PDA

View Full Version : Any hardware gurus? Powerbook screen not working...

Macette
Aug 14, 2003, 12:03 AM
Well that's actually a bit of an overstatement: the problem is actually that about one in every ten times I turn on the Powerbook (500mhz G4), the screen doesn't come on. I can hear the startup chime and then it makes 'starting up' noises - but the screen is totally blank. No light, no image.

It's a second-hand machine with a three month hardware warranty, and I just took it back because of this problem, they replaced the logic board and it tested okay, but now it's happening again.

Bad RAM maybe? It's original Apple RAM, but you know...

Any helpful suggestions? I'm slightly worried...

szark
Aug 14, 2003, 12:15 AM
I'm just guessing, but it sounds like a possible damaged connection between the screen and motherboard.

Have you tried an external monitor to see if it works consistently?

Macette
Aug 14, 2003, 12:41 AM
That's a great idea - I'll definitely give that a shot, and let you know how I go.

TEG
Aug 14, 2003, 01:15 AM
I had a similar proble, and they ended up having to replace the screan and the Logic board.

TEG

bousozoku
Aug 14, 2003, 12:45 PM
Have you tried turning it upside down and shaking it? :D

I would say that it's probably a loose connection and definitely not RAM.

I had inconsistent problems with a machine after transporting it from the computer store. Lifting it an inch off the desk and dropping it re-seated the chips and fixed the problem. I don't think that will work for you, though.

Macette
Aug 14, 2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Have you tried turning it upside down and shaking it? :D

I would say that it's probably a loose connection and definitely not RAM.

You know what? I actually did, and it seems to have worked somewhat - not a problem since. Of course, it's a laptop, so it's not really good enough for it to be shaky when I move it around, but it's something. Not such a stupid tip...

shadowfax
Aug 14, 2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Have you tried turning it upside down and shaking it? :D that really is sage advice. it works for small children, at least some of the time, and they are much more complicated than powerbooks....

simX
Aug 14, 2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax
that really is sage advice. it works for small children, at least some of the time, and they are much more complicated than powerbooks....

Haha! Let's hope you never become a parent, shadowfax. ;)

bousozoku
Aug 14, 2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Macette
You know what? I actually did, and it seems to have worked somewhat - not a problem since. Of course, it's a laptop, so it's not really good enough for it to be shaky when I move it around, but it's something. Not such a stupid tip...

Well, I was referring to this other laptop device: http://www.etch-a-sketch.com/

That's the only method to re-boot it.

I hope things work out. :)

Macette
Aug 14, 2003, 07:19 PM
Well here's the cool thing:

The reseller who sold it to me just rang and said since it's causing me trouble, he'll swap it (actually he'll even give me some money back on it) for a G4 667 with Combo drive and a 40GB HD - an ex-demo model from Apple which will be eligible for AppleCare! How cool is that? So I'm getting a refund, an upgrade, and Applecare. My current model is just a G4 500 with DVD drive and 20GB drive.

So the problem is now officially somebody else's!

bousozoku
Aug 14, 2003, 10:10 PM
That is excellent! I'm happy for you and hope that you don't have problems with the other machine.