Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleprince

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
I want to buy a mac to write & record music, I'm looking at getting the Mac Book Pro - what software package should I use LP7 or PT LE?

(Out of curiosity how much is Pro Tools LE software?)

bwv1013

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2007
I have Logic and it rocks. I don't use Pro Tools personally but I've done recording gigs that use Pro Tools. From what I have gathered what it really comes down to is your workflow preferences and which software is better to meet any of your specialized needs.

zygo

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2006
UK
I use both, although I use PT m-powered (essentially the same as LE-but will run off an m-audio interface).

For audio recording and editing I'd recommend Pro Tools.

I also use PT primarily when midi programming, but that's down to personal preference.

The downside of PT is that it only comes with very basic plugins-EQ, compressor, reverb etc. No real soft-instruments.

Whereas Logic gives you everything you need-and some very powerful plugins.

It really comes down to the software interface and which you find more comfortable/speedy to work in.

Also if there is any truth at all in the rumors that Logic 8 is just around the corner, it might be worth waiting to see how much has improved in the new version before commiting either way.

If money isn't an issue and you're looking at a career in music then I'd get both-that way you will be able to work with nearly anyone in the industry(most use one or the other).

zygo

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2006
UK
UK prices

LE prices go from around £200 to £600 depending which mbox you get.

M-powered you can get for about £160 (just the software) you then need to buy an m-audio interface £100-£400 (depending which model).

If you decide to go with logic bare in mind you would still have to cost in an interface.

All are available with educational discount if you are a student (except the m-audio interface's).

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Generally PT is used by engineer/acoustic recording types cos the MIDI isn;t as well featured and there isn;t the range of musical instrument plug-ins off the shelf.

Logic is used more by producer/composer types.

However this is not exclusively the case, and you need to look at each package to make your own mind up.

I use PT 7 with the Music Prod Toolkit so i can record 96Khz 24 bit directly to my MBP, finished an album just before the summer with that rig and it rocks for productivity.

I don;t use MIDI at all these days, however all the pre-pro was done in Logic.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
The downside of PT is that it only comes with very basic plugins-EQ, compressor, reverb etc. No real soft-instruments.
fwiw, those bundled plugs have gotten a lot better recently (finally). in particular, i find i'm using the digirack EQ and digirack de-esser frequently. and i've been using the delays for years.

not so much the compressor, as i've got other tools for that (though i've heard the latest compressor is decent).

D-Verb, as always, is utter crap.

not to say the plugs bundled w/ logic aren't better (i wouldn't know), just that the digi ones have gotten better than they were.

zygo

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2006
UK
fwiw, those bundled plugs have gotten a lot better recently (finally). in particular, i find i'm using the digirack EQ and digirack de-esser frequently. and i've been using the delays for years.

not so much the compressor, as i've got other tools for that (though i've heard the latest compressor is decent).

D-Verb, as always, is utter crap.

not to say the plugs bundled w/ logic aren't better (i wouldn't know), just that the digi ones have gotten better than they were.

The plugins you do get are reasonable quality with PT, but just the bare minimum of mixing/mastering plugins.

Haven't done a proper comparison of PT plugins Vs Logic, but from working with both I wouldn't say there's an obvious difference-except for reverb... Logic's kick ass on the PT D-verb. Compressor imo is better in Logic too, although the PT one does the job.

If you want instruments or a more extensive range of effects then you don't get them with PT.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
If you want instruments or a more extensive range of effects then you don't get them with PT.
bundled, anyway. we PT users do, however, get the inexpensive but excellent massey plugs. for the time being, we're the only ones.

without having heard any of the Logic compressor/limiters, i'd put up the $89 L2007 limiter against them with a good degree of confidence.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
The new standard PT plugs are great. EQIII, De-Esser III (?), are fantastic for most things. The compressor is actually quite good as well -- still prefer my McDSP plugs, but it's great for a processor-friendly compressor when you've maxed out a lot of your CPU -- or just for a change in color from your other stuff.

The D-Verb is indeed, as noted, utter crap. It's harsh, the resolution is horrible, it just stinks. You can do really well by looking at other companies like McDSP's Revolver or the Waves R-Verb...both companies have "LE" bundles that are pretty affordable and give you a major performance boost regarding the quality of your mixes.

McDSP has the "Project Studio" bundle and Waves has "Musician's Bundle" and "Musician's II Bundle". Both companies offer educational discounts -- so if you're a college student, you may want to ask them about it.

Logic does have some great standard plugins from a sonic standpoint. However, I find the Pro Tools plugs to be much more user-friendly and easy to use -- thats partially due to the great GUI the developers put into them.

All in all, I find, having used both, that Pro Tools is much more efficient for singer/songwriter types. It's easy to import MIDI data and assign to Reason or whatever Softsynth you may have. It's also easier, from a visual and signal routing standpoint, when recording yourself -- vocals, acoustic guitar, piano/keyboard, etc.

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Which version of Pro Tools for surround sound?

Which version of Pro Tools would I need to edit and mix surround sound? I am fairly familiar with how this works with Apple's software, but not sure if the M-powered version of Pro Tools offered through M-Audio can do this.

Thanks,
Martin

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Which version of Pro Tools would I need to edit and mix surround sound? I am fairly familiar with how this works with Apple's software, but not sure if the M-powered version of Pro Tools offered through M-Audio can do this.

Thanks,
Martin

Sadly Digidesign still see surround as the domain of the professional..... You need PT HD to get surround mixing from LE as standard.

Sure you can set up your own multiple buss output from a 003 or M-audio box, but you won't have the benefit of surround panning automation from a simple graphic interface, and you have to bounce the files separately and manage them externally.

Logic, DP4, Cubase/Nuendo and even Live manage it native, why Digi can't is beyond me.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Out of curiosity, does anyone hear know a place near the south end of Michigan where someone could go to try out, look at, and making get a little tutorial/look at Macbook pros or more specifically, Logic Studio, without having to buy it and learn it myself?

daceymathers

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
newyork
I want to buy a mac to write & record music, I'm looking at getting the Mac Book Pro - what software package should I use LP7 or PT LE?

(Out of curiosity how much is Pro Tools LE software?)

I think you should use pro tools LE software.Since it would be more convenient to use pro tools LE software with mac pro and I am also using pro tools LE with mac pro and till now i didn't face any problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.