Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
In advance of the assumed new 6G video iPods:

When you convert DVD to iPod via MTR & Handbrake, how big is the file size? I assume smaller than the Video_TS folder, but how much - say, using the "iPhone" setting for video quality/resolution in Handbrake?

I ask b/c of rumors that the 6G will be Flash-based. If so, would ~16GB hold much video? If files aren't smaller than standard Video_TS, around 5-7GB, maybe not. 32GB would obviously be better but less likely (too $$$).

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
It entirely depends on your bitrate. You'll need audio + video.

OK, going by the MR guide to this, what's the "average" size for an H.264 (iPod quality) AND Mpeg-4 (TV quality) re-encode from the same Video_TS file?

Let's say in % reduction: so if you start from Video_TS, will H.264 be 25% smaller and Mpeg-4 10% smaller? 5% and 1%? 50% and 30%? etc.

fabianjj

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2007
so you mean you're getting 25% off the filesize when converting a DVD to iPod quality? A full DVD is 4,3gb+ and using mpeg 4 or h264 in ipod quality, will give you around 500mb file size.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
OK - tested myself. A 3-hour DVD (4 "1 hr" TV episodes), ~6GB Video_TS, shrunk down to about 1.6GB using Mpeg-4, 2-pass, at slightly-smaller-than iPhone resolution. This was done as a worst-case scenario - b/c will an iPod really need 2-pass Mpeg-4?

So, it's clear an iPhone at 8GB can't hold many of these, but a 16GB Flash iPod (all the way up to a bigger HDD model) would be OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.