PDA

View Full Version : Circuit City Protection Plan = STOOPID.

JohnnyQuest
Sep 4, 2007, 03:55 PM
Ok so. I just called Circuit City about my stupid-ass iPod being weird. My computer doesn't realize it's plugged in and when you move it around, it sounds like the insides are going to fall out. So, since hopefully the new ones are coming out tomorrow and my current one is covered under their warranty, I would like to get store credit in exchange for the stupid-pod. So I call the people at my local Circuit City and tell them my problem. They say i need to call some 1-800 number, send it in, and they will send me a new iPod, or, if not in stock, a gift card for the amount I payed for it originally. I thought I could just bring it in and they would refund it??? Has anyone had similar experiences with Circuit City? Do I actually have to send it in, or can I just bring it to the store? :mad:

lag1090
Sep 4, 2007, 04:52 PM
Most store plans are like that, unless it's specifically a "replacement" plan. I know BestBuy and others have switched from "replacement" plans to "performance" or "service" plans, meaning that the store repairs the product a number of times before a replacement is offered. This is generally standard practice, and the store will generally repair the product three times before replacement is an option. Although replacement is certainly nicer for the customer, I don't really see any problem with having the thing fixed, as long as it actually gets fixed, of course.

bousozoku
Sep 4, 2007, 05:00 PM
Did they say that they would give you a refund on the iPod when you were buying the protection plan? Did you ask?

JohnnyQuest
Sep 4, 2007, 05:23 PM
Well they said that they would give store credit. But I assumed that it was all done in the store.

JohnnyQuest
Sep 4, 2007, 05:56 PM
Alright, here's the plan. I've thought it through. I have enough money to buy an iPod Touch, if its released tomorrow. So I'm going to buy it tomorrow at either Circuit City or Best Buy. Sometime this month, I will deal with the whole warranty thing and just get a $300 gift card for Circuit City.

That took some consideration.

erummel
Sep 4, 2007, 06:11 PM
I'd be careful expecting a $300 gift card/store credit. The way the plans work is they will repair it a certain number of times before any credit is given, like lag1090 said above. The reason you can't go handle it in the store and you have to call the 800 number is because the service is not provided by Circuit City,but rather a contractor. Circuit City has nothing to do with the protection plan, well besides trying to sell it to you.

Also, any store credit they would give to you would only be after several repair attempts. You just can't send them the iPod and ask for store credit. Also, any store credit you could receive will be prorated. I'm not sure how much value an iPod loses when opened, but i'd venture to guess 25-35%... if not more.

The best advice I can give is to read your agreement for the protection plan. You did save it didn't you? It's very, very rare for one of these plans to toss money at you. I'm extremely skeptical.

JohnnyQuest
Sep 4, 2007, 06:27 PM
I reviewed the information they gave me. They said, if my iPod was defective and returned under warranty, I could get store credit for the original amount paid.

poopyhead
Sep 4, 2007, 06:59 PM
I reviewed the information they gave me. They said, if my iPod was defective and returned under warranty, I could get store credit for the original amount paid.

the circuit city warranty is repair, replacement, or (if the item is no longer available in store or in their supply chain) a store credit. If the item is still under manufacturers warranty you typically have to use the manufacturers warranty before you can use the circuit city protection plan. You should be able to return it in store even though they told you not to.