Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hi does anyone know how much difference there would be in transferring files from the new ipod and a 5400RPM 160Gb 2.5" external drive?

I have been thinking about purchasing an exteral drive for a while and with the increased IPOD size I may just upgrade my ipod instead.

It says the current model has Hard Drive: 30/60 GB 4200 RPM (ATA-66)

Would there be a noticable difference. I need to transfer files approx 500Mb at a time.

Thanks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The iPod should be a lot slower...

1) It's only 4200 RPM

2) It's only 1.8" diameter, so it's also reading less circumference on each of those revoutions.

3) It's ATA66, and I don't think it has a very large cache.

4) The aforementioned USB issue, if getting the external drive in FW is at all possible... USB is much slower than firewire at sustained transfers. When you transfer a filesize of 500MB, there may be a factor of two or more difference in time between FW400 and USB2. It's substantial enough that initial loading of a USB iPod is surprisingly slow having come from a Firewire iPod of several years ago.

So all in all, slow.

But just to play devil's advocate, if you're transferring around 500MB, an external drive of any kind is a lot of bother. Why not a $20 USB flash drive? It's very slow also, but... much simpler. No cables, etc. Or do you mean that you have many gigabytes of 500MB files you need to transfer?

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
The iPod should be a lot slower...

But just to play devil's advocate, if you're transferring around 500MB, an external drive of any kind is a lot of bother. Why not a $20 USB flash drive? It's very slow also, but... much simpler. No cables, etc. Or do you mean that you have many gigabytes of 500MB files you need to transfer?

I'm transferring multiple files of around 500Mb... Im a tutor and have 60 500Mb assignments to mark in Pro Tools, hence needing to read off a HDD rather than CD :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm transferring multiple files of around 500Mb... Im a tutor and have 60 500Mb assignments to mark in Pro Tools, hence needing to read off a HDD rather than CD :)

There would be a large overall difference between 30 gigs in that fashion over Firewire to a fast 2.5" drive and over USB to an iPod... if I shot out guesses, I'd guess it would take about 10-15 minutes or even less to transfer that to the external drive and 30-40 for the iPod.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004

You don't want to read protools projects off your ipod. I'm not even sure it would let you. Get a solid FW external drive and a case for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.