PDA

View Full Version : Encloure design - Question about die cuts

ChicoWeb
Sep 5, 2007, 07:23 PM
Hi fellow designers,

Let me briefly explain what my issue is. I've designed a 6 inch by 6 inch gift certificate insert, which I'm now designing the enclosure for. My client would like the enclosure to wrap into itself, with all four corners and a die cut. The thing is, I'm not sure how I should logistically create the die cuts (marks) for the four or two flaps. Any suggestions?

decksnap
Sep 5, 2007, 08:16 PM
Could you be clearer about which part you need help on?

ChicoWeb
Sep 5, 2007, 08:46 PM
Could you be clearer about which part you need help on?

Sure. The four flaps will fold over the enclosure and meet int the middle.

1.) What is the appropriate way to inter-fold 4 flaps with a die cut. All four flaps will overlap one another and the insert will go inside.

2.) How do I draw them for the print shop.

That work?

ChicoWeb
Sep 6, 2007, 04:01 PM
Does anyone have any experience with printing and die cuts? Any information about the subject would be appreciated.

Consultant
Sep 6, 2007, 05:01 PM
Does anyone have any experience with printing and die cuts? Any information about the subject would be appreciated.

You need to draw it with vectors, and put fold lines (called Guides in photoshop, but you shouldn't use photoshop for this), you also need crop lines. Ask the print shop for suggestions or just google it.

ChicoWeb
Sep 6, 2007, 05:39 PM
You need to draw it with vectors, and put fold lines (called Guides in photoshop, but you shouldn't use photoshop for this), you also need crop lines. Ask the print shop for suggestions or just google it.

Yah, that's not the issue. The issue is WHERE to put them on a four flap over fold.

morphe
Sep 7, 2007, 08:22 AM
What's your illustrator version? I did something for ya :cool:

morphe
Sep 7, 2007, 08:29 AM
Here, try and fold the dotted lines and then cut using the crop marks.
The best way is to print and try!
Also to make sure that everything is as wanted.

I saw some errors:
-wrong document size
-flaps would not fold properly

What i usually do, is a layer with the design(don't forget you bleed!) and then I do a layer and do the marks. You gotta make sure with the printer/cutter/folder what they want as a final, also make sure that they know what to do with the document.

cheers

ChicoWeb
Sep 7, 2007, 09:14 AM
Here, try and fold the dotted lines and then cut using the crop marks.
The best way is to print and try!
Also to make sure that everything is as wanted.

I saw some errors:
-wrong document size
-flaps would not fold properly

What i usually do, is a layer with the design(don't forget you bleed!) and then I do a layer and do the marks. You gotta make sure with the printer/cutter/folder what they want as a final, also make sure that they know what to do with the document.

cheers

Right on. I'm on my couch surfer but once I get in the office I'll check it all out. BTW, using CS3. Thanks for the help!

ChicoWeb
Sep 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
Well the file sure looks nice!

I guess I should be more clear though. The outer flaps should overlap one another, which is what I created my initial file that way. I set the document window that large because the insert is separately designed, what I'm designing is the enclosure.

The one you made makes a perfect square if you fold it in, which won't lend to overlapping, or using the flaps with die cuts to fold into one another.

I hope you can still help me out because still seems like we are on the right track

:)

antoneoh
Sep 8, 2007, 12:23 AM
I think I might have a solution for you. You should add slits so the flaps can go into each other and I knocked out some corners which will help with the folding. I've attached an example.

I do prepress at a print shop, so I have experience with die cuts, scoring, and perforating.