PDA

View Full Version : How Much Space Will It Take Up On The Ipod Touch?

youashwag
Sep 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
Im thinking about getting the new Ipod Touch but im worried about he storage capacity. I was wondering how much the storage capacity would be on a full season of a tv show which would include 20+ episodes???? plz help me!!!

Gen3tix
Sep 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
Hmm...well when I converted some 25 minute South Park episodes to my iPod, they each came out to around 100-120mb each.

I assume you'll be able to fit a season of 20 epidodes of a tv show. Should only take up 2-3 gigs if they're normal 20-30 minute episodes.

youashwag
Sep 6, 2007, 12:29 AM
reallly ok......

Zwhaler
Sep 6, 2007, 12:52 AM
I put Lost season 1 on my 5.5, and it only took up about 100-200 mbs each episode. So for 24 episodes of 45 minutes each (the last one being an hour and a half) your lookin at 2 and a half gigs.

youashwag
Sep 8, 2007, 10:44 PM
oh ok thats goood to hear!

AppleFan08
Sep 8, 2007, 11:01 PM
nobody really knows! i dont think you can really ask these questions until the damn thing comes out...

jacktiernan
Sep 9, 2007, 07:04 AM
nobody really knows! i dont think you can really ask these questions until the damn thing comes out...

Why wouldn't they know? If we know the ipod is 16gb, and it sounds like an average tv show is about 100mb...... then it's pretty simple maths.

You might want to settle down and think a bit before posting next time mate.
:rolleyes:

netdog
Sep 9, 2007, 07:12 AM
Hour long shows from iTMS seem to be about 400-500MB per episode.

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 07:39 AM
Hour long shows from iTMS seem to be about 400-500MB per episode.

Material converted using iSquint or whatever takes about 175mb an hour. That's using Anime as a basis, though, and so it may be smaller than a live-action piece, which has more complex and constant movement.

BiikeMike
Sep 9, 2007, 10:03 AM
I ripped the first two seasons of House with Handbrake, and each episode is 480-493 MB

swwack91
Sep 9, 2007, 10:07 AM
well i wanted all ten seasons (22 epis each) on my iPod so i worked around space, not quality in HandBrake and got each 45 minute episode into 75 MB.

and it's COMPLETELY watchable quality - even at full screen on my MBP.

Markleshark
Sep 9, 2007, 10:08 AM
I ripped the first two seasons of House with Handbrake, and each episode is 480-493 MB

That much? Wow, my DVD Rips of House are only 600-700meg (Per Episode, of course).

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 10:12 AM
That much? Wow, my DVD Rips of House are only 600-700meg (Per Episode, of course).

A straight rip should be about that size, yeah. Compressed to iPhone native it should be somewhat smaller. I'll give it a shot later and report back.

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 11:05 AM
I ripped to iPhone-size with high bitrate (1.2mbps) h.264 and the episode (Season One, Episode 2, 'Paternity') is 416.5mb. Handbrake defaulted to 970kbps bitrate to begin with, so on standard settings it would be somewhat less. I'm sure if you set lower quality still and put it to 2-pass encoding you could get it down considerably.

Markleshark
Sep 9, 2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for that update, appreciated. Standard settings will be enough for me I would think.

Cheers again, and bring on my touch. :D

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for that update, appreciated. Standard settings will be enough for me I would think.

Cheers again, and bring on my touch. :D

I ran the file through VisualHub on 'WiFi' iPhone settings (moderate quality) and the file came out to 186mb. There's a wee bit of visual compression, but it's pretty satisfactory, and completely watchable.

Markleshark
Sep 9, 2007, 11:25 AM
I ran the file through VisualHub on 'WiFi' iPhone settings (moderate quality) and the file came out to 186mb. There's a wee bit of visual compression, but it's pretty satisfactory, and completely watchable.

Now thats what I'm talking about. Prolly run one through myself now, to see what were looking at, but I'd say that would be enough for me. Only going to be on there for any time I'm traveling, but the more I can fit on with my iTunes Library the better.

Thanks again.

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 11:27 AM
Now thats what I'm talking about. Prolly run one through myself now, to see what were looking at, but I'd say that would be enough for me. Only going to be on there for any time I'm traveling, but the more I can fit on with my iTunes Library the better.

Thanks again.

Agreed. I'd done some testing with anime earlier, but due to the limited motion and palette the files are going to be smaller than anything live action. So it was good to know.

It might actually be even smaller if you use h.264 through VisualHub, but I forgot to check the box. I'll probably do one more pass and post here.

Markleshark
Sep 9, 2007, 11:31 AM
I'm running season 3 Episode 1 though now at h.264 encoding, Wi-Fi iPhone settings. We'll see how that comes out.

All this is doing is making me more excited though. Happy Days. :D

Markleshark
Sep 9, 2007, 11:51 AM
With those settings ^ it came out at 136meg and the quality was good, very watchable, didn't do to well when I stretched it, but that hardly matters. So its going to be under 200 on high quality with h.264 encoding. Looking good.

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 01:44 PM
With those settings ^ it came out at 136meg and the quality was good, very watchable, didn't do to well when I stretched it, but that hardly matters. So its going to be under 200 on high quality with h.264 encoding. Looking good.

Heh. I ran a two-pass h.264 run and it came out to like 357 megs. I'm going to try setting the final size at 175mb and we'll see how it ends up looking.

Markleshark
Sep 9, 2007, 01:45 PM
Mine was just the standard single pass.

For the record, the 'High' quality setting, with single pass h.264 gave me a 220meg file. Kinda hoped it would stay under 200, but not bad.

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 02:07 PM
Mine was just the standard single pass.

For the record, the 'High' quality setting, with single pass h.264 gave me a 220meg file. Kinda hoped it would stay under 200, but not bad.

In VisualHub (not sure about iSquint) you can just set a target size for the file and it'll do everything else for you. That seemed to work pretty well.

But I think the general point here is that you can fit a few seasons of TV on an iPod touch without too much hassle. This myth is busted.

Markleshark
Sep 9, 2007, 02:11 PM
Cool. Shouldn't see too much of a quality jump from 220 to 200 then.

But yeah, on the evidence of House, well busted. :D

ds252
Sep 9, 2007, 02:28 PM
I've got seinfeld all episodes seaons 1-7 at around 85 Mb an episode.

buffalo
Sep 9, 2007, 03:43 PM
I ordered myself an iPod touch but don't have a lot of video content for it. Is it alright to rip DVDs that you own onto the computer and iPods? How laborious is the process?

gloss
Sep 9, 2007, 03:53 PM
I ordered myself an iPod touch but don't have a lot of video content for it. Is it alright to rip DVDs that you own onto the computer and iPods? How laborious is the process?

I don't think it's technically legal but I'm not sure who the hell would punish you for it.

It can be done easily with Handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/).

BiikeMike
Sep 9, 2007, 04:18 PM

I don't understand your comment. You seem like you are saying mine are big, but... yours are bigger :confused:

astrostu
Sep 9, 2007, 04:34 PM
It completely depends upon the number of pixels and the bit rate. I've been ripping some of my DVD movies where the maximum dimension is either 480 px wide or 320 px tall (depending upon the size of the movie with the black borders cropped off). I've been ripping them with HandBrake with an average bit rate set at 450 kbps (I looked at it vs. 900 kbps and there was hardly a noticeable difference at all).

With that, I did one movie that's 105 minutes long and it came out at 450 MB, and I did another that's 150 minutes long and it came out at 650 MB. I haven't ripped TV episodes from DVD yet, but based upon the movie time and size it should come out at ~195 MB for a 45-minute episode or ~85 MB for a 20-minute episode.

youashwag
Sep 9, 2007, 07:05 PM
ok im talking about if u would download seasons from iTines only how mush sapce that is approximately?

hatcher146
Sep 9, 2007, 07:23 PM
ok im new to all of this.

i have lost season 3 on iTunes that I purchased. it has 24 episodes and it says it comes out to a total of 11 gigs(roughly)....and about 450 mb per episode. will this be the same amount when putting on my iPod or smaller?.. and people on here are saying they can make it to 100-200 mb per episode. how do i go about doing this and will everything be fine when putting it back on iTunes then downloading to an iphone or iPod?

any help would be great. thanks.

astrostu
Sep 9, 2007, 07:27 PM
i have lost season 3 on iTunes that I purchased. it has 24 episodes and it says it comes out to a total of 11 gigs(roughly)....and about 450 mb per episode. will this be the same amount when putting on my iPod or smaller?

It will be that size when it goes on the iPod.

and people on here are saying they can make it to 100-200 mb per episode. how do i go about doing this and will everything be fine when putting it back on iTunes then downloading to an iphone or iPod?

You would need to use a program to re-encode the file at a smaller size (pixel size) and/or a lower bitrate. I believe iTunes can do this (dunno since I haven't tried), or applications like VisualHub or ffmpeg. Perhaps other people can give you more specific advice.

PygmySurfer
Sep 9, 2007, 07:36 PM
ok im new to all of this.

i have lost season 3 on iTunes that I purchased. it has 24 episodes and it says it comes out to a total of 11 gigs(roughly)....and about 450 mb per episode. will this be the same amount when putting on my iPod or smaller?.. and people on here are saying they can make it to 100-200 mb per episode. how do i go about doing this and will everything be fine when putting it back on iTunes then downloading to an iphone or iPod?

any help would be great. thanks.

It'd be the same size on your iPod. If you re-compress them, you could get it down to 100-200mb per episode. If you were to go this route, I'd recommend keeping separate copies for the iPod and for your computer. VisualHub or HandBrake should allow you to re-compress them.

hatcher146
Sep 9, 2007, 07:52 PM
It'd be the same size on your iPod. If you re-compress them, you could get it down to 100-200mb per episode. If you were to go this route, I'd recommend keeping separate copies for the iPod and for your computer. VisualHub or HandBrake should allow you to re-compress them.

thanks for the info!
how will i go about copying them(keeping them seperate?)

PygmySurfer
Sep 9, 2007, 11:23 PM
thanks for the info!
how will i go about copying them(keeping them seperate?)

When you feed them into VisualHub or HandBrake (I'm not sure HandBrake is an ideal solution to this), it should make a copy, rather than over-writing the original.

I'm not sure how you'd manage them in iTunes though, unless you gave them names to identify which was the original, and which was the smaller iPod-specific copy.

madmaxmedia
Sep 10, 2007, 12:06 AM
I use similar settings-

1-pass H.264, 480 x 320 (or less depending on aspect ratio), 500 kbps video, 128 kbps audio. The picture quality is quite nice IMO, and movies come out to 500 or 600 MB a pop.

I have read that with H.264 using 2-pass does not give huge increase in quality over single-pass, so you may as well save the time and do single pass.

It completely depends upon the number of pixels and the bit rate. I've been ripping some of my DVD movies where the maximum dimension is either 480 px wide or 320 px tall (depending upon the size of the movie with the black borders cropped off). I've been ripping them with HandBrake with an average bit rate set at 450 kbps (I looked at it vs. 900 kbps and there was hardly a noticeable difference at all).

With that, I did one movie that's 105 minutes long and it came out at 450 MB, and I did another that's 150 minutes long and it came out at 650 MB. I haven't ripped TV episodes from DVD yet, but based upon the movie time and size it should come out at ~195 MB for a 45-minute episode or ~85 MB for a 20-minute episode.

Markleshark
Sep 10, 2007, 01:32 AM
I don't understand your comment. You seem like you are saying mine are big, but... yours are bigger :confused:

I meant my actual DVD rips that I watch on my TV, not for the iPod.

gloss
Sep 13, 2007, 04:31 PM
Just for the record, here's a comparison of a couple of rips I did.

The first screens are from an x264 direct-from-DVD iPhone-sized rip, and the file weighs in at about 400mb. The latter screens are from a re-encoded 200mb version of the same file. Noticeable loss in fine detail, but watchable.

clevin
Sep 13, 2007, 04:41 PM
Just for the record, here's a comparison of a couple of rips I did.

The first screens are from an x264 direct-from-DVD iPhone-sized rip, and the file weighs in at about 400mb. The latter screens are from a re-encoded 200mb version of the same file. Noticeable loss in fine detail, but watchable.

unless I want to watch the same file on computer or tv, I wouldn't care the quality loss, its a small screen on iPod Touch anyway.