PDA

View Full Version : possible ibook hard drive problem?

gregjp48
Sep 5, 2007, 12:55 AM
instead of the usual *BUZZZZZ-Buzz-buz m*y ibook's hard drive or motion sensor or whatever makes, today I heard a *wheeeee whep* when I woke my laptop up from sleep mode. Is this something to be worried about? it went back to normal in a few minutes (involving a reboot). Sadly, I don't have a backup hard drive, and only a combo drive, so I'm worried about the applications and preferences on the system (not as much about the files, as it's mostly school work that is easily tranfered to cd).

Maybe I'll print out a list of the programs from the finder first thing tomorrow. How would i go about backing up preferences and bookmarks etc. to a CD or another drive, since I don't have a copy of Apple's Backup, and as previously said, I can't possibly create a clone.

So is it something to worry about? I've noticed the right side of the case caves in and i can't get anything into the optical drive without gently re-widening it. Is this part of it? Is it indeed the hard drive spinning up that makes that noise when the sleep light goes off, or is it the optical drive? Thanks in advance for the help.