PDA

View Full Version : What is a fair price for a 12" G4 PB? (specs inside)

Adokimus
Sep 4, 2007, 10:36 PM
Here's the machine:

12" Powerbook G4
-1.5 GHz PowerPC G4 Processor
-512 DDR SDRAM
-80 GB Hard Drive

He originally asked for $900-$1,000, which I think is BULL.

When I go on Ebay and Craigslist, I keep finding people (especially Apple people, no offense) who think that 3+ yr. old computers are worth as much as new ones! This doesn't just apply to computers, but that happens to be what I'm in the market for at the moment. To put things in perspective, I could get the most recent macbook for $950 as a refurb certified by Apple! The reason I'm not buying the macbook is because I'm not looking to spend that much (just need a budget laptop) and I've always loved the look and form-factor of the 12" PB.

My reply offer was $575. I'm probably going to have to invest in more RAM and a new battery, so I think this is more than fair.

What do you think this is worth? Am I being reasonable? Too cheap? To nice?

Thanks in advance!

Ado

Stampyhead
Sep 4, 2007, 10:49 PM
Assuming the machine is in good condition I'm guessing in the $650 - $750 range. Less for the low amount of RAM but more for the bigger HD. Does it have a superdrive or just a combo drive?

AlBDamned
Sep 4, 2007, 10:58 PM
Here's the machine:

12" Powerbook G4
-1.5 GHz PowerPC G4 Processor
-512 DDR SDRAM
-80 GB Hard Drive

He originally asked for $900-$1,000, which I think is BULL.

When I go on Ebay and Craigslist, I keep finding people (especially Apple people, no offense) who think that 3+ yr. old computers are worth as much as new ones! This doesn't just apply to computers, but that happens to be what I'm in the market for at the moment. To put things in perspective, I could get the most recent macbook for $950 as a refurb certified by Apple! The reason I'm not buying the macbook is because I'm not looking to spend that much (just need a budget laptop) and I've always loved the look and form-factor of the 12" PB.

My reply offer was $575. I'm probably going to have to invest in more RAM and a new battery, so I think this is more than fair.

What do you think this is worth? Am I being reasonable? Too cheap? To nice?

Thanks in advance!

Ado

The 12" PB is now quite a highly-desirable second-hand item and so fetches a premium. if you find a good one it's worth more than you would think - especially in comparison to a similarly aged and specced PC laptop (a no brainer - obviously ;) ).

Bear in mind I think that Apple.com was recently selling refurb 12" PBs for about $1200 or more and I've seen good ones go on eBay Australia for just a couple of hundred dollars less than a well-specced 15" PB.

Angrist
Sep 4, 2007, 11:02 PM
Thats the best form factor Apple laptop ever made.
Many of us love our 12" PBs and would pay a premium for a replacement ... so that may be part of the prices that you see.
BUT that being said, I don't think more than $800 would be fair, less with the low RAM (the G4's really need more than a gig nowadays).

AlBDamned
Sep 4, 2007, 11:04 PM
Thats the best form factor Apple laptop ever made.
Many of us love our 12" PBs and would pay a premium for a replacement ... so that may be part of the prices that you see.
BUT that being said, I don't think more than $800 would be fair, less with the low RAM (the G4's really need more than a gig nowadays).

Yeah, I think $700-800 is about right. Less if you're a good negotiator!

ricgnzlzcr
Sep 5, 2007, 08:15 PM
I think 650-700 range would be a fair deal. Not an amazing deal for either party though. I sold a 1.33ghz 12 inch powerbook g4 for $800 August of last year on craigslist and only because I got lucky. There wasn't much interest at that price once the macbooks were announced.

Reflow
Sep 5, 2007, 08:58 PM
Well I have the exact model but with more memory added. Now granted if you ever saw my PB you would think it's still BRAND NEW, but that just me being anal I guess. In my opinion since there is no 12" replacement that's why the price is still high