PDA

View Full Version : External AirPort antenna on G5?

Gus
Aug 13, 2003, 01:55 AM
I must have missed this until today. I was sitting here reading this month's MacWorld which has a great article on the G5, and read this tidbit:

"In order for AirPort to work on the G5, an additional external antenna must be connected to the exterior of the machine because of it's metal construction."

Did everyone else besides me know this? I'm a little disappointed from an aesthetic standpoint. Apparently you need an antenna for the Bluetooth module as well. The article mentioned that these antenae were "optional" hardware, meaning, you will have to pay extra for them. If this is true, then I think Apple is making a mistake. I think they should incllude it, don't you?

Regards,
Gus

Kwyjibo
Aug 13, 2003, 09:00 AM
yup i think most people do, its shown up in many of the g5 photos and it doesn't look terrible imo.

Lanbrown
Aug 13, 2003, 09:23 AM
Both Airport Extreme and BT are options, so when you buy them they should include the antennae. The ports are on the back regardless if you have those options are not.

TEG
Aug 13, 2003, 09:27 AM
Actually This will make it easer for companies to integrate G5s into their sytems, because, they can use high gain antennas so they can set them up in any form. It will also allow the comertialization of Cantenna's for Mac, currently limited by the internal connections to the "standard" Airport card.

TEG

Gus
Aug 19, 2003, 06:56 PM
Looks like I wasn't the only one who recently found this out.

http://www.appleturns.com/

Regards,
Gus

Powerbook G5
Aug 19, 2003, 07:12 PM
Most of us knew from the first day...there have even been countless pictures of both of them sticking out from the ports. The Airport Extreme is included and if you buy bluetooth, you'll get that one to plug in, too.

KentuckyApple
Aug 20, 2003, 12:36 AM
In my rush to order my G5 I did not include airport. I was looking at prices today and was concerned about the issue of the antenna. Apparently, it is included.
Look where it says hardware accessories. Also, who cares about the fact that the antenna sticks out the back. What about your power and monitor cables?

http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

Powerbook G5
Aug 20, 2003, 12:52 AM
Yep, it is included...and it isn't that big of a deal. It improves the signal strength, plus, I bet it opens the market up for high powered extra strength/range antennae, too.