Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm still running 10.3.9 and not planning on upgrading until 10.5 is out.

I ended up having to return an iPhone a month back because the minimum system requirements demanded that I was running 10.4.10.

Using a little logic, does anyone else think that the new iPods will require 10.4.xx or will anything earlier suffice?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Bet you anything it's a minimum of Tiger... no-one knows yet, but that's my immediate and considered (kneejerk :D) view.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
Mother !@#$%^&^

This means that I'll have to be waiting another two months to get anything new :apple:. :mad:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You should be able to get Tiger by now for a lot less than $129... there have to be tons of retail box installs floating around that got orphaned one way or another....

EDIT: It's sold for as little as $51USD shipped on eBay in the recent past.... Could certainly pay that for it now and turn it around when Leopard comes out for little to no loss.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
I think I'm going to have to find a friend who has a copy of Tiger.:(

What really sucks is that I have a copy of Tiger.... for Intel. I'm running a G4!:mad:

Not getting anything new until Leopard is released.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I was just about ready to order an iPod touch (I've been waiting years for an iPod and I promised I'd buy it immediately) but I'm on 10.3.9 and the touch requires Tiger. Well that's screwed us over.

I only want the iPod for music, wouldn't it even let me transfer music? Even if I put it into disk mode iPod?

Even the new shuffle requires 10.4 - this must be some sort of joke?

I still wanna order this iPod touch. And no, I won't be buying Tiger (unless it's confirmed that Leopard won't support G3 machines.)

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Re: the shuffle requiring 10.4, in my opinion, that's utter rubbish, as the only difference seemingly is the color. I think Apple just wants to push 10.4 (and later 10.5), and MAYBE the new shuffle will run under Panther, as I think the only difference between the new shuffle and the original 2G are new colors right?

Re:Leopard on G3-okay, it looking like it's final that Leopard will not be supported on G3s (and maybe even pre 800mhz G4s! [the dev builds required this]). Besides, why would anyone want Leopard on a G3? It's probably about time to buy that new machine! Besides, Tiger is great on a G3, and 10.4 will likely be supported until 2009 (when I think 10.6 will be released).

Re:New iPods with Panther-okay, no offense, but if you're still using Panther on your main machine, you've had over 2 years to upgrade to Tiger, besides, Apple will likely be discontinuing security updates for Panther anytime now. And, if you're waiting for Leopard, I think one can last 4 weeks without an iPod to sync..

(Please don't kill me; Just my OPINION)

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I think Apple just wants to push 10.4
I agree. So why are they doing this to the iPods now, when they are fully aware there are still millions of 10.3 users waiting for Leopard before they upgrade?

Re:Leopard on G3-okay, it looking like it's final that Leopard will not be supported on G3s (and maybe even pre 800mhz G4s! [the dev builds required this]). Besides, why would anyone want Leopard on a G3? It's probably about time to buy that new machine! Besides, Tiger is great on a G3, and 10.4 will likely be supported until 2009 (when I think 10.6 will be released).
Thanks for the info. That's horrible. As far as I'm concerned, 10.4 ran great on G3 CPUs and I don't think Leopard will run all that badly either.

Re:New iPods with Panther-okay, no offense, but if you're still using Panther on your main machine, you've had over 2 years to upgrade to Tiger
Well this is going off topic now, but ever since I saw Tiger I have had zero interest in it. I saw dashboard and spotlight - they are not worth paying $129 for. Especially when Steve Jobs announced Leopard the same day they released Tiger. I have been patient, but this just frustrates me to high heaven.

What would happen if I tried plugging an iPod touch into my machine?

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
The main reason I'm pissed off at Apple is because they support both the current and the previous version of Windows, but not the previous version of OS X. What is the world coming to?

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Well, Vista was like just released early this year, and Tiger was released back in 2005. Panther users have had 2 years to migrate, while XP users have had 9 months..

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Well, Vista was like just released early this year, and Tiger was released back in 2005. Panther users have had 2 years to migrate, while XP users have had 9 months..
That's not the point, OS X is Apple's OS. They're giving support to 99.9% of Windows users, why can't they do the same for their Mac userbase?

iTunes 7.4 works for 10.3, so I don't see why the iPods can't.

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Yeah, I can understand that, Apple could have dropped Panther after Leopard is released, and I think they should have done that, given Apple's usual treatment of supporting at least two OS' at a time..

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I've just ordered my iPod touch. If it doesn't work I'll just have to borrow a Tiger install disc from work. Piracy disgusts me, but Apple are twisting my arm. I'll just have to buy Leopard on day of release to get it back off my system as soon as possible.

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
I hate to say it, but since the iPhone does not work with 10.3, and the touch is basically the same thing, I think it will still require 10.4.10 (which added iPhone communication support?). I think only the new shuffle may unofficially run on Panther (as new version is basically just new colors right?).

Anyway, it does not hurt trying, does it?

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
It's kind of a puzzling move. Apple is abandoning a bit under 25% of it's OS X user-base with Panther users when they released these new iPods (WWDC said 25% were running Panther) yet because I don't want to pay for a couple of new features I can't run the new iPod?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.