Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twentyeight7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2003
im a switcher.....nuff said

i orderd a g5 with the standard 512 to expedidate the shipping process i want to add an extra gig of ram to the thing is that going to mess up any kinda of warranty ... any info will be helpful

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: apples, memory and warranties

Originally posted by twentyeight7
im a switcher.....nuff said

i orderd a g5 with the standard 512 to expedidate the shipping process i want to add an extra gig of ram to the thing is that going to mess up any kinda of warranty ... any info will be helpful

No, memory, cards, and drives are user installable items that have no effect on the warranty. That is unless some how you short something out and they can prove it happened because of your installation.

twentyeight7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2003
good im just askin cuz in the woreld of the pc as soon as u crack open that case ur scruued

twentyeight7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2003
ya i was going to put cruical ram in 2 512 sticks 1 per mem chan on my dual 2 ghz any other sugestions in the ways of ram.... better yet anything a switcher should know before makin the jump

i would like to thank you guys for the VERY VERY fast responces i tried gettin answers on irc but theres nothin but mac snobs out there

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
ya i was going to put cruical ram in 2 512 sticks 1 per mem chan on my dual 2 ghz any other sugestions in the ways of ram.... better yet anything a switcher should know before makin the jump

i would like to thank you guys for the VERY VERY fast responces i tried gettin answers on irc but theres nothin but mac snobs out there
You're welcome. That sounds like a sweet machine. Enjoy it!
:cool:

MacBandit

macrumors 604

Really there's not a lot to know and anything you should know is freely available by searching this site.

There are few things that should be done under OSX though for regular maintenance but it really isn't worth discussing until you have the machine in front of you so you can perform the tasks and learn and understand what you are doing.

twentyeight7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2003
well thanks alot

dont get me wrong i would concider my self a windows poweruser but its alittle bit diffrent distroying my 600 dollar self built pirated windows machine then my new $3000 g5 :D

so when i think im taking a chance ill be back here askin the dumb questions that a switcher should ask

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Apples, memory and warranties...

Hmm... All I'd say is don't buy either from Apple!

Your warranty is fine for many simple things; in fact, Apple prides itself on easy access to the guts of its computers. "The Ultimate Open-Door Policy" they called it in advertisements -- with a picture of the G4 tower (or was it the Blue and White G3 towers?) swung open.

PCI cards, RAM, video cards, Airport cards, etc. are all considered standard user-installable items.

To really crack into Macs on a poweruser level, you're going to need to familiarise yourself with Unix. I suggest you start with a little book called OS X Hints. Perhaps wait though for the Panther edition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.