PDA

View Full Version : someone call it as it is: iPod touch is a PDA

clevin
Sep 5, 2007, 02:40 PM
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13315

PDA review site.

at the price tag, its direct competitor is palm TX, iPod touch has better browser, TX has more functionality.

Apple has just announced the new iPod touch. As this will include touchscreen input, Wi-Fi, and a web browser, Apple is finally re-entered the traditional handheld market, which has stayed out of since it stopped offering the Newton many years ago.
And though Apple may not advertise it as PDA, its new model has close to every function many PDAs have at this time. This includes calender, contacts, web browsing, and note taking.

The Stig
Sep 5, 2007, 02:41 PM
No way. It isn't a PDA. IT DOESN'T TAKE NOTES!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO NOTES!!!

If it has note and the same keybaord as the iphone then it's a PDA. What happened to mail too?

The Stig

clevin
Sep 5, 2007, 02:44 PM
Its obviously more like a PDA than a music/video player, those who expecting this to be an update pf current iPod video should look other way.

tmiw
Sep 5, 2007, 02:58 PM
No way. It isn't a PDA. IT DOESN'T TAKE NOTES!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO NOTES!!!

If it has note and the same keybaord as the iphone then it's a PDA. What happened to mail too?

The Stig

I imagine the iPhone hackers will find a way to copy the apps on the iPhone to the new iPod. I mean, the hardware is the same other than phone/lack of phone, right?

So yes, it is a PDA.

Jiddick ExRex
Sep 5, 2007, 03:03 PM
Address Book but no Mail? What the F? :confused:

bousozoku
Sep 5, 2007, 03:12 PM
It's a huge deal compared to the Palm T|X with the exception of third party applications and Bluetooth connectivity.

The ability to synchronise with the computer is better also.

Safari works nicely on the iPhone so I don't see any reason you can't easily do e-mail through a website.

Besides all that, it's still a great music player.

clevin
Sep 5, 2007, 03:17 PM
It's a huge deal compared to the Palm T|X with the exception of third party applications and Bluetooth connectivity.

Safari works nicely on the iPhone so I don't see any reason you can't easily do e-mail through a website.

I honestly only see mobile safari as a significant plus for iPod touch when compare to palm T|X. I will wait for more detail to come out. such as wi-fi battery life (T|X only gets 2 hrs when wi-fi is connected, not very nice), policy of 3rd party app (allow or not, easy or not, etc...)

LouTreize
Sep 5, 2007, 03:37 PM

I agree with this post...i'd like to contribute to this because i own a Palm TX...even tho it is a very functional PDA, this new iPod has got me a little worried...the collaboration of Google and AAPL has me going too...who knows what will happen next...Google has most of their apps on the web...you can make notes, you can make docs, spreadsheets and the list continues. And this is only the beginning coming from Google. If this relationship between the 2 continue (and it's going strong just because YouTube comes standard on the iPod Touch), then ya, this iPod will eventually become a standard PDA and i don't see why not. It's only in a matter time where u'll find a boat load of 3rd party apps designed for the iPod that'll gear towards it being a fully functional PDA.

You know every product has their thing, whether it's good or bad but this one right here...i hate to say it...but...it's a pretty dope job coming from Apple.

One problem, IMO...i dont know if PDAs are doing as well as they used too...can anyone figure that one out? If i look at myself? I went from a note pad (u know, pen and paper) to a PDA (Palm TX) to a Blackberry in a matter of 2-3 yrs. So even though the new iPod is amazing and has all these expectations, if the new "thing" is having a smartphone or wtv u wanna call it (Palm, BB, MotoQ, Blackjack and so on), then shouldn't the iPhone come on top of all this? Whats going to happen down the line...well, people are already saying it...

QUOTE]For people that didn't want to be locked into a long contract, this is a great alternative," says one money manager who is long Apple and has no AT&T position.[/QUOTE]
Source: The Street (http://www.thestreet.com/s/iphone-shift-bruises-apple/newsanalysis/techtelecom/10378004.html?puc=_tscrss&)

Now! I dont know how to think anymore amongst all this...all of what i said...it's mind boggling...

Slayerboym88
Sep 5, 2007, 03:45 PM
Is it plausible that the iPod Touch will see updates later down the road, giving it its notes and email back? Since it is the same system as the iPhone and we know that the iPhone can get hardware updates (see iPhoto updates) and natural security updates, then can't Apple just add these back in?!

Of course, that does beg the question, why did they leave them out in the first place? If you're putting internet on a phone, why would you leave out email? It's like having cherry pie w/o the whipped cream! And notes is such an easy application, and I doubt that it requires that much space.

GFLPraxis
Sep 5, 2007, 03:51 PM
Wow, you're right! I hadn't noticed there was no Mail on the iPod Touch!

That's actually something of a deal-breaker. The iPod Touch can appeal to people on low budgets that are always near a WiFi network, but without mail, it's just a widescreen iPod with less capacity and a web browser.

bousozoku
Sep 5, 2007, 05:50 PM
Wow, you're right! I hadn't noticed there was no Mail on the iPod Touch!

That's actually something of a deal-breaker. The iPod Touch can appeal to people on low budgets that are always near a WiFi network, but without mail, it's just a widescreen iPod with less capacity and a web browser.

You can't use Safari to access Google mail, Yahoo! mail or Hotmail or one of the others? I can do e-mail on my phone but I'd rather wait until I can use a complete computer with a complete keyboard.

j5uh
Sep 5, 2007, 11:00 PM
You can't use Safari to access Google mail, Yahoo! mail or Hotmail or one of the others? I can do e-mail on my phone but I'd rather wait until I can use a complete computer with a complete keyboard.

gmail, yahoo mail and hotmail is considered WEB mail.. which should be ok.. hes talking about mail.app

gloss
Sep 5, 2007, 11:08 PM
gmail, yahoo mail and hotmail is considered WEB mail.. which should be ok.. hes talking about mail.app

Frankly, the iPhone's mail app was only marginally more useful than using webmail anyway.

queshy
Sep 5, 2007, 11:25 PM
Could the iPod touch be a replacement for my Dell x50v pda?

On the dell I do web browsing (iPod Touch > x50v clearly). I have a bunch of contacts (iPod Touch > x50v since it syncs with my mac). I also rely heavily on the calendar apps. I use Pocket informant and pocket breeze for the today screen and the x50v is clearly superior to the iPod Touch in that sense. But hey, if the calendar still lets me write down assignments, classes, etc, it should suffice - the tradeoff is worth it for multitouch, safari, iPod, etc. I also use it to check my e-mail a lot so I will miss the mail app. Should I get the iPod touch? I guess I would keep my iPod video in the car and use it with my FM transmitter (which actually works great).