PDA

View Full Version : Palm Cancels Foleo

MacRumors
Sep 4, 2007, 05:18 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

In a surprising move (http://blog.palm.com/palm/2007/09/a-message-to-pa.html), Palm has discontinued the unreleased Foleo mobile companion product that was announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/30/palm-foleo-revealed/) with much fanfare (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/29/palm-to-unveil-new-device-tomorrow/) at this year's D: All Things Digital Conference.

The blog entry written by Palm CEO Ed Colligan states that "it has become clear that the right path for Palm is to offer a single, consistent user experience around this new platform design and a single focus for our platform development efforts."

Canceling the Foleo will cause Palm will take a $10 million dollar hit to their earnings. They plan to focus on their single platform and will consider introducing the Foleo again in the future based on their one platform:
We're not going to speculate now on timing for a next Foleo, we just know we need to get our core platform and smartphones done first.
Palm has certainly seen pressure from Apple's iPhone introduction as well as some public criticism (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/21/dear-palm-its-time-for-an-intervention/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/04/palm-cancels-foleo/)

siurpeeman
Sep 4, 2007, 05:20 PM
i'm not surprised. the foleo did too little in a package that was too big.

newguineafan
Sep 4, 2007, 05:21 PM
Wow, not looking good for Palm, is it??

Sandfleaz
You had to see this coming .. introduced a few weeks before the launch of the iPhone. Even with out the iPhone it was the answer to a question nobody was asking.

kbrain2929
Hmm... Dang! (sarcasticly) Bad for Palm... good for Apple! Good for Apple = Good for me! :apple:

Cameront9
Given the extremely negative reaction from the Press and from users, I wouldn't call this move surprising at all.

Heck, I'd completely forgotten about the product until this story remineded me.

madmaxmedia
Sep 4, 2007, 05:24 PM
Good job. Because before today, I guess multiple, inconsistent user experiences was their goal. WTF?

Taylor C
Sep 4, 2007, 05:24 PM
Definitely not surprising. The Foleo was a ridiculous product in my opinion, it was just unnecessary.

nsbio
Sep 4, 2007, 05:25 PM
How long did it take them to figure it out??? The Palm CEO is an exceptionally smart guy, having authored a must-read book ("On Intelligence"), yet at the same time makes dumb moves, releasing a ridiculous product befitting an idiot. Being smart and an idiot aren't mutually exlusive things after all....

DaveLG526
This was a good decision. It is fortunate in hind sight that there was an incompatibility between the two OS systems that delayed introduction. Killing a bad product before market introduction takes some courage but it is less costly and embarrassing to face the music rather than having the market force a decision after introduction.

Right now PALM seems to still have no clear path.

majordude
A mini-laptop with a fat Treo phone?!

What the hell were they thinking?!

Foleo? It's more like Fooleo.

Besides, Palm is so 1998.

zap2
Sep 4, 2007, 05:27 PM
Wow....Palms got balls!!

I'm very impressed with Palm........to show they listen to the core users.

As much as Apple rocks, they would never do listen to the fans, before something was out.

Black Belt
Oh my god, it looks like Jeff Hawkins finally came to after I beat him up in the alley behind Palm Central. Now if they'll wise up and fix the rest of their problems we'll be much happier.

Luis
It seems they took Engadget's letter seriously!

motulist
Sep 4, 2007, 05:30 PM
The Foleo was such a bad idea from its very conception that it makes me wonder how the person who came up with the idea didn't get fired on the spot just for suggesting such an awful product.

trevorlsciact
My guess: they never planed on releasing it.

Mgkwho
Haha, watch Apple come out with a wireless, mini display at MacWorld.

That would be hilarious.

And stupid. At this time.

-=|Mgkwho

belovedmonster
Sep 4, 2007, 05:31 PM
In Palm HQ what Engadget says goes.

Black Belt
Sep 4, 2007, 05:31 PM
A mini-laptop with a fat Treo phone?!

What the hell were they thinking?!

Foleo? It's more like Fooleo.

Besides, Palm is so 1998.

FOOLeo, did you just think that one up :rolleyes:

Palm is very dated but they did kick Apple's arse before and then went on to invent the smartphone. If they ever come back to their senses and produce something for the 21st century they could be back to kick some more arse. Of course Jeff knows what's coming in the alley if he doesn't wise up.

MacPhilosopher
Sep 4, 2007, 05:32 PM
I remember being excited about the possibilities of a new palm product only to be so disappointed in this backward step. There was so much potential for foleo and so little actuality. They deserve to lose their jobs over that lame product. The CEO should be embarrassed. Even without the iPhone, this piece of garbage was doomed. Once the iPhone was introduced, it pretty much cast the foleo i=on the junk pile. It is even more of an embarrassment when you realize that the iPhone was not even aimed at that market. It was the glaring lack of innovation in the foleo when other products were jumping so far ahead that really overshadowed palm. I would not expect anything competitive from palm for several years. Thats right, several years.

propynyl
Sep 4, 2007, 05:32 PM
well done palm...definitly the right move, that thing made me loose so much faith in palm, I sold my Treo and bought an iPhone...the iPhone is the future, palm is the past.

SthrnCmfrtr
Sep 4, 2007, 05:33 PM
My guess: they never planed on releasing it.

Eh? Why would they do that? Granted, Palm's made some boneheaded moves, but spending $10 million on something and announcing it but not planning on releasing it?

macintel4me
Sep 4, 2007, 05:34 PM
That Foleo thing is just a bad idea. Who would want to carry around a small laptop to make a phone call and get on the internet. That thing was, is and will be a failure. At least they only wasted $10M. In saying that I can't see the CEO lasting much longer given such poor vision and strategy.

flopticalcube
Sep 4, 2007, 05:34 PM
Boy that's one messed up company. Bad idea from the get go.

plumbingandtech
Sep 4, 2007, 05:39 PM
That.
Is.
Comedy.

drater
Sep 4, 2007, 05:42 PM
Thank god! I thought that thing would fail...just didn't know it would fail before it even got out of the gates...

thecritix
Sep 4, 2007, 05:43 PM
at best this is page 2...

what on earth? why is this front page? theres too much rubbish on the MR front page, if theres no news then dont just put rubbish on..

ladbroke
Sep 4, 2007, 05:51 PM
Wow....Palms got balls!!

I'm very impressed with Palm........to show they listen to the core users.

More like they listen to their bottom line. It was obvious when it came out that the Folio was a 1998 answer to a 1994 question. No one took it seriously, and at $500, it doesn't supplement enough of my usage to justify buying it. My T|X does enough of what I need it to do until a price drop on the iPhone makes it a more practical buy.

It's such a shame that the company changed hands, split, re-merged, but never reemerged with any kind of vision. It feels eerily similar to Apple's days of being lost in the wilderness.

s10
Sep 4, 2007, 05:52 PM
SMART MOVE! It was soo obvious that absolutely nobody wanted this thing!
PALM is saving lot's of money by doing this

ebouwman
Sep 4, 2007, 05:54 PM
The foleo was a bad idea from the start i think, it just doesn't have a place. I have a cell phone to call people, and i have a laptop to do everything i need to do on a computer, i dont' need a product that sits in the middle.

plumbingandtech
Sep 4, 2007, 05:55 PM
More like they listen to their bottom line. It was obvious when it came out that the Folio was a 1998 answer to a 1994 question. No one took it seriously, and at $500, it doesn't supplement enough of my usage to justify buying it. My T|X does enough of what I need it to do until a price drop on the iPhone makes it a more practical buy.

It's such a shame that the company changed hands, split, re-merged, but never reemerged with any kind of vision. It feels eerily similar to Apple's days of being lost in the wilderness.

+1

It does not take balls to see you stepped in a pile of #$$% and now want to get out of it.

Just common sense, which although seemingly rare at the company, there is still a scintilla of at Palm.

Dagless
Sep 4, 2007, 06:01 PM
That's a bit of a poor idea :o

Granted if they threw every feature under the sun into a 10" LCD display with onscreen controls. Basically a slab of screen with a little computer inside, then it might be okay.

I'd rather see this functionality in the OQO.

lazyrighteye
Sep 4, 2007, 06:03 PM
Funniest thing I have read all day.

That said, smart (if not Palm's only) move.

Seriously, where does Palm go from here?
Let's play Palm CEO - what do you do?
I'm scratching my head...

flopticalcube
Sep 4, 2007, 06:07 PM
Funniest thing I have read all day.

That said, smart (if not Palm's only) move.

look for another job, fast...

twoodcc
Sep 4, 2007, 06:10 PM
Wow, not looking good for Palm, is it??

yeah, apparently not. this is looking pretty bad for them

n-abounds
Sep 4, 2007, 06:10 PM

what on earth? why is this front page? theres too much rubbish on the MR front page, if theres no news then dont just put rubbish on..

Didn't you get the memo? Macrumors sold out. Tho I forgot the last thing they advertised...some other iPhone competitor IIRC.

arn
Sep 4, 2007, 06:13 PM
Didn't you get the memo? Macrumors sold out. Tho I forgot the last thing they advertised...some other iPhone competitor IIRC.

Yes... we are advertising a discontinued product :)

We covered the Foleo when it came out.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/30/palm-foleo-revealed/

arn

sord
Sep 4, 2007, 06:16 PM
If Palm was to release the Foleo, they should have had an updated BeOS on it or something.

RichP
Sep 4, 2007, 06:23 PM
The Foleo would have been a hot concept...

..5 years ago.

JGowan
Sep 4, 2007, 06:23 PM
Palm Cancels Foleo
Everyone knew this thing was a turd except for Palm. Well, it looks like they’ve figured it out — but only after (a) announcing it; (b) blowing millions on developing it; and (c) its original ship date. The sooner you realize a mistake the better, but at this point it’s hard not to see the company as a joke. Credit, though, to Palm CEO Ed Colligan for making the announcement in his own voice on the company weblog, rather than hiding behind a mealy-mouthed press release.

An even better joke is the name of this site (http://foleofanatics.com/).Gruber has a way of lambasting like no other. Love that guy.

http://daringfireball.net/

zap2
Sep 4, 2007, 06:25 PM
More like they listen to their bottom line..

And who makes that bottom line what it is?

The Core users.

Personal I was thinking about getting one of these...replace my aging iBook with it. I only use Pages, Internet on it...but the lack of a trackpad, plus it not syncing with the iPhone.

cohibadad
Sep 4, 2007, 06:26 PM
Palm customer service was second worst only to AOL IMO. Dealing with them was like dealing with the crew of the titanic trying to keep everyone from rushing the lifeboats before the ship goes down. They have no practical solution to their problem. Their OS is outdated and offering the pathetic windows mobile treo isn't going to save them IMO.

flopticalcube
Sep 4, 2007, 06:28 PM
And who makes that bottom line what it is?

The Core users.

Personal I was thinking about getting one of these...replace my aging iBook with it. I only use Pages, Internet on it...but the lack of a trackpad, plus it not syncing with the iPhone.

Cue the 12" MacBook Pro micro

mac*jedi*g
Sep 4, 2007, 06:36 PM
The Foleo was such a bad idea from its very conception that it makes me wonder how the person who came up with the idea didn't get fired on the spot just for suggesting such an awful product.

And I did get fired for such an awful idea. Damn you Apple products!!!!:D:D

jouster
Sep 4, 2007, 06:37 PM
I'm disappointed. Less choice is always bad for the consumer. Just because this wasn't a well-received product initially does not mean it would always be a bad product.

evilgEEk
Sep 4, 2007, 06:40 PM

Who does the iPhone compete with?

I thought this was a little ridiculous when it was first announced as well. The iPhone basically does all the Foleo does, and more!

Which is why they're canceling it, I'm sure.

Steve1496
Sep 4, 2007, 06:44 PM
This is good for Palm. Palm is a good company that has made decent products, although their ship is sinking fast. The new linux OS looks nice but its keeping with old interface methods, unlike the iPhone (which is why everyone loves iPhone). We'll see how it looks--and any competition is good for the whole market including Apple.

Fading from Windows Mobile is a good idea. Windows Mobile is way too bloated and unstable. Good to hear they're pushing away.

Foleo was a dumb idea and answered a problem nobody really had. Why he thought this was revolutionary is beyond me, but this move signals a good step in the right direction.

Steve

tribulation
Sep 4, 2007, 06:46 PM
I used to love Palm and still would, regardless of the iPhone. The iPhone as mentioned so many times, is closed. Hacks or not, that's nowhere near the true openness of the Palm OS. Anyone that tries to argue that there's no need for 3rd party applications is either insane or just totally apple-brainwashed.

If the Palm OS came back with a vengeance, hence a total revamp, and kept its openness. I'd buy in a heartbeat over the iPhone. But.......

and a BIG BUT:
They MUST must make it sync with Macs natively. The crap that they've been pushing off with their (how many years old now?) Palm Sync programs is horrid. It barely has worked since OS X was released, which was and is a total shame.

So Palm please listen up.....
I think you still have a ton of users that would come back to your platform if you just did a few things right. And don't leave us Mac users in the dark. Make a true iSync conduit and keep it updated, not very hard for a company of your size.

sblasl
Sep 4, 2007, 06:49 PM
And I have an iPhone that can do both:cool:.

The foleo was a bad idea from the start i think, it just doesn't have a place. I have a cell phone to call people, and i have a laptop to do everything i need to do on a computer, i dont' need a product that sits in the middle.

zap2
Sep 4, 2007, 06:52 PM

Not leave...thats what a bad CEO would do....Mr. Dell's famous quote about Apple in 1997?

Personal I would
Drop Windows Mobile...if Palm wants to get back to its old self, they can't be playing catch up....Windows Mobile is fine(not nearly as bad as XP or Vista), but Palm needs something to show they are different.

First I would have released Cobalt a while ago, but its too late. We need to ship Linux on our smartphones NOW! We need media support, play video, music and photo out of the BOX, right plug-ins for iTunes, Windows Media Player and popular media programs for Linux..all the big ones. Support for Mac OS X, XP and Vista and most of all Linux...if our platform is built from Linux, we need to support the desktop users, this brings in a large market that Neo 1973 is try to go after. Team with Opera and get Opera Mini as Palm's main browser...its promise already, and Palm can surly use it the right way.

We'd make 2 Smartphones(for now), simplify the line. 1 Treo

Treo 800p
Brand new Linux platform...with support for lots of older Palm OS app...emulation, until more dev start supporting the new Palm OS.
4Gb Flash Memory, with Micro SD slot.
Slim it down...lots!
High Rex Screen
Push email
Wi-Fi,BT for god sake! This isn't 2001
4MP Camera
Price- 349 2 new year agreement, 599 without

Centro-Replace the Treo 680p(good idea, entering the lower market, but bad job of doing it)
Micro SD slot
BT
Brand new Linux platform...with support for lots of older Palm OS app...emulation, until more dev start supporting the new Palm OS.
Touch Screen(something most low end smartphone lack)
Full Keyboard(one of the best thing Palm has done on the Treo)
1.3MP camera
Price it at 99 with 2 year service agreement, 249 with out.

Most important court developers! Reach out to them, get be excited to make apps for Palm. Start fighting back! Make deals with software companies...get support from Google(recently read a quote saying google won't support Palm because they are dead, or almost), YouTube, Facebook.

**Note, I'm digging this Palm stuff on Macrumors!

areyouwishing
Sep 4, 2007, 06:56 PM
I don't comment that much anymore, but I thought I would on this.

Palm has been actually reading the presses... amazing.

1. Engadget tells them to dump the folio and focus on the smart phone, for good reason.
2. Palm hears that Apple is moving their entire hardware product line to their core OS.
3. Palm realizes they don't have the resources to support a product that they never thought would be big to begin with.

The iPhone Factor (sorry, can't help it)
Seriously though. The Folio didn't even have tabbed browsing. If you have ever used an iPhone you would know you don't need a big screen for the web... just good software.

This large hunk of metal had 256mb of RAM, didn't actually get email directly from a cloud, didn't have tabbed browsing, needed 3rd party apps for a calendar... for the bargain price of $599.

I don't think anyone saw this coming, most companies release bad products only to discontinue them months down the road... that's what I think makes this so shocking.

Black Belt
Sep 4, 2007, 07:05 PM
Not leave...thats what a bad CEO would do....Mr. Dell's famous quote about Apple in 1997?

Personal I would
Drop Windows Mobile...if Palm wants to get back to its old self, they can't be playing catch up....Windows Mobile is fine(not nearly as bad as XP or Vista), but Palm needs something to show they are different.

First I would have released Cobalt a while ago, but its too late. We need to ship Linux on our smartphones NOW! We need media support, play video, music and photo out of the BOX, right plug-ins for iTunes, Windows Media Player and popular media programs for Linux..all the big ones. Support for Mac OS X, XP and Vista and most of all Linux...if our platform is built from Linux, we need to support the desktop users, this brings in a large market that Neo 1973 is try to go after. Team with Opera and get Opera Mini as Palm's main browser...its promise already, and Palm can surly use it the right way.

We'd make 2 Smartphones(for now), simplify the line. 1 Treo

Treo 800p
4Gb Flash Memory, with Micro SD slot.
Slim it down...lots!
High Rex Screen
Push email
Wi-Fi,BT for god sake! This isn't 2001
4MP Camera
Price- 349 2 new year agreement, 599 without

Centro-Replace the Treo 680p(good idea, entering the lower market, but bad job of doing it)
Micro SD slot
BT
Touch Screen(something most low end smartphone lack)
Full Keyboard(one of the best thing Palm has done on the Treo)
1.3MP camera
Price it at 99 with 2 year service agreement, 249 with out.

Most important court developers! Reach out to them, get be excited to make apps for Palm. Start fighting back! Make deals with software companies...get support from Google(recently read a quote saying google won't support Palm because they are dead, or almost), YouTube, Facebook.

**Note, I'm digging this Palm stuff on Macrumors!

You nailed it brother. I would just add - a slide out keyboard (like the HTC Mogul) behind a full-size screen. Basically if they would just one-up the HTC by using a similar formfactor but dumping WinMobile and putting in a 21st century OS then they would have one heck of a device, way more functional than anything out there.

You are right about them trying to cater to WinMob, it doesn't really accomplish anything and your device is impaired by failings of the OS you have no control over.

prady16
Sep 4, 2007, 07:10 PM
Wow........really didnt see that coming.
I guess somewhere behind all this is Engadget's letter to the CEO of Palm.
Did you guys happen to read that?

A Pittarelli
Sep 4, 2007, 07:10 PM
time for palm to whip the iphone off of their chin! :o

ariza910
Sep 4, 2007, 07:11 PM
I may be the only one but I think canceling the Foleo was a stupid move by Palm.

They should have simply changed a few things and it would have opened up a huge market for Palm.

First off drop the tethering to a Treo requirement and make it just an option.

Second beef up the processor so that it can run video on the browser (Palms CEO is quoted as saying something like I wasn't aware of this limitation and we are working on it.')

Make sure that the Foleo can do the following well.
office apps
mail app
calendar/schedule app
browser

If it could do all that it would be perfect for business. The Foleo only does what they need it to do for business and its cheaper than a full blown laptop - plus its probably safer than windows. make it easy for the IT dept to manage and you got yourself a winner.

Secondary market is all those not so tech savvy family members that just need the basics in a laptop.

Sort of sounds like Palms approach with their original Palm PDA doesn't it?

Come on Palm don't give up that easy - how about tweaking a few things and making this thing work/

Marx55
Sep 4, 2007, 07:13 PM
Where is the update to Palm Desktop for Mactel? It has not been updated for ages!!!

rocklobzter31
Sep 4, 2007, 07:16 PM
If the iphone was never introduced this would be the worst post ever. MacRumors.com. Atleast put it on the iphone page arn! ;)

irun5k
Sep 4, 2007, 07:31 PM
I used to love Palm and still would, regardless of the iPhone. The iPhone as mentioned so many times, is closed. Hacks or not, that's nowhere near the true openness of the Palm OS. Anyone that tries to argue that there's no need for 3rd party applications is either insane or just totally apple-brainwashed.

100% agree. I had a Sony Clie running Palm OS and it was a great little handheld. I had all sorts of apps that I liked- a "night sky" astronomy type app, a tide calculator, games, dictionary, you name it. I never crashed the device no matter what I installed on it.

Luckily, the iPhone supports MOST of what I used my Clie for... contacts, calendar, etc. But it would be nice to have third party apps. I'm realizing this more and more. IMHO web apps don't cut it at all. However, some of the apps I used on the Palm platform might not port over well to the iPhone since we have no stylus. Well, actually we do, but it is the size of our index finger. Kind of a klutzy stylus for precision interaction with the screen- say, for playing SimCity or something intricate.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone. It is a device I will use daily which by itself separates itself from PDA's and things I've owned before that I lost interest in because I didn't want to carry yet another gadget around. The iPhone is my iPod, home & cell phone, and PDA. But, 3rd party apps are going to be a must or people will get bored with it. I hope Apple realizes this.

AppleIntelRock
Sep 4, 2007, 07:41 PM
haha. knew it. such a horrible product. reminds me of the alpha-smart "dana"

s10
Sep 4, 2007, 08:00 PM
I may be the only one but I think canceling the Foleo was a stupid move by Palm.

They should have simply changed a few things and it would have opened up a huge market for Palm.

First off drop the tethering to a Treo requirement and make it just an option.

Second beef up the processor so that it can run video on the browser (Palms CEO is quoted as saying something like I wasn't aware of this limitation and we are working on it.')

Make sure that the Foleo can do the following well.
office apps
mail app
calendar/schedule app
browser

If it could do all that it would be perfect for business. The Foleo only does what they need it to do for business and its cheaper than a full blown laptop - plus its probably safer than windows. make it easy for the IT dept to manage and you got yourself a winner.

Secondary market is all those not so tech savvy family members that just need the basics in a laptop.

Sort of sounds like Palms approach with their original Palm PDA doesn't it?

Come on Palm don't give up that easy - how about tweaking a few things and making this thing work/

Basically what your saying is that they should have made a small portable computer......

sigamy
Sep 4, 2007, 08:56 PM
This thing was a dud from the word go. I've owned over 10 Palm devices over the years. I was in the camp of people who thought that some day (like in 1995) everyone would own a Palm Pilot device. Turns out that everyone owns a cell phone. Phone is the killer app, not traditional PIM apps like Palm has focused on.

But, Palm had such a head start, great developers and thousands of third party apps.

Palm should, at least, be the Nokia or LG of today. They should have created a few $99 phones and some free phones. They should be the software company getting money from monthly sub fees, not Apple. The Treo focused on the corporate market and then RIM kicked them there.

Palm and Palm Source and Handspring. Then PalmOne, then Palm, Cobalt OS is no where...then a new OS based on Linux, then licensing Windows Mobile, what a mess.

They now look like a company stuck in the 1990s. They've fumbled too many times. Not sure if they can come back at all now...

Not sure if Hawkins even believed this quote but he said:

"Foleo is the most exciting product I have ever worked on," Hawkins said. (Again, he worked on the Palm Pilot and Treo) "Smartphones will be the most prevalent personal computers on the planet, ultimately able to do everything that desktop computers can do. However, there are times when people need a large screen and full-size keyboard. As smartphones get smaller, this need increases. The Foleo completes the picture, creating a mobile-computing system that sets a new standard in simplicity."

AppleiMac
Sep 4, 2007, 09:04 PM
Wow, this is shocking. I'm very surprised that Palm would be doing this. Hopefully they can get their act together soon..

Analog Kid
Sep 4, 2007, 09:06 PM
Palm was trying to figure out solve the problems in the smartphone market, and they were going to float a product they though might generate some interest. What changed is that over the last few months Apple has made it clear that Palm's thinking was all wrong.

Hopefully they're starting to realize that when their customers say "the keyboard is too small" they don't mean they want a bigger keyboard. They might say they want a bigger keyboard, but they don't. They're just talking about keyboards because they have one in their hand.

carve
Sep 4, 2007, 09:16 PM
That was probably one of the dumbest ideas, ever!

kresh
Sep 4, 2007, 09:20 PM
Wasn't Palm's CEO the one that was trashing Apple when the iPhone was announced.

As a paraphrase I seem to remember him saying that Apple has no experience with Smartphones and it will take them years to get a solid working product like Treo, Don't be surprised if the iPhone's a flop, ect...

I feel sorry for Palm, it used to be such a darling company in the tech world.

pinksalmon
Sep 4, 2007, 09:28 PM
when i saw this thread i said to myself, "what the hell is foleo?" so i googled it on my iphone and learned that this stupid mini laptop i heard about this summer was for real(not for long though) and had even been given a name. i had just been calling it 'stupid' all summer long, silly me:D

Pyrobon
Sep 4, 2007, 09:53 PM
Hopefully they're starting to realize that when their customers say "the keyboard is too small" they don't mean they want a bigger keyboard. They might say they want a bigger keyboard, but they don't. They're just talking about keyboards because they have one in their hand.

Wow. That's brilliant. :) Seriously, that phrase sums up Apple's vision with many products. And it tottaly makes sense. Brilliant.

the.snitch
Sep 4, 2007, 10:40 PM
Palm of the 00's reminds me of Apple in the 90's. They both have a strong brand, but like Apple once was, Palm has become worn down and an easy target to criticize.

They were once innovators in the field, and now seem to be outdated and suffering from a leaky-ship in terms of the top-engineers, Usability experts, R+D/Innovation, and Industrial design, not to mention all the shareholders and consumers who are steeing clear.

Palm needs to seriously focus on what they do best, and get back to being at the top of the industry. I'd love to see some decent competition to the iPhone.
As a Mac user, I'm not too much of a blackberry fan and I personally feel that Palm would be able to do a better job than RIM at providing a smartphone that talks to the Mac natively. I'm sick of putting up with hacked-together bloated third-party syncing software.

I want the fresh palm back, creating devices that we lust over, rather than crummy devices created by some tasteless outsourced developers.

Cyberthato
Sep 5, 2007, 12:42 AM
I find this a sad story, while I didn't quite understand the very concept of the foleo I still like palm as a device maker. I just loved the palm when it was introduced and I still love my lifedrive even though it has been discontinued. The only drawback I can find to it is native mac sync (I just find it stupid to have to press the hotsync button while iSyncing).

If I were palm, I would be worried sick of the pda market (i've never been a smartphone fan) and would just dump windows mobile...

As for the foleo, I'm sorry that they wasted that much time and money that could have been spent on improving their treo and pdas

topicolo
Sep 5, 2007, 12:51 AM
It looks like the clocks at Palm are finally starting to work again for the first time since 2004--that was the last time they updated their OS or released anything really new. The fact that these guys went from such an innovative company to one so devoid of creative intelligence is incredible. Kinda like watching a horrible car accident in slow motion.

DaftUnion
Sep 5, 2007, 02:16 AM
They probably realized that there future development still wasn't on par with the current iPhone.

bousozoku
Sep 5, 2007, 02:51 AM
I'm surprised that they ever got it past the prototype stage. It's an interesting idea with an almost exclusively niche market.

Once again, it's a lack of a visionary and a lack of a vision. They need new blood.

When Handspring was young, they had an add-on module to make your Visor Platinum et al. a phone. It wasn't long after that when the Treo series started, first as an organiser only and then, as a phone.

Obviously, Palm gained a lot from their acquisitions. The Treo line has probably kept them going. They're just all over the place with what they want to do.

All I know is that they continue to make good products with big flaws, like the child's thumb keyboard. Apple was there 10 years ago but things changed.

.Andy
Sep 5, 2007, 03:11 AM
I'm going to go against popular consensus and say that I didn't mind the idea of the foleo and this disappoints me somewhat. I really like my treo 680 and I'd really love to ditch my 12" powerbook for something much lighter that I can carry around the hospital on a daily basis. The foleo seemed to fit that bill perfectly. Hopefully apple will get their at together with a light-weight compact replacement for the 12" in the near future, although the rumours have been rather quiet on that front.

Black Belt
Sep 5, 2007, 10:52 AM
Palm is a fine example of what happens when there is no real competition. Pocket PC tried but was garbage. This led to a complacency that drained their intellectual resources until they woke up one day and said "Sweet Jesus! Look at that iPhone! Where the hell did that come from!"

I think getting back to their core is essential. And if Palm can get in gear, the competition will be great for Apple as well. Two innovative providers can CREATE a bigger and growing market. And their innovations would propel each other.

I am amazed at how many people actually wanted the Foleo. Palm didn't abandon it, just decided to release a better version...later. That's a good decision I think, it may be too early for it. And besides, a fancy device isn't much good if your platform is garbage.

ClimbingTheLog
Sep 5, 2007, 05:03 PM
well done palm...definitly the right move, that thing made me loose so much faith in palm, I sold my Treo and bought an iPhone...the iPhone is the future, palm is the past.

Yeah, if you want to be tethered to the worst network in America on a closed platform.

I would have bought a Foleo for lack of a better product in the segment. They probably had problems getting it to work reliably with the Treo. I used Bluetooth DUN with my Treo and Mac, and the Treo's OS is complete crap. Really. Half the time I have to disable Bluetooth and re-enable it and then re-establish the connection on the Mac. It's awful (but I can work at the beach when needed, so I live with it).

The Foleo would have sunk because the Treo sucks, not because the Foleo would have sucked. It's running a nice linux core that's due to be the basis of the next-gen Treos, available in a few months. Once they have that out in the field and debugged *then* they can introduce a better keyboard/mouse/screen device, but it can probably be USB, and doesn't need to run its own CPU.

The Foleo was the best Palm could do with existing technology - somebody very wise @Palm decided that wasn't good enough. And with the Apple merger happening in late 2008 or 2009 they need to tidy up their house.