PDA

View Full Version : Samsung monitors


kenyabob
Aug 13, 2003, 04:55 PM
does anyone in here have a Samsung monitor with their apple, specifically the 191t? I want to know how they perform, so any help would be great...

crazzyeddie
Aug 13, 2003, 05:03 PM
almost all crt's work the same... you should check general reviews (even from PC users) because VGA is VGA no matter what platform you are on.

Kwyjibo
Aug 13, 2003, 05:50 PM
I have the Samsung Syncmaster 753DF 17" FlatScreen CRT, for my windows xp home pc. It runs fine haven't had any problems. Owned it for about a year and I would defiantely purchase it again .

MacBandit
Aug 13, 2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by crazzyeddie
almost all crt's work the same... you should check general reviews (even from PC users) because VGA is VGA no matter what platform you are on.

Most of them have the same tube but the tube is only a tube without a controller card which the company usually makes themeselves. There's a huge difference in quality of monitors even using the same tube. Proper focus, proper refresh, proper color accuracy are a few things that they need to have also cheaper monitors tend to have a lot of drift. Which is how the display geometry changes between cold and hot.

mnkeybsness
Aug 13, 2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
I have the Samsung Syncmaster 753DF 17" FlatScreen CRT, for my windows xp home pc. It runs fine haven't had any problems. Owned it for about a year and I would defiantely purchase it again .

i have the same monitor on my mac. i do wish it had a larger resolution, but other than that i am very happy with the monitor, especially since i got it for $120 brand new.

Kwyjibo
Aug 13, 2003, 07:15 PM
mine was pretty cheap too but i don't remember the price. In a family setting my parents and my little sister like to run the res. in win xp at only 800x600 so it looks excellent, also with windows 800x600 is comfy but with my mac i use the standard 1024x768 on the 12" iBook.

mikeyredk
Aug 13, 2003, 07:27 PM
samsung 900nf no problem here just takes awhile for it to startup on boot up don't know if thats normal

robbieduncan
Aug 14, 2003, 03:57 AM
I have a 191T (which I mostly use with my pc but have used with my iBook). I've only had it for around a month but would have to say it's excellent. Much better than any Apple display in terms of brightness, contrast and refresh speed. I also really like the styling. My only complaint is that 1280x1024 looks a little bit large on a 19" display.

Duff-Man
Aug 15, 2003, 11:36 PM
Duff-Man says....just to clarify for all you responders talking about CRT's - the 191t is an LCD model. I can't comment on this specific model, but will add that I use 2 of the 172T LCD's (17" - 1280x1024) and they are fantastic. Personally, i would find the native 1280x1024 on a 19" model a little bit too large for my liking......oh yeah!

SLJ
Aug 15, 2003, 11:54 PM
Samsung monitor are very average in terms of quality of the display and refresh rate, it really depends what you want to do with your computer... anything tha deal with graphic, cad, visual... stay away from Samsung. Do yourself a Favor... Get a SONY 21" CRT or an APPLE Cinema display... the only thing that would justify your need... but if you are using it as a general display.. Samsung is fine...

rumpole
Feb 20, 2004, 11:35 AM
I have a Samsung 191T on my 300 MHz G3 beige desktop, plugged into a dongle. Great monitor, the only problem is that every once in a while, for no discernable reason, it will just go blank, and the power light flashes. Nothing short of rebooting will bring it back to life. I don't know where the problem lies, it's just really annoying when it happens. Anybody else have similar problems?

advres
Feb 20, 2004, 01:33 PM
i love my 955DF Samsung flat panel. It's now two years old and have had no problems with it. It was pretty cheap also.

Crikey
Feb 20, 2004, 02:13 PM
My sweetie runs a Samsung 191T on her 466MHz G4 tower. I think it's a good looking monitor for the price. The image quality is decent, and the monitor is sleek looking with the small bezel. She has her Mac plugged into the DVI input using a $25 adapter, and her PC plugged into the analog input on the 191T, and can switch between the two using a button on the monitor's bezel.

She and I both like the 19" 1280x1024 better than the 17" 1280x1024s, but we are in our late 30s so our eyes might not work like yours. Her monitor is easier on the eyes than my 20" Dell 1600x1200 LCD is.

We did a lot of comparison shopping, and the 191T seemed the clear choice at the time. That was nearly a year ago, and times change.

Good luck!


Michael

Makosuke
Feb 20, 2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by crazzyeddie
almost all crt's work the same... you should check general reviews (even from PC users) because VGA is VGA no matter what platform you are on.
Originally posted by MacBandit
Most of them have the same tube but the tube is only a tube without a controller card which the company usually makes themeselves... Obviously the monitor is a LCD so these posts are both off the mark, but what crazzyeddie was getting at and MacBandit missed is valid; for the most part a monitor is a monitor, so reading reviews on webistes, PC-centric or otherwise, should give you a general idea of whether it's a worthwhile piece of hardware or not.

Of course, there's always a very small chance of a monitor having some oddball Mac-specific quirk, and comments from real users here are as trustworthy as most hardware review sites, so it's still a legit question.

MacBandit
Feb 20, 2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Makosuke
Obviously the monitor is a LCD so these posts are both off the mark, but what crazzyeddie was getting at and MacBandit missed is valid; for the most part a monitor is a monitor, so reading reviews on webistes, PC-centric or otherwise, should give you a general idea of whether it's a worthwhile piece of hardware or not.

Of course, there's always a very small chance of a monitor having some oddball Mac-specific quirk, and comments from real users here are as trustworthy as most hardware review sites, so it's still a legit question.

Whether or not it is a CRT, LCD, Plasma, DLP, etc. does not matter. The display devices are typically used by many manufacturers and the main difference between a crummy display and a good one is the controlling hardware that that manufacturer puts into the display.

I've been hearing excellent things about Samsung from the home theater crowd so I suspect that quality probably carries over to the computer displays.