PDA

View Full Version : Apple's biggest screwup ever.

seenew
Sep 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
Only 16GB on the iPod Touch? Who are they kidding?! And for $400?!
They had me sold on it until the capacity, they really did. I was going to buy one today.

This is STUPID. All to keep the damn thing thin. I'm am pissed beyond words.

shadowmoses
Sep 5, 2007, 01:29 PM
It uses flash memory (Which is very expensive) Hence the low memory capacity......16gb is plenty for most people, if you want to store loads go for the iPod classic. In short quit moaning

Flyinace2000
Sep 5, 2007, 01:31 PM
I am with the OP on this one. I am torned. I want the full screen and 160gb. I have been waiting for that mythical full screen iPod for 2 years now.

seenew
Sep 5, 2007, 01:32 PM
This thing is aimed at hardcore iPod fans, and they screwed us over. I have 27GB of music, and 20GB of movies. I already have a 60GB iPod, I won't be wasting any money on anything larger; I don't need it.

This is just ridiculous. They completely missed their demographic.

Sdao
Sep 5, 2007, 01:32 PM
They had me sold on it until the capacity, they really did. I was going to buy one today.

Apple is taking on an entire new product with this launch, and you're complaining about the capacity? Did you not see the other announcement today? There's a 160gig iPod Classic available right now.

This is as smart a move as Apple could make at this point. 16gigs is not a lot, but its a product launch! Give it time, the iPod touch will see a MUCH higher capacity with future generations/revisions.

Xavier
Sep 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
True having all my music at hand is nice, but I really only listen to a few playlists when i am walking to class, or working out. 16gb is more than enough for those playlists that I want.

I can't listen to all 7,000 of my songs at once. If I want to go to a party and bring my music, my 80gb iPod can do that, but for me now, the iPod touch is my new iPod.

aidanpendragon
Sep 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
I'm sure battery life/video playback time would be *great* on a HDD-based model. "Hey, you've got 160GB, but can only use a fraction of it before the thing dies!" Bigger screen + touch technology + Wifi (can you turn it off to increase life?) = need for Flash.

And as my recent experiment demonstrates, 4 hour-long TV episodes take up only about 1.5GB at very generous encoding rates, so 16GB is OK.

Sdao
Sep 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
This thing is aimed at hardcore iPod fans, and they screwed us over. I have 27GB of music, and 20GB of movies. I already have a 60GB iPod, I won't be wasting any money on anything larger; I don't need it.

They missed their demographic? What are you smoking?

They've hit every target they possibly could. A new shuffle for music on the go, a new nano for smaller music collections and cool video capability, an ipod classic for that real music lover, and the ipod touch, for people who use wifi on the go and wouldnt mind having 16gigs of music to to rock out to on a daily basis. Its the new gadget that a lot of people are going to fall in love with.

You can always buy one and change your music when you need to. Or just get the 160gig classic and **** already.

zing.

maokh
Sep 5, 2007, 01:36 PM

Do you really want to pay $1000-$3000 for an iPod?

I really dont think they missed their demographic.

mkrishnan
Sep 5, 2007, 01:36 PM
This is as smart a move as Apple could make at this point. 16gigs is not a lot, but its a product launch! Give it time, the iPod touch will see a MUCH higher capacity with future generations/revisions.

Agreed... 16GB is one of the largest flash consumer devices ever. And it probably won't be any bigger before Christmas, but it will next year.

Biggest screwup ever? Emokitteh is being emo.

bousozoku
Sep 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
Take a look at the Palm T|X for $299, which only has 128MB and tell me that Apple is truly over priced for such a device.

AJ Muni
Sep 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
It uses flash memory (Which is very expensive) Hence the low memory capacity......16gb is plenty for most people, if you want to store loads go for the iPod classic. In short quit moaning

Amen.

True having all my music at hand is nice, but I really only listen to a few playlists when i am walking to class, or working out. 16gb is more than enough for those playlists that I want.

I can't listen to all 7,000 of my songs at once. If I want to go to a party and bring my music, my 80gb iPod can do that, but for me now, the iPod touch is my new iPod.

Amen x 2. How much do people listen to all their music on an 80GB+ ipod? It's a nice to have, but not necessary. And it's flash people, FLASH! No lagging while the HD spins. I hated that with past ipods. And i LOOOOVE the wifi part. No more bringing my laptop to class to look at notes online, or laying in bed with my hot ass mbp. I love it, and think its perfect. Obviously the size will get bigger with time as flash gets cheaper. But for now, 16GB is perfect.

wongulous
Sep 5, 2007, 01:40 PM
I am with the OP on this one. I am torned. I want the full screen and 160gb. I have been waiting for that mythical full screen iPod for 2 years now.

Well, yanno, I'd like the energy efficiency of a Toyota Prius, the power of a Ford Mustang, the cute styling of a Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible, and the interior of a Jaguar, but I'll have to keep waiting... :rolleyes:

iMikeT
Sep 5, 2007, 01:42 PM
Considering that I sync my current iPod with my Mac almost every day, 16 gigs is plenty.

Chaszmyr
Sep 5, 2007, 01:43 PM
No doubt about it, I'd buy a 16gb iPod touch if i didn't already have an iPhone. It'd be cool if there was also a hard drive version, but I wouldn't call it a screw up at all.

seenew
Sep 5, 2007, 01:44 PM

exactly. I would settle for 30GB, even, I could at least fit my music on that.

Markleshark
Sep 5, 2007, 01:45 PM
Pur-Lease.

Perfect.

The iPodclassic has 160gig, buy that. What? You want touch interface? Well you'll have to give up some storage. Ohhhh, you want it all. Then you'll have just been complaining it was too expensive.

You know, it's not the moaning that gets me. It really isnt, its the fact you people think you know better than Apple. They do months of R&D, its perfectly how they want it. You can't please all the people all the time.

robPOD
Sep 5, 2007, 01:46 PM
Well yes agree the size is a little dissapointing, but what can you expect? Im getting myself an 8gb, becuase I dont have enoough money for the 16 gb:)

seenew
Sep 5, 2007, 01:52 PM
I guess this is $400 I'll put towards that 70-200mm lens I want. :(

ziwi
Sep 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
so for the capacity folks out there - a slot for an SD card would basically solve the issue?

liketom
Sep 5, 2007, 02:01 PM
so for the capacity folks out there - a slot for an SD card would basically solve the issue?

if i wanted a SD slot on a MP3 player, i'd buy one of them crappy things off ebay

Flyinace2000
Sep 5, 2007, 02:03 PM

I was just hoping for a iPhone like devices tht was a little thicker that was hard drive based. I am just not a fan of the 2.5" screen.

I might just buy an iPhone for 399 and say screw it.

GraceMolloy
Sep 5, 2007, 02:06 PM
I've been sitting on my slowly dieing 3rd gen for over a year, waiting for this release.

Guess what Apple, I'm NOT buying this thing till it gets a HARD DRIVE!

I don't CARE if it's a little thicker!

homeboy
Sep 5, 2007, 02:08 PM
This really suck and from the reaction of most people i'm not the only one who's unhappy.

I was really looking forward to a high capacity iPod touch so that I could carry with my tons of music and videos. 8GB and 16GB is far from satisfactory. I'm a music freak ready to watch videos on the go.

Some of you argue that 16GB is enough. Well for many it isn't. I'm not the type who want to spend 15 minutes each day deleting and adding new songs. I want to have it all with me. For me 32GB is the minimum and neither do I want to wait until next year for a 32GB iPod touch.

I'm heavily disappointed, I mean I had the cash and all ready to pick up a iPod flash with 80Gb for 399.

seenew
Sep 5, 2007, 02:14 PM
This really suck and from the reaction of most people i'm not the only one who's unhappy.

I was really looking forward to a high capacity iPod touch so that I could carry with my tons of music and videos. 8GB and 16GB is far from satisfactory. I'm a music freak ready to watch videos on the go.

Some of you argue that 16GB is enough. Well for many it isn't. I'm not the type who want to spend 15 minutes each day deleting and adding new songs. I want to have it all with me. For me 32GB is the minimum and neither do I want to wait until next year for a 32GB iPod touch.

I'm heavily disappointed, I mean I had the cash and all ready to pick up a iPod flash with 80Gb for 399.

Yes, yes, yes. I was expecting 40 and 80GB HDD based. They won't be getting my money until It's at least 30GB. I suppose there is time for an update before Christmas, if there is enough outcry. If not, there's always Macworld.

generationxwing
Sep 5, 2007, 02:14 PM

So don't buy one, how hard is that? "Pissed beyond words." What a joke. You've got problems.

seenew
Sep 5, 2007, 02:18 PM
So don't buy one, how hard is that? "Pissed beyond words." What a joke. You've got problems.

I'm not going to. But I believe I have the same right as others who voice their disappointment here all the time. So you could contribute, or step out of the thread.

smurfy
Sep 5, 2007, 02:20 PM
They missed their demographic? What are you smoking?

They've hit every target they possibly could. A new shuffle for music on the go, a new nano for smaller music collections and cool video capability, an ipod classic for that real music lover, and the ipod touch, for people who use wifi on the go and wouldnt mind having 16gigs of music to to rock out to on a daily basis. Its the new gadget that a lot of people are going to fall in love with.

You can always buy one and change your music when you need to. Or just get the 160gig classic and **** already.

zing.

We are going to pay more and not get as much space as an iPod which costs less.

Also, what is this new shuffle you speak of...oh, it doesn't exist...right.

People who pay $300 for an iPod are the people who use 80GB of space.

ChrisBrightwell
Sep 5, 2007, 02:27 PM
The decision to dump the hard drive was probably to keep the battery life at a respectable level while driving that ridiculously large screen and powering the touch interface.

I'm thinking of trading my 60GB 5G for a 16GB touch ... the wifi+Safari combo is too much for me to resist.

riverfreak
Sep 5, 2007, 02:31 PM
We are going to pay more and not get as much space as an iPod which costs less.

Also, what is this new shuffle you speak of...oh, it doesn't exist...right.

From the success of the original iPod at the unheard of price of $499/5GB to the iPhone, those most likely to drop the cash are not first and foremost concerned about capacity. I used to be one of the high capacity crowd, but scrolling through the 20GB 2nd gen was just too much for me.

I'd say they nailed the target market perfectly with the Touch.

raptor96
Sep 5, 2007, 02:34 PM

Agreed. I'm only disappointed because I've been holding onto my 3g ipod waiting for the full video iPod. Granted I think the Touch is amazing, the fact that I can't fit all of my music alone on it is disappointing. I also have like 50gb of movies/shows and while I wasn't expecting to fit all of that I was expecting at least like 24gb (16+8) so I could fit all my music and some video.

While you can say that Apple did it perfect for what they wanted, as a company they should look to serve what their consumers want...as much as you want to fan-boy it ("Apple did it perfectly for what THEY wanted") that's a ridiculous conception, because their R&D should be going towards finding out what WE want, our needs shouldn't adapt to the product. The other issue I have is that the price point for such a low capacity is now the same as getting an iPhone...wtf (granted the iPhone has an even lower capacity but it has the redeeming quality of being a phone). And if I can't fit my music on the touch, then why not at least get the phone functionality as well if I'm making the sacrifice. My issue here is this - for those of us with well over 20gb of digital media, the difference between 8 gb and 16 gb is not much because either way we're not able to carry our whole library and since the people who are targeted by these two products are in fact, as stated above, the people who DO have large libraries...it's a little dumb IMO. All that said, I may keep my phone and go with the Touch so I can gain the add'l capacity and not have to go anywhere near AT&T. Though I'm definitely hesitating, where I wouldn't have if it was 32gb or even 24gb. My two cents.

MovieCutter
Sep 5, 2007, 02:41 PM
My biggest problem is that I was waiting for this device as a MOVIE player, which to me would mean having a 160GB hard drive. I too was sold until he announced the capacity. I understand what they're doing, but I have an 8GB iPhone and the music capacity is great, but I want to store movies and TV shows up the wazoo and I can't do that with 16GB of space. I'll probably end up buying one anyway though :rolleyes::cool:

But really, 160GB on a SMALL screen and 16GB on a HUGE screen!? WTF mate?

I just wish they announced a 16GB iPhone today.

Osarkon
Sep 5, 2007, 02:46 PM
I really didn't expect them to branch the 'iPod classic' apart from the iPod touch. Although once they'd shown that pitiful storage, it's obvious why.

I'll end up getting a classic, but I really hope that you can turn off the album art features, because iTunes doesn't find half the artwork for my music and it's a lot of hassle to go and find it myself.

MacRumorUser
Sep 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
Dissapointed by the announcement.

I wanted a 160gb ipod touch and would have happily slapped down 499 for the priviledge.

Instead I'm presented with ipod classic for 160gb, but as an owner since Rev 2 ipod's I'm a little tired of the design and wanted the touch screen and interface

iPod touch, crippled for me with its 16gb capacity.

I have 81 gb of music in my iTunes library that has outgrown my 5.5g and I need more storage. And watching video on a normal ipod sucks ass period.

But now apple don't have an ipod that caters for me fully. So I'm :(:(

Doctor Q
Sep 5, 2007, 02:48 PM
Please continue the discussion in the news discussion thread.