PDA

View Full Version : Not with AT&T But might just buy an iPhone!

jordieshapiro
Sep 5, 2007, 05:16 PM
Someone please tell why I shouldn't.

There's the matter of the $100 price difference, but Iphone has a decent camera built in so I could pay a little more for it. Plus getting my hands on ASAP is worth a few bucks too.

Oh wait, do you need to sign a contract to by a $399 iPhone?

JHacker
Sep 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
Someone please tell why I shouldn't.

There's the matter of the $100 price difference, but Iphone has a decent camera built in so I could pay a little more for it. Plus getting my hands on ASAP is worth a few bucks too.

Oh wait, do you need to sign a contract to by a $399 iPhone?

$100 difference and $1700 over two years to have it working. Get the iPod touch.

jordieshapiro
Sep 5, 2007, 05:41 PM
It looks like there are some easy hacks to skirt around signing up with AT&T, and just having a contractless wifi ipod

http://www.myitablet.com/use-your-iphone-as-widescreen-ipod-and-wifi-device-031067.php

JHacker
Sep 5, 2007, 05:45 PM
It looks like there are some easy hacks to skirt around signing up with AT&T, and just having a contractless wifi ipod

http://www.myitablet.com/use-your-iphone-as-widescreen-ipod-and-wifi-device-031067.php

I'd personally rather have a fully functioning device, rather than a crippled one. A camera isn't important to me, I have one on my cellphone. Up to you, but I ordered the iPod touch and can't wait for it.

wwooden
Sep 5, 2007, 07:13 PM
I'd personally rather have a fully functioning device, rather than a crippled one. A camera isn't important to me, I have one on my cellphone. Up to you, but I ordered the iPod touch and can't wait for it.

With the price reduction, I have actually been thinking about getting an iPhone even though we have zero ATT in my area. I figure if I get the iPhone now at it's reduced price, someday when I move or if ATT comes I have the iPhone ready to go. I plan on moving in the new year or so, probably more toward a bigger city where there should be ATT coverage. Now, if I bought the iPod Touch now, then in a year from now when I move and have the option of the iPhone, I will then have two pretty much identical devices.

Also, the iPhone has several extra applications the iPod Touch doesn't have such as a dedicated email app, google maps, notes, weather, camera and bluetooth. I assume I can use all those without a contract. Even without the phone, that is a pretty impressive device.

That is just my thought at the moment.