again.

Once you have a positive return message, type in:
mount -uw /
reboot
[return]

Also, reset your firmware:
Boot: Apple -- Option -- O -- F
Type in: reset-all

Also, reset your PRAM:

Boot: Apple -- Option -- P -- R
Hold down until you hear 5 chimes.

Have you tried various burning a disc at different speeds with the same conflicting media to see if the problem exists, or even with different media disks? Once you have done the above, try that.

alphaone
Aug 13, 2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by mm62
yes it is the original and the computer is about 2 months old. everything else works fine.
Is it a Dual 867 MDD or is it an 867 Quicksilver? What's the drive model/manufacturer of the combo drive given by apple system profiler?

mm62
Aug 13, 2003, 07:16 PM
well i found that by changing the speed of the reader to 128 from 160 kbps that it worked. i'm not sure exactly why....