PDA

View Full Version : How relevant will WiFi actually be?

OrangeCuse44
Sep 5, 2007, 04:48 PM
When you are home with your personal WiFi access for iPod Touch, you have your computer. When you are out and away from a computer, you cannot access a network like EDGE, so how relevant will Safari actually be?

TheMotif
Sep 5, 2007, 04:49 PM
I have this same exact question...

WildCowboy
Sep 5, 2007, 04:52 PM
It entirely depends on whether you have open networks (or are willing to pony up at paid hotspots) near where you typically are.

Take college students...more and more campuses are moving to campus-wide Wi-Fi. So wherever they go, they'll be able to use their iPod to access the network. Pretty sweet.

Take a laptop with you on a typical day and see where you can get a connection. That'll help you decide if it's worth it.

sdfd504
Sep 5, 2007, 05:21 PM
I have to agree with WildCowboy. I am a college student and I ordered he iPod touch because I will be able to get on the internet while at school without having to take my Macbook Pro with me everywhere I go.

zea mays
Sep 5, 2007, 05:22 PM
My city is currently rolling out city-wide wifi. This'll be very relevant for me.

OrangeCuse44
Sep 5, 2007, 05:30 PM
It entirely depends on whether you have open networks (or are willing to pony up at paid hotspots) near where you typically are.

Take college students...more and more campuses are moving to campus-wide Wi-Fi. So wherever they go, they'll be able to use their iPod to access the network. Pretty sweet.

Why did i have to graduate in May...

Gen3tix
Sep 5, 2007, 05:30 PM
I love that the new iPod Touch has Wi-Fi. It'll be nice to be able to go to a hotspot and just pull it out to check something really fast. This way, I can leave my laptop at home unless I know for a fact I'll need to use it for anything other than webbrowsing.

Also, I even use my PSP Wi-Fi once in a while at home if I have to look at something quickly without bothering to boot up my computer or anything.

vanzskater272
Sep 5, 2007, 05:32 PM
Well theres a lot of places that have wifi. But I think a lot of people will be buying it more cause they like the fact that can use wifi not that there actually gonna use it that much.:)

Schnebar
Sep 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
can you use the touch and iPhone on starbucks wifi for free?

I always thought you could just sit in front with your computer and use it.

But they made a big deal about the free wifi itunes in starbucks.

Does that mean that wifi safari is not free?

or is it?

ftaok
Sep 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
When you are home with your personal WiFi access for iPod Touch, you have your computer. When you are out and away from a computer, you cannot access a network like EDGE, so how relevant will Safari actually be?

I have wi-fi at home, and the iPod touch would be perfect for taking a dump with. It's extremely awkward to surf with a laptop when on the toilet.

ft

psychofreak
Sep 5, 2007, 05:42 PM

or is it?

Safari is not free, the iTS is :)

ftaok
Sep 5, 2007, 05:43 PM

or is it?Starbucks wifi has always been for $$$. They are teamed with Tmobile and charge you a few bucks a day. I'm guessing that you get free wifi for iTMS use because Starbucks probably gets a small cut.

If you want free wifi, go to Panera Bread. The food is better and the wifi is free.

ft

OrangeCuse44
Sep 5, 2007, 05:46 PM
I have wi-fi at home, and the iPod touch would be perfect for taking a dump with. It's extremely awkward to surf with a laptop when on the toilet.

ft

I do like the warmth of my MacBook on my legs during...

odinsride
Sep 5, 2007, 05:50 PM

ft

You really can't pry yourself away from the internet long enough to take a dump? Sheesh... :p

sandman42
Sep 5, 2007, 06:00 PM
As stated above, free wi-fi is becoming available enough that I think its significant on the 'Touch', but what'll really be cool is if someone manages to get Skype working on it! Also, there's an application out there that people are installing on their iPhones that allows them to access their iTunes music library off their home computer via the internet. If we could install that on the iPod Touch it would mean you'd have access to *all* your music, not just 8 or 16Gb worth. The fact that there's some kind of remote connectivity available *at all* opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Xavier
Sep 5, 2007, 06:18 PM
My whole campus here is completely wireless so I am really looking forward to when my iPod Touch arrives (October 2nd - 4th!!!!)

michaelrjohnson
Sep 5, 2007, 08:00 PM
As stated above, free wi-fi is becoming available enough that I think its significant on the 'Touch', but what'll really be cool is if someone manages to get Skype working on it! Also, there's an application out there that people are installing on their iPhones that allows them to access their iTunes music library off their home computer via the internet. If we could install that on the iPod Touch it would mean you'd have access to *all* your music, not just 8 or 16Gb worth. The fact that there's some kind of remote connectivity available *at all* opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Sandman, somehow that didn't occur to me, but that is the *best* idea. By the time I can afford a new iPod, that will have happened.

Excellent.

TheMotif
Sep 5, 2007, 08:04 PM
There's free wifi at the coffee shop where I work, so this aspect may not be too useless after all.

MAW
Sep 5, 2007, 08:09 PM
posted elswhere, i know. but here it is...

http://www.wififreespot.com/

clevin
Sep 5, 2007, 08:32 PM
lol, depends
if you treat iPod Touch as an media player, wi-fi is totally irrelevant.
if you treat it as a PDA, then you can look around, every decent PDA nowadays has wi-fi.

why we need a pda when we have laptop? ask those millions of PDA owner! cause its small, easy to carry

PhatBoyG
Sep 5, 2007, 09:00 PM
Because it's embarrassing to take your laptop into the restroom.

I use my iPhone on WiFi more than Edge, it's so much easier to check Google Reader and other "keep-up-to-date" items on the mobile device than carrying the laptop around.

Feeds, news, blogs, everything that just fluff typically gets read on the iPhone. The good stuff gets starred/shared from Google Reader for reading later on the laptop.

mduser63
Sep 5, 2007, 10:08 PM
Because it's embarrassing to take your laptop into the restroom.

I use my iPhone on WiFi more than Edge, it's so much easier to check Google Reader and other "keep-up-to-date" items on the mobile device than carrying the laptop around.

Feeds, news, blogs, everything that just fluff typically gets read on the iPhone. The good stuff gets starred/shared from Google Reader for reading later on the laptop.

I use my iPhone on EDGE more than on WiFi, but it's not too uncommon to find WiFi hot spots, and if I were still in school (where they have campus wide WiFi) I'd be using WiFi a lot.

mortys11
Sep 8, 2007, 09:59 PM
will you be able to access the radio part of itunes store to listen to all the radio stations via wifi on the iphone or ipod touch?

xyian
Sep 8, 2007, 10:05 PM
Where I live, it's a huge deal. We have WiFi open across the whole city for free. So, in a situation like that, it's very useful.

rbroady
Sep 8, 2007, 10:12 PM
My whole campus here is completely wireless so I am really looking forward to when my iPod Touch arrives (October 2nd - 4th!!!!)

haha, the day you find out your schools network blocked the touch from getting onto the server:)

nirvana06
Sep 8, 2007, 10:12 PM
There are tons of free wifi connections where i live. Be it free providers or people with unsecured networks. Plus there is a paid WiFi service in the downtown core.

It's going to be great.

Sep 8, 2007, 10:18 PM
Sandman, somehow that didn't occur to me, but that is the *best* idea. By the time I can afford a new iPod, that will have happened.

Excellent.

This is exactly where I believe Apple is aiming. AppleTV is one part of this strategy. With a control unit in place to communicate with the network and provide database access and menuing from a dedicated processor, AppleTV bridges the gap between the LAN and your home entertainment.

There are patent filings that indicate that Apple is serious about adding the ability for two way communication between input and output devices via AppleTV. For example, using iPhone to surf the network's media library remotely, and then play it back through a third device.

Soon we will see that on board storage will be even less relevant for the same reason that the ubiquity of email rendered the microfloppy superfluous. Content access from the net to your LAN over wifi, wimax/4g etc. will become commonplace.

This is also why iPod touch and iphone are emerging. Apple is betting rightly on the huge increase in mobile access to the internet with devices that increase the convenience of mobile Internet access... But giving it VALUE by focusing this usage as a conduit for media content. I can't begin to tell you how quickly I have multiplied my mobile Internet usage because of iPhone.

The user interface is a huge key to this as well. It is not only intuitive but just plain cool and that makes it very addictive to want to use multitouch. In fact I frequently use it on my wireless LAN at home as I can lay back comfortably on the couch and surf. I'm on iPhone right now.

mortys11
Sep 8, 2007, 10:30 PM
yes

the handheld wont need any memory, only will be used as an access device to a hub server home or third party

you can already do this with a sling box at home with a treo