PDA

View Full Version : iTunes WiFi Music Store Announced - One More Thing...

MacRumors
Sep 5, 2007, 12:59 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Also announced at the "Beat Goes On" media event as Steve Jobs' classic "One More Thing..." was a wifi-accessible version of the iTunes Music Store. The new version allows downloading music from iTunes directly to your iPod touch.

Same pricing & selection as standard iTunes store
Free previews over WiFi of any song in the iTunes store

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/itunes-wifi-music-store-announced-one-more-thing/)

newguineafan
Sep 5, 2007, 01:03 PM
Yay I Was Right!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fastshutter
Sep 5, 2007, 01:04 PM
Who just got fired at NBC?

jpanetta
Sep 5, 2007, 01:04 PM
What about podcasts? I don't really purchase music from the store, but being able to download podcasts directly would be cool.

Eidorian
Sep 5, 2007, 01:05 PM
What about podcasts? I don't really purchase music from the store, but being able to download podcasts directly would be cool.That's something I would like too.

AHDuke99
Sep 5, 2007, 01:06 PM
no iphone availability for a while? sad. well at least we know an update with NEW FEATURES is coming.

bigandy
i'm liking this. is this a first? i'm not sure :rolleyes:

thebill
But Starbucks Coffee backwards is eeffoc skcubrats!!! :eek: :eek:

Will their internet be free to enable you to buy a song? I'm not paying them when there's so many free internet places around.

Edit: from arstechnica: "-No login required & iTunes WiFi music store free access to WiFi at Starbucks "

ckinyc
Sep 5, 2007, 01:10 PM
Isn't it going to be a bad thing if you are on some unknown open WIFI network and log in to your iTunes account to buy things?

mdriftmeyer
Sep 5, 2007, 01:16 PM
Isn't it going to be a bad thing if you are on some unknown open WIFI network and log in to your iTunes account to buy things?

No.

Matteh117
Sep 5, 2007, 01:19 PM
I DONT ******* BELIEVE IT!

I'm so happy that ALL the rumors were pretty much true. £120 for the 80gb? BARGAIN! WOOT.

Anyone else stupidly excited? Rofl.

Thanatoast
Sep 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
Is the iTunes WiFi Store synonymous with an iTunes EDGE Store for us iPhone users?

fastbite
Sep 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
Brilliant move, nuff said!

boss1
Sep 5, 2007, 01:38 PM
Is the iTunes WiFi Store synonymous with an iTunes EDGE Store for us iPhone users?

If your asking whether iTunes WiFi Music Store will work over AT&T Edge, I'm wondering the same thing.

WiFi is great when it's available, but US I-95 doesn't come with built in WiFi.

wPod
Sep 5, 2007, 01:44 PM
Where is the iTunes WiFi store for the Apple TV????

k2k koos
Sep 5, 2007, 02:06 PM
Would be nice if I can also bring my Powerbook running iTunes,and have free access to the iTunes wifi store with that, while enjoying a 'grande latte" :-):apple:

donlphi
Sep 5, 2007, 02:14 PM
Why wouldn't you be able to download it on the iPhone now?

djdole
Sep 5, 2007, 02:25 PM
Here's something interesting that not many people may have realized after seeing the WiFi iTunes iPhone pics...

We can probably expect three new iPhone apps when they release the Wi-Fi iTunes too. (In the near NEAR future)

If you pay close attention to the images: http://www.apple.com/iphone/wifistore/ http://djdole.googlepages.com/MISC_RightAlignmentInteresting.JPG
You'll notice that the purple iTunes icon is apparently aligned on the right of the screen, but if you saw any of the old (pre YouTube) iPhone pics, or saw any modded iPhone pics, you'd know that the icon list is LEFT justified, and wraps, meaning that most likely, the "PIC" of the iPhone with the new icon has been photoshopped to remove three unknown icons.
Otherwise the purple wifi iTunes button would be left justified.

djdole
Sep 5, 2007, 02:27 PM
Why wouldn't you be able to download it on the iPhone now?

Apple is probably gearing up to release a JESUS patch.
My guess is that it will have a ton of bug fixes, WiFi iTunes, and probably at least three other new homescreen apps.
(Just a guess though)

Dimwhit
Sep 5, 2007, 02:35 PM
This is very nice.

Man, Apple really pulled off a great one. About the only thing Apple didn't do that I'd like to see with the Touch (and iPhone) is wireless syncing with the computer. And that could probably be done at any time with a software update.

Mgkwho
Sep 5, 2007, 02:40 PM
I still wish there was bluetooth for wireless syncing and radio.

Now it sounds as if wifi could take care of both, except not radio whenever one wants!

-=|Mgkwho

Ha ze
Sep 5, 2007, 02:44 PM
I think the wireless iTunes store is great, but being an iPhone owner I wish I could purchase over edge. I know it would take longer, but I'm okay with that. Anyone else feel the same?

mongoos150
Sep 5, 2007, 02:45 PM
What about podcasts? I don't really purchase music from the store, but being able to download podcasts directly would be cool.Exactly. I hope we'll have them, but Apple.com mentions nothing about podcasts... Argh.

confirmed
Sep 5, 2007, 02:50 PM
Here's something interesting that not many people may have realized after seeing the WiFi iTunes iPhone pics...

We can probably expect three new iPhone apps when they release the Wi-Fi iTunes too. (In the near NEAR future)

If you pay close attention to the images: http://www.apple.com/iphone/wifistore/
You'll notice that the purple iTunes icon is apparently aligned on the right of the screen, but if you saw any of the old (pre YouTube) iPhone pics, or saw any modded iPhone pics, you'd know that the icon list is LEFT justified, and wraps, meaning that most likely, the "PIC" of the iPhone with the new icon has been photoshopped to remove three unknown icons.
Otherwise the purple wifi iTunes button would be left justified.

i believe the wifi store icon is where it is, because it is directly above the iPod icon. that said, it does look strange like that. i too am hoping for 3 other apps to go with the store. ichat, ebook reader, and games!

sanford
Sep 5, 2007, 02:54 PM
If your asking whether iTunes WiFi Music Store will work over AT&T Edge, I'm wondering the same thing.

WiFi is great when it's available, but US I-95 doesn't come with built in WiFi.

I think they'll limit it to Wifi connections so they don't bog down the ATT data network, especially if they let you buy video over the Wifi Store; but even music only would take its toll on EDGE with a lot of iPhone users out there.

Also, Jobs said the Wifi Store is coming "in a few weeks" for iPhone. And the iPod Touch doesn't ship until September 28th (only the new nanos and the new Classic, and maybe the new Shuffle are available immediately), which is in a few weeks, too. So I suspect they'll roll out the Wifi Store for the iPod Touch and the iPhone at the same time, as "few weeks" time frame fits both.

But I doubt EDGE for us iPhone owners. And, I mean this Wifi Store is interesting, but it's not like we can't buy all the same stuff right now via our computers. And, really, if I'm not near a computer then I'm never near a Wifi access point; I'm on EDGE. And if there's no EDGE service for the Wifi store, I doubt I'll use it much -- although, sure, it will be a few steps more convenient not to have to get up off the sofa and go upstairs to my office, buy a song or album with my laptop and then connect my iPhone and sync it. But it's not that much more convenient. Nice for people who have office jobs and aren't allowed to use their computers there for iTunes; then again the same sort of offices that won't allow iTunes on office computers probably won't allow iPods on their Wifi networks, either.

Dimwhit
Sep 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure which thread to put this in, but this is as good as any...

On the Apple site, they mention that the iPod Touch will save your home network settings for Wi-Fi. I'm wondering if it will save others. I'm regularly at several friends' houses...and it would be nice if it saved those network passwords and such.

By the way, does the Touch/iPhone hook up fine with WEP/WPA encrypted networks?

PetiePal
Sep 5, 2007, 03:58 PM
I would hope that podcasts are possible over Wi-Fi. Heck Jobs made a huge point of stating that this was a full-fledged iTunes store, not a gimped version. The same with it being a real Safari version.

I would definitely like to see the capability implemented. Being able to download podcasts on the go if I stopped into a Panera or Wi-Fi area would really be amazing. I'd definitely listen to them more since I don't sync my device THAT often unless I've added a lot of new music.

Hattig
Sep 5, 2007, 04:05 PM
Nice feature, I wouldn't use it but it was one of the major detractors of the Zune's wireless networking capabilities. The tie in with Starbucks is a fancy feature, sad that it didn't come with free wifi access apart from to buy the songs (that's how I am reading it), and I wonder what Starbucks are getting in return, or if other venues will arrange deals with Apple.

The killer application for a device like this is being able to buy it, and get free wireless with nationwide providers (e.g., the cloud in the UK) because it comes with the device.

Squareball
Sep 5, 2007, 04:11 PM
WiFi store is great for a few things.

1. Airports. They sell iPods in vending machines at airports but what good is that if you can't get any songs on it? Buy an iPod touch and start downloading.

2. AppleTV, this is the prelude to an AppleTV update which also has the store. Buy video and songs right from your couch. The movie downloads and syncs back to your computer. It's more convenient to browse movies and buy one from the TV than running up stairs to make your purchase and then waiting for it to finish so you can stream it. Just watch as it downloads right to the AppleTV.

3. WiFi store is a bit ahead of its time but a lot of cities are now starting to plan rollouts of wifi networks throughout their cities for use by their residents. In 10 years WiFi will be everywhere (well wimax by then but...). Wifi everywhere = iTunes and internet everywhere.

Specifically having wifi everywhere and a computer back at home which you can browse documents on remotely (remember that from the Leopard demos?) you will be able to use coverflow (this is why it's part of finder.. to get people used to the file browse metaphor) on your iPod or iPhone to get at your files back on your computer. The iPhone/iPod is become an extension of your desktop. It's your computer away from the computer.

sanford
Sep 5, 2007, 04:34 PM
Checking dates for iPod touch ship dates and availability of Wifi Store for iPhone as written on Apple's web site, definitely sounds like the iPhone update to support the Wifi Store is timed so that the Wifi Store, the iPod touches and the iPhone access to the Wifi Store all roll out at the same time -- end of this month.

No mention of EDGE. I doubt it supports it. Not yet, anyway.

And, yep, I bet they will update Apple TV for the Wifi Store, too. Cool.

ClimbingTheLog
Sep 5, 2007, 04:47 PM
I don't get it. So they factored out the iTunes Store part of iTunes, right? The iPhone is OSX, iTunes runs on OSX.... this is iTunes with some parts turned off.

Or am I completely missing something?

I run the iTunes Store 'for WiFi' on my Mac all the time...

twoodcc
Sep 5, 2007, 06:07 PM
this is good. i probably won't use it, but it's good for apple and it's customers.

PupnTaco
Sep 5, 2007, 06:19 PM
So if you buy a song from the iTMS on your iPhone/iPod Touch, does it sync to your iTunes Library on your computer?

psychofreak
Sep 5, 2007, 06:20 PM
So if you buy a song from the iTMS on your iPhone/iPod Touch, does it sync to your iTunes Library on your computer?

Yes :)

Project
Sep 5, 2007, 06:23 PM
Nice feature, I wouldn't use it but it was one of the major detractors of the Zune's wireless networking capabilities. The tie in with Starbucks is a fancy feature, sad that it didn't come with free wifi access apart from to buy the songs (that's how I am reading it), and I wonder what Starbucks are getting in return, or if other venues will arrange deals with Apple.

The killer application for a device like this is being able to buy it, and get free wireless with nationwide providers (e.g., the cloud in the UK) because it comes with the device.

The Cloud is going to be awesome with this device. You can get coverage literally everywhere in central Manchester

Doctor Q
Sep 5, 2007, 07:23 PM
Why did they name it the iTunes WiFi Music Store instead of the iTunes WiFi Store? Do they have no plans ever to handle any other type of download?

synth3tik
Sep 5, 2007, 07:28 PM
why even release it now if it's going to take two weeks for the iPhone.

BWhaler
Sep 5, 2007, 07:57 PM
Apple is probably gearing up to release a JESUS patch.
My guess is that it will have a ton of bug fixes, WiFi iTunes, and probably at least three other new homescreen apps.
(Just a guess though)

I agree. Right before the holiday to really drum up excitement.

My prediction on the 3 "missing" apps:

iChat
Sports Ticker
???

I'd love to think the 3rd one is Skype or something of that ilk, but there is no way that is going to happen.

btallada9870
Sep 5, 2007, 10:25 PM
I hope you can download over edge. Cingular or AT&T lets you do it through their service, but i'm sure not many people do it so it doens't really slow down the network. I feel like Wi-fi is useless because I'm never in a wi-fi hotspot unless i'm home or in another house. Maybe in 10 years, but who will still have the same iphone/ipod?

tfh1013
Sep 5, 2007, 10:26 PM
I was looking at the iTS icon for the iPhone, and Steve shows it on the left side. :confused: It got me to thinking... Maybe we'll see three other apps to fill in those spaces before it's released... Whadya think?

FreeState
Sep 5, 2007, 10:33 PM
Checking dates for iPod touch ship dates and availability of Wifi Store for iPhone as written on Apple's web site, definitely sounds like the iPhone update to support the Wifi Store is timed so that the Wifi Store, the iPod touches and the iPhone access to the Wifi Store all roll out at the same time -- end of this month.

Except for the fact that Apple states the Wi-Fi store is available today!

http://www.apple.com/startpage/

Introducing the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
Starting today, you can enter the new iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store; wirelessly browse, search, preview, purchase, and download songs or albums to your iPhone or iPod touch; then immediately listen to your new music after it downloads. Once you get back to your Mac or PC, iTunes automatically recognizes the new music and syncs it with your existing library. iTunes will even complete the download of any partially downloaded songs or albums.

ShiggyMiyamoto
Sep 5, 2007, 11:16 PM
As others have mentioned, what about non-audio content? I wouldn't mind being able to download video podcasts when in range of a WiFi hotspot. Now that the iPhone is more affordable, it's more possible that I'd get one. If they enable this to work over EDGE, I could download weekly video podcasts such as MacBreak where ever I am, whether in a WiFi network coverage area or not. This is truly a happy day. :apple: ROCKS!

i0Nic
Sep 5, 2007, 11:24 PM
Yup we really need to find out if we can download podcasts over the wifi store.

I have a feeling it won't have podcasts.

ShiggyMiyamoto
Sep 6, 2007, 12:11 AM
Yup we really need to find out if we can download podcasts over the wifi store.

I have a feeling it won't have podcasts.

I have a feeling I'll be getting my iPhone sometime next week due to me getting the first check at the new job. I know this is another thread's discussion, but I'm happy I waited. $399 for an 8GB iPhone is awesome! When I have it I'll try out the iTunes WiFi [Music] Store and I'll report whether or not podcasts are elligible to download. I really hope they are. I have months upon months of MacOSKen to catch up on lol.

abrooks
Sep 6, 2007, 02:30 AM
When I have it I'll try out the iTunes WiFi [Music] Store and I'll report whether or not podcasts are elligible to download. I really hope they are.

You and everyone else when the feature is released.

DaftUnion
Sep 6, 2007, 03:49 AM
Can't wait to try this out when they release that software update for the iPhone.

ufome
Sep 6, 2007, 04:08 PM
My question is does the iTunes WiFi Music Store know which songs or albums you have purchased in the past or only what is on your iPod Touch or iPhone or does it know nothing?

I am sure Steve Jobs owns all Dylan and Lennon songs but the demo did not prompt him with a message that he already purchased the songs (yes I understand it was only a demo).

I ask because what if you really want to or need to listen to a song and you already own it but you are one the road and it is not on your device. Will it allow you to download the song again? This will cost you more but you get instant gratification. Whereas if you can't download it will people be upset that they have to sync with their computer to get it on their device?

Just been on my mind...

Doctor Q
Sep 6, 2007, 04:58 PM
My question is does the iTunes WiFi Music Store know which songs or albums you have purchased in the past or only what is on your iPod Touch or iPhone or does it know nothing?I assume it knows, but it would be smart to test it once to make sure. In theory, it might even depend on whether or not the song was stored on your iPod at the time, but I'm guessing it will be smart about it.

sanford
Sep 6, 2007, 05:54 PM
I assume it knows, but it would be smart to test it once to make sure. In theory, it might even depend on whether or not the song was stored on your iPod at the time, but I'm guessing it will be smart about it.

Think of "iTunes WiFi Music Store" as mere branding. A good analogy is that there is a version of iTunes for the Mac and one for Windows, and now there will be one for iPhode (you like that? iPhode? I mean the iPod touch is just a stripped iPhone running the same OS with same interface; so iPhode represents the capabilities they share.) So, if you buy music from two computers authorized to your account, your Windows PC you are forced at gunpoint to use at work, and your your lovely Mac at home, iTunes Store still knows what you bought. (And remember you can now transfer purchased music from one authorized computer to another via your iPod. It'll ask you and copy it over, to the iTunes computer the iPod or or iPhode is associated with.)

It's just a custom auto body style, really -- all on top of the same frame and engine. Everything is tied to your Apple ID, which is your iTunes Store account name. Doesn't matter from where you buy.

Now whether or not you'll have to burn up a computer authorization for your iPhode, I don't know. I doubt it, since you can authorize only so many computers running iTunes but you can sync as many iPods as you wish with those computers authorized for your purchased music. And since the iPhode is just an iPod that can buy, it doesn't really change anything about the licensing arrangement. The purchased tracks just get to the iPod before they get to the authorized computer's iTunes library, a first, but it doesn't actually increase the number of computers authorized to play purchased music (yeah, I know iPhode is really just a small, rather powerful computer, but for simplicity's sake). iPod and iPhode count is unlimited and it will only sync your WiFi purchased music with computer already authorized. So noo problem.

Whew! I'm longwinded tonight. But you get it: the account and account history goes with the store, not the device, and the WiFi Music Store is just a different interface on the same store, one that displays things in a different way, won't allow video purchases and has some other unique features (Starbucks tie-in stuff), but it's still the same iTunes Store running it all.

spicoli
Sep 6, 2007, 07:28 PM
So, it sounds like you can download a song and "store" it on your iPhone or iPod touch. Does anyone think that this feature of "storing" a downloaded file on your iPhone will lead to the ability to download and "store" lets say attachments in mail?

sanford
Sep 6, 2007, 07:35 PM
So, it sounds like you can download a song and "store" it on your iPhone or iPod touch. Does anyone think that this feature of "storing" a downloaded file on your iPhone will lead to the ability to download and "store" lets say attachments in mail?

Well you can already store attachments by just not deleting the e-mail. Right now, what you're looking for would be the snowball-fight-in-hell iPhone firmware update.

Seriously, if they do add a file system for other types of data files to iPhone, it won't come directly out of the WiFi Music Store. It will be a later feature added if Apple thinks demand warrants it. A standard file system for spreadsheets or what have you would complicate the iPhone and I think they're very, very touchy -- pardon the pun -- about complicating the use and interface of iPhone.

Project
Sep 6, 2007, 09:49 PM
I think Apple could introduce a very simple and easy to use GUI for a file system in the iPhone.

Essentially a folder for each type of file. Music/Document/PDF/Excel/Photo etc. You receive an email with a .xls attachment. You can touch 'Save' on the interface and it automatically goes into the Excel folder.

For attaching files to emails, you touch 'Attach' and an interface similar to the iPod list view comes into play. Touch the type of document you want to attach and they are all there listed... or even Cover Flow.

As for podcasts in the WiFi store... this would be really nice but if its not implemented you can just visit the site of the podcast in question and stream it there in Safari.

imnotsayin
Sep 7, 2007, 12:59 PM
Anyone else notice that on Apple's "Apple Hot News" RSS feed under the headline "Introducing the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store" it begins "Starting today, you can enter the new iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store" ??

http://www.apple.com/main/rss/hotnews/hotnews.rss

Its been up all day.

ctsport1234
Sep 7, 2007, 01:01 PM
really cool addition! way to go apple!:apple:

sanford
Sep 7, 2007, 01:25 PM
Anyone else notice that on Apple's "Apple Hot News" RSS feed under the headline "Introducing the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store" it begins "Starting today, you can enter the new iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store" ??

http://www.apple.com/main/rss/hotnews/hotnews.rss

Its been up all day.

And I bet you can, too, if you work for Apple and have a pre-release iPod touch or the new iPhone firmware update already installed. For the rest of us, we'll be able to join the fun when iPod touch people get their iPod touches and on the same day we iPhone people drop our iPhones in to sync and up pops the firmware update.

I think some PR type just had this all written and posted it too soon when they meant to post the other piece, the one pre-announcing the WiFi music store. But you bet it's probably already running: they want people who are getting review units to be able to try it out as part of their reviews of the iPod touch.

voxcon
Sep 7, 2007, 01:29 PM

No.

Nice, simple answer. Care to explain why to the original poster or anyone else who is concerned?

sanford
Sep 7, 2007, 01:47 PM
Nice, simple answer. Care to explain why to the original poster or anyone else who is concerned?

Because even if you are on an open network with not so much as WEP encryption -- and usually open networks have some sort encryption; they just give you the encryption key and let you use the service for free -- your Apple ID and password or sent, but I don't think iTunes sends in the clear (unencrypted). I think it encrypts the login information whether or not the WiFi network does or not. In all other login boxes, Mac OS X tells you if your user/pass will be sent in the clear and iTunes does not. Anyway, no credit card data are whatever is sent unless you going in and update it during the session; perhaps the WiFi Store application will not even allow it, but I think it will probably give you access to your account settings.

People could of course capture the songs you download but since their computers aren't authorize to play them, they'd be useless.

Anyway, many, many people have been using open WiFi networks to buy from the iTunes Store via laptops for about as long as there has been an iTunes Store. And I've heard of not a single issue.