PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch Released

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

smurfy
Sep 5, 2007, 12:36 PM
Talk bout it in here.

More info when Engadget posts it (yup im stealing :))

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/09/dsc_7637.jpg

It has WiFi, and a contacts screen....???

macdaddy121
Sep 5, 2007, 12:42 PM
Price will be a major factor....Steve has not mentioned it yet....

itickings
Sep 5, 2007, 12:47 PM
Price will be a major factor....Steve has not mentioned it yet....

I fore one hope it will be expensive as hell, so that I can resist buying it. :p

bcooper0125
Sep 5, 2007, 12:47 PM
As soon as this is over, I'm SOOO going to the Apple store to buy one! That's amazingly hot. I've been waiting for this for a long long time. My 5.5gen iPod has a huge scratch on its screen and I can't even read it.

Darn! Not until later in the month. That actually is better...that'll give me time to free some room on a credit card :D

danny_w
Sep 5, 2007, 12:48 PM
8GB/16GB for $299/$399, available later this month.

macdaddy121
Sep 5, 2007, 12:48 PM
It seems to have everything but the phone, I would imagine the price will start around $350....they need to have some distinction between the ipod touch and the iphone....

EDIT: I was a little late....I like their prices better....hahaha

downingp
Sep 5, 2007, 12:50 PM
only 8gb and 16gb??? come on. I need more than that!!!

Diode
Sep 5, 2007, 12:50 PM
Meh I'll stick with my iphone :-p ... just the ipod features alone really aren't worth it IMO for such small disk size and high price.

odinsride
Sep 5, 2007, 12:51 PM
16gb?? Not big enough for me....I'll be going with the 160gb ipod classic :D

Stuipdboy1000
Sep 5, 2007, 12:53 PM
iTunes wi-fi music store!!!!

tuosfan
so i can't buy today ? :(

macdaddy121
every one is right....8 and 16 gb is pretty small for this being the flagship ipod....especially with video functions....

WillMak
Will I be able to use google maps and safari on the new touch ipod?

MaskedPhantom
Sep 5, 2007, 12:54 PM

Indeed.

OrangeCuse44
damnit, its PERFECT except for capacity. i would take a thicker one with high capacity........................

bcooper0125
I need more than that too, but my thought on it is that I never seem to listen to all that I have, and a nice shuffle with less of the junk would be better for me...so I think I'll get the 8GB and just change it around more often.

Though I do like the 160GB idea on a Classic...

I don't like the new Nano's though....they're too weird looking...

I'm hoping for iTunes 8 now... :D

Vanilla
Sep 5, 2007, 12:56 PM
For the first time in my Apple life I am actually angry with an announcement. All this hype about the forthcoming iPod Touch and they release it - a product built for Video - with a MAXIMUM of 16GB? I await with interest to read the resident Apple sycophants justify that one..I could understand the HD limitation with the iPhone, but an iPod??? What an incredible, mind-boggling missed opportunity.

homeboy
Sep 5, 2007, 12:57 PM
ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

It is everything I hoped for with the right price as well but I much rather have a few millimeters more or thickness and freaking harddrive than sissy 8GB or 16GB. Now I'm going to have to settle for the iPod Classic.

.................or wait next year for a 32GB flash based iPod touch.

MacRumors
Sep 5, 2007, 12:58 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple also released the iPod Touch today, featuring full, touchscreen controls like the iPhone. Included apps are Calendar, Clock Contacts, Calc, Settings and a few more. Steve Jobs called it "One of the Seven Wonders of the World."

• Thinner than the iPhone - only 8mm
• Same multitouch pinch & spread zooming controls for photos as the iPhone
• Same coverflow as the iPhone
• 3.5" diagonal screen
• Wi-Fi 802.11b & 802.11g - it can save your home network setup
• Home button
• Slide to unlock - same as the iPhone
• Sensor for auto-landscape viewing
• Safari - connect to the internet via WiFi
• YouTube via WiFi
• 22 hours audio, 5 hours video playback
• Shipping worldwide this month - already localized into many languages
• 8GB - $299
• 16GB - $399

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/announced-at-apple-september-5-special-event/)

malenfant
Sep 5, 2007, 12:59 PM
Anyone who already has an iPhone is automatically going to pass on the iPod Touch.

Sad to say, but there has been nothing compelling that Steve Jobs has said today for those who already have fairly recent iPods and iPhones.

4np
After 2 years of rumors they finally introduce the iPod touch; but it only has 16Gb at max. Where's the iPod touch 160Gb!!!

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/applebeat/applebeatgoeson186.jpg

The iPod 'Classic' start at 80Gb while the top model is 160Gb... Why don't put it in the high end iPod touch?! There finally is a 3.5" full screen device with not enough storage to put a couple of movies and music on it...

BUMMER!!

gniss39
woo so stoked!! Gettin one of these for xmas! GJ Apple!!

OrangeCuse44
Sep 5, 2007, 01:00 PM
every rumor came true...we get the phoneless iphone but this lame flash hard drive, and ONE more thing, you can get an iPod touch with a classic 100gig HDD! SAY IT!

stuff99
If they don't introduce the iPhone in Canada soon I'll just get one of these babies instead and get another phone

starstreak
So rushed to get the ipod touch out the door. 16gb? That is so lame. Then charging $350+ for it? At least offer it with 80gb. With that much, it'll have the same capacity as the lowest end ipod classic. AND I bet for 90% of ipod users, that would hold the entire song collection.

Artofilm
Sep 5, 2007, 01:01 PM
For the first time in my Apple life I am actually angry with an announcement. All this hype about the forthcoming iPod Touch and they release it - a product built for Video - with a MAXIMUM of 16GB? I await with interest to read the resident Apple sycophants justify that one..I could understand the HD limitation with the iPhone, but an iPod??? What an incredible, mind-boggling missed opportunity.

I like how everyone complains on how they wanted a iPhone w/o the phone....
The iPhone was only 4GB and 8GB, and it was meant to be an everything phone.

I bet ppl would have complained if they introduced a large capacity ipod touch, because it would cost too much money..

You're getting alot of bang for your buck here. People are never happy.

Markleshark
Sep 5, 2007, 01:01 PM
Brilliant. New iPods all round, how everyone can't be happy ill never know. :D

Fastshutter
Sep 5, 2007, 01:02 PM
I'm getting one!!!

cue the haters saying it doesn't have enough storage....

atarigraffx
its pretty badass, im glad its out but im not sure if its for me right this second, ill prolly buy it anyways cause im sure i wont regret it

Scarpad
A Device aimed at video only being released with 16gb of Flash, extremely poor decision there, the Ipod Classic gets a 160gb HD and not these, wow I'm flabbergasted.

shayesky
Sep 5, 2007, 01:03 PM
I am beginning to hate Apple as a company. the had 16gb and auto landscape sensor technology available, that should have been the first iphone. I guess
in 6months, this will be the iPhone update. I will give mine to my wife
and buy another one. ****ers. and still no new Mac Pros. If only
Dell's could run OS X, I would be done with Apple's overpriced hardware.

roguegeek
Sep 5, 2007, 01:03 PM
8GB and 16GB is an absolute joke. Who cares how cool the device is if you can't put anything on it.

aricher
Sep 5, 2007, 01:04 PM
How exactly is this a disappointment? Tons of people have been wanting an "iPhone without the phone." I actually think the price points aren't bad for what you get. That said, I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone and won't be buying one of these.

mainstreetmark
well, it sucks that it's such crappy ipod software. Here's a quick gripe of iPhone's which I hope they fix:

- Hard to rate songs, compared to "classic"
- Coverflow doesn't coverflow a playlist, it only coverflows the whole library
- Scrubbing, especially in podcasts, is ridiculous. The "wheel", which MADE the iPod, needs to come back.

Eidorian
Cheaper then a laptop and just as capable for me. I'll hold out for a refurbished model.

JDN
I want one, now. Well, the plan was get one from Regent Street Apple on London tomorrow, but i just called, the girl i spoke to said, "Sorry sir they don't exist" .... surely if i wanted to buy one tomorrow, they would have to have them in the stock room already? :(:(

petvas
There is no 160GB Flash RAM available...Apparently Apple didnt want to use a hard drive, so 16GB is what we get. I can live with that. We can always sync with iTunes and watch everything we want...

OrangeCuse44
Sep 5, 2007, 01:05 PM
well ive been using a 4g ipod with 20gigs capacity and wanted that extra capacity. but since this iPod touch is unreal, ill prob just sacrifice the space and not have all my tunes with me at all times.

Boulderer2001
I like the look of the touch. I may have to pick one of these up when they are in the stores. I would have sacrificed a slim device for something with more storage though.

Superdrive
The price is right! Sold!

kerotab
I'm sorry but 16Gb isn't gonna cut it for me. It should have been HD based instead of flash. oh well...

mainstreetmark

I bet ppl would have complained if they introduced a large capacity ipod touch, because it would cost too much money..

I like how people complain because they closely follow rumors which naturally build false expectations, and are inevitably disappointed.

FargoRoss
Sick interface, but seriously 8 and 16 GB? that's 10% of what the iPod Classic offers.

That's a serious limitation for a such an otherwise sweet multimedia device. If it's gunna be home to my music, movies, & photos.. i need more storage.

Is the touch screen not compatible with HDDs?

bigandy
8mm thick? OMFGBBQ! :rolleyes:

Lord Bodak
Looks neat, but a no-go for me until it can replace my iPod (which means a heck of a lot more than 16GB of storage).

I think it's hypocritical to run around bragging that it's the "best iPod ever" when it doesn't have the basic capability of STORING MY MUSIC.

Of course it won't be as thin, or as light, but put a hard drive in there and let us have the choice!

starstreak
Alot for $400? I don't think so. 16gb? Seriously? I was set to update my ipod. Now I'm not sure. Steve should've released the 80gb HDD model for $400 (A bit fatter and slightly less battery life, then again, since it needs to be thicker, thow in a bigger battery), the 16GB SSD for $350 (thinner, longer battery life). Then at least people could get what they wanted.

LoganT
Sep 5, 2007, 01:06 PM
I am so sick of hearing how 8 GB's could not possible be enough storage for people. In my iTunes library I only have 113 songs and I occasionally like to watch videos on the go. So 8 GB's for me and others is fine. I'm ecstatic that it only comes in 8 and 16 GB's as anything higher would just be a waste.

LaDirection
A Device aimed at video only being released with 16gb of Flash, extremely poor decision there, the Ipod Classic gets a 160gb HD and not these, wow I'm flabbergasted.

Err, take a wild guest?? The iPhone is 16GB, you think they would release an iPhone like iPod with web with 10 TIMES the storage at the same price??!!

homeboy
Damn the capasity ruins the whole thing. It's a freaking video an music device. 8 and 16GB is far from enough.

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one dissapointed.

I have waited for this in over 6 months so I'll have to settle for an iPod classic in wait for32GB and 64GB versions coming next year.

amac4me
Sep 5, 2007, 01:07 PM
It's FINALLY released. I've been holding out for a new iPod for a while hoping that a touch version would be released. I'm happy to say that I can now go out and buy one :)

I hope my employer's agreement with the Apple Store will apply to the iPod touch. We can get 6% off on iPods.

havenhamilton
well i think apple figured out how to stop the touch from stealing sales from the iphone. make it so small no one would waste their money. i guess ill be getting an iphone down the road and not a touch

PDE
The deal breaker for me is lack of mail. If it had mail it would the perfect travel companion - I could connect at airports, hotels etc to access my email. I guess I can use safari to do that with webmail, but it's not the same thing. It would have been fine to have one with mail and it wouoldn't have eaten into the sales of the iphone since they're really different things. Anyway....

parrothead
Sep 5, 2007, 01:08 PM
This is completely and totally a lame new product. Give me a break. Only 16 gb? This thing is supposed to be better for watching movies than the old iPod. I have been waiting for a widescreen iPod that I can fit ALL of my music and videos on. How gives a #@$# about having it so thin when it is useless as an actual ipod. :mad::mad:

Phobophobia
This is going to sell like hotcakes. It's insane.

LaDirection
I am beginning to hate Apple as a company. the had 16gb and auto landscape sensor technology available, that should have been the first iphone. I guess
in 6months, this will be the iPhone update. I will give mine to my wife
and buy another one. ****ers. and still no new Mac Pros. If only
Dell's could run OS X, I would be done with Apple's overpriced hardware.

Go to Dell.com, configure ANY pro Dell tower to match the Mac pros. The Dells are all more expensive. Same thing on the pro laptops, the Dell comes in at $650 more (with a tv tuner as a plus).

PC's only have a reputation of being cheaper because they offer crappy entry level models and Apple don't. On the high end, Apple is one of the cheapest brand out there.

Aldyn
Sep 5, 2007, 01:09 PM
ugh what. 8/16 gig?

i was so pumped until they announced the capacity.

i still want one, but now it's seeming less reasonable.

OrangeCuse44
I am so sick of hearing how 8 GB's could not possible be enough storage for people. In my iTunes library I only have 113 songs and I occasionally like to watch videos on the go. So 8 GB's for me and others is fine. I'm ecstatic that it only comes in 8 and 16 GB's as anything higher would just be a waste.

You are with a serious minority of people. I honestly didnt think there were people left on Earth with only 113 songs in their library. Most have thousands.

gugy
lame!

16gig max capacity. joke. Why not 160gig? make the device a bit thicker, I don't care.
I guess the iPhone is the winner for me. The capacity is a little less but the option of goggle maps, mail and phone is better for me than the iPod.

Artofilm
Sep 5, 2007, 01:10 PM
AWWWW!

IM PISSED!

I wanted the iPod Touch with no phone, but with a click wheel.
That comes with AT LEAST a 160GB HD. At the respectful price of 299! GEEZ!

If you want a larger ipod, get a classic with 160GB

Chris F
Sep 5, 2007, 01:11 PM
All the people complaining about 8 and 16GB storage need to realize this is a flash device. I'm sure Apple would love nothing but to make it bigger but you need to realize that doing so would be prohibitively expensive.

drugs!
dude, as much as i want to buy into the hype.... it really isn't worth it since my main usage is as a music player.... 16 gb wont cut it if my current 3g 30 gb barely can

Analog Kid
Aw hell. Now I've got a decision to make-- capacity or touch... Problem is when I'm stuck like this I wind up deciding to do nothing. I don't think we'll see hard drive + touch for another year, if we see it then.

What's the obsession with super thin?

OrangeCuse44
Sep 5, 2007, 01:12 PM
So, technically all of NYC is free Wifi access for iPod touch. S-bucks on every corner.

drugs!
All the people complaining about 8 and 16GB storage need to realize this is a flash device. I'm sure Apple would love nothing but to make it bigger but you need to realize that doing so would be prohibitively expensive.

uhhh how so, flash memory is world's more expensive than moving hd

thiago824
16GB? That really pisses me off. With that huge 3.5 screen it is a sin not to include at least 60GB (Hard Drive). That would be great to carry my movies around.

The only reason why I wanted a touch screen iPod to come out was for the bigger screen so I could watch movies in it.

The iPod Classic is just like the older iPods...I am disappointed :apple: :(

stuff99
Sep 5, 2007, 01:13 PM
iPhone with 8gb i can understand because it was a phone first and a device second but 8gb for a ipod touch which is a media device essentially is a bit underwhelming

plumbingandtech
And every complainer that said he was waiting for a full screen ipod is now complaining about the storage (and therefor will not buy one)

The circle of life continues and macrumors aka complain about things apple.

A Pittarelli
an iphone without the phone bit, who would have thought

nukiduz
Come on! After this announcement I thought there wasn't going to be too much whining here in MacRumors and surprisingly you're already complaining... Too little capacity, not available yet.....

This is the best iPod we all could expect.

Scarpad
Sep 5, 2007, 01:14 PM

Eh no, Flash memory is quite a bit More expensive than HD's right not, following your logic the Ipod Classic would be Flash, it ain't

Ubuntu
They really should have just offered an alternative in the shape and form of a thicker iPod Touch with a hard drive.

homeboy

They could have made the capasity bigger by offering perhaps one 80GB HDD version and a 16GB flash version. That would have made everyone happy.

Artofilm
Im definately getting me a 8GB iPod Touch.
Gonna be SHWEET!:D

Who wants to buy my 5G 30GB iPod?

IJ Reilly
Sep 5, 2007, 01:15 PM
The largest capacity flash-based iPod Apple has ever released, with all of the cool features of the iPhone except the phone, all for $299 -- and still people find a reason to piss and moan. Amazing.

Anybody want to buy a used Palm Tungsten E2? Cheap!

Iced Angel
YEAAHHHHH

I'm gonna get one tomorrow :D
I just got a nano last week with my student discount and I never use it, you guys think they upgrade it for me ??

tmoney468
16GB isn't too bad for storing music, but for video that isn't nearly enough. Add the fact of music + video and you're even more screwed with lack of space. I for one would sacrifice battery life for a HD and larger storage.

gugy
why not regular HD on the iPod Touch? make it a bit thicker. no big deal. 16gig for an iPod is too little, for an iPhone is ok because the primary function is a phone and communicator. The iPod is a media player and just 16gig is LAME!

amac4me
Holy smokes ... iPhone price cut :eek: 8GB now just $399

thiago824
16GB? That really pisses me off. With that huge 3.5 screen it is a sin not to include at least 60GB (Hard Drive). That would be great to carry my movies around.

The only reason why I wanted a touch screen iPod to come out was for the bigger screen so I could watch movies in it.

APPLE STOP WITH THE ANOREXIC HARD TO HOLD LOOK! THE IPOD TOUCH WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT PMP!

One Ohm
Sep 5, 2007, 01:16 PM
Will this Do VOIP some how???

Analog Kid
I wanted the iPod Touch with no phone, but with a click wheel.
That comes with AT LEAST a 160GB HD. At the respectful price of 299! GEEZ!

I'd have paid iPhone prices for hard drive touch.

plumbingandtech
I love my iPhone even more today!

Bring on the wi-fi store!

(hugs his iphone.)

bravedeer
People who need to carry their whole video libraries are really insecure. I can understand why you might want all your music. But video, pick a few movies you wanna watch and store it on the iPod. It's not like the battery will last longer than these couple movies, so next time you recharge add different movies.

The majority of people will be satisfied with the capacity. I realize that the majority of macrumors people won't though.

thehouseofdis
Yeah the storage is totally disappointing.

It's such a pain to edit iTunes to only sync 16gb.

I really want the iTouch but I need the storage of the Classic.

Nice to see the metal housing.

madmaxmedia
The thing is, there are a LOT of technical constraints to deal with. The screen and more powerful CPU sucks up a lot of juice.

They could have made a HD-based version, but it would have been a Zune brick. I'm not saying they made the 'right' choice, but I think having the flash-based Touch and the 80/160GB Classic models was a good compromise for now.

The price points are great for 8GB and 16GB. If you really need to carry your entire music and movie collection, then you're going to have to go with the Classic.

Personally, I find 16GB fine. More than enough to have a few movies, and a good selection of music that I actually will be listening to (as opposed to my entire collection, which is great but I have so many genres I go through moods where I don't listen to certain genres for weeks.)

EDIT- I wonder what the final set of apps is gonna be for the Touch. I hope Notes is on it, or that it can be hacked and copied...it's not like it's the killer differentiating app, I just want it for personal use.

parrothead
Sep 5, 2007, 01:17 PM

Flush the @#$# down the toilet. What everyone is saying is put a friggin HARD DRIVE in the things and make it usable.

4np
I like how everyone complains on how they wanted

I bought my 2nd gen iPod 20Gb for € 649,- (about $ 888,- USD)... I just want a high end device and this is a cripled device...

starstreak
Um no. The 16gb unit is $399.

The largest capacity flash-based iPod Apple has ever released, with all of the cool features of the iPhone except the phone, all for $299 -- and still people find a reason to piss and moan. Amazing.

Anybody want to buy a used Palm Tungsten E2? Cheap!

tirerim
uhhh how so, flash memory is world's more expensive than moving hd

Exactly -- it would be prohibitively expensive to make it bigger and still have flash memory. Probably add $200 to the price to bring it up to 32 GB.

Personally, I'm glad they're transitioning to flash. Hard drives are just too fragile. I want something that I don't have to worry about it dying if I accidentally drop it. 16 GB isn't quite enough for me, but my 3rd gen. still works, so I'll just wait until the prices for flash memory come down a bit farther and they introduce the 32 GB model in a year or so.

freeny
16GB?

Wrong answer Steve:mad:

I would have settled for at least 30GB

Yeah yeah I know everyone is going to say that we are never happy, but its for playing frikin' VIDEO!

Analog Kid
Sep 5, 2007, 01:18 PM
I love my iPhone even more today!

Bring on the wi-fi store!

(hugs his iphone.)
What's the point of the WiFi store if there's no room for new purchases? It's not like I'm going to leave the house empty and just buy stuff on the way...

mdriftmeyer

No.

gugy
iPhone is the clear winner of this announcement today. They are cheaper now and the iPod is not as interesting. So the iPod will be for people who do not want AT&T and do not want to be tied to a contract.

Jon the Heretic
Sep 5, 2007, 01:19 PM
They obviously are massively reusing the iPhone hardware and form factor, which probably precludes them from making a Hard Drive version with much more storage. That's too bad...I think that is a big miss. Even the screenshots look incomplete.

This doesn't preclude them from making a slightly thicker version later with a big HD, so it could have say 160Gigs for storage. With its widescreen, massive storage is a natural for this form factor: video sucks eat up storage like a frog gobbles up flies. You might not be able to do that with a phone--still need to stick with Flash there...but with an iPod, a big hard drive should be a natural.

I think they have found a quick way to exploit iPhone envy...get some cash from folks by making a slightly cheaper iPhone...with no massive AT&T cell contract. And ironically, without cannabalizing on the iPhone sales as much as if they had a 160 gig model.

In 6-9 months, they could create a HD model and sell this all over again and to the same audience. By holding back on what is the obvious next step in the evolution of this device, they have created a renewable revenue stream.

thiago824
Sep 5, 2007, 01:19 PM
People who need to carry their whole video libraries are really insecure. I can understand why you might want all your music. But video, pick a few movies you wanna watch and store it on the iPod. It's not like the battery will last longer than these couple movies, so next time you recharge add different movies.

The majority of people will be satisfied with the capacity. I realize that the majority of macrumors people won't though.

Insecure? I have 12GB worth of songs, so that leaves me what with 3GB of video to store? So people who carry their whole music library are insecure as well? Then why didn't Apple just come out with a 2GB iPod instead of a 160GB?
More props to you secure man.

starstreak
Sep 5, 2007, 01:20 PM
Oh they droped the price on the iphone from $599 to $399, which they HAD to do, now that they came out with the 16GB ipod touch. So big deal. This is what the price should've been, but of course this curbs mass buying and shortages.

plumbingandtech
Get over yourself.

I have not even filled my 8 gig up. (are you saying you are going to buy 8 gigs of stuff everytime you leave the house HA!)

If I had a dollar for every character that insists that HE MUST CARRY ALL 666 GIGS of his music around I would be rich enough to buy the complainers a free Zune.

Tenurn
We must rename this to the iTouch!

Lesser Evets
I just purchased one...

in my mind.

skylerdavid
I think apple has made quite the smart move. at least to me.

I can use my 60 gig 5th generation iPod for my large collection of music. Then get the iPod touch for things i really like to watch, or i can just swap em out on my laptop. i know videos add up quick, so i'd definitely go with the 16 gig.

ALSO, don't be confused with the Starbucks WiFi. They never said anything about free wifi at Starbucks stores...only access to iTunes WiFi. As far as I know, Sbux still has a deal going w/t-mobile hotspot...but that may change as well.

Rocketman
Sep 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
This a world-killer product.

With an earbud and microphone combo and a software update or a web based app, this in now also VOIP capable!

The holy grail has indeed arrived. 7th wonder indeed. UPOD.

Rocketman

AJ Muni
16 GB is just right for me. I've had 80 GB ipods, and 8 GB nanos...and to me i like to have on my ipod on what i want to hear, not have the whole damn collection. Even 10GB for music, and the other 6 for video is perfect. I love the wifi..thats what sold it for me!

IJ Reilly

I wouldn't even call it the majority, just the vocal geek minority. Apple has already sold millions of shuffles and nanos to folks who don't feel the need to carry their entire music collections with them everywhere they go. I don't remember hearing any griping about that. This is an amazing product for the price. The wifi web browsing alone is worth the price of admission.

Ovs
I can't understand why people are acting so surprised. It was obvious that the touch screen iPod would be flash based in order to keep consistent with the form factor, battery life, and usability of the iPhone. Why anyone thought they would try and squeeze a hardrdrive in there, god knows.

rjflyn
Sep 5, 2007, 01:22 PM
M$ is gonna be pwwnd for Christmas.

Rj

aswitcher
Sep 5, 2007, 01:22 PM
Very happy with this release. Just wish I could get an iPhone downunder.

4np
Sep 5, 2007, 01:23 PM

I don't care.. make it bigger! I want storare, screen estate and touch!

ziwi
Sep 5, 2007, 01:24 PM
So the phone and touch are the same price? 8GB iPhone = 16 GB iPod touch...

Frisco
This stinks! I have a terabyte of music. I guess I'll have to wait until they up the storage.

starstreak
Unless I missed soemthing, doesn't itunes hate to work with multiple ipods? Like you buy a song, it'll go only on one ipod, not two?

I think apple has made quite the smart move. at least to me.

I can use my 60 gig 5th generation iPod for my large collection of music. Then get the iPod touch for things i really like to watch, or i can just swap em out on my laptop. i know videos add up quick, so i'd definitely go with the 16 gig.

ALSO, don't be confused with the Starbucks WiFi. They never said anything about free wifi at Starbucks stores...only access to iTunes WiFi. As far as I know, Sbux still has a deal going w/t-mobile hotspot...but that may change as well.

notjustjay
Have all you complainers considered what would happen if Steve had announced the iPod touch with a nice large hard drive in addition to the full-screen, full-colour (and full-time) touch screen?

Edit: and WiFi too!

"It's got a battery life of 6 hours for audio, and 45 minutes of video. Woohoo!"

Seriously, let's think about this.

Dimwhit
I can't understand why people are acting so surprised. It was obvious that the touch screen iPod would be flash based in order to keep consistent with the form factor, battery life, and usability of the iPhone. Why anyone thought they would try and squeeze a hardrdrive in there, god knows.

Precisely. The outrage is odd, to me. As 32GB flash becomes reasonably priced, I'm sure it will find it's way into the Touch.

I think Apple hit a Grand Slam today. From the Shuffle to the Touch, this iPod lineup is absolutely amazing. I honestly don't know which one I want to buy.

blackcrayon
Sep 5, 2007, 01:25 PM
Im sure someone will come up with a way to copy files from my home library to the ipod touch over wifi, then I won't have to worry about that one missing song I need to play when I'm out somewhere ;)

(That's the real thing for me- I NEVER need my whole song library with me at all times, but I can't always predict in advance which songs I DO need).

(and yes, i know it would be silly to try to download 500 songs over wifi ;)

cionheart
Sep 5, 2007, 01:25 PM
I understand that some of you are upset about the small storage place. But remember this thing has WIFI. If it can stream videos from my Mac (CAN it stream video?) then the storage itself is not that bad. Enought for on the go and the internet and your complete video library in your hands while at home - enough? :D

Ted Witcher
Sep 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
Excellent, much better than I expected. I like the idea of a flash drive -- faster, no moving parts. It also encourages delving more regularly into your music library to change things up, as I, like most people, never listen to every goddamn thing on my HD iPod. Plus WiFi? They nailed it.

starstreak
Sep 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
No, WHen you make the unit bigger for the HDD, put a bigger battery. Now then. Its heavier, a little bit thicker. BUT has 80-160gb? Whoohoo I'll buy that for $400. If I can watch 4 hours of vid, then that'll work for a plane trip. And god that would be like forever in listening songs. :)

Have all you complainers considered what would happen if Steve had announced the iPod touch with a nice large hard drive in addition to the full-screen, full-colour (and full-time) touch screen?

"It's got a battery life of 6 hours for audio, and 45 minutes of video. Woohoo!"

Seriously, let's think about this.

celavato
Sep 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
After 2 years of rumors they finally introduce the iPod touch; but it only has 16Gb at max. Where's the iPod touch 160Gb!!!

Fun announcements today, but I agree. Despite having an iPhone, I would also like to have a media player with a large screen with a lot more storage.

So, do I keep my 60 GB iPod or buy the 160 GB Classic? I don't know, but I sure would have bought a 160 GB Touch.

Another possible error -- not keeping a version of the current nano for gym rats and others who want something very small with a screen, but don't need videos.

akac
Sep 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
Some of you complainers make me sad for humanity. While you may buy a thick 160GB iPhone Touch most people won't because its too thick. Thin is what people buy. Get an iPod Classic at 160GB and get most of the great features.

homeboy
Sep 5, 2007, 01:28 PM
^^
Hard drive doesn't mean that it's dead thick. just look at the iPod G5, it thin enough for me.

Sorry homie. No mic.

shoelessone
8 gigs is perfect for me. 16 gigs is better.

I made due with my 2 gig nano, and at any given time only listen to about 4 or 5 albums, and even then only 5 or 6 tracks from each album.

This is a dream come true :)

How can someone vote NEGATIVE for this? What the hell do you want on a flash device? This thing is just HOT and THE BEST lineup ever for iPods, more than enough for most users out there, while at the same time being THE BEST screen ever! GO APPLE!

stcanard
Sep 5, 2007, 01:29 PM
Precisely. The outrage is odd, to me. As 32GB flash becomes reasonably priced, I'm sure it will find it's way into the Touch.

Unfortunately the apparent outrage is completely expected.

It comes from the group that hang around Apple sites at release time so they can gripe.

Anybody who didn't know yesterday that it would be flash based was fooling themselves. 16GB is a bonus -- I would have expected iPhone sizes.

I still happily use a 10GB 3gen. This is the first iPod that has left me considering upgrading, and I get an extra 6GB to boot. As for video, that's what youtube is for...

AustinJamMan
Sep 5, 2007, 01:30 PM
I don't hear the complainers mentioning the old 'classic' hard drive skip while working out or jogging. eh? anyone?

This is a sweet device, but my 8gb iPhone is plenty at the moment, so I'll hang tight. Might have to get a new Nano though......any word if the Nike+ kit will work in the new line? I'm going to assume it will for now.

stuff99
Sep 5, 2007, 01:31 PM
the question for me is should i go for the ipod touch or iphone...the prob with iphone is 1. its not available in canada and 2 not sure if i can turn off edge or the data transfer costs will kill me

skylerdavid
This stinks! I have a terabyte of music. I guess I'll have to wait until they up the storage.

dang. but i have to ask...how much of it have you actually listened to? ;)

i just think its sad that music in this generation is based on quantity, not quality. ok, you have a terabyte of music. unless you use lossless encoding, i highly doubt you listen to...how many songs is that? hundreds of thousands of songs?

maybe its just me, but i really appreciate that the Touch only has 16gbs. Might teach people thats really all they need on the go :cool:

Dagless
16gb? WTF.

No deal Steve. No matter what other features it has. Frankly for $100 (£50) more I'd rather get the iPhone...

One Ohm
This a world-killer product.

With an earbud and microphone combo and a software update or a web based app, this in now also VOIP capable!

The holy grail has indeed arrived. 7th wonder indeed. UPOD.

Rocketman

This is the thing for me IF it will take accept ? earbud/mic combo ?, and a small SKYPE APP or a small safari based VOIP app...

I'm all in!!!!

8bitrevolution
I guess that puts a rest to the "a wifi iPod will canabilize iPhone sales and Apple will never do it" argument.

Markleshark
http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch

Not finished yet. ;)

shadowmoses
Sep 5, 2007, 01:32 PM
This is a sweet device, but my 8gb iPhone is plenty at the moment, so I'll hang tight. Might have to get a new Nano though......any word if the Nike+ kit will work in the new line? I'm going to assume it will for now.

Pretty much 100% sure it will work. The big question is will it work with the iPod touch as its Flash??

homeboy
Sep 5, 2007, 01:32 PM
Bitches don't know about my dock connector.

The hackers will probably install some sort of Skype on it and create a slick headset for it.

Sep 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
So do it, get an iPhone. The only problem concerns availability for 99% of the countries out there. And that's why I am probably getting an iPod Touch. AWESOME MACHINE!

4np

LOL! Do you give out ftp access? ;)

kitki83
As always the whiners are beginning their routine,

my department and the whole floor are all jumping for either Classic or Touch, everyone is getting them. As of now everyone left for lunch to see if they can get one or online buying it.

havenhamilton
Who wants to buy my 5G 30GB iPod?

ill give you $10 for it

Artofilm

Holy crap!

I think instead of larger capacity iPods comming out, Apple should include a manual for "how to correctly compress your music".

You may have a terabyte of music, but that doesnt mean you have alot of songs. I once had over 4GB of music from about 40 songs :eek:

Compress your music smaller, get more space. Stop whining.

ImAliveUK
Sep 5, 2007, 01:34 PM
What happened to the UK/Europe iPhone announcement? :-(

nbrendal
Apple store is back up...

Iced Angel
YEAAHHHHH

I'm gonna get one tomorrow :D
I just got a nano last week with my student discount and I never use it, you guys think they upgrade it for me ??

any chance for an upgrade ???
does anyone has a experience like this before ?? :(

Manic Mouse
Cue iPhone sales bombing, and being pathetic when released in Europe.

There are way better phones out there, and you can get them free on contracts in the UK and just buy an iPod touch. Then you have a better phone and a better ipod than the iPhone and it'll be cheaper. Woohoo!

Wharrgarbl
Umm hello

This is a tablet with facebook and youtube and a full browser, that also has 16gb of storage.

Yes, you have to choose the 16000 minutes of music that are most important to you when you leave the house, and if you want a song that's not in that 16000 minutes you will have to wait until you get back home.

But in the meantime you have 16000 minutes of music plus news, sports, stocks, facebook, email, flickr, youtube, and AIM. In an 8mm package.

I swear that you guys could get a 1x1x1mm iPod with a 90" screen and Steve Jobs delivers it personally and gives you a reacharound for good measure, and you would whine.

starstreak
At the rate the SSD are dropping in price, I think Gates could've EASILY released a 32GB (which I think it most reasonable size) version of Ipod touch. I bet knowing how well it'll sell, he could've easly started a price drop war on SSD just for his Itouch. :) He doesn't need to wait till next year or Christmas to release one.

4np
Sep 5, 2007, 01:36 PM
I don't hear the complainers mentioning the old 'classic' hard drive skip while working out or jogging. eh? anyone?

LOL, I don't jog/workout ;) But I do listen to music a lot :) You get the 16Gb iPod touch then and I'll get the 160Gb iPod touch with hd instead...

ps. why would you want to jog with a wide screen multimedia device? I think a nano would suit you needs best...

notjustjay
At the rate the SSD are dropping in price, I think Gates could've EASILY released a 32GB (which I think it most reasonable size) version of Ipod touch.

I bet he will, too. And he'll call it the Zune Touch. ;)

jvencius

No.

jeffereyj
Sep 5, 2007, 01:37 PM
do ANY of the new iPod models have built-in support for bluetooth headsets?

that was actually my most-wanted feature!........

zimtheinvader
Does the Touch have Tv-output? If not, well, that sucks for 5.5gen users like me who use it as a pvr!

Personally, if they just offered an unlocked iPhone, I would just buy that, $100 for a phone and $300 for an ipod isn't bad, especially for 8Gb, I just can't justify a new plan.

Re: the complaints. THey're justified, hasn't Apple heard of an SD slot???? You could then double the ram and futureproof it for a few years. I find the blatant lack of expansion quite annoying and unjustifiable from a technical standpoint.

fastbite
Brilliant line up, including the clasic is a great move. And the iPod Touch is gorgeous. It's game over for the competition (at least for a while).

robsapples
Sep 5, 2007, 01:38 PM
What about mail?!? Will I be able to check out my .mac account from the new ipod?

Artofilm
ill give you $10 for it

:eek:WOW, $10..for a 5G 30GB iPod!

Sold!....eh...or not.:cool:

CptnJustc
Yeah, you missed something. I sync a Nano, an iPod 'classic', and an iPhone with all my purchases just fine.

Unless I missed soemthing, doesn't itunes hate to work with multiple ipods? Like you buy a song, it'll go only on one ipod, not two?

RadioStar
Sep 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
Two questions:

1. Will it have scratch-proof optical glass like the iPhone?

2. Will it have a recessed headphone jack like the iPhone?

Scarpad
If the content specs are the same as the phone than it's still a no go moving content from Apple TV to Ipod Touch, No Sale.

iJawn108
I was going to get a new iPod so I could boot leopard from it instead of buying an external HD.

EDIT

NM iPod Touch here I come. So so so so so glad I went with the blackbook :)

LoganT
Hmm the ultimate question.

8 GB iPod Touch -$299

or

8 GB iPhone -$399

notjustjay
What about mail?!? Will I be able to check out my .mac account from the new ipod?

If these devices are all variants of the same embedded OS X system underneath, then I'm thinking the same folks who figured out how to hack the iPhone and AppleTV put apps onto them, will also figure out how to copy over the embedded mail application (and potentially loads of other stuff, too).

It's just a matter of time...

Sep 5, 2007, 01:41 PM
Umm hello

This is a tablet with facebook and youtube and a full browser, that also has 16gb of storage.

Yes, you have to choose the 16000 minutes of music that are most important to you when you leave the house, and if you want a song that's not in that 16000 minutes you will have to wait until you get back home.

But in the meantime you have 16000 minutes of music plus news, sports, stocks, facebook, email, flickr, youtube, and AIM. In an 8mm package.

I swear that you guys could get a 1x1x1mm iPod with a 90" screen and Steve Jobs delivers it personally and gives you a reacharound for good measure, and you would whine.

Surely; but I am glad this is just a small part of the community...they are known as the "club of the neverending whine", which represents nothing but a bunch of complainers that have no idea of a normal market demand for normal people.

Apple has just released an INCREDIBLE lineup of iPods, and it's gonna climb up to 90% of the market for music players...there is simply no contest.

Loge
Sep 5, 2007, 01:41 PM

No, iTunes will work fine with any number of iPods. You don't think Apple want you to buy only one iPod do you? ;)

madmaxmedia
Sep 5, 2007, 01:43 PM
This is the one thing I'll be waiting for. I would love to have email and notes copied over.

If these devices are all variants of the same embedded OS X system underneath, then I'm thinking the same folks who figured out how to hack the iPhone and AppleTV put apps onto them, will also figure out how to copy over the embedded mail application (and potentially loads of other stuff, too).

It's just a matter of time...

Schtumple
Sep 5, 2007, 01:44 PM
http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch

Not finished yet. ;)

Yeah it's a complete mess

Come on people, if they'd made the iPod touch 32gb, it would've been too expensive, if it had a hard drive, it would've had crap battery life.

If you want a 160gb hd 3.5inch touchscreen iPod, you obviously don't mind not being able to finish watching any film/tv show, as the battery would die before getting to the end.

Use your heads and stop whining...

JonathanK81

8 GB iPod Touch -$299

or

8 GB iPhone -$399

That's my question too. I have another service provider, and won't use the phone, but I kind of like the look of the iPhone better.

Also can anyone tell me, will the Touch also have the glass screen like the iPhone. correct me if that's wrong regarding the glass.

Columbo X
I think this is such a great iPod!! Not really bothered by the storage issue. Now iTunes TV shows are available in the UK I purchased a couple of South Parks. At 200 Meg a show and around 800 MEG for one of my 2 hour DVD movies via Mac The Ripper I think the capacities on the new iPods will be fine. I don't plan on carrying all my music and video on the device anyway - I'm used to using the Shuffle and with the small size and longer battery life I'm happy to accept the lower capacities.

Scarpad
Does the Touch have Tv-output? If not, well, that sucks for 5.5gen users like me who use it as a pvr!

Personally, if they just offered an unlocked iPhone, I would just buy that, $100 for a phone and $300 for an ipod isn't bad, especially for 8Gb, I just can't justify a new plan.

Re: the complaints. THey're justified, hasn't Apple heard of an SD slot???? You could then double the ram and futureproof it for a few years. I find the blatant lack of expansion quite annoying and unjustifiable from a technical standpoint.

Seems a 160gb Archos 605 beats this even having to buy the addons

ZrSiO4-Zircon
I am somewhat disappointed with the capacities, but seriously, I listen to maybe about 6 gigs of music regularly, and I have a few videos I like to keep on hand. So 16gb isn't all that bad.
Here's my question though. Does the iPod Touch qualify for the mac+ipod deal?

jabu31
THis new ipod touch is eactly what i was hoping for and sooooooo much more!!!

The capacity is perfect i had downgraded from a 30gb ipod to a 3gb ipod last winter. I was worried about the size limits but i have actually realized i dont need my entire music library with me. So the introductin of the 16gb ipod touch is perfect!!!!:D

And WIFI!!!!!!:eek::eek: Thats the extra cream on top for me!!! I was sooo shocked to hear that!!!:eek:

Apple managed to add alot more feature tot he ipod touch that i really like like safari and ITMS Wifi:rolleyes:

I am gonna have a fun watching the stream video of this event:p

Does anyone wanna buy a 2nd gen ipod nano offering at a great price!!!:p;)

Welll done steve you made the ipod fan very happy and excited to get a hold of this new ipod touch... just gotta get the money for it :cool:

:apple: ROCKS!

starstreak
Sep 5, 2007, 01:45 PM
Then I stand corrected. When I first got my Ipod and my Ipod nano a year later, I had trouble saying something about not coping over because it was on my other ipod. Since I sold the nano about two weeks later I never did try syncing it again. Must've been a glitch.

No, iTunes will work fine with any number of iPods. You don't think Apple want you to buy only one iPod do you? ;)

Evangelion

quit your whining. if you filled the touch with video you would run out of battery long before you could watch all those movies. i don't think that any of the ipods is meant to store your entire video-collection, just few individual videos + music.

OrangeCuse44
First off, the more i think about this device, the more i realize it is absolutely UNREAL. I can easily get used to not having all my music with me always and managing it.

Take a look at the pic, guess it has external speakers????
http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/wifistore.html

raykhrud
Goodbye, Apple. After 5 years of good work you are crap again.

stainlessliquid
flash memory? what the hell were they thinking? I knew theyd screw us somehow, either by not making it wifi with youtube or by going flash instead hdd...

I can live with 16gb but damn... I was really hoping on getting 20 or 30. I have a 10gb ipod and its fine for my uses, but thats without video. 400 for 16gb is a little much though

madmaxmedia
Perhaps, but only if you don't care about pocketability.

Seems a 160gb Archos 605 beats this even having to buy the addons

gadgetgirl85
Wow that was a bit of a shock (I'm still half asleep). Looks like the Australian apple store is down. Once its back up I will look at the prices and see which one to buy. Considering my music collection isn't even close to 3GB, I might go the 8 but might go 16 if its the right price. I'm quite surprised at the announcement!

celavato
Sep 5, 2007, 01:46 PM
i just think its sad that music in this generation is based on quantity, not quality. ok, you have a terabyte of music. unless you use lossless encoding, i highly doubt you listen to...how many songs is that? hundreds of thousands of songs?

For the record, I store all of my music from CDs in Apple Lossless so this explains why I for one would make good use of much more storage (I also use $$$ earphones to listen to my music). Currently, my 5,000+ songs take up about 130 GB so it would all fit on the new Classic. It's just that once you have an iPhone it's hard to go back to that old interface, especially regarding On-the-Go playlists.

mrfrosty
Sep 5, 2007, 01:47 PM
For all those people that don't like the new iPod Touch......please just don't buy one and stop moaning.

Alternatively you can buy something better made by another company................erm, actually no you can't.

8bitrevolution
Sep 5, 2007, 01:47 PM

Apple most likely didn't put an SD slot on the iPod touch for the same reason they don't do it with anything else - it's ugly.

Have you seen the PCs with a million slots for every format imaginable on the front? It's godawful. And I hate seeing consumer devices, with the exception of digital cameras, with gaping holes for SD cards and the like.

Functionally it makes sense but it really hurts the aesthetics. And the majority of people would probably not even use the slot to begin with.

Yateball
Sep 5, 2007, 01:48 PM
You know whats interesting tho? you can listen to ANY song you want on youtube, and the touch has youtube integration... so as long as you're in a hotspot, size is irrelevant

shoelessone
Yeah, I honestly wonder how other mp3 player companies are feeling right now.

They're probably all in a bar right now, loosening their tie, downing jack and cokes, hanging their heads.

I was starting to think that if Apple didn't make some serious moves to keep on top of the game, their iPods would loose some of their "umph". But this iPod Touch is going to give them a ton of attention now. Well deserved attention, in my opinion. yes, I realize there are similar (better) speced mp3 players out there, but the whole package is just unbeatable.

madmaxmedia
That's an iPhone.

First off, the more i think about this device, the more i realize it is absolutely UNREAL. I can easily get used to not having all my music with me always and managing it.

Take a look at the pic, guess it has external speakers????
http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/wifistore.html

jabu31
Sep 5, 2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah it's a complete mess

Come on people, if they'd made the iPod touch 32gb, it would've been too expensive, if it had a hard drive, it would've had crap battery life.

If you want a 160gb hd 3.5inch touchscreen iPod, you obviously don't mind not being able to finish watching any film/tv show, as the battery would die before getting to the end.

Use your heads and stop whining...

You are so right people stop complaining if you want a large HD size got to the ipod classic;)

I find the 16gb size perfect. I dont plan on listening to 160gb of music in a day:eek: GET REAL PEOPLE!

And yes a larger size would have been WAY expensive. THats the one thing i was worried about as i was reading the live stream. I didnt want to pay $500 for a ipod touch with super big capacity. ***REMEMBER*** the ipod photo at $500 that was a complete ripoff! I am glad Apple has stayed lowed in price for this new premier ipod!!:D

matt_randal
dont know if this is a new feature or from the iphone. maybe someone could enlighten me.

there is a sleep button on the ipod to conserve battery life. is that on the iphone too?

to all the whiners...get a grip!

if the touch didnt get wifi we would be complaining about that instead, if we got 32gb flash hd we would be complaining about the fact there is no speaker etc etc...

have your cake and dont eat it

Ovs

I think Apple hit a Grand Slam today. From the Shuffle to the Touch, this iPod lineup is absolutely amazing. I honestly don't know which one I want to buy.

I agree. I‘ve been critical of Apple in the past, but it’s impossible to feel disappointed with the iPod updates. The classic is for those who need a large hard drive, but the iPod touch is more bleeding edge technology. Especially with the wifi, it looks to be an absolutely amazing piece of kit. Like you said, it’s only going to get better as flash technology becomes cheaper.

un1ty
Sep 5, 2007, 01:50 PM
I have an 8GB iPhone and a 50GB iTunes Library. Guess what? I don't mind the limited space at all. I just have the cream of the crop on the iPhone. Also, how you manage your music makes a difference. Smart playlists is where it's at.

savar
Sep 5, 2007, 01:50 PM

Amen, brother...I was so convinced that I would be buying an ipod today. For $100 savedyou get no phone, and...? I would spend $400 if it brought the HD as well. I guess HD + big screen = too much power consumption. There has to be a technical reason why Apple didn't put an HD in the ipod touch...business wise it sounds like a disaster.

lorkp
Sep 5, 2007, 01:51 PM
I wonder if there would be a way to stream music from the iPod to an Airport Express. That'd be awesome.

Sdao
Sep 5, 2007, 01:52 PM
Here's a good question

Does the ipod touch have built in speakers (like the iPhone) so you can listen to your music out loud, without headphones?

snulkin
I sure hope they make some sort of remote for it. I would not want to have to turn on and unlock it everytime I wanted to adjust the volume

MattG

You and me both...this sucks. I could care less about 8mm thick...just gimme the Touch with a big old hard drive. Oh well.

gugy

8 GB iPod Touch -$299

or

8 GB iPhone -$399

In my case the iPhone is the winner. I am going to buy it this week and try to see if the AT&T service is good. So in 14 days the grace period of Apple to return I will make my mind. If the AT&T service is good is a keeper the iPhone, if not I will go back to my Verizon and get the iPod Touch.

For those of you that AT&T is not a issue I would definitely get the iPhone. it is a much better deal IMHO. Goggle maps, mail, phone and more widgets would be a plus.
For me the iPod touch would be a winner with the capacity was anything above 80gig.

ZrSiO4-Zircon
I wonder if there would be a way to stream music from the iPod to an Airport Express. That'd be awesome.

Stop putting ideas in my head and hopes in my heart! I don't have an airport express yet and my wallet is only so big!

sikkinixx
Sep 5, 2007, 01:53 PM
I hope it has the (slightly ugly) Notes app and such...

mdriftmeyer
Goodbye, Apple. After 5 years of good work you are crap again.

spam.

zelet
I'm with everyone else that thinks the decision to go with flash instead of a HDD is dumb. I have a 40 GB music collection and 5 GB of pictures. I don't even have any video yet.

I'm not usually a bitcher - hell I own 4 Mac computers and 3 iPods.

mandoman
Sep 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
... since no email and no camera. Maybe email added later?

And partnering with Starbucks? Ick, unless it means
free wifi (not just free itunes wifi access), doubtful.

Too bad about the storage, this really makes choosing
between the ipod classic and ipod touch really difficult.

I'll probably buy neither... My shuffle and 3rd gen ipod still
work great!

mdriftmeyer
Sep 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
I'm with everyone else that thinks the decision to go with flash instead of a HDD is dumb. I have a 40 GB music collection and 5 GB of pictures. I don't even have any video yet.

Then buy the 160 Gig classic.

Or better yet, develop NAND Flash chips greater than 32Gigs and sell them for less than an 80Gig Classic.

First you might need about $10 Billion in Venture Capital for R&D, Fab Plants, Engineers, Channel Development, etc.,.

This is America. If you can dream it, you can build it.

Get crackin'!

JPark
Sep 5, 2007, 01:56 PM
ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!

It is everything I hoped for with the right price as well but I much rather have a few millimeters more or thickness and freaking harddrive than sissy 8GB or 16GB. Now I'm going to have to settle for the iPod Classic.

There was some pre-release speculation that putting a harddrive in would screw up it's orientation sensing instruments.

MonkeyClaw
Amen, brother...I was so convinced that I would be buying an ipod today. For $100 savedyou get no phone, and...? I would spend $400 if it brought the HD as well. I guess HD + big screen = too much power consumption. There has to be a technical reason why Apple didn't put an HD in the ipod touch...business wise it sounds like a disaster.

JESUS CHRIST THEN GET A CLASSIC FOR GOD SAKES! What the hell is wrong with people these days?!? What the hell were people expecting Apple to do? People are mad that they LOWERED prices on the iPhone. People are mad that Apple released basically an iPhone that doesnt have a Phone for cheaper. People are mad that they released a nano thats cheaper, smaller, and does video. People are mad cause they also released an iPod with 160 GBs of space.

So based on the response from MacRumors and the stock market, I think apple would be better off not releasing anything ever again. Stocks would remain high and little whining fanboys would keep guessing at when steve jobs would release the iGirlfriend. For christ's sake why can't people be more happy for once instead of feeling entitled to the outrageous!?!

gadgetgirl85
Now i've had a chance to look at the entire lineup I think I will go the touch. Don't like the new design of the nanos (LOVE THE SHUFFLE COLOURS) but I already have a shuffle. Considering I've always wanted an iphone and will probably never get one...the touch seems perfect :D

pwrtrader
I dunno, me thinks that the 16gb is just fine. Wifey has 60 gb video ipod with only 4 gb of music on it. Just ordered 2 from the 800 line. Store still down.

ocyrus
Hey, all i know is i want that dock on my iphone. Its soo much sleeker.

i0Nic
Sep 5, 2007, 01:57 PM
Ok so all we need now is to port Mail and Google Maps from the iPhone and iPod. I wonder how long this will take, or if it's even possible.

madmaxmedia
Sep 5, 2007, 01:57 PM
The thing is, it would have been a compromise either way. And no matter which way they go, some people are going to be happy with it, some not.

My music collection is much bigger than yours, but I am very happy with what they introduced today. $399, thin and elegant, and 16GB is not far away from the old 20GB iPod I had not long ago.

ocyrus
Sep 5, 2007, 01:58 PM
who else wants that new dock.png :(

elcid
Sep 5, 2007, 01:58 PM
Nothing but hate on these boards. If they would have put the HDD in you all would be complaining about how bigggg it is. Dont think so, go over to the Nano forums.

You all still have your iPods, with 160gb, so stop complaining. Life is about choices and at least Apple gave you options. Get the 160gb iPod, carry all 40000 songs around with you for whatever reason you need 40000 songs.

Until then, when I get enough money I will pick up my tablet pc and with plenty of music and videos on it. Besides, you sync up every night, it cant be that big of a deal to change out songs if you are able to listen to that much music in a single day.

OrangeCuse44
Sep 5, 2007, 01:59 PM
consider the possibility of 3rd party apps added to this amazing thing. the hackers are lining up, it will be fantastic. a hack to add Mail? why not?

biggerbearbrian
Sep 5, 2007, 01:59 PM
... since no email and no camera. Maybe email added later?

And partnering with Starbucks? Ick, unless it means
free wifi (not just free itunes wifi access), doubtful.

Too bad about the storage, this really makes choosing
between the ipod classic and ipod touch really difficult.

I'll probably buy neither... My shuffle and 3rd gen ipod still
work great!

I was wondering if I missed the email client. I am guessing that you can access gmail etc via the browser (I haven't read anything to the contrary concerning the iPhone), but it would be great to get the mail client on this.

Sdao
Sep 5, 2007, 02:00 PM
any news on whether or not the iPod Touch has external speakers (like the iPhone)??

EvanLugh
Sep 5, 2007, 02:00 PM
UK Store updated. Ordered mine, shame they arent shipping till September 28th..

mike dunx
Sep 5, 2007, 02:01 PM
YES. 16 gb ipod touch, here i come.

unsecured wireless networks: beware.

mdriftmeyer
Sep 5, 2007, 02:02 PM
Ok so all we need now is to port Mail and Google Maps from the iPhone and iPod. I wonder how long this will take, or if it's even possible.

Port Mail.app? If Apple doesn't do it then don't expect to ever see it.

Ovs
Sep 5, 2007, 02:04 PM
Apple most likely didn't put an SD slot on the iPod touch for the same reason they don't do it with anything else - it's ugly.

Have you seen the PCs with a million slots for every format imaginable on the front? It's godawful. And I hate seeing consumer devices, with the exception of digital cameras, with gaping holes for SD cards and the like.

Functionally it makes sense but it really hurts the aesthetics. And the majority of people would probably not even use the slot to begin with.

Come on now, no SD card slot because of aesthetics? That’s just ridicules.
Even Apple aren't that anal. There's no SD card slot because Apple likes to keep a tight control on hardware, and keep things as simple as possible in regards to usability.

ozontheroad
Sep 5, 2007, 02:05 PM
Umm hello

LMAO

now i need to wipe up the coke that came out of my nose

damn man... i even woke up my wife LMAO

notjustjay
Sep 5, 2007, 02:05 PM

Apple's already done it. See iPhone.

All we need to do is figure out how to get it onto the new iPod.

4np
Sep 5, 2007, 02:06 PM

Thunderbird perhaps? :)

Spades
I can live with 8GB or 16GB. I'll just have to learn the art of the smart playlist, which I've been meaning to do and been putting off. I really hope this is running OS X though. Being able to use third party apps like on the iPhone would make it perfect.

stephenli
Though I hate 16GB, I do think that it is the right decision.
If iPod touch is 160GB, it will definitely affect the sale of iPhone...

because I cant get an iPhone until 2008 as I am in Asia, I will order the iPod touch in the morning while Apple Store open...

Does it still qualified for BACK TO SCHOOL offer?!?!??!!?!? ooooo please~~~~i am going to get an 2.8Ghz iMac too~~~~

One Ohm
Sep 5, 2007, 02:07 PM
Camera ?

zea mays
I'm excited! I've already ordered mine and can't wait for it to get here :)

white pilgrim
I think its great, it may not be perfect but its heading the right way. I don't need to store my entire multimedia collection or my MBP's harddrive on it tho it'll be handy but i can dig a sleek and light media device. We've lived with the familiar price tags but for less in the past so i'll celebrate this. But if you enjoy a flaw, then have at the storage.

Oh and btw, its 3.5", surely one can convert ya movies to smaller res to pack it in.

4np
Sep 5, 2007, 02:08 PM
Ah well, at least I know now I can spend my savings on an expensive lens for my Digital SLR instead of on a high end iPod touch (as there is no high end iPod touch)....

Gosh
Sep 5, 2007, 02:09 PM
Thunderbird perhaps? :)

dotMac web mail!:)

Leo74
Sep 5, 2007, 02:10 PM
How exactly is this a disappointment? Tons of people have been wanting an "iPhone without the phone." I actually think the price points aren't bad for what you get. That said, I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone and won't be buying one of these.

Isn't it obvious we ALL meant an iPhone without the phone, where the lack of phone features would be compensated by real storage space? Enough with saying people who expected large capacities are whining after getting what they asked for. This was a poor decision, and all you need to prove that is the amount of people here saying they'd take a thicker device with less battery life over this if it meant high storage space.

ZrSiO4-Zircon
Sep 5, 2007, 02:10 PM
Though I hate 16GB, I do think that it is the right decision.
If iPod touch is 160GB, it will definitely affect the sale of iPhone...

because I cant get an iPhone until 2008 as I am in Asia, I will order the iPod touch in the morning while Apple Store open...

Does it still qualified for BACK TO SCHOOL offer?!?!??!!?!? ooooo please~~~~i am going to get an 2.8Ghz iMac too~~~~

I'm crossing my fingers FURIOUSLY! If I can't get the Touch with this offer, I'll get a nano and give it to my friend who desperately needs an iPod. But if I can, my ipod :p

Rocketman
Sep 5, 2007, 02:11 PM
any news on whether or not the iPod Touch has external speakers (like the iPhone)??

I think it was Macworld that stated there are no speakers. Headphones only.

iPod Touch tech specs:

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

Rocketman

Also note this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MB128LL/A

Apple Component AV Cable

Easily connect your iPod to the component video inputs on a TV. The cable also features audio and USB connectors, and a USB Power Adapter is included in the box.
Price: $49.00

Connect an iPod to your television with the Apple Component AV Cable, gather up your friends, and watch videos or slideshows together on the big screen. You can also connect the Component AV Cable to your stereo or powered speakers for a room-filling audio experience.

The Component AV Cable connects to your iPod or Universal Dock via the 30-pin dock connector and to your TV, home theater receiver, or stereo receiver via the component (Y, Pb, and Pr) video and red/white analog audio ports. The cable also features a USB connector that you can plug into a power source, such as a computer or the included USB Power Adapter.

Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (third generation) and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution, and by iPod touch at 480i or 576i resolution.

4np
Sep 5, 2007, 02:12 PM

If you look at the 360 of the iPhone touch (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/360/)you don't see these 'speaker holes'. Probably it's an error in the images their marketing department created...

daneoni
Sep 5, 2007, 02:13 PM
I dont see a headphone jack on the touch where isit...at the bottm?, Won't that be awkward without a lanyard?

jockmock
Sep 5, 2007, 02:16 PM
So what happened to the Beatles? What did Paul say?

TheSpaz
I'm getting an iPod Touch as soon as they're available. No questions asked... I'm in love!

4np
I dont see a headphone jack on the touch where isit...at the bottm?, Won't that be awkward without a lanyard?

It's on the bottom (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/360/)...

Leo74

Maybe they should have named this the iPod Logan then, because it's truly gonna cater to only people with around 100 songs and a couple videos in their library. ;)

lukebkk
I agree with the people who say 8 / 16 gb is not enough. But I think this is about all you can expect from a flash based ipod at this time.

What is needed is a way to connect over Wifi to your iTunes library (like :apple: tv) without having to sync the bloody thing. Then you could use it as a device to browse your entire music collection while in your house. Without this feature I find it hard to understand why having Wifi is a big deal.

Another thing which I would like to see... a way to connect the thing to your strereo over Wifi so it can act as a sort of touch based music remote.

Perhaps these things will come. Let the hacking begin. :)

spikeyjac
Sep 5, 2007, 02:17 PM
£279 for the ipod touch 16gb :-(

jvencius
Sep 5, 2007, 02:18 PM
Does it still qualified for BACK TO SCHOOL offer?!?!??!!?!?

No.

DocJ
Sep 5, 2007, 02:19 PM
So don't use it for video. Those who don't enjoy watching video on tiny screens won't care about that anyway. You still have a touch-screen Apple PDA that syncs with iTunes and is NOT a Palm or Microsoft product. Even the smaller 8gb one is twice the capacity of my 4gb nano, which holds 1,000 songs. I don't need every single tune I own in my pocket, just a thousand or so of my favorites.

At least you don't have to buy a 2-year contract with AT&T to own this thing.

ocyrus
just give me that sleeker ipod touch dock menu bar on my iphone and ill be happy.

Leo74

We all realized that. And we don't ignore it. We're just saying making it a Flash device at the expense of storage capacity was exactly what made it a bad decision. Will it sell a lot? Probably. The hype machine will guarantee that. iPhones sold a lot when they cost $600, and look at them now, only two months later. But will it sell as much as a thicker, HDD based 100+ GB full screen iPod would? Not a chance.

Gurutech
Sep 5, 2007, 02:20 PM
I'm buying 16 gig one!
ordering now!
:D:D

Teddy's
Sep 5, 2007, 02:21 PM
Ha! there's always a "bummer"

If this toy were 60 gb at least, then all negative comments would be focused on...
The lack of 802.11n or whatever it is, or...
The lack of gorgle maps, or...
The tiny little app thingy that the iPhone has and for 'crying out loud" is not in the iPT.

To those who are going to buy it... enjoy.

^squirrel^
Sep 5, 2007, 02:22 PM
It's a shame the storage isn't more...... But it's still not going to stop me buying one! Been waiting for this for ages. I specified an iPod connection in my new car and i dont even have an iPod! (well i have a 2nd gen Shuffle)

I only have 4.5gb in my Library so the 16gb model will do me fine!

daneoni
Sep 5, 2007, 02:23 PM
Um....wow, MR/Apple Store servers are being hit HARD. If i even attempt to access the UK store Safari stops responding and crashes.

ozontheroad
Sep 5, 2007, 02:23 PM
maybe mail and notes when leopard comes out ?

i am most definitely getting the 16 gig as soon as they are available in thailand, if it had mail and a notes app then i wouldn't need to do any hacking... well at least until some kind soul made a messenger available.

come on apple give us iChat Light, even better would be the ability to install adium

my wish list:
text edit
mail
adium

Sam*
Sep 5, 2007, 02:25 PM
Um....wow, MR/Apple Store servers are being hit HARD. If i even attempt to access the UK store Safari stops responding and crashes.

haha me to

first time thats ever happened

MonkeyClaw
Sep 5, 2007, 02:25 PM
It's a shame the storage isn't more...... But it's still not going to stop me buying one! Been waiting for this for ages. I specified an iPod connection in my new car and i dont even have an iPod! (well i have a 2nd gen Shuffle)

I only have 4.5gb in my Library so the 16gb model will do me fine!

Amen to that. Hell i have 30 gigs of music but I'll still get an 8gig one simply cause I have yet to need to have 30 gigs of music in my pocket at once.

chadm
Sep 5, 2007, 02:27 PM
I realized after watching the unveiling that I would not want an iPhone. Or an iPod Touch. I want a Mac Nano!!!

(ipod touch/iphone form factor)

160+ gig hdd
Wireless video
bluetooth (for kb/mouse)
iPhone functions
iLife and iWork Mobile
maybe gps and a camera for good measure...

How hard could it be?

~c

Dimwhit
Sep 5, 2007, 02:29 PM
Amen to that. Hell i have 30 gigs of music but I'll still get an 8gig one simply cause I have yet to need to have 30 gigs of music in my pocket at once.

Yeah, I have 40 gigs of music, and I have a 20 gig iPod in my car glove box (hooked to the stereo). I could only think of about 4 gigs of music I wanted to put on there. And I drive my car every day!

The 16 gig would be REALLY nice for me. I could throw 8-10 movies on it, a bunch of photos, and all the music I'd need.

brepublican
Sep 5, 2007, 02:31 PM
come on apple give us iChat Light, even better would be the ability to install adium

my wish list:
text edit
mail
adium

At the very least, can we get some widgets in this thing?? Apple! :mad:

It's great they've finally gone and done it, but why not put the Wi-Fi to full use? *sigh*

Might buy, I'm broke as at the mo tho...

RoboCop001
Sep 5, 2007, 02:32 PM
I like it! But I have lots of video so I probably won't get one until there's more space. And I suppose I don't really have a big need for it either.

The only other thing... think they'll ever release games for it? I like playing Tetris on the subway. hah.

JPark
Sep 5, 2007, 02:32 PM
Apple's already done it. See iPhone.

All we need to do is figure out how to get it onto the new iPod.

I was thinking the same thing. If they can port the appleTV's OS to a regular mac and vice-versa, they ought to be able to do a similar thing with the Touch and the iPhone.

quigleybc
Sep 5, 2007, 02:34 PM
If they don't introduce the iPhone in Canada soon I'll just get one of these babies instead and get another phone

So in other words, you're getting one of these.....cuz iPhone + Canada = not happening.....maybe ever...

Markleshark
Sep 5, 2007, 02:35 PM
Ordered mine. 16gig touch and a Universal Dock. Hurrah. Ready to ship by the 28th of this month.

nukiduz
Sep 5, 2007, 02:37 PM
Don Bangles was right after all... :rolleyes: