PDA

View Full Version : Official iPhone Refund Policy Tomorrow?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Sep 5, 2007, 08:39 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple's unexpected $200 iPhone price drop caught many of the iPhone's early adopters off guard and has generated a lot of animosity across ours (http://forums.macrumors.com) and Apple's (http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1139) forums.

Those of you who have bought an iPhone in the past 14 days are eligible (http://gigaom.com/2007/09/05/how-to-get-200-back-if-you-just-got-an-iphone/) for a price protection guarantee... but if you bought before then, you may be out of luck.... or are you?

According to Veronica Belmont (http://www.veronicabelmont.com/2007/09/want-your-200-back/), she was told by a friend that they were able to get a $200 refund from his local Apple Store despite purchasing his iPhone 2 months ago. This was, of course, after spending an hour on the phone.

Of interest, he was also warned and that as of tomorrow there would be an official policy in place regarding iPhone refunds... which sounds like they'll lock down the 14 day refund policy, so if you want a refund -- now's the time.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/05/official-iphone-refund-policy-tomorrow/)

nismo
Sep 5, 2007, 08:47 PM
hopefully this will make a lot of people happy if they refund everybody.

jt2ga65
Sep 5, 2007, 08:50 PM
At this point, I would be surprised if it was not a big middle finger at the early adopters. Hey, I'm still willing to be converted to an Apple fan again, but I'm stinging at the extra $100 a month for the iPhone.

-jt2

rikers_mailbox
Sep 5, 2007, 08:50 PM
yes please! I'm feeling a bit burned by Apple. Is this how you treat devoted follo... err, i mean ... loyal customers?

coolbreeze
Sep 5, 2007, 08:51 PM
Um, they are not going to refund everyone who bought on launch day, weeks ago, etc. If any, maybe those within the 14 return window, since they could just return/rebuy/cause a stink if Apple doesn't accept a return.

If AAPL refunded everyone's money, that would set a dangerous precedent. Any time a price falls on a product, there will be mobs of people saying "well I paid $400 last month and now it's cheaper, etc." No way Apple will open this can of worms.

rikers_mailbox
Sep 5, 2007, 08:58 PM
If AAPL refunded everyone's money, that would set a dangerous precedent. Any time a price falls on a product, there will be mobs of people saying "well I paid $400 last month and now it's cheaper, etc." No way Apple will open this can of worms.

Actually, it wouldn't hurt AAPL's bottom line (I assume you were referring to stock price). Don't forget that iPhone sales are recognized under subscription accounting on a straight-line basis over a 24-month period. A price refund would NOT negatively impact past earnings, only future.

aerospace
Sep 5, 2007, 09:04 PM
you do realize that refunding 1million phones for 200 each is 200 million dollars

apple may be nice but for 200million they should just let people be mad a couple of days

Bjerre
Sep 5, 2007, 09:05 PM
Maybe Mike Tyson will be $200 richer leaving him only in $9,999,800 debt.:D

technicolor
Sep 5, 2007, 09:11 PM
Hmm this is interesting.

longofest
Sep 5, 2007, 09:18 PM
If AAPL refunded everyone's money, that would set a dangerous precedent.

The precedent has already been set (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/04/12/aperture-1-1-universal-update-and-200-price-drop/).

you do realize that refunding 1million phones for 200 each is 200 million dollars

apple may be nice but for 200million they should just let people be mad a couple of days

Personally, I don't think Apple needs to refund the entire $200 per iPhone. $100 would go a long way to soothing people. Assuming they go with $100, if they do what they did with Aperture and they give the "refunds" as Apple Store gift certificates, the bottom line would be less than a $100 million loss, because Apple would be making money on the purchases bought on the gift certificate.

Either way, it may be a necessary cost for Apple to take, given the reaction people are having. In the end, Apple's profits are extremely high on this product, and they will still make a ton of money. $100 million or there abouts may seem like a lot, but they are probably going to make close to if not over $1 billion this quarter.

hard-case
Sep 5, 2007, 09:18 PM
Well, if you read the actuall post from Veronica Belmont, it sound like the 'policy' will be nothing more than a restatement of the 14 day price policy, or at the very, very most a codifying of the 'August 1st/4th or later' as has been floating around the forums.

C'est la vie!

OneTraveler
Sep 5, 2007, 09:20 PM
Come on people! We all KNEW there was going to be a price drop at some time. When you want the latest and greatest, you are going to get burned on the price. That's just the way it goes. Pay more and enjoy it now, or wait and save a few bucks later. I wanted it sooner. $200 drop? Meh, I've enjoyed it $200 worth. If you are upset over it, maybe have some restraint on your purchases next time.

millerrh
Sep 5, 2007, 09:26 PM
The precedent has been set with what they did with Aperture. I sure hope they do this. Even if it is $100 it would show they care about their early adopters and the people who probably care the most about Apple.

corywoolf
Sep 5, 2007, 09:27 PM
So glad I waited it out on getting a new iPod. I like the line up, but they really should have had a 160 GB touch iPod option. Nobody is going to buy the classic iPod, it will be fazed out in the next six months. Even with better storage capacity, nobody wants the body of an old iPod. The touch is the equivalent of the iPod Photo, in that Apple will drop the touch name and make it replace the classic iPod for good.

Come on people! We all KNEW there was going to be a price drop at some time. When you want the latest and greatest, you are going to get burned on the price. That's just the way it goes. Pay more and enjoy it now, or wait and save a few bucks later. I wanted it sooner. $200 drop? Meh, I've enjoyed it $200 worth. If you are upset over it, maybe have some restraint on your purchases next time.

Good point. I totally agree. I have a first gen. MBP that I am still very happy with, even though Apple made a double-layer dvd burner and FW800 standard just months later on the 15".

nospleen
Sep 5, 2007, 09:32 PM
We will wait and see, but man, that would be a lot of money to credit...

ephix
At this point, I would be surprised if it was not a big middle finger at the early adopters. Hey, I'm still willing to be converted to an Apple fan again, but I'm stinging at the extra $100 a month for the iPhone.

-jt2

what does that $100 extra a month have anything to do with the price drop?

derivativemusic
A price refund would NOT negatively impact past earnings, only future.

However, reducing the price $200 has already affected the stock price. It's very weird, because it looks like desperation. And it looks like there's nothing new coming before next year, i.e. they have nothing new to sell for Christmas.

GravityEyes
Sep 5, 2007, 09:42 PM
Straight from Steve's mouth
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2007-09-05-jobs-qanda_N.htm

OUCH - that hurts!

pcorajr
Sep 5, 2007, 09:47 PM
I'm sorry but I'm a bit frustrated about the attitude people have specially with technology.

Did anybody hold a gun to your head and tell you to buy an iPhone? No you went out on your freewill and purchased it for what ever reason. This is the nature of technology you do not see people running around crying when Intel and AMD do the same.

You have 14 days after purchase to return the product. if you are withing that time frame then do so. you will still save money after the restock fee. Turn around and purchase at the new price.

In the end nobody is to blame. Nobody force you to purchase the phone at the 600 dollar price. And anybody that is into technology should know that prices change very fast. whats out today is ancient technology what out tomorrow is old technology whats out next week is new technology.

I have a method for everything i purchase specially technology related items.

I purchase Video consoles only after the first price cut or one year after it is release. In this case i purchased my PS3 recently and im waiting for the wii to reach itss first year or price cut wich ever comes first.

Computers parts i purchase 3 month after they are released. same as computer systems.

This allows for bugs to be worked out and for prices to come down. I still enjoy the products as if it they had been purchased on the day they where released.

Lancetx

OUCH - that hurts!

Indeed. Shows what Steve really thinks of his best customers I'd say.

CatharticFlux

OUCH - that hurts!

That was pretty rough... Stevebo usually isn't quite THIS candid. Where's the kool-aid?

shrimpdesign
Sep 5, 2007, 09:48 PM
However, reducing the price $200 has already affected the stock price. It's very weird, because it looks like desperation. And it looks like there's nothing new coming before next year, i.e. they have nothing new to sell for Christmas.

Whey have tons of news stuff! iPod Classic, Nano and Touch. Companies always release their holiday stuff in the fall, not the winter. No more iPhone/iPod updates until 2008. Although I expect a major iPhone update with Leopard, note syncing, to-do list syncing, RSS (maybe?).

The iPhone price was high in June/July/August because demand was high. Demand for a $500+ iPhone has leveled out, and Apple's reinvigorating it. Supply and demand.

P.S. I got a $500 4GB iPhone. I'm happy with it. It was worth $500, and still is.

matticus008
Sep 5, 2007, 09:48 PM
Suck it up. You made a purchase on a depreciating asset in an industry with a steep price curve. If it wasn't worth the asking price, you would not have made the purchase in the first place; there's no excuse for choosing to enter into a purchase you don't find reasonable. Early adopters pay a hefty premium. It's the way the world works, and it's the way the world should work. People who want it the most get the opportunity to have it. They knew they'd have a limited supply. Launching at $399 wouldn't have made sense. They'd have been overrun, and that would be the complaint.

The Razr was $500 at release and they've been handing them out for free for months now. It rapidly dropped to $200 within a few months. My phone was $799 retail at release. It's now $249 retail.

If you really learned this lesson the hard way, welcome to the big kids world. "Punish" Apple with your departure as a customer (as if it matters), but you'll run out of companies to do business with in no time flat.

mduser63
Sep 5, 2007, 09:50 PM

OUCH - that hurts!

Yeah, I like the part about him buying Bob Dylan music on iTunes even though he already has it on CD because he's "too lazy to rip it". I guess you can afford to be that lazy when you are a billionaire. $200 probably doesn't seem like so much to him either :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I don't really care about the iPhone price drop too much. I'd love to get even a $50 gift card from Apple or something, but I've really enjoyed my iPhone the last 2 months and I'm still 100% pleased with it.

(If Apple does decide to do a repeat of the Aperture price drop and refund $200 in the form of a gift card, I'll put it towards a 80 GB iPod classic to replace my 30 GB 5G iPod.)

shrimpdesign
Sep 5, 2007, 09:51 PM

OUCH - that hurts!

Painful but true. Technology moves fast, sometimes faster than you expect. People shouldn't have gotten an iPhone unless they thought it was worth it the money they paid for it.

bretm
Sep 5, 2007, 09:52 PM
So glad I waited it out on getting a new iPod. I like the line up, but they really should have had a 160 GB touch iPod option. Nobody is going to buy the classic iPod, it will be fazed out in the next six months. Even with better storage capacity, nobody wants the body of an old iPod. The touch is the equivalent of the iPod Photo, in that Apple will drop the touch name and make it replace the classic iPod for good.

Good point. I totally agree. I have a first gen. MBP that I am still very happy with, even though Apple made a double-layer dvd burner and FW800 standard just months later on the 15".

Well, I sure as hell wouldn't buy any of their new products now, considering they'll lower the price 33% in 2 months. Especially if they sell well. What the f kind of thinking is that?

And yes, we knew they'd drop the price... when the next phone came out. More features, lower price. That's sort of the norm with tech gear. And maybe a small reduction in price after 6 months or a year of good sales to pay for R&D. 2 months of sales? It's bad PR, and fixing that bad PR with refunds will be good PR. Well worth the cost, especially if they refund with Apple store cash.

The only time I can recall Apple doing ANYTHING like this (dropping a price so quickly) was Aperture. And I was quite impressed with how they handled it.

pcorajr
Sep 5, 2007, 09:53 PM
A: That's technology. If they bought it this morning, they should go back to where they bought it and talk to them. If they bought it a month ago, well, that's what happens in technology

That sums up everything in technology people should know this by now. This is how fast technology moves. Only the technologically greedy are the ones affected by this. Loyal fans are those who purchase the product because of the quality and established history. You pay a premium to be the first one to have it.

technicolor
Sep 5, 2007, 09:54 PM
If the technology had actually changed you would have a valid argument.

pcorajr
Sep 5, 2007, 09:59 PM

technology did change my friend not for you but for apple production. Better methods of production and advances in the technology used to produce the devices means that apple is now able to produce at a lower cost, passing the savings to the user. Technology advances bring down prices.

technicolor
Sep 5, 2007, 10:03 PM
technology did change my friend not for you but for apple production. Better methods of production and advances in the technology used to produce the devices means that apple is now able to produce at a lower cost, passing the savings to the user. Technology advances bring down prices.I see what you are saying, but I do not believe that is what happened in this case.

CommandQ
Sep 5, 2007, 10:03 PM
To everyone saying they were "ripped off". It's simple economics in play here. Apple released a product and set the price point at what they thought reasonable at the time. People then willing to pay that price (and some even higher) then bought the phone as early adopters. At a later date Apple, as with any company, reevaluated its price point to meet current and future goals. They offer a reasonable amount of time for recent purchases to be price adjusted, something that is in no way required of any company(nor is accepting returns BTW). So how are you being ripped off? Does the fact that the device now sells for a lower price somehow devalue youre original perception of it? It was worth $599 to you a up until today right? ;) Just enjoy the phone. Oh and for the record, I bought 2 on launch day.

bretm
Sep 5, 2007, 10:07 PM
technology did change my friend not for you but for apple production. Better methods of production and advances in the technology used to produce the devices means that apple is now able to produce at a lower cost, passing the savings to the user. Technology advances bring down prices.

Funny, Jobs didn't say anything like that. He basically said, "we're doing ok on the profits, so we'd like to sell more." He was specifically asked if production came down and he didn't answer the question. In other words, it didn't. They're still selling the first or second production run. These things haven't come down in manufacturing costs.

Any yes, we all know that's how technology goes. Right? Well, in other sectors yes. But I can't remember a single time Apple has pulled a stunt like this. Apple charges a premium and it's expected. So early adopters feel safe that they're not going to be screwed.

What does the Apple laptop cost? Same it did when it came out. In fact, Apple hardly EVER drops prices on current products. They upped the specs, more RAM, more HD, etc. but they don't lower prices. Maybe $50 on a $1200 laptop or something. But don't you think it would be un applelike to release the laptop for 1099 and change the price 2 months later to $750?

You won't be seeing Lexus lowering their 60k SUV to 40k 2 months after it's launch either.

aristobrat
Sep 5, 2007, 10:09 PM
Suck it up. You made a purchase on a depreciating asset in an industry with a steep price curve.
Apple products don't typically get a 30% price cut 2 months after launch. For the last 3 years I've been buying 15" notebooks from Apple, they've always had a base model at $1999. New one comes out a few months later with better specs, my model depreciates, but the price of the new model remains the same.

Pretty much the same deal with iPods. They've adjusted some of the price points around over the years, but again, I don't recall any price drops 2 months after launch, and none that were 30% in one drop.

I think this is how a lot of folks expected the iPhone pricing to work.

kcroy
Sep 5, 2007, 10:10 PM
I also bought two on the launch day and I knew the price would come down. What can I say? I really wanted one. My frugal side told me to wait, but the techno-got-to-have-it side said "BUY TWO!"

I don't regret the decision and I don't expect a refund.

This has happened to me before with Apple products.

I can understand people being ticked off, but I think we all knew prices were going to come down. I admit, I didn't think there would be a drop this dramtic so soon, but I have really enjoyed the phone.\

technicolor
Sep 5, 2007, 10:17 PM
I dont think most of us expect a refund. I do thinks its unreasonable to act as if we cant feel a little stung by the whole thing. Geesh:rolleyes:

kellen
Sep 5, 2007, 10:30 PM
I also bought two on the launch day and I knew the price would come down. What can I say? I really wanted one. My frugal side told me to wait, but the techno-got-to-have-it side said "BUY TWO!"

I don't regret the decision and I don't expect a refund.

This has happened to me before with Apple products.

I can understand people being ticked off, but I think we all knew prices were going to come down. I admit, I didn't think there would be a drop this dramtic so soon, but I have really enjoyed the phone.\

Sorry, but which apple products have you bought that fit this criteria? Two months later they don't change anything and drop the price by 33%.

Aperture? People were given a rebate. I may be wrong, just want to know the products.

kellen
Sep 5, 2007, 10:31 PM
I dont think most of us expect a refund. I do thinks its unreasonable to act as if we cant feel a little stung by the whole thing. Geesh:rolleyes:

That sums up my feelings. I don't feel entitled to one, but if they want to offer one, you bet I will stand in line for one (already got my refund).

findpankaj
Sep 5, 2007, 10:47 PM

I agree with you...welcome to apple torture cell. I was thinking day and night about iPhone and finally thought of buying a 500 dollar sony ericsson P1i. But now I am buying my brand new iPhone - 4 GB.....for me apple rocks...saved me serious 200 dollars

Daiden
Sep 5, 2007, 10:51 PM

Yep, that's where I am right now. I called up Apple and spoke to a very nice guy who listened to what I had to say and said that he knew how it felt since he had bought one a few months ago too. I mentioned that I just wanted to voice my disappointment with the decision to reduce the price so soon, but I can totally see why they did it. At the end of the conversation, we both agreed that it sucked, and when I hung up the phone I felt better. It's funny how a little customer service can go a long way.

shrimpdesign
Sep 5, 2007, 10:53 PM
For the last 3 years I've been buying 15" notebooks from Apple, they've always had a base model at $1999. New one comes out a few months later with better specs, my model depreciates, but the price of the new model remains the same.

Not a very fair comparison. The 15" Apple notebook (be it PowerBook or MBP) is an established product. A more valid comparison would be the first 15" notebook compared to the replacement model.

Not saying I agree with you, it's just your comparison makes no sense.

I remember getting an Intel iMac when they first came out. 6 months later, it was replaced and I could've gotten a 20". 6 months, 2 months. Mobile computing moves much faster than desktop computing, especially phones.

I got a 4GB iPhone 30 days ago. If I just waited a measly 16 days, I could be $200 richer. If Apple wants to give me something for it, great, if not, the iPhone was and is still worth the $500 I paid.

chongkwang
Sep 5, 2007, 10:56 PM
I have been paying $100 a year for .mac as a fund raiser for apple because they have been a great company in my mind (I mean really, who needs a $100 email account). I have praised their products to everyone as if they were family and whatever benefits the family benefits me. If they dont do the right thing and refund all iphone buyers I think they will be loosing a lot more than $200. I, for one, will not have the trust in this company I once had, and certainly will quit praising them, I will forever think before purchasing apple unlike now I just buy it because I want apple to succeed. I will recoup my $200 in 2 years with the .mac savings (which will cost apple $100 a year in lost revenue after that 2 years) but apple will never regain my trust and unfailing praise. This seems to be a crossroads in apples loyal following and reputation....what road will they take?

Anonymous Freak
Sep 5, 2007, 11:01 PM
Just got back from trying to complain my way into free stuff or money.

Apple Store Bridgeport Village in Tigard (Portland) Oregon.

Had a manager and three more employees right at the front door, as soon as they saw me with my iPhone box, and a receipt, I heard one comment to another (not quiet enough, I have excellent hearing,) "Another refunder." The manager's first words were "Did you buy it in the last 14 days?"

There was no arguing. One of the other employees took over denials after a minute, when the manager was 'called away'. He said that even he was in the same boat. Only employees for over a year got free iPhones, so he bought his retail, and is in the same boat.

I played it hard. Talked about how I felt like I had just paid $200 for the honor of being Apple's beta tester, how the phone was horribly unstable until the most recent software update, how two of my hardware accessories had already failed (USB power brick and headphones.) I wasn't playing it light. I was trying to make a scene. (I'm good at that when I have to.) Not even so much as a $15 iTunes Gift Card could be talked out of them.

Oh well. I wasn't actually expecting anything, but for $200, I had to try. (I'm not anywhere near as angry about it as I presented to them, I am a little miffed though.) Either way, it was good stress relief.

Daiden
Sep 5, 2007, 11:02 PM
bought one 8gb on ilaunch and just called the 800 number. Got 150 credit at apple.com.

Customer service department is closed... Tech guys are the only people there and they can't give you a credit for anything.

Lancetx
Sep 5, 2007, 11:03 PM
Well, I sure as hell wouldn't buy any of their new products now, considering they'll lower the price 33% in 2 months. Especially if they sell well. What the f kind of thinking is that?

I couldn't agree more. Since this is evidently Apple's new way of doing business, I'm definitely going to hold off on getting that new iMac until October, as it's now apparently obvious that it'll be 33% less by then. After all, like Steve himself said, "That's what happens in technology." :rolleyes:

DTphonehome
Sep 5, 2007, 11:07 PM
The precedent has already been set (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/04/12/aperture-1-1-universal-update-and-200-price-drop/).

Not really a great comparison...Aperture was widely considered a debacle and not worth the high asking price when first released. The iPhone is and was considered an amazing piece of tech.

I completely understand Apple's reasoning for doing this...they want to simply blow the competition out of the water over the holidays by selling shiploads of these, and announce that they beat sales estimates. What would be a preferable move on Apple's part? Keep the price high and sales lower, simply to satisfy those who bought early? That's a bad business move. They have to do whatever they need to do in order to move these things.

And as a stockholder, I would be pissed if they gave out $200 mil in refunds (but definitely less pissed if they gave it out as Apple store credit).

rapps
Sep 5, 2007, 11:07 PM
Customer service department is closed... Tech guys are the only people there and they can't give you a credit for anything.

then a magical being gave me my credit....this was around 9pm.

filman408
Sep 5, 2007, 11:08 PM
I couldn't agree more. Since this is evidently Apple's new way of doing business, I'm definitely going to hold off on getting that new iMac until October, as it's now apparently obvious that it'll be 33% less by then. After all, like Steve himself said, "That's what happens in technology." :rolleyes:

With Steves quote in mind, they should dock the Mac Pro 40-50%.

DTphonehome
Sep 5, 2007, 11:10 PM
I have been paying $100 a year for .mac as a fund raiser for apple because they have been a great company in my mind...

Are you kidding me??? There are sick and starving people in this world, and you go and "donate" money to Apple? Geez...I'm a shareholder and benefit (in an immmeasurably tiny amount) from your largesse, but for God's sake, direct it where it's needed!

morphineseason
Sep 5, 2007, 11:12 PM
This has just been blown way out of proportion. Maybe all you crybabies should ask the numerous PC owners that buy a Windows PC how they feel when they take a huge loss on it as soon as they walk out the door of the retailer they purchased it from. This is the telephone business you're dealing with now. Apple's hardware has maintained pretty great resale value in the past, but this is the first time Apple has released a phone, and it's going to be a different story folks.

The iPhone WILL eventually be a "freebie" that's given away with a contract...if you don't think it will, then you're completely oblivious. It's better that it went down in price now, because just like Steve said, it will put pressure on the competition for the holiday season.

If you were real Apple supporters you'd like to see the company gain exposure. The phone was already fairly overpriced when comparing its features to other similar phones (whether it has a pretty interface or not). It was a good business move - it may not have satisfied the fanbois that camped out, but that's just too bad.

Apple owes you nothing. You put your money on a brand new, first gen product, you risked sudden price drops and possibly even faulty hardware problems (be thankful it wasn't the latter, at least for the most of you), and even Steve Jobs himself doesn't cares if you camped out, SO YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY, SIR!

shrimpdesign
Sep 5, 2007, 11:13 PM
Just got back from trying to complain my way into free stuff or money.

Apple Store Bridgeport Village in Tigard (Portland) Oregon.

I wasn't actually expecting anything, but for $200, I had to try. (I'm not anywhere near as angry about it as I presented to them, I am a little miffed though.) Either way, it was good stress relief.

I just went to Bridgeport tonight and got a 299 iPhone for the wife.

The employees at the Bridgeport store are too smart, since a lot of them bought iPhone before the price drop and before their employee discount. I'd trying calling Apple support. I just tried the 1-800 number, and they told me to call back from 9am-to-9pm tomorrow, Apple customer support might be able to do something, they said.

Like you, I'm not that mad, but since Apple is making $200 off me, I might as well act really mad and try.

iLeoMarc
Sep 5, 2007, 11:14 PM
And as a stockholder, I would be pissed if they gave out $200 mil in refunds (but definitely less pissed if they gave it out as Apple store credit).

Well speaking for my family, I think there are alot of us who just wants to be recognized really. The fact that Apple said "Suckers" to us, is a really bad feeling. With that said I would settle for Apple-Store/ iTunes credit and doesn't even have to be the entire $200 per iPhone ($400 in my case, as I bought two).

Note: Please don't reply about I should not get anything, Blah, Blah, Blah. I just wanted to point out that I would settle for much less then what people are asking for.

deejemon
Sep 5, 2007, 11:16 PM

shrimpdesign
Sep 5, 2007, 11:18 PM
The iPhone WILL eventually be a "freebie" that's given away with a contract...if you don't think it will, then you're completely oblivious.
Apple likes to price their products a tad higher to give the perception that their products are better (which they usually are). Apple would never give away the iPhone. The iPhone is unsubsidized right now, and it will stay that way.

MacEyeDoc
Sep 5, 2007, 11:19 PM
Not a very fair comparison. The 15" Apple notebook (be it PowerBook or MBP) is an established product. A more valid comparison would be the first 15" notebook compared to the replacement model.

Not saying I agree with you, it's just your comparison makes no sense.

I remember getting an Intel iMac when they first came out. 6 months later, it was replaced and I could've gotten a 20". 6 months, 2 months. Mobile computing moves much faster than desktop computing, especially phones.

I got a 4GB iPhone 30 days ago. If I just waited a measly 16 days, I could be $200 richer. If Apple wants to give me something for it, great, if not, the iPhone was and is still worth the $500 I paid.

It's so interesting to see how people are divided on this issue. I am on the side of the rebates, because no previous Apple product (except for Aperture) has been devalued so quickly. You think your iPhone is still worth $500? You're wrong, it's worth $399. I paid 50% more than that about 6 weeks ago. A 50% upcharge to use it 6 weeks? That is unreasonable, even in the fast paced tech world. I promise I'll wait 2 months before I buy another new model of iPhone, and I don't think you'll see people giving Apple free publicity by camping out days ahead of product launches. And one of the other posters is correct - the price for a G4, G5, Mac Pro is usually around $2499 - you think they would ever drop it to $1650? I think people had a reasonable expectation that the price would be stable till a new model came out, or features were added. It's almost like a car dealer that gets you to pay for a higher priced sports car, and as you drive off the lot, you hear him say "so long, Sucker!" as he lowers the price on the sign.

I think we can all agree that Apple did a horrendously bad job(s) on the timing of this announcement. We should be talking about the cool new iPods, but everyone is upset about the iPhone price drop. If they had made a separate announcement next Monday that prices were going to be reduced, thay would not have gotten the black eye that are getting now.

And unfortunately if someone asks me about buying whatever the latest Apple gizmo is in the future, I'll have to say "wait at least 2 months, or until the price drops, whichever is sooner". That's kinda sad.

DTphonehome
Sep 5, 2007, 11:22 PM
A 50% upcharge to use it 6 weeks? That is unreasonable, even in the fast paced tech world.

So I ask again, what would you have preferred them do? Leave the price high simply to satisfy early adoptors, or drop it to attract new customers? At what point is it "OK" for them to drop the price? They needed to do it now so that they could move these for the holidays. Everyone has got to stop taking it so personally.

hokullani
Sep 5, 2007, 11:28 PM
well it sucks for me but come on, do they really expect non fan boys to pay $600 for an iPhone? Now at this price it is just like buying an iPod touch and a $100 phone which makes more sense than a nano and a $350 phone! so good for apple but sucks for me

bousozoku
Sep 5, 2007, 11:30 PM
Mod note: please keep it civil if you want this thread to remain open.

shrimpdesign
Sep 5, 2007, 11:46 PM
You think your iPhone is still worth $500? You're wrong, it's worth $399.

Technically $299 since I have the 4GB, but I get your point.

And one of the other posters is correct - the price for a G4, G5, Mac Pro is usually around $2499 - you think they would ever drop it to $1650? I think people had a reasonable expectation that the price would be stable till a new model came out, or features were added. It's almost like a car dealer that gets you to pay for a higher priced sports car, and as you drive off the lot, you hear him say "so long, Sucker!" as he lowers the price on the sign.

Comparing the iPhone to established products is wrong. Apple has had 20+ years so figure out how much to charge for a desktop computer, and how much for an Apple notebook? like 15+ years? The fact is, the iPhone is a completely new platform and handheld device, comparable to nothing else. It's a entirely new paradigm, and if demand for the $500-600 iPhone leveled out, and Apple decided to cut prices to increase demand, then good! They're figuring it out as they go along.

I think we can all agree that Apple did a horrendously bad job(s) on the timing of this announcement. We should be talking about the cool new iPods, but everyone is upset about the iPhone price drop.

I agree, they should've dropped the price in unison with a software update adding new features. That way, old users get the new software, and new users are more tempted to buy one.

Sideonecincy
Sep 5, 2007, 11:47 PM
Anyway, I don't really care about the iPhone price drop too much. I'd love to get even a $50 gift card from Apple or something, but I've really enjoyed my iPhone the last 2 months and I'm still 100% pleased with it.

Exactly. Some of you people might have still bought it even if you did know there was a price reduction coming.

If you are so mad, sell your phone on ebay, they are still going for original prices.

thrckb
Sep 5, 2007, 11:50 PM
I was so upset that I went back to my AT&T store and asked them to apply the pressure to Apple for the quick price drop. As others have said, I knew it was coming but not before the billing finally got right. I really hope some one starts a ClassAction cause this is screaming for one. I asked AT&T what can I do to close my account in protest they said I'll have to pay another 175.00 to do so.
Thanks for the royal flush APPLE. :(

MacEyeDoc
Sep 5, 2007, 11:51 PM
So I ask again, what would you have preferred them do? Leave the price high simply to satisfy early adoptors, or drop it to attract new customers? At what point is it "OK" for them to drop the price? They needed to do it now so that they could move these for the holidays. Everyone has got to stop taking it so personally.

Apple had months to set the price point. Then 2 months later they decide they were wrong by 50%? The newest Mercedes comes out at $60,000, doesn't sell well, and so 2 months later they sell it for $40,000? That never happens. The "holidays" are 3 months away, what's the rush?

I think most of us like Apple because they make the best products. I am fine with paying more for any Apple product than another brand because I know that they will "just work". And if the new paradigm is that Apple phone prices are going to drop 33% every 2 months, I can get used to that. But Apple has never done this before (excepting Aperture). They usually set a price and stick to it. This "feels" like a bait and switch. Not "Wow, our costs just went down and we're passing our savings on to you" but "I can't believe how stupid those first suckers were - we can cut it by 33% and still make a profit - losers!"

Apple occasionally makes a mistake - they did with Aperture and they made everyone happy with a store credit, so they can do the same here. I cerainly will continue to buy Apple stuff - I'll just wait longer now.

choke
Sep 5, 2007, 11:52 PM
Got my iPhone 8GB on Aug 14 at the Apple Store in Cambridge, MA. I called the 1-800 Apple line but gave up when I read that if you bought your iPhone from a store, you had to deal with the store. I called the Cambridge store around 4pm EST and was told that they cannot do anything for me if the "14 day policy" has passed. I said, "Look, I would even settle for store credit." No dice. I even called my credit card company for price protection... no dice there too (thanks Bank of America).

Then, I emailed a friend of mine who works for an Apple Store (not Cambridge). He told me: (1) go to the store; (2) ask for the store manager; and (3) tell them you want a price adjustment refund. Seemed simple enough, but after all I read on here, I didn't think it would work.

So, I went down to the Apple Store with receipt in hand. I initially spoke with a sales rep and asked for the manager. The rep told me he could try and help, so I told him my story and he asked me where did I hear about 'price adjustment policy', and I told him "I have a friend who works for Apple." At the point, he went and got the manager.

Long story short, the manager credited my card back $210 (5% tax in MA). I didn't want to settle for store credit, so I didn't even bring it up. I also heard the manager speaking to another "price adjustment" person saying on the phone "if you come in by Friday, I can take care of it." Then the manager did the same thing for the guy behind me.

I don't know if every Apple store is doing this. It seems like some are and some are not. Maybe it's up to the individual managers and/or stores.

I am still peeved that I had to waste an afternoon going through all this, but $200 dollars is nothing to sneeze at.

So don't give up. Go down to your local Apple Store and ask directly for the manager. And if you live in Boston, go to the Cambridge store!

sparkleytone
Sep 5, 2007, 11:53 PM
I bought a 4GB iPhone because I thought it was worth $499. If I didn't, I wouldn't have purchased it. The price of entry to own the iPhone is now significantly lower. I look forward to seeing more people with them. What's the deal with this whining?

zwida
Sep 5, 2007, 11:56 PM
I don't think most of us expect a refund. I do think it's unreasonable to act as if we can't feel a little stung by the whole thing. Geesh:rolleyes:

Exactly (and on both counts).

And now that I think about it, to apply the common stock market pitch, I liked it at $600, I LOVE it at $400...

kugino
Sep 6, 2007, 12:00 AM
i understand those who are upset about the price reduction. if i bought it 3 weeks ago at 599 i'd be upset about the money. in the same way i'd be upset about a shirt i bought that later went on sale...oh, if i had just waited a few weeks longer...

but how can you be upset at apple for doing this? that is where i think people are silly. you're upset that a for-profit company reduces the price on an item so that it will be easier to obtain, compete with offerings from other companies, and thus gain a bigger presence in the market. it's a business. some benefit from the reduction (like those who waited), while some spent $200 more. you still get the exact same functionality, exact same hardware, etc. and if you were willing and able to buy it at $599 you most certainly thought it was a fair price at that time, all things considered. otherwise you wouldn't have bought it.

apple's 14-day policy is more than fair, IMO. and if you miss it by a day? too bad. sorry. things like this happen all the time. i don't fault you for being upset about just missing it...but to think that apple "owes" you and that apple is evil and that apple is losing customers because of it is simply ridiculous. anyone who is in the tech gadget world knows that new things come up all the time and the turnover rate is very high...

so there. i've said it. stop whining and crying if you fall outside the 14-day grace period. suck it up and complain about something more important :rolleyes:

ATJxTPB
Sep 6, 2007, 12:03 AM
Well, I just bought my iPhone 16 days ago. I think I have every right to be mad. I called up Apple, there was nothing they could do. All I can do now is petition:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/iPhone_Price_Cut/

Anonymous Freak
Sep 6, 2007, 12:09 AM
Well, I just bought my iPhone 16 days ago. I think I have every right to be mad. I called up Apple, there was nothing they could do. All I can do now is petition:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/iPhone_Price_Cut/

You do know that online petitions are 100% completely totally ignored by anyone in any position of authority or power, right?

Massive call-in campaigns can change things. Clicking "Yeah, me too, man!" doesn't.

Daiden
Sep 6, 2007, 12:17 AM
Like you, I'm not that mad, but since Apple is making $200 off me, I might as well act really mad and try.

I always want to try to act mad, but I don't really feel like its fair to be a jerk to someone who had no say whatsoever in the decision. I try to be reasonable and level headed, and sometimes that works a lot better then yelling and screaming.

You do know that online petitions are 100% completely totally ignored by anyone in any position of authority or power, right?

Massive call-in campaigns can change things. Clicking "Yeah, me too, man!" doesn't.

That's true. When 100 people call in and complain, it feels like a lot. Phones are ringing off the hook. People in positions of power take notice.

When you show someone a petition with 20,000 names, they figure that doesn't represent the majority of their customer base and ignore it.

It's true, a lawsuit is pointless and a waste of time for everyone involved. The only leverage people have in this situation is the fact that they're a customer and they're unhappy with the company. There has been nothing illegal done here.

MacAerfen
Sep 6, 2007, 12:22 AM
Honestly I do not think I have seen more people whining. People who are whining should be ashamed of themselves. You are the reason support gets flooded and waste other peoples time and abuse techs that didn't do anything to deserve being harassed. Oh and you are not beta testing the Phone. You bought the phone when you wanted it, you could have waited like alot of people did if you thought the price was too much.

You bought a product for the price it was advertised. YOU are the one that made the descision that the price you paid was worth it to you. Everyone knows if you wait to buy a product you get a better price. If you think Apple owes you anything you are delusional. You can say well its unprecidented that they would lower the price two months later. This is Apples first venture into a highly established and highly competative business. The only way they are going to get a foothold so they can continue to develop new phones is by attacking that market agressively and getting as many switchers as they can. They need to lower the prices to get more people buying. They need to be agressive when there are companies like Nokia willing to shamelessly rip off their designs and remarket it.

Those bragging about getting a refund should be doubly ashamed. You took advantage of someones compassion and instead of quietly being happy you came to brag. Well you are bragging about ripping off the very company that laboured to develop that little toy you like. You made sure its that much harder for them to develop new items and provide you an option other than the beast that is Microsoft and other design thiefs like Nokia.

You people want Apple to develop an iPhone not tied to a specific carrier. Congratulations on making it that much harder. There is no way Apple could have brought the iPhone ot market without the support of a carrier. There are so many things Apple needed to learn as far as how the network works and that field of technology. Now that they know these things they can start developing a phone that they can bring to other networks. They have earned credibility that other networks can bank on because prior to this release alot of networks didn't think Apple could do it. Now because of greedy people that seem to think its fair to not only get the product on launch day but also get to pay the same as those patient (or in the case of availability) did not. This isn't mideval france and no you cant have your cake and eat it too.

To those that purchased the iPhone on launch and are not behaving like spoiled brats I say cheers. You are proof that there are still some people out there that have a clue.

sparkleytone
Sep 6, 2007, 12:24 AM
Honestly I do not think I have seen more people whining.

Stick around and watch what happens after the next Apple event. Also, take note of the ratio of whiners to newbies.

Daiden
Sep 6, 2007, 12:26 AM
Honestly I do not think I have seen more people whining.

People have the right to be upset about something a company (or anyone) does. You're just trying to tell people how to think. That's called "elitism", look it up.

jcammo123
Sep 6, 2007, 12:27 AM
I speak on behalf of iphoners prior to the price drop....
yes it would be nice if we received some kind of credit for the being the early birds...
realistically, however, it will not happen...

but dont u think having the iphone these past two months was an ooberly cool experience?
everyone went in awe the moment you pulled it out...

if anything...
at least we can appreciate our iphones $200 better then any of these 9/5 (and beyond) iphoners ever will...

excuse me.
:: picking up the shattered pieces of his dignity ::

at least we have that much...

-_-

suneohair
Sep 6, 2007, 12:32 AM
People have the right to be upset about something a company (or anyone) does. You're just trying to tell people how to think. That's called "elitism", look it up.

So wait. You tell the poster to "look it up" as if he doesn't know what it means. Could that be... *gasp* elitism? :rolleyes:

No one is trying to tell you how to think. We are just trying to explain to you why your reasoning and actions are truly absurd.

DownSetDana
Sep 6, 2007, 12:35 AM
why should people who purchased the iphone months ago be eligible for the rebate. They were too anxious to wait for the iPhone so they paid the more expensive price, but they couldn't wait for the price cut. But now, since the price cut occured, people are bitching. Sometimes I don't understand people. Patience is virtue, remember that. I knew the price cut was going to happen sooner or later and I think that Apple is doing the right thing with the 14 Day Price Protection, but for the people who exceed that and are complaining, you shouldn't be getting anything if I had anything to do with it.

atowntx512
Sep 6, 2007, 12:37 AM
Apple had months to set the price point. Then 2 months later they decide they were wrong by 50%? The newest Mercedes comes out at $60,000, doesn't sell well, and so 2 months later they sell it for $40,000? That never happens. The "holidays" are 3 months away, what's the rush?

I think most of us like Apple because they make the best products. I am fine with paying more for any Apple product than another brand because I know that they will "just work". And if the new paradigm is that Apple phone prices are going to drop 33% every 2 months, I can get used to that. But Apple has never done this before (excepting Aperture). They usually set a price and stick to it. This "feels" like a bait and switch. Not "Wow, our costs just went down and we're passing our savings on to you" but "I can't believe how stupid those first suckers were - we can cut it by 33% and still make a profit - losers!"

Apple occasionally makes a mistake - they did with Aperture and they made everyone happy with a store credit, so they can do the same here. I cerainly will continue to buy Apple stuff - I'll just wait longer now.

So we are now comparing a Benz to a phone!! Hmmm, $60,000 car to a $600 phone! Wooooooooow!!!! <--Sarcasm..... Let try comparing something in the price range of the phone....

MacAerfen
Sep 6, 2007, 12:40 AM

Actually I am not trying to tell you how to think, im not sure in your case that would even be possible.

If you do not like being called a whiner, and that you are behaving like a spoiled brat then perhaps you should try not behaving like that. You won't find too many people really sympathize with you. Again you buy a product for the price you think its worth when you decide you no longer want to wait to own one. I still have yet to buy an iPhone. Would I like to have had one on launch day. Absolutely. For my purposes though the ammount of use I would get or the "elitism" of having the newest tech first isn't worth the price. You thought it was when you bought yours and now you are whining because you think that somehow others should be responsible to look out for your best interests over theirs. I am sorry but whining and crying, throwing little tantrums at stores and with support agents because you didnt get what you want doesn't fly, it doesn't get much sympathy when a todler crys becuase mommy wont give them the candy when they want it either.

Sep 6, 2007, 12:42 AM
why should people who purchased the iphone months ago be eligible for the rebate. They were too anxious to wait for the iPhone so they paid the more expensive price, but they couldn't wait for the price cut. But now, since the price cut occured, people are bitching. Sometimes I don't understand people. Patience is virtue, remember that. I knew the price cut was going to happen sooner or later and I think that Apple is doing the right thing with the 14 Day Price Protection, but for the people who exceed that and are complaining, you shouldn't be getting anything if I had anything to do with it.

if I knew a price drop was coming in 6 or less months I would have gladly waited

LimeiBook86
Sep 6, 2007, 12:48 AM
Well I'm glad some people are getting a refund or some credit. Unfortunately I bought mine at an AT&T store. I don't think they'd really be willing to help me.

I'd be happy with a refund of course, or even an upgrade to an 8 GB iPhone. I can dream, but realistically I doubt it will happen. :rolleyes:

We were all pawns in Job's game of chess, and everything went perfectly as planned for Apple.

MacAerfen
Sep 6, 2007, 12:52 AM
if I knew a price drop was coming in 6 or less months I would have gladly waited

So please name me a company that sells technology that advertises when it releases something that its going to drop the price within 6 months. I would love to see the sign on the store page "Announcing the New Gizmo! 499 today 299 tomorrow" Get real. Noone advertises a price drop is coming. You play your cards you take your chances. You bought the iPhone on the assumption that you would have to wait 6 months before getting it cheaper. You decided that getting it then was worth the chance that it might be cheaper in a while. You made an assumption, it was wrong. Thats not the companies fault.

Again you don't deserve a penny. You decided you wanted the phone sooner than waiting till it was a price you wanted more. You can have one or the other. You dont have a right to both.

*Spitfire*
Sep 6, 2007, 12:58 AM
I think it will be good for my soul to be ridiculed by all those formerly covetous people who remembered my smug June demos of the iPhone. We early adopters could all use a little shot of humility now and then, coupled with a pointed reminder that perhaps we didn't actually design, build, and market the thingees ourselves. On the other hand, smug really, really felt good while it lasted. There--admitting it is the first step toward recovery.

And the Silver Lining Search Patrol did discover that a huge installed base would lead to more, better and cheaper software design support for the iPhone. That's a good thing, huh?

Okay, time to rend my clothing and sprinkle ashes, but....hey, did somebody say there was a supercool 160 Gb iPod that just came out?

SFlawgirl
Sep 6, 2007, 01:37 AM
I bought an 8gb on 8/15 through the online apple store. I called customer care tonight and after a bit of dancing around, the rep gave me a "good faith" offer. He said he could not give me the entire $200 because I was passed the 14 days but that he could give me a $150 on my credit card. No confirmation number was provided so I will believe it when I see it but if it works out the 40 minute wait time will have been worth it.

portland1137
Sep 6, 2007, 01:51 AM
I bought an 8gig phone on day 1 and I full expect a credit of some kind.

People who are saying that "this is the price you pay for being an early adopter" don't appreciate this particular situation. Typically, a new, better, cheaper product replaces the one you bought. I fully expected this with the iPhone. I didn't expect the price to drop by 1/3 69 days after I bought it (on the first day it was availible).

It is stunning that Apple would not take this into consideration. I know those that didn't buy yet are excited about the lower price. But Apple should realize that some of their best customers, who stood in line, would feel taken advantage of if they are not compensated in some way. A $200 fee for two months of use is not right. People know this. I am looking at buying a MacBook, but if Apple doesn't do right by me, I'm not going to buy it. People do have options. I know that alot of people here are Apple customers to the death. I'm not one of them (and most people aren't). As far as business goes, Apple needs to do something. Losing me and other people as customers far outweighs the $200 in pure profit that was skimmed off of my purchase.

(And to those who say they needed to recoupe their development costs - That is done over the life of the product, not simply in the first 69 days. They obviously are still making money off of each phone at the new $399 price point)

Anyway, this is my first post. I just feel very strongly about this and I am kind of shocked at alot of people's views on this.

filman408
Sep 6, 2007, 02:00 AM
Losing me and other people as customers far outweighs the $200 in pure profit that was skimmed off of my purchase.

As stated in The Office (RIP from iTunes), it is 10 times more expensive to gain a new customer then to keep a current customer. Hence why customer service and respect is so dang important.
In this situation, they could have alientated atleast half a million* customers - not a good amount of people to alienate.

* I say only half a million because not everyone is alienated - but most are.

robd003
Sep 6, 2007, 02:15 AM
I *really* don't get it... You were willing to pay $599 when you purchased the iPhone, you've obviously enjoyed having it early since you didn't return it and now you're peeved that Apple cut the price to let the mass market get at it??

Here's a simple lesson in markets people, early adopters will pay anything. Why shouldn't Apple get an extra $200/person while they can? The elite can feel elite for two months then they'll release it to the rabble and the stock price will soar. Seems to make sense to me...

I picked up my iPhone one week after it was released and I knew they'd be doing a price drop, it's just that it seemed so useful that I'd rather pay the premium than sit around with an old Blackberry. It definitely *has* paid for itself entirely during the two months I've had it so I really can't understand people bitching about $200.

GTiPhone
Sep 6, 2007, 02:23 AM
If Apple does not offer SOME sort of refund to all current iPhone customers, it will be the last time they have early adopters show up in droves for a new product. Why ever buy an Apple product, its just going to be better and cheaper in 45 days.

MacAerfen
Sep 6, 2007, 02:36 AM
People still don't get it. You bought a product at a price you felt was justified for when you bought it. Why should a company not be able to change their price without getting harassed by people because heaven forbid they paid more by wanting to have it before everyone else. With the manufacturing prices going down (and you can say but this is original stock all you want) Apple made the decision to lower the prices to increase sales. Thats what a smart business does. Yes it might be sooner than expected, so much the better. With the prices on components going down, Apple is able to gain more profit on the individual phone over the period of time. Most companies set an expectation on how much profit they will make in a given period of time, otherwise you would see prices jumping all over the place just about every day. So in six months Apple expected to make X amount of dollars on the iPhone. Decent sales, coupled with lower costs for future production means they can afford to lower the price earlier than otherwise expected, therefore opening the market wider for others who found the initial price inhibiting. Believe me, the increase in sales for people who will now look at the iPhone as a much better investment will more than compensate for it.

If the natural course of the technology industry makes you not want to buy from a company, then don't. Call it a lesson learned and leave. Apple will still continue to make outstanding and innovative products that are superior to much of their competition. Those that enjoy their products will no doubt continue to enjoy the new ones while you are stuck using inferior items or moving from company to company every time you do not get your way.

maccies
Sep 6, 2007, 02:52 AM
It's not even about the money any more. its the princinpal. Buying an apple product has been for the longest time an experience. A community, when everyone else was saying PC, PC. We Maccies stuck with and lived as outcast, devoted to our macs. We gave Steve Jobs a brand loyalty and for him to betray us like this. Obivious I was willing to pay extra to even cancel my old plan, and for him to string us along and screw us over. its the principal of not giving back to his loyal brand followers, not caring enough to even say, we'll give you some kinda credit..it the "oh, too bad attitdude that hurts the most, yeh so what I gonna crush my "$600" phone, what's it too you. I'm standing behind principal. Obivious you don't get that.

slidingjon
Sep 6, 2007, 03:10 AM
I am surprised to have not seen this argument yet:

Had to pay for the Apple employees free iPhones somehow, right??

illitrate23
Sep 6, 2007, 03:55 AM
If Apple does not offer SOME sort of refund to all current iPhone customers, it will be the last time they have early adopters show up in droves for a new product. Why ever buy an Apple product, its just going to be better and cheaper in 45 days.

no it won't - it won't change a thing
have you not bought any piece of new tech straight after release before? this always happens. it happened with the Xbox. it happened with the PS2. and yet all the same early adopters of those pre-ordered and queued up for their Xbox 360s and their PS3s.
if you're going to buy a new product within the first few months of its release, you've got to be expecting the price to drop within a few weeks of your purchasing it. its the way the market works

DaftUnion
Sep 6, 2007, 04:00 AM
At first I was extremely angry that they knocked down the price so soon, then I guess got over the initial shock and am DEALING with it. One things for sure though, I will never wait in a line again for a new Apple product after this.

Other than that, I'll live with the extra I payed for it.

aimfire
Sep 6, 2007, 04:16 AM
At first I was extremely angry that they knocked down the price so soon, then I guess got over the initial shock and am DEALING with it. One things for sure though, I will never wait in a line again for a new Apple product after this.

Other than that, I'll live with the extra I payed for it.

I'm with ya - my feelings exactly.

I started out using Macs back in 1993 for years, then switched to PC/Windows for about 8 years... This year I became a born-again Apple fan, got a new MacBook, an iPhone on launch day, and have been telling everyone I know what a great company Apple is... and with this 30% price drop in 2 months, I feel like I just got the middle finger.

As someone else pointed out, it's not just about the money - it's the principle behind it. I'm not expecting any $200 cash refunds, but I hope Apple makes this right by at least giving out iTunes or Apple Store credits....

Peligro
Sep 6, 2007, 04:56 AM
I actually thought a price drop wasn't due for awhile longer. iPod's haven't really dropped in price. Why would this? I was expecting maybe a boost in memory around January or something. I told everyone my plan. My friends my co-workers. My family...

I caved about 16 days ago. I could not resist. I told everyone that it is the coolest phone ever. I still do.

But I that didn't stop me from feeling a little dumb about it. Now I feel a lot dumber. Thanks Apple!

aimfire
Sep 6, 2007, 05:03 AM
I know a lot of us are upset right now, but I still have some faith left in Apple and am hoping they will "do the right thing" and offer us early adopters some kind of "reward" in the form of a iTunes and/or Apple Store credit.

I really like my iPhone, but it is not perfect and still has several short-comings... however, I've been able to overlook this and patiently await the updates in the future. Apple really needs to make things right here...

If Apple does not offer any type of compensation, then I will definitely hold off on buying Leopard in October... and will urge others to do so. I really hope it dosn't come down to that.

DaveClarkOne
Sep 6, 2007, 05:41 AM
As one who waited in line to spend $600, I felt the iPhone had value at this price, or I wouldn't have purchased it. Simple enough.

From a business standpoint, however, Apple should be concerned about the ill-will it creates with this price-correction, due more to supply and demand than commodity pricing of its components. The early-adopters will likely think twice about jumping in early for any future, premium-priced item. Not exactly what Wall Street wants, nor its shareholders.

I'm fine with the new, lower price, but the pricing of Aperture may offer a clue to what Apple does. And I think Apple was right to offer a store credit to its faithful. I am not expecting a credit, but history has shown Apple to be mighty protective of its goodwill w/customers. Perception is reality, and a smart Company doesn't want its customers feeling they paid too much (for whatever reason).

ichii
Sep 6, 2007, 05:47 AM
I don't think the early adopter like myself are angry with a price drop, everything drops in price, but it's usually after 6 months or more. It is also weird because Apple don't usually drop or reduce the price of their products, they upgrade it like their computer and ipod line.

jellomizer
Sep 6, 2007, 06:11 AM
I am not sure why you are angry at the refund. You didn't get scammed. You agreed to pay the price for the phone when you got the phone you were happy with it right. Why can't you be happy with it now?

It is actually an interesting pricing scheme for it you take look at the supply and demand curves. You sell a smaller supply to the people who is willing to pay the high price (what you get is bragging rights to be the first) Then you lower the price for the rest of your population... Also I would suspect that in that after the new iPod touch many of the parts became cheaper to build iPhones because of economy of scale. Being able to buy more same parts cheaper to make more units.

Now if you were an early adopter don't be mad that you spent an extra $200 it was the price of bragging rights. Much like getting a 2007 model car this week and in a month or so the same car new will be $1000.00 cheaper so the can get the models out for the 2008 lineup.

Wilbah
Sep 6, 2007, 06:16 AM
I've been lurking here forever; this debate has gotten me hot enough to sign up and post.... it's NOT about what the price was on June 29th.. for me, its that Apple and At&T USED me, and others like us, to sort out their launch, and in effect charged us $200 / phone to do so. If the price were $399 at launch, there would have been many more "early converters"; making AT&T's dismal launch performance even more unpalpable.... at the $599 price, it sort of limited sales to crazy Apple fans, or people with alot of disposable income.

My iPhone experience since June 29th has been less than steller.... on June 29th, I purchased 3 8G iphones.....

Get home and cant get ONE activated through AT&T to port my numbers from Verizon, So At&T customer support advises me to start up three "new" accounts while I wait a week for the dust to settle. After nearly a month it all finally gets sorted out, (numbers got ported) only I had to return two of the phones (one twice) for various reasons... (one wouldn't charge, the other touch screen was dead).

A few weeks later I get a thousand (literally) pages in bills from At&T, who now have me registered for SIX iphones and have a bill of over a thousand dollars! -They never cancelled my "temporary" accounts and rolled them into my ported numbers! -after they promised me they did! Yep! activation fees, the whole nine! Took me endless calls, and lots and lots of aggravation to get this sorted out....

When I finally did, my iphone stops working (the bottom row on the touch screen is dead when I am in phone mode) - so manually dialing a number - a bare necessity if you are in business, and need to call someone not in your contacts list- is impossible!

I now have to wake up at midnight to schedule an iphone "genius" appointment, or deal with the attitude laden kids at my not so local Apple Store - Oh... and for all this, I got to pay $200 EXTRA so that Apple, and At&T could learn how to market, price, activate and service this device, but they needed me and the others who got raped here, to be the early adopters (and made us pay for it) so they could figure this out.

My first mac - in a long line too long to post i my sigs - was a "Mac SE" in 1987.... I had the first powerbook -(the 100); had Newtons... you get the idea... I KNOW Apple... I know their business practices... been upset before when prices drop and lines get discontinued in favor of improvements... all that before was normal... BUT THIS IS A RIPOFF!

I HAVE LOST FAITH! APPLE IS SCREWING OVER THEIR MOST LOYAL, MOST CHAMPION CUSTOMERS WHO CARRY THE FLAG FOR THE BRAND AND RECOMMEND APPLE PRODUCTS TO OUR FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CO-WORKERS.

This is unacceptable, and anything less than a $200 credit at the Apple store (which is easy to do, because you KNOW we will buy more than $200 worth of Apple products in the next 6 months) is unacceptable in my book!

leviut
Sep 6, 2007, 06:20 AM

i knew there would be a price drop, but my phone is so fresh, i hardly know everything about it. and wtf-- why was it being sold at such a high price if it is profitable at $399?

are apple products a rip off?

the price drop is like a damn slap in the face. and if apple won't man up, and reward(blue tooth, ringtones, a gift check???) those of us who waited in line... he's pissing a lot of loyalists off. KARMA is a bitch.

I'm pissed-- because I look stupid and people at work can now laugh in my face.

thanks steve.

the company has lost s

suneohair
Sep 6, 2007, 06:31 AM
i knew there would be a price drop, but my phone is so fresh, i hardly know everything about it. and wtf-- why was it being sold at such a high price if it is profitable at $399?

are apple products a rip off?

the price drop is like a damn slap in the face. and if apple won't man up, and reward(blue tooth, ringtones, a gift check???) those of us who waited in line... he's pissing a lot of loyalists off. KARMA is a bitch.

I'm pissed-- because I look stupid and people at work can now laugh in my face.

thanks steve.

the company has lost s

I wouldn't call someone who bought an Apple product early and then whined about a price drop a loyalist. Loyalists know better!

gburbidge
Sep 6, 2007, 07:03 AM
Are people only apple fans becaue of price points? It's bizarre to me that people are going to stop buying apple products because of their plan to do a price drop. I would bet they set their price points based on supply. They knew tha come launch they could only supply to customers paying a premium price, so rather than having the phones backordered for three months, they charge a premium until they could build enough stock. If they would have asked me in June if I was willing to pay an extra $200 to get one then I would have happily have done it. If they offered me the new OS now for an extra $200 I would probably jump on that too... I hope all the kids saying they won't wait in line anymore are serious. That'll make the line so much shorter when the new OS comes out.

gb

atszyman
Sep 6, 2007, 07:22 AM
Quick question for the launch day buyers:

If the iPhone had been released in March and you had still bought in June, would you still be wanting the $200 back?

By my calculations it cost you less than $4 per day for being an early adopter. The iPhone was released 68 days before September 5th, and the last 14 days will get the new price. That leaves 54 days where people are inelligible for the new price. Why do you all think you're entitled to $200 back? Shouldn't you really get $4/day after launch you bought it so that the people who bought 16 days ago and only had a couple weeks use before the cut are given more of a rebate since they essentially got more screwed than someone who bought it at launch?

Did you get $4/day worth of enjoyment out of your iPhone? If you did, suck it up, and realize that companies are all going to charge as much as the market will allow for any product at a particular time and place. Do drug companies owe me a boatload of rebates since I could have gotten all of my prescriptions cheaper in Canada? Does DirecTV owe me rebates since Sunday Ticket is cheaper in Mexico?

When deodorant goes on sale at Target for $1 off a $3 stick do you go to their customer service desk and demand a rebate for the 33% difference?

Apple's policy has always been 14 days, sure it sucks when you bought 15 days ago, but if you give concessions to the 15 day purchasers, what do you do for the 16 dayers? or 17, 18? Where do you draw the line? Apple drew it at 14 days and really should stick to their guns on this and hold their ground. I'm actually willing to bet that a lot of the people complaining would have still gladly paid $200 extra to have it for these past 68 days even if Apple had announced that they were going to slash the price 2 months after launch. What are you going to do when at&t start offering subsidies on the iPhone and you can get it for $200 with a 2-year contract?

bruk201ib
Sep 6, 2007, 07:33 AM
i was shocked last night when i saw the price cut on the iphone. i wouldn't be surprised if steve would have made some improvement on it or made some announcement regarding the iphone... but just saying that they were cutting the price was a big slap in Apple customers' face. I totally agree with the statement that technology is what it is, but I've never seen anybody slashing a price of a brand new product without improving it. The ipods got a slashing price as well, but they are totally new, same thing with the macs. When I bought my ibook G3 12" back in 2001, two months later they came out with an improved version of the same computer with a bigger screen and bigger HD and the cd-burner for the same price. That made me mad, but it made sense. This one i don't get it.

fortunately i moved to the UK the week after the iphone came out otherwise i would be pissed by now because i would have bought it on the opening day.

now i really don't know if hoping to come here soon when it will probably cost 399.

i still love apple despite of all this, but now i'm curious to see what's going to happen in the near future.

atszyman
Sep 6, 2007, 07:42 AM
but just saying that they were cutting the price was a big slap in Apple customers' face. I totally agree with the statement that technology is what it is, but I've never seen anybody slashing a price of a brand new product without improving it.

I've seen the iPods and computers get price cuts without improvements before, even from Apple. This is not unprecedented.

As I said before those who bought opening day paid only $4/day for the privilege of having the iPhone early, that's less than the cost of a beer at the bar in a lot of places. If I had bought opening day and they had improved and slashed the price I'd be more pissed than a simple price cut. At least for my $4/day now people wouldn't be getting something with more storage/features than what I already had.

joeconvert
Sep 6, 2007, 07:47 AM
Painful but true. Technology moves fast, sometimes faster than you expect. People shouldn't have gotten an iPhone unless they thought it was worth it the money they paid for it.

That wasn't Apple's view when they put 4 year old mobile radio technology in it.

Quick question for the launch day buyers:

If the iPhone had been released in March and you had still bought in June, would you still be wanting the $200 back?

By my calculations it cost you less than $4 per day for being an early adopter. The iPhone was released 68 days before September 5th, and the last 14 days will get the new price. That leaves 54 days where people are inelligible for the new price. Why do you all think you're entitled to $200 back? Shouldn't you really get $4/day after launch you bought it so that the people who bought 16 days ago and only had a couple weeks use before the cut are given more of a rebate since they essentially got more screwed than someone who bought it at launch?

Did you get $4/day worth of enjoyment out of your iPhone? If you did, suck it up, and realize that companies are all going to charge as much as the market will allow for any product at a particular time and place. Do drug companies owe me a boatload of rebates since I could have gotten all of my prescriptions cheaper in Canada? Does DirecTV owe me rebates since Sunday Ticket is cheaper in Mexico?

When deodorant goes on sale at Target for $1 off a $3 stick do you go to their customer service desk and demand a rebate for the 33% difference?

Apple's policy has always been 14 days, sure it sucks when you bought 15 days ago, but if you give concessions to the 15 day purchasers, what do you do for the 16 dayers? or 17, 18? Where do you draw the line? Apple drew it at 14 days and really should stick to their guns on this and hold their ground. I'm actually willing to bet that a lot of the people complaining would have still gladly paid $200 extra to have it for these past 68 days even if Apple had announced that they were going to slash the price 2 months after launch. What are you going to do when at&t start offering subsidies on the iPhone and you can get it for $200 with a 2-year contract?

Yes, Directv does, but that's another topic. However, Apple is now no differnet from Microsoft and crap companies like Directv.

AbsenceOfTruth
Sep 6, 2007, 08:08 AM
This is ridiculous, I'm not buying an Apple product again until they figure this problem out.

How could Apple do that to their early adopters?

yoshe200
Sep 6, 2007, 08:11 AM
I think AT&T is much more flexible than Apple. I bought my 8GB iPhone back in July and called AT&T to see what they can do. They said they usually don't offer any credits but since I've been with AT&T for so long (4 years) they credited me $120. Good luck everyone!

chicagostars
Sep 6, 2007, 08:14 AM
You ran out and bought a product enthusiastically upon it's release. Sure, many say they've been waiting for a product like the iPhone for years, but I doubt that many if any can say that they absolutely NEEDED it. Great convenience and convergence, but not a necessity.

Sure, the price drop came faster than many other electronic devices, but this does happen. Many have said, and it does sound a bit cruel, but no one was forced to be an early adopter. Sure, most of us would like to get the best deal on products, but there's a risk when you assume the role of an early adopter. The price may drop. The product may not live up to the hype. It may also fail commercially and fade from the market. (Rather have an iPhone at a premium price than a Zune any day.)

Desire drove people to want to be first in line to buy the iPhone. Desire made the product worth $599 at its release; more to some who subsequently purchased it on eBay. You bought the iPhone because you wanted it. You answered the call of a desire, not a need. Even after a $200 price drop, the iPhone is still not a necessity. Again, great convenience and convergence, but not a necessity.

number9
Sep 6, 2007, 08:15 AM
Oh boo hoo. Apple doesn't owe you anything. The price of every Apple product will eventually come down (original iPod 5GB= $499, New nano with 8 GB= $199) as well as every cell phone on the market. Sure it was surprising that they did it this soon, but come on.

If you're crying foul over spending $599 instead of the $399, what's the big deal? If you're that desperate for a refund or compensation with free Leopard or iTunes credits, why the heck did you spend $599 on a phone to begin with? :rolleyes:

It's not Apple's fault you're over zealous, impatient, fanboys who HAD to have the iPhone before anyone else. I am an Apple fan boy too, and wanted the iPhone ASAP as well, but I wasn't as eager as all of you were to shell out 600 bucks right away. You bought the product because you wanted it, were happy with what it did, and because you didn't mind the price. It's your own fault.

Besides, if you bought it in the last 2 weeks, Apple's policies already say you get a refund. That's the only case that warrants any of you deserving anything back.

Apple isn't "acting like Microsoft" now, they're just acting like any other competitive company with a retail electronics product. It's called business; if you feel so violated, stop buying things right when they come out because you need them ooooohhh soo badly.

I suppose since the new car I bought in April as a 2007 model, which has since gained a few more standard options and a better financing rate, I should go ask for the difference back. Or maybe the 5.5G iPod with video my girlfriend bought me for my birthday/college grad in May... does apple owe us 50GB more because they just upgraded the $249 price point? Nope. :rolleyes:

MDiddy
Sep 6, 2007, 08:17 AM
I'm at exactly 30 days on an 8GB iPhone. Since day 1, my phone has exhibited the crashing problem that some have complained about. On average, it crashed out of Safari, Mail, & iPod 10-12 times a day. I went back to the Apple Store Michigan Ave where I bought it, and spoke to reps twice regarding my problem within my 14 return. I was assured it was a software glitch and that I just needed to 1) power cycle it, then 2) restore it. Didn't help.

After another week, I called Apple Support because the issue didn't go away. I spoke to a guy that told me they could send me a phone replacement for $29 or I could go back to the store to replace it. I went to the store SUNDAY to replace it. This was after an hour in the store and having to get a manager involved because at no point did anyone tell me I needed to have an appointment to see a genius. I got my new phone and haven't had a problem. Yet.

I've owned Apple products going back 15 years since the days of the Performa 450. I have a certain level of expectation or customer service and I've worked retail so I can even accept a certain level of incompetence. What I can't accept is ' That's technology ' . I totally understand why people who purchased their phones would be upset but this 33% reduction. Apple has never dropped the price of a new product that much that quickly. They can try to hide behind their 14 day policy, which in itself is not standard in the retail market. The fact is that the people they are hurting with this are the most diehard of Apple fans in most cases. If you bought your phone and the $200 doesn't bother you, great more power to you. It bothers me.

If you don't agree and you haven't purchased the phone, really just shut the hell up. This isn't your problem. 'I told you so ' and 'stop whining ' are just bs. You don't agree, move on. You're not going to change anyone's mind that this was unfair. Personally, I feel like I just got my phone Sunday given all the run around I've had. This $200 is just salt in the wound of a bad overall experience. A $200 Apple credit may be OK, but I didn't pay them with an MDiddy credit, so I want my scratch back.

atszyman
Sep 6, 2007, 08:29 AM
Another question:
Would you rather have had an update at the same price points (3G 8GB and 16GB for the 4GB and 8GB prices)?

At least with the price cut you still have the biggest/baddest iPhone and you've had it for x days of enjoyment before the price cut. At least you're still playing with the same tech and not a slower/smaller device.

Sure it came quick, but for any price cut there will be people who bought 15/30/68 days ago who won't be eligible for the new price, why should it make a difference when the product was launched?

bellis1
Sep 6, 2007, 08:36 AM
I feel like I got gouged for Apple and it's investors profit, and so did a lot of early adopters and loyal customers. The price drop really is unprecedented for Apple. If Apple wants to keep loyal customers, those willing to tolerate risk and some pain, they are going to have to do a better job then this. Their marketing spin by Jobs in USA today of "that's technology" is not the way to develop/keep loyalty. I guess it might not matter with a rapidly growing customer base, but you will also lose a lot of previous customers. Maybe even to the darkside. How's that going with porting OS X onto non mac hardware?

number9
Sep 6, 2007, 08:39 AM
Apple has never dropped the price of a new product that much that quickly. They can try to hide behind their 14 day policy, which in itself is not standard in the retail market. The fact is that the people they are hurting with this are the most diehard of Apple fans in most cases. If you bought your phone and the $200 doesn't bother you, great more power to you. It bothers me.

If you don't agree and you haven't purchased the phone, really just shut the hell up. This isn't your problem. 'I told you so ' and 'stop whining ' are just bs. You don't agree, move on. You're not going to change anyone's mind that this was unfair. Personally, I feel like I just got my phone Sunday given all the run around I've had. This $200 is just salt in the wound of a bad overall experience. A $200 Apple credit may be OK, but I didn't pay them with an MDiddy credit, so I want my scratch back.

You're right, Apple has never dropped the price of a product so quickly. Apple also has never been the new guy in an already well established, incredibly large, and incredibly competitive market like that of the cell/smart phone industry. It's not like the Mac line where you buy a computer, knowing Intel will come out with new chips every 6 months, but you're fine with the fact that you have a less "powerful" computer for the same price as a new one, since it does what you need it to. It's also not like the iPod, where you can almost pinpoint how often they will get updated, and also that the iPod is the overwhelming winner in the market; Apple doesn't need to play catch up for market share. With the iPhone, it does. It's a little tactic called gaging the market demand.

If all of you schmucks would buy the iphone at $599, then hey, imagine how many people would buy it at $399!! Its the same with any other cell phone, carrier-subsidized or not. You pay $300 at release for the newest cell phone, then 4 months later, with rebates and other discounts, they charge $150 or $200...its just how a phone stays competitive in a market with such a relatively short turn over period.

An you know what, I haven't purchased an iPhone, and yes, I think people should stop whining, but I'm not going to stop expressing my opinion because you aren't going to change your mind. I'm not going to change my mind, so are you going to stop expressing your opinion? Nope. And you're right, it isn't my problem, because I didn't run out and buy the phone right away, I waited and now look what I get: I get to pay $200 less than you did! I'm sorry that you're phone has been having problems, and that you've gotten the run around trying to deal with it (seriously), but that's just as likely to happen with someone who buys one at the new $399 price, so I really don't think this adds to your dilemma. Like I said before, I've paid for things at one price, only to have them drop in price or get new features added shortly thereafter, and yeah I was a little upset that I paid more/got less. But I dealt with it, because I CHOSE to buy the product/service when I did, no one made me.

I suppose in a couple months or however long it is before the iPhone gets another price cut or spec bump (it will, its a given down the road) we'll get people complaining that they paid $300 for the phone, and now it is x-amount of dollars less or has these features X, Y, and Z. :rolleyes:

joeconvert
Sep 6, 2007, 08:41 AM
Got my iPhone 8GB on Aug 14 at the Apple Store in Cambridge, MA. I called the 1-800 Apple line but gave up when I read that if you bought your iPhone from a store, you had to deal with the store. I called the Cambridge store around 4pm EST and was told that they cannot do anything for me if the "14 day policy" has passed. I said, "Look, I would even settle for store credit." No dice. I even called my credit card company for price protection... no dice there too (thanks Bank of America).

Then, I emailed a friend of mine who works for an Apple Store (not Cambridge). He told me: (1) go to the store; (2) ask for the store manager; and (3) tell them you want a price adjustment refund. Seemed simple enough, but after all I read on here, I didn't think it would work.

So, I went down to the Apple Store with receipt in hand. I initially spoke with a sales rep and asked for the manager. The rep told me he could try and help, so I told him my story and he asked me where did I hear about 'price adjustment policy', and I told him "I have a friend who works for Apple." At the point, he went and got the manager.

Long story short, the manager credited my card back $210 (5% tax in MA). I didn't want to settle for store credit, so I didn't even bring it up. I also heard the manager speaking to another "price adjustment" person saying on the phone "if you come in by Friday, I can take care of it." Then the manager did the same thing for the guy behind me.

I don't know if every Apple store is doing this. It seems like some are and some are not. Maybe it's up to the individual managers and/or stores.

I am still peeved that I had to waste an afternoon going through all this, but $200 dollars is nothing to sneeze at.

So don't give up. Go down to your local Apple Store and ask directly for the manager. And if you live in Boston, go to the Cambridge store!

From my local discussions you can get your money back if you purchased within the last 30 days.

number9
Sep 6, 2007, 08:45 AM
I may disagree with everyone thinking the price drop was unfair, but by no means do I frown upon actually getting the refund. If you can, thats great, I'd personally love the $200 back if I had bought one. It's just that if you can't, then thats life, so goes capitalism.

beelzeben
Sep 6, 2007, 09:04 AM
Welcome to the world of cell/mobile phones!

Look on the bright side, when it finally reaches Europe it will cost closer to the original $600 anyway... ;)

tkidBOSTON
Sep 6, 2007, 09:19 AM
I'm not going to get into whether or not apple screwed almost 1 million early adopting customers but I will say that as one of those 1 million, I do feel a bit screwed.

I think Apple pulling an Aperture and offering customers who bought a $600 iPhone a $200 (or heck, even a $100) gift card would go a long way in easing the hearts of its customers.
Heck, it'd even bring in some extra revenue as I'd put it towards a 160gb iPod Classic asap!

But I'm with AIMFIRE and DAFTUNION in saying that I'll deal with it. Its still sad for me and my wallet though.

jshbckr
Sep 6, 2007, 09:23 AM
It bothers me when people accuse early adopters, saying "you just HAD to have it before everyone else!"

That had NOTHING to do with my purchase. Apple had convinced me that the phone was worth $600. Obviously, they knew it was only worth $400, as they intended to drop the price.

When I bought the iPhone, I bought it on day one not to have it before everyone else, but to ensure that I would get the most value out of it.

Then this happened. This was no price drop, this was a price plummet. Not only that, but they knew about it before the iPhone even went on sale June 29th.

Now lets consider something:

When the original MacBook Pro was announced, they had set the specs and prices. Many people placed their orders. However, when it came time for the item to be shipped, to the surprise of all MacBook Pro purchasers, the product specs had been upgraded. Somewhere between the announcement and release, Apple upgraded the specs and everyone who preordered got the upgraded machine.

Now what if Apple would have kept that upgrade a secret, only to release it two months later and say "Yeah, we had it planned before you even bought the original."

Because that's what they just did to us.

rjmccorkle
Sep 6, 2007, 09:30 AM
no whining - but i don't care what people say about the depreciation rate of phones, apple has set a new standard for their depreciation rate and has announced a sort of BUYER BEWARE at this point. It's sad when the company that so many loyal customers comes to the decision to attempt to raise stock so much by a date and in the process shafts their initial investing consumers without a care. I think that Apple has officially reached Microsoft'ness in the fact that they have a product that they're willing to disregard their user who has brought them back into the market. We brought them back in, we can take them back out.

I mean talk about a severely overpriced product!

I understand I'm a small fry and nothing can be done when it's just one person, but I am not alone in this disappointment. I'm not mad, or upset, I'm severely disappointed in the marketing scheme they decided to enter. It IS based on principals and ethics when it comes to business, it's not "just business" because as soon as a company comes to that attitude, the cost goes from "it's nothing personal, it's just business" to NO STEVE JOBS!- it's nothing personal, sure, but what you failed to realize is that it's MY BUSINESS you're losing. And everyone else that you have shafted.

I've invested in apple products even this year and none over the term of their come back have depreciated this much this fast. Like I keep saying, my new Ford hasn't depreciated THIS FAST! THat's sad. I shoulda bought a zune except for the fact that microsoft ... well.. we'll leave it at that.

I don't care what they say their policy is, it comes down to Apple care, and I think at this point they need to switch their name to Apple (doesn't) care (that much anymore).

Fine, Apple's big, they're rich, but they can go stick it in verizon's corner because neither of them will see a penny out of my pocket!

Enjoy rolling in my $400 this Christmas, Steve. It won't happen again.

imac abuser
Sep 6, 2007, 09:31 AM
I have to say that if this price drop happened 3 month, 6 month, or a year later I wouldn't be upset. But come on, lets be reasonable, and Jobs smug replies in that article pissed me off. I love Apple, I recommend it to lots of people, I have switched a ton of people over. I have bought lots of products I would guess nearly 10,000 or more in the last 5 years. Atleast one computer a year, and don't know how many iPod products for myself, or gifts. To ruin all that over $200.00 doesn't make a lot of sence to me.

Of coarse I'll still buy Apple products, and enjoy them but will always have that ***** taste in my mouth. If Jobs is gonna be an a$$hole about it, I can easily "SWITCH" back.

Hey Jobs, weather you give the money back or not don't be a jerk about it. And step up, and do the right thing man.

P.S. You can open a billing dispute with your credit card company, and they might offer some type of Purchase Protection Plan. So check with them too.

Chris

chicagostars
Sep 6, 2007, 09:33 AM
I'm not going to get into whether or not apple screwed almost 1 million early adopting customers but I will say that as one of those 1 million, I do feel a bit screwed.

I think Apple pulling an Aperture and offering customers who bought a $600 iPhone a $200 (or heck, even a $100) gift card would go a long way in easing the hearts of its customers.
Heck, it'd even bring in some extra revenue as I'd put it towards a 160gb iPod Classic asap!

But I'm with AIMFIRE and DAFTUNION in saying that I'll deal with it. Its still sad for me and my wallet though.

Don't fully agree with the Aperture comparison as the mobile phone market is is a different and often ridiculously unforgiving beast, but I like your attitude. I think you represent the vast majority of people out there who bought the iPhone at a higher price, but aren't lighting up message boards with threats of lawsuits or never buying another Apple product. Sure you feel a bit let down and would love some sort of compensation, but thanks for your clear-headed statement.

Deefuzz
Sep 6, 2007, 09:34 AM
I bought an 8gig phone on day 1 and I full expect a credit of some kind...I am kind of shocked at alot of people's views on this.

I am kind of shocked at alot of peoples views on this as well, those who expect a refund. Apple owes you nothing.

I can understand being bummed about it, or hoping that there might be some sort of compensation for being an early adopter. But there are quite alot of people claiming they are "owed" something, and are honestly acting like children with this whole situation and it is absolutely absurd.

radiantm3
Sep 6, 2007, 09:39 AM
A lot of you guys just don't get it. I, like many, are fine with the price drop. Sure it came as a shock, but that's technology. A little extreme in this case, but it can happen. The reason we have the right to complain now is because there are many early adopters who ARE in fact getting refunds from apple. This isn't fair. Apple should have planned for this and made it clear too all the stores and support on the policy. A lot of us aren't pissed about the price drop itself. It's that some of us get a refund and others don't. That is what's not fair. If apple gave Joe Blow his money back, I want mine back too.

imac abuser
Sep 6, 2007, 09:41 AM
Hell yeah if some are getting it outside the 14 day policy why not all of us. If none where getting it I could live with it all be it stew in it for a few days.

mpuck972
Sep 6, 2007, 09:51 AM
My ears are starting to hurt, because the silence comming from Apple over this is deafning! Do they have to rent the Moscone center and get a big stage set up, and hire some B-level performer first?

Right or wrong, they need to come out and say what is what, and tell everyone what their policy is. The fact they have issued some refunds has totaly screwed any policy they have in place now.

I filed a price match claim with my bank card, and will get my refund that way, but the people that have no claim should at least be told something.

rfrankl
Sep 6, 2007, 09:53 AM
I called my AT&T store this morning and said I bought my iPhone less than 30 days ago (its about 25 days now) and I said what can we do about a price adjustment so I don't have to return it and rebuy it elsewhere. Girl said this is my name, and just come in with your receipt and we'll take care of the difference. Couldn't of been any easier. I am sure AT&T is getting bombarded.

suneohair
Sep 6, 2007, 09:55 AM
Hell yeah if some are getting it outside the 14 day policy why not all of us. If none where getting it I could live with it all be it stew in it for a few days.

Some are getting it because they are whining to the right people. Instead of questioning the pick-and-choose nature of the current policy. You should be questioning the people who know they are outside of the 14-day policy yet still attempting to get the refund. They know the policy yet they still want more.

My ears are starting to hurt, because the silence comming from Apple over this is deafning! Do they have to rent the Moscone center and get a big stage set up, and hire some B-level performer first?

Right or wrong, they need to come out and say what is what, and tell everyone what their policy is. The fact they have issued some refunds has totaly screwed any policy they have in place now.

I filed a price match claim with my bank card, and will get my refund that way, but the people that have no claim should at least be told something.

It is only 8am in CA. I doubt we see an announcement yet.

See my above post about the current policy. Just because some have received it because they are first class whiners doesn't mean Apple has to give it to all. The policy is there and you all know it. Yet you still whine and call to complain. That is the real problem here.

Also, I wonder if Apple changed the SKU of the iPhone to cover their butts from chargebacks.

aristobrat
Sep 6, 2007, 10:21 AM
The policy is there and you all know it. Yet you still whine and call to complain. That is the real problem here.
Perhaps they were taking the advice that you gave in the other thread about MBP yellow screens. Apple has policies on what hardware qualifies for defect and what hardware doesn't. That apparently doesn't stop you from calling and complaining when you don't agree with the Apple policy. If iPhone folks don't agree with the policy that Apple has on refunds, what's the difference?

Some of you people are way too passive. You let a company walk all over you. Does Apple want to replace my product? Probably not, they are a business like every other business and they want to make money. Am I going to make Apple replace my product if I feel that it is necessary? You better believe it. Consumer rights are there for a reason. You don't have to live with a defective product. There are avenues to take when dealing with companies to get what you deserve. Your inability to do that speaks volumes as to why you are frustrated and ultimately get pissed on.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4124293&postcount=7

imac abuser
Sep 6, 2007, 10:24 AM
Well I just got off the phone with AT&T Store, and they basically told me no. Forget about getting a refund, the credit card companies are your only hope for getting our money back.

Nemesis90
Sep 6, 2007, 10:27 AM
I was one of the lucky purchasers of the iPhone 15 days ago. So, yes, I'm upset. My attempts at a refund thus far are unsuccessful.

I could easily make up the $200 by getting all my future Apple software from bittorrents (iLife, iWork, Leopard), but that still wouldn't take away the bad taste this experience has left me with.

And to all those that say "that's just how the cell phone industry works", then explain to me why there aren't massive rebates on the iPhone in the first place like the rest of the industry.

Think I'm still going to be recommending the iPhone to my friends? Heck no. I've gone to actively telling people not to buy it, even at the cheaper price. Who knows what's coming next (3G?), and I wouldn't want to see other people screwed over. Wait until it has rebates or the other manufacturers have phones nearly as good.

imac abuser
Sep 6, 2007, 10:34 AM
I was one of the lucky purchasers of the iPhone 15 days ago. So, yes, I'm upset. My attempts at a refund thus far are unsuccessful.

I could easily make up the $200 by getting all my future Apple software from bittorrents (iLife, iWork, Leopard), but that still wouldn't take away the bad taste this experience has left me with.

And to all those that say "that's just how the cell phone industry works", then explain to me why there aren't massive rebates on the iPhone in the first place like the rest of the industry.

Think I'm still going to be recommending the iPhone to my friends? Heck no. I've gone to actively telling people not to buy it, even at the cheaper price. Who knows what's coming next (3G?), and I wouldn't want to see other people screwed over. Wait until it has rebates or the other manufacturers have phones nearly as good.

I totally agree man, it's a Shi*y state of affairs to ruin your business over $200.00 and with the updates of coarse they want you to download itunes to your phone jesus how about atleast giving us iChat SMS sucks, and costs people money unless they have a 40 plan they had to buy to use their over priced (obviously by the price drop) iPhone

LimeiBook86
Sep 6, 2007, 10:35 AM
Well I just got off the phone with AT&T Store, and they basically told me no. Forget about getting a refund, the credit card companies are your only hope for getting our money back.

Ouch. :( That doesn't give me much hope. Oh well, I'll wait around to see if my iPhone will magically gain 4 GB more of space...

...wait! ...wait!

Nope... just gas. :p

Cybergypsy
Sep 6, 2007, 10:40 AM
Watching ebay and people are still paying 500+ for them...LOL

Kedrik
Sep 6, 2007, 10:42 AM
I was just on hold for 45 min with Apple customer service, but while I was waiting I downloaded AT&T return policy and found out that I'm in luck. They have a 30 day no questions asked return or exchange policy on all wireless devices. I am at 20 days on a 4Gig i-phone bought through AT&T. I'm hoping that a trip to the store with the printed policy will enable me to trade for an 8 Gig and get $100 back. Let's see if they uphold their printed policy.

I'll let you know.

mikegoldnj
Sep 6, 2007, 10:57 AM

Or, if they had not planned this price drop at, or prior to, launch, as reported in the New York Times.

tbrinkma
Sep 6, 2007, 11:00 AM
Apple products don't typically get a 30% price cut 2 months after launch. For the last 3 years I've been buying 15" notebooks from Apple, they've always had a base model at $1999. New one comes out a few months later with better specs, my model depreciates, but the price of the new model remains the same.

True, a 30% price drop from Apple in 2 months is unusual to say the least. However, for the last 3 years, 15" notebooks have not remained the same. You say the base model is always $1999, and that's true. However, today's base model is yesterday's top-of-the-line model, so obviously the price on any given model of 15" Apple notebook *does* fall.

And, as others have pointed out, this kind of price drop *isn't* terribly unusual in the cell-phone industry. It doesn't happen in the computer industry, because margins are razor-thin to begin with.

jshbckr
Sep 6, 2007, 11:03 AM
I think the report in the New York Times about it being planed "long ago" is the deal breaker. They intentionally kept the price high. They deceived us. They convinced us a $400 device, that they intended to sell for $400, was worth $600.

I've called Apple support, they told me to call the retail store, I was hung up on. I called back Apple support. This is the worst Apple support I've seen. Looks like Apple may be taking a turn for the worse.

danny_w
Sep 6, 2007, 11:06 AM
I was just on hold for 45 min with Apple customer service, but while I was waiting I downloaded AT&T return policy and found out that I'm in luck. They have a 30 day no questions asked return or exchange policy on all wireless devices. I am at 20 days on a 4Gig i-phone bought through AT&T. I'm hoping that a trip to the store with the printed policy will enable me to trade for an 8 Gig and get $100 back. Let's see if they uphold their printed policy.

I'll let you know.
Unfortunately I don't think that applies here:

Apple Branded Equipment is covered by a 14-day return policy and must be returned to the original point of purchase (AT&T store where purchased, Apple store where purchased or Apple online).

KittyToy
Sep 6, 2007, 11:11 AM

Call them back and ask for a credit on your wireless account and I suggest you try to get a lady; they tend to be more sympathetic. They told me no on a refund but when I asked for a credit on my wireless account they gladly did that. And it helps if you sound sad:( and disappointed when u call:D

henjin
Sep 6, 2007, 11:23 AM

I agree but Apple if it wants to be a cell phone player needs to allow AT&T to offer industry norm 31 day try or return at the moment Jobs wants to still be Apple and screw customers down to a miserly 14 day window.

14 days is o.k. for ipods or imacs but for cell phones it's dreadful.

Jobs made a big mistake, not in cutting prices but announcing the price cut as if it were as big a deal as the new ipod line. All it was, simply an admission to the world that Apple was not going to meet its own sales target.

He should have announced the price cut last week with a standard 31 day return policy. That would be in line with technology biz models as it is today.

atari1356
Sep 6, 2007, 11:25 AM
Desire drove people to want to be first in line to buy the iPhone. Desire made the product worth $599 at its release; more to some who subsequently purchased it on eBay. You bought the iPhone because you wanted it. You answered the call of a desire, not a need. Even after a $200 price drop, the iPhone is still not a necessity. Again, great convenience and convergence, but not a necessity.

Exactly... I didn't buy the iPhone at $599 and I won't at $399 either. If $200 means so much to the people complaining, then why did they spend a whopping $600 to begin with?

I was an early adopter with the iPod, and bought the 1st gen 5Gb model for $399. That was a lot of money, but I happily bought it knowing that it would serve me for quite some time. In fact, I still use it and haven't upgraded to a newer model (aside from a 1 gig shuffle). Technology advances quickly and it's impossible to keep up - so, you have to buy knowing that what you get will quickly be obsolete (or drop in value).

Your $600 iPhone is just as useful as it was the day you bought it. Over the course of the 2-3 years (possibly more) that you'll use it - $200 is nothing. Then when you decide you want to upgrade to a new model, be grateful that it's $399 and not $599.

kjez100
Sep 6, 2007, 11:34 AM
I bought my 8gb on launch day at an AT&T store. Has anybody had any luck getting anytype of credit or money back from AT&T?? Apple care told me they wouldn't be able to help because I bought it from AT&T. AT&T told me I was out of luck.

imac abuser
Sep 6, 2007, 11:35 AM
Well I just called AT&T Customer Service they aren't doing a damn thing if your out of that 14 day policy. I'm getting the feeling that we are hosed. Hiding behind that 14 day policy YOU F*&%ING A$$&O7ES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I'm frustrated!

shrimpdesign
Sep 6, 2007, 11:41 AM
Your $600 iPhone is just as useful as it was the day you bought it. Over the course of the 2-3 years (possibly more) that you'll use it - $200 is nothing. Then when you decide you want to upgrade to a new model, be grateful that it's $399 and not $599.

Not to mention that Apple has committed to giving free software updates, and adding new features for free.

rdbarnes
Sep 6, 2007, 11:43 AM
It sounds like if you if you're out of the 10 day period and haven't already called Apple Store, you may be too late, but I wanted to chime in with my experience.

13 days ago, I bought the $399 4GB refurbished, but it didn't arrive until last week. I called Apple Store and they told my I didn't qualify for Price Protection because: 1) doesn't apply to refurbished items and 2) their price match is only 10 days.

I asked to return the phone and buy a new 4GB for $100 less and they told me to hold and came back and offered $150 back! Like other's experiences it did cost me over an hour on the phone.

You can't blame Apple too much for dropping the price now that the early adopters already bought the phone, but if you are like me and just bought one, it is worth a call. All you have to lose is an hour spent listing to Apple's hold music.

MacPhilosopher
Sep 6, 2007, 11:50 AM
The precedent has been set with what they did with Aperture. I sure hope they do this. Even if it is $100 it would show they care about their early adopters and the people who probably care the most about Apple.

If these are the people who care most about Apple, then why do they want their money back?

jeeb75
Sep 6, 2007, 12:00 PM
I will get my $200 from Apple myself. Thank you Bittorrent. FU Apple.

lawcomic
Sep 6, 2007, 12:01 PM
At this point, Apple apologists sound like clueless spouses in an abusive marriage.

"Apple don't mean to hurt us, and it usually gives us nice things. It's my fault it screwed me over."

maccies
Sep 6, 2007, 12:03 PM
PLEASE CALL THEM OR EMAIL THEM ABOUT HOW DISSAPPOINTED YOU ARE ABOUT THE PRICE DROP. LET THEM KNOW, THEY MIGHT DO SOMETHING BUT IF WE JUST BLOG AND DON'T DO ANYTHING NOTHING WILL HAPPEn!

Thanks,

iLunar
Sep 6, 2007, 12:04 PM
Not to mention that Apple has committed to giving free software updates, and adding new features for free.

Like ringtones that cost an additional $.99 from song you've ALREADY purchased? Yeah, I get it, its because of the evil record companies that Apple is tied. They seem to be hiding behind a lot of excuses of other people lately, no?

Rowsella
Sep 6, 2007, 12:08 PM
Yes, I bought an iphone for my birthday on 8/7. Yes, it was a lot of money but after playing with it at the Apple Store I really really wanted one and I checked with AT&T and found out it was only about $20 more on my plan... what*the hell. I was really enjoying my customer experience. Now, not so much as I am currently getting calls from family and friends who are enjoying quite a bit of shadenfruede at my expense. Hell, I can't even turn on the radio.

Perhaps I should have opted for the fraxel laser treatment at my dermatologist's instead.

Still, the phone is pretty cool. And since the polish is off on buying an iphone, and the outlook is bleak on any store credit price guarantee.... I've decided to make it a Gucci (or blank designer-- whatever) iphone by pirating the copyrighted trademark and printing out in miniature... it can fit over the Apple insignia on the back of my phone. No one else will have one.

Conversely I can get a sharpie and make a black dot iphone a la adbusters.

Of course, now that it is so easily obtainable, I will not be giving anyone free demos or talking up the features. They can go to the Apple store and let the geniuses there earn their wages.

As an activist consumer, I'll go and cancel my Mac account along with my Sam's Club membership.

Oh, and live and learn, no more technology younger than a year for me, including Apple's.

Thanks Steve for the wake up, nothing personal you know, just business.

maccies
Sep 6, 2007, 12:10 PM
Give me a freaking break, this has nothing to do with technology advancing quickly all you know it alls. It's about keep the investors happy and money. Steve Jobs is just being nervous and GREDDY. He want to make the investors happy, which means we the customers suffer. I've seen this at another huge company I used to work for. Meet the stock quotes and investor interests. Apple has gone down the rabbit trail of no return. Apple used to stand for something cool, rebelious and awesome products. Now its all about money and stocks and investors, I think it's time to find another still COOL company to support. Apple has been waterdowned and become diluted from it's original course. It's become part of the big wheel it originaly was rebelling against. SAD

AJsAWiz
Sep 6, 2007, 12:14 PM
As one who waited in line to spend $600, I felt the iPhone had value at this price, or I wouldn't have purchased it. Simple enough.

From a business standpoint, however, Apple should be concerned about the ill-will it creates with this price-correction, due more to supply and demand than commodity pricing of its components. The early-adopters will likely think twice about jumping in early for any future, premium-priced item. Not exactly what Wall Street wants, nor its shareholders.

I'm fine with the new, lower price, but the pricing of Aperture may offer a clue to what Apple does. And I think Apple was right to offer a store credit to its faithful. I am not expecting a credit, but history has shown Apple to be mighty protective of its goodwill w/customers. Perception is reality, and a smart Company doesn't want its customers feeling they paid too much (for whatever reason).

I agree with your 2 cents ;)

Apple should, indeed, be concerned about creating ill will with the "faster than a speeding bullet" iPhone price drop. I'll just consider this a $20 lesson and won't have to think twice before jumping on the Early Adopter Band Wagon again. Simply, put I won't be one of them :o

maccies
Sep 6, 2007, 12:23 PM
come On Stop All This Chatter And Call Apple And Att And Complain, Them Them Know You Are Pissed And Let Your Voice Be Heard, They Have To Know 'we' Are Not Satisfied And Won't Just Quietly Suck It Up Wimpering In The Corner. Stand Up For The Cause. I'm Starting A Site Called Maccies.com, I Will Update Shortly. Go Check It Out

Divindude
Sep 6, 2007, 12:23 PM
Well, maybe I need to pack up and return the new iMac I just bought this weekend ... yah, it'll cost me $150 because I 'opened' it, but hey, I'll get the rest of my $1700 back ... hey Steve, that's just how technology works!!!

iLunar
Sep 6, 2007, 12:26 PM
Retracted, Steve did a the right thing :)

oogje
Sep 6, 2007, 12:28 PM
...Thanks Steve for the wake up, nothing personal you know, just business.

Are you in the business of cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Polcat
Sep 6, 2007, 12:30 PM
Way to take advantage of your most loyal customers Apple.

helpinghand
Sep 6, 2007, 12:31 PM
Already giving refunds for the last 30 days. They seem to work with you even up until October 1st.

Look for a story tomorrow in USA Today on customer reaction to the price drop.

MovieCutter
Sep 6, 2007, 12:42 PM
Way to take advantage of your most loyal customers Apple.

Get over yourself. Apple made a killer breakthrough product that people were more than willing to pay $600 for on September 4th. Now Apple is taking advantage of their customers? :rolleyes:

odedia
Sep 6, 2007, 12:56 PM
I got my refund today :D

I bought 2 devices, 8 days ago and 6 days ago. So they refunded me at the AT&T store.

It's so much fun, being willing to pay 600$ for something, and then getting it for just 400$ :D.

Oded S.

NewSc2
Sep 6, 2007, 01:00 PM
Already giving refunds for the last 30 days. They seem to work with you even up until October 1st.

Look for a story tomorrow in USA Today on customer reaction to the price drop.

who did you hear that from? yesterday AT&T told me 14 days.

helpinghand
Sep 6, 2007, 01:07 PM
who did you hear that from? yesterday AT&T told me 14 days.

Talked to them an hour ago. Sounded like they changed it from yesterday and it's fluid enough that the may even change it again to go outside of 30 days

It's not the point about being able to afford $600. If it was $400 going to $200, I am sure everyone would feel the same.

It's all about how Apple is reacting. Instead of Steve saying, "That's just how technology works." to USA Today yesterday, it seems to me that he should want to take care of his first and most loyal one million customers. Maybe even via a $200 apple gift card. The impact on Apple of $200 Million would be less than a $100 Million considering their costs and markup. (Think headsets, OSX upgrades, etc) To me, it's a small price to pay for customer satisfaction.

NewSc2
Sep 6, 2007, 01:09 PM
Talked to them an hour ago. Sounded like they changed it from yesterday and it's fluid enough that the may even change it again to go outside of 30 days

did you call your store or 611? I'll try right now... purchased mines 20 days ago :( (from an AT&T store)

LimeiBook86
Sep 6, 2007, 01:09 PM

Oh really? Maybe I should actually give them a call then. :) Thanks for the info ;)

By the way, what did you guys tell AT&T when you were on the phone? Just wondering how they react. Got mine on the 1st day, but I can still hope... :p

atszyman
Sep 6, 2007, 01:18 PM
I wonder if any of those most vocal about getting "their $200" back also stood in line in November and bought a PS3 to put up on eBay for profit. Did you refund the difference to your buyer when the systems became available to everyone?

buymeaniphone
Sep 6, 2007, 01:21 PM

Yeah, but we didn't think it would happen 2 MONTHS down the road! I can't believe Apple would just discontinue a model that quickly. They could at least offer some type of credit for the apple store or something. This will definitely be the last time I buy an Apple Product at launch. I realize everything drops down in price and gets replaced by something bigger and better, but its usually 6 months at the earliest. My iPhone still has that "New Cellphone Smell" :cool:

ibwb
Sep 6, 2007, 01:22 PM
I agree with your 2 cents ;)

Apple should, indeed, be concerned about creating ill will with the "faster than a speeding bullet" iPhone price drop. I'll just consider this a $20 lesson and won't have to think twice before jumping on the Early Adopter Band Wagon again. Simply, put I won't be one of them :o

Honestly, I think the ill will is more limited in the real world than it appears on blogs. Most people who bought the phone don't pay much attention to pricing changes in products they already own. Furthemore, the people who already bought the phone complaining about the price drop will make more people who DIDN'T buy at $600 aware that the price has changed -- submarine marketing if I ever saw it.

The whole thing is irrational anyway. Everyone seems to agree that a price drop is OK but that this one was "too fast". As a day-1 purchaser, I'm not sure what advantage would be conferred to me personally if Apple had waited another month or another year to drop the price. In fact, it seems that the price drop now is an advantage overall, since if more people buy the iPhone there will be more support for the device from Apple and other parties.

atszyman
Sep 6, 2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah, but we didn't think it would happen 2 MONTHS down the road! I can't believe Apple would just discontinue a model that quickly. They could at least offer some type of credit for the apple store or something. This will definitely be the last time I buy an Apple Product at launch. I realize everything drops down in price and gets replaced by something bigger and better, but its usually 6 months at the earliest. My iPhone still has that "New Cellphone Smell" :cool:

Not buying at launch does nothing for you. How long do you wait? 2 months, 4 months, 6 months? What's preventing them from upgrading/price reductions 2 weeks after you buy then?

iLunar
Sep 6, 2007, 01:31 PM
Apple basically meant to sell the iPhone at an inflated cost to their loyal customers. Its as simple as that. The idea, then, that these customers shouldn't feel put-off is a bit ridiculous. The iPhone didn't suddenly drop in price because of production or parts cost, it dropped in price because Apple is done squeezing every last cent out of the initial purchasers.

If one can't understand why initial purchasers would be frustrated, pissed, angry at Apple, I don't know what else to say. Apple did take advantage of initial hype.

Good business? Most definitely. Good PR/customer care? Definitely not.

williedigital
Sep 6, 2007, 01:34 PM
Not buying at launch does nothing for you. How long do you wait? 2 months, 4 months, 6 months? What's preventing them from upgrading/price reductions 2 weeks after you buy then?

Exactly.

For all you people freaking out, what period of time should they have waited? If they waited until after Halloween, or until Macworld 08, would you have been fine with it? What if they drop was $300 at that time? Basically, what depreciation rate would you be happy with?

And for all you "this is just business" types, would your stance be any different if they had done this at the end of July, or a week after the phone's release?

oogje
Sep 6, 2007, 01:37 PM
Honestly, I think the ill will is more limited in the real world than it appears on blogs.

I dunno. My mom just phoned me out of the blue to ask if I knew about the price reduction. Yes mom, I just read 2,000 posts from people about it. So she wants to know what I'm going to do since I "just" bought two. I'm not going to do anything mom, I didn't "just" buy them, I got them in June. I think it's great that people can buy the phone for less now. She thinks I'm nuts. Sheez, parents...

ChrisA
Sep 6, 2007, 01:37 PM
Everyone who bought one of these iPhone signed up for a contract. That contract had a four digit price tag on it. Seems petty that people who though nothing of paysing $1000 a year just so that can talk on a cell phone complain about $200. Pocket change The price of the phone is nothing compared to the contract for air time

Now if the typical buyer were not a member of such an afluent group it would be different but these are all people with large amounts of disposable income.

NewSc2
Sep 6, 2007, 01:41 PM
Everyone who bought one of these iPhone signed up for a contract. That contract had a four digit price tag on it. Seems petty that people who though nothing of paysing $1000 a year just so that can talk on a cell phone complain about $200. Pocket change The price of the phone is nothing compared to the contract for air time

Now if the typical buyer were not a member of such an afluent group it would be different but these are all people with large amounts of disposable income.

Everybody pays about that much for a cell phone (~$60), and it seems like most people these days have cell phones anyway. If you draw out a $15/month charge it's not that much but $200 at one time is a lot more for some people. It's not like I would pay $80/mo. for a cell phone plan if I could get by with $60/mo. I figured the extra $20/mo. was worth it for unlimited internet on a cell phone, which it is. Was having the iPhone an extra 3 weeks worth $70/week? No.

I still don't know why people want to come in and say that we shouldn't be feeling ripped off. I'm sure if you had bought an iPhone 16 days ago you would feel the same way too.

MovieCutter
Sep 6, 2007, 01:45 PM
Everybody pays about that much for a cell phone (~$60), and it seems like most people these days have cell phones anyway. If you draw out a $15/month charge it's not that much but $200 at one time is a lot more for some people.

You've gotta be kidding me. You're willing to drop $600 "at one time" for an iPhone, but a price drop of $200 "at one time" is going over some line?

ibwb
Sep 6, 2007, 01:46 PM
Apple basically meant to sell the iPhone at an inflated cost to their loyal customers. Its as simple as that. The idea, then, that these customers shouldn't feel put-off is a bit ridiculous. The iPhone didn't suddenly drop in price because of production or parts cost, it dropped in price because Apple is done squeezing every last cent out of the initial purchasers.

If one can't understand why initial purchasers would be frustrated, pissed, angry at Apple, I don't know what else to say. Apple did take advantage of initial hype.

Good business? Most definitely. Good PR/customer care? Definitely not.

Early adopters shouldn't feel put-off because the price drop does not cost them any money. Simple as that.

Again, where is the cut-off? If a price drop a year after I purchase is OK, why should I be perplexed about a price drop a month after purchase? The end result to me is exactly the same.

I understand the emotional component, as emotional analysis tends to be based on comparisons of counterfactual scenarios, but you can't seriously tell me that a corporation's price strategy should be based on how people "feel" about it. I purchased at $600 for a reason, after careful analysis, and none of the numbers in that analysis have changed.

Don't be afraid of a corporation when they act to maximize profits. Profits are what make cool products like the iPhone possible.

unconcious
Sep 6, 2007, 01:53 PM
whinners whinners OMG a nation of cry babies.... I waited in line for how many hours it be and didn't get the damn phone until the next day and I bought the 8G to that and don't regreat a single minute of it. Actually the price drop is better if God forbid I screw up my phone for some reason.

;) :apple:

helpinghand
Sep 6, 2007, 01:53 PM
If you used an Amex card, it looks like they are going to honor the price protection on this. Many people have called and expect the rebate from Amex.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1117579&tstart=0

Read the entire thread... Amex members are having luck getting a refund.

williedigital
Sep 6, 2007, 01:55 PM
I understand the emotional component, as emotional analysis tends to be based on comparisons of counterfactual scenarios, but you can't seriously tell me that a corporation's price strategy should be based on how people "feel" about it.

To be fair though, businesses do base some of their pricing structure on emotional components. Product development and marketing are far more complex than finding some point on a supply/demand curve. For example, restaurants will price menu items that they know not many people will order (some weird octopus soup) at a very high price simply so that they can raise the price on items which people are more likely to order (fried calimari, or shrimp pasta) and make even larger margins on those items. The same goes for fashion labels that continue to produce very high end items (and make virtually nothing on them) so that people will feel like they are getting a deal on a mass produced Calvin Klein shirt and twice the price of the unbranded item.

NewSc2
Sep 6, 2007, 01:55 PM
You've gotta be kidding me. You're willing to drop $600 "at one time" for an iPhone, but a price drop of $200 "at one time" is going over some line?

Yes, it is. I could have re-sold my iPhone on eBay as "barely used" for probably around $450 or so, before the price drop, but now I'd be lucky to get $300. So Apple's price drop took away a lot of value in something I purchased.

NewSc2
Sep 6, 2007, 01:57 PM
whinners whinners OMG a nation of cry babies.... I waited in line for how many hours it be and didn't get the damn phone until the next day and I bought the 8G to that and don't regreat a single minute of it. Actually the price drop is better if God forbid I screw up my phone for some reason.

;) :apple:

Seriously, if I bought my iPhone on launch day I wouldn't be very pissed at all. But I bought mines 3 weeks ago, so I feel a bit slighted that I was a few days away from the 14-day refund policy.

err404
Sep 6, 2007, 01:58 PM
I feel that the short time frame leading up to the price-cut shows that it must have been know at the time of initial release. The original price was a deliberate and dishonest attempt to cash-in the media hype. This action lowers my opinion of Apple to being on-par with that of e-bay scalpers.

SthrnCmfrtr
Sep 6, 2007, 02:00 PM
I think most people feel a bit like Steve Wozniak probably did when he found out that Jobs didn't share the Breakout bonus with him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakout#History_and_development

sketchy
Sep 6, 2007, 02:11 PM
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/

100 dollars per phone --

maniacmedia
Sep 6, 2007, 02:12 PM
Just posted to the Apple front page...

To all iPhone customers:

I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset about Apple dropping the price of iPhone by $200 two months after it went on sale. After reading every one of these emails, I have some observations and conclusions.

First, I am sure that we are making the correct decision to lower the price of the 8GB iPhone from $599 to $399, and that now is the right time to do it. iPhone is a breakthrough product, and we have the chance to 'go for it' this holiday season. iPhone is so far ahead of the competition, and now it will be affordable by even more customers. It benefits both Apple and every iPhone user to get as many new customers as possible in the iPhone 'tent'. We strongly believe the $399 price will help us do just that this holiday season.

Second, being in technology for 30+ years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.

Third, even though we are making the right decision to lower the price of iPhone, and even though the technology road is bumpy, we need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price. Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these.

Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.

Steve Jobs
Apple CEO

seashellz
Sep 6, 2007, 02:13 PM
I dont know how many iPhones have sold, but the number outside of 2 weeks x $100.00 refund would cripple the company.

But APPLE really stepped in the doo-doo: now this is the fodder of newscasts of hopping mad buyers, and probably jokes on Leno and Letterman.

Not sure what they should have done, except discontinue the 4gb, and wait a few months to lower the price on the 8gb-they wold have made more money, and had few if any complains.

those who bought the first HD players had to pay $1000 or more- a few months later you can get the HD version, at least for under $200

DTphonehome
Sep 6, 2007, 02:19 PM
Just posted to the Apple front page...

To all iPhone customers:
[snip]
...Steve Jobs
Apple CEO

Wow, good for them! That should make 90% of people feel better...the rest are going to want Steve to personally deliver a $200 gold coin to their doorstep.

Insatiable
Sep 6, 2007, 02:23 PM
I purchased two iPhones with AmEx, and this morning a call to the company verified that I will be credited $400+ sales tax within 24 hours. Thank you, AmEx!!!

rdbarnes
Sep 6, 2007, 02:28 PM
I dont know how many iPhones have sold, but the number outside of 2 weeks x $100.00 refund would cripple the company.

Uh, we're only talking about a few hundred thousand phones here. That's a few tens of millions of dollars in store credit which goes back to Apple anyway. Call it a marketing expense.

I think Steve Jobs did the best possible thing. It's not a total reversal of the price protection policy but it'll keep his best customers happy and that is why people are Apple customers to begin with...Apple products make them happy.

wyuenho
Sep 6, 2007, 02:29 PM
If you are angry, you can join this Facebook group:

http://bu.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5919246108

chrissurra
Sep 6, 2007, 02:31 PM

No it wont, it will increase revenue. They arent giving cash they are giving a store credit. They didnt have to do anything this proves again what a good company apple is.

I will use the credit towards the purchase of Leopard.

err404
Sep 6, 2007, 02:41 PM
This a fair peace offering and I'm glad Apple stepped up the plate on this. Also, thank you to everyone who voiced their frustration to Apple to shed the deserved light on the subject.

lovemyiphone
Sep 6, 2007, 02:56 PM
This a fair peace offering and I'm glad Apple stepped up the plate on this. Also, thank you to everyone who voiced their frustration to Apple to shed the deserved light on the subject.

X2
I think this is very fair and I am satisfied with the in store credit. I may change my mind and consider Apple for my next purchase.

maniacmedia
Sep 6, 2007, 03:04 PM
Obviously, I can't speak for everyone. Yes, I'm annoyed that those who called yesterday got some satisfaction and those of us who called today didn't. But Apple has stepped up here and admitted their error in judgment. I appreciate that.

Since in many instances the store credit with either go unclaimed, or be used for something more expensive than the $100, the company will not really feel the pinch. But they will buy a whole lot of goodwill.

AJsAWiz
Sep 6, 2007, 04:05 PM
Well, I guess Steve changed his mind.:rolleyes:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/06/100.credit.to.iphone/

AJsAWiz
Sep 6, 2007, 04:20 PM
If you used an Amex card, it looks like they are going to honor the price protection on this. Many people have called and expect the rebate from Amex.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1117579&tstart=0

Read the entire thread... Amex members are having luck getting a refund.

Wow! Thanks! Worked for me :D

DaveClarkOne
Sep 6, 2007, 06:06 PM
Uh, It depends on which bank issues the AMEX card. Mine dropped the price protection coverage. Your mileage may vary.

I think Apple's response to this is RIGHT ON! Apple IS customer centric. Thanks Steve.

DRM4GOD
Sep 6, 2007, 06:26 PM
Hey guys, I just called Apple AND wrote to them, upon their suggestion, because I think we stand-in-line first day 8GB IPHONE owners should be given a $200 credit or refund, not just $100. $100 should be given for the now defunct 4GB version.

The price drop is 40% in only 10 weeks, which is a borderline scam. Technology costs drop in ever decreasing time frames, but let's be reasonable here. What's the last piece of technology you bought that dropped that fast? A pet rock? Who WOULDN'T have waited until now, had we known?

Make sure you post this demand everywhere, the more they see it, the more likely they'll honor it. Also let them know that if we don't get this restitution, that we will not be buying any future Apple products anywhere near their release date. We'll wait 10 weeks and save a fortune instead. Let's see how their stocks do for that 10 weeks. :mad:

DeuceDeuce
Sep 6, 2007, 06:31 PM
Hey guys, I just called Apple AND wrote to them, upon their suggestion, because I think we stand-in-line first day 8GB IPHONE owners should be given a $200 credit or refund, not just $100. $100 should be given for the now defunct 4GB version.

The price drop is 40% in only 10 weeks, which is a borderline scam. Technology costs drop in ever decreasing time frames, but let's be reasonable here. What's the last piece of technology you bought that dropped that fast? A pet rock? Who WOULDN'T have waited until now, had we known?

Make sure you post this demand everywhere, the more they see it, the more likely they'll honor it. Also let them know that if we don't get this restitution, that we will not be buying any future Apple products anywhere near their release date. We'll wait 10 weeks and save a fortune instead. Let's see how their stocks do for that 10 weeks. :mad:

WOW! They dont owe you a damn thing. Be glad you are getting $100 store credit and move on.

AJsAWiz
Sep 6, 2007, 06:40 PM
WOW! They dont owe you a damn thing. Be glad you are getting $100 store credit and move on.

Funny! :p

MacFyffe
Sep 6, 2007, 07:04 PM
I accidently purchased two iPhone (what I mean to say is that I forgot to cancel my direct fulfill). Apple and AT&T at every point has refused to take this phone back. It is absolutely in mint unopened condition, even still in the original box it was shipped in. But because my life is as busy as everyone else's and I let more than 14 days go buy neither Apple nor AT&T will help out this long term Apple customer and fan.

That means that I am now stuck with an extra unopened phone that isn't even worth what I paid for it. I have tried to sell the iPhone on eBay to try to at least recover some funds twice now, but iPhones on eBay are wrought with fraud and three attempts to sell now have each been fraudulant buyers in spite of the many settings and protections that eBay has in place. One was a scam from a buyer wanting it shipped to Africa and another was a person who did not pay because she claimed that she received conflicting emails from eBay about the end of the auction.

And now I am guaranteed to loose at least $200 even if I am able to successfully sell this thing!

I love my iPhone, it is one of the best purchases I have ever made even at $600 dollars, but like it or not I have a hard time controlling my frustration over the fact that what it turns out that I could have had for $399 has now cost me over $1200!

Anyone want to call :apple: for me and help me plead my case? ;)

macfyffe@mac.com

oogje
Sep 6, 2007, 07:13 PM
...Who WOULDN'T have waited until now, had we known?...

I wouldn't have waited. Life's too short.

vitasenza
Sep 7, 2007, 04:42 AM
I personally wasn't too upset when I heard about the pirce drop, and now the $100.00 store credit will probably take away any ill feelings I had on the subject.
I am kind of stuck with a hard decission now though. I bought a 4gb Iphone cause I figured that would be enough for me, but now that the 8gb is less than I paid for my 4gb I was thinking of buying one of those with the store credit and selling my 4gb to a friend for a cheep price. That being said, I'm affraid now that they will put out a 16gb modle for $499 that will match the ipod touch's 16 gb. It couldn't be that far fetched for apple to do that, or do you suppose all the phone/camera components take up too much extra space.

Oh well, I guess I'll just wait a few months, nothing wrong with my 4gb phone and it's still not full (although if I put one more movie on there it would be)

I suppose if they do come out with a 16gb iPhone for $499 that it'll cause even more of an uproar among the 8gb iphone owners.

Time will tell I guess.

ichii
Sep 7, 2007, 06:57 AM
How would we get the store credit, would it be through iTune? My brother and I got the iPhone at AT&T store.

JMD123
Sep 7, 2007, 11:01 AM

They should have dropped the price 50 bucks and and than another 50 bucks in 1.5 months and so on.

This has really put a bad taste in peoples mouths toward apple.

You know what this tells you is that the cost on these products are really low. They should have never sold them for 600 bucks.

You know why apples products are so good. They have to be with the way they treat their customers.

Floris
Sep 7, 2007, 11:03 AM
Thankfully I am not from the US (no offense) but .. otherwise I'd have bought it to find out it is now cheaper. And .. paying in Euro's I already pay more then US people. This price cut is very happy news for me, sorry for everybody who bought it and feel 'damnit!' right now. (feel, eh .. think)

weblogik
Sep 7, 2007, 01:22 PM
Im surprised people are no FURIOUS about this.

I bought a 4gig iphone 30 days ago...
$499
when i called apple store they said that they would issue me a $100 credit and that my 4 gig phone had been discontinued...
TOTAL ********. Discontinuing a phone after 2 months of its release just says FAILURE and poor planning / strategy all over it.

Anyways I told the lady that wasnt going to happen and I kicked and screamed until she agreed to swap out my 4 gig for an 8gig AND gave me a $100 refund on my credit card
DONT LET THEM DO THIS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt even care about 8 gig vs 4 gig or I would have bought the 8 gig to begin with IT'S THE PRINCIPLE.

I have 6k saved for my first mac pro workstation and this has left a real ****** taste in my mouth, taste like pooh!

MovieCutter
Sep 7, 2007, 02:19 PM
I have 6k saved for my first mac pro workstation and this has left a real ****** taste in my mouth, taste like pooh!

Then you should have a mint, get over yourself and move on with your life...

plumbingandtech
Sep 7, 2007, 02:38 PM
Im surprised people are no FURIOUS about this.

I'm surprised so many are. Did these same people _behave_ the same way when a different company dropped their price?

But you will still buy the mac pro.

weblogik
Sep 7, 2007, 02:39 PM
Then you should have a mint, get over yourself and move on with your life...

lol
you completely missed the point, fanboy.

weblogik
Sep 7, 2007, 02:41 PM
But you will still buy the mac pro.

The retarded thing is, I would have still bought the mac pro if I didnt get this situation resolved on my iphone. :confused::confused:

Point of my story was, don't bend over and take it in the rear, speak up , and demand they take back their discontinued product they just sold you, and make them give you the 8 gig. If you make enough of a big deal, they will do it.

weblogik
Sep 7, 2007, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=plumbingandtech;4149019]I'm surprised so many are. Did these same people _behave_ the same way when a different company dropped their price?

How many companies drop the price of of a product 30% 60 days after its release?

plumbingandtech
Sep 7, 2007, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=plumbingandtech;4149019]I'm surprised so many are. Did these same people _behave_ the same way when a different company dropped their price?

How many companies drop the price of of a product 30% 60 days after its release?

Not sure. Do the research and get back to us.

It is not unique.

How many give back money when they do? Sometime yes. Sometimes no.

Apple did and people are still crying louder then a 2 year with a bad rash over this.

Talk to the Razr people that bought at $500 and where at $99 at the end of the year.

weblogik
Sep 7, 2007, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=weblogik;4149041]

Not sure. Do the research and get back to us.

It is not unique.

I don't really give a ****. I was just sharing my experience. If you ask Apple store enough, tehy will take your 4 gig and replace it with a 8 gig.
Hoping that helps someone finding themselves in my situation. However this attitude of C'est la vie, is what makes these companies think that it's ok to pull moves like this one.

BugDave
Sep 7, 2007, 05:36 PM
Incase people don't jump threads too often Check out my experience of getting my $200 + tax back (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4149896&postcount=675) from my June 29th 8gig purchase. I hope this helps.

henjin
Sep 7, 2007, 05:57 PM

No Cell phone maker. No cell phone carrier. Only Apple with its 14 days only trial for a cell phone?
Just read that Cringley who worked with Jobs back in the day.. thinks it was a boffo plan by Jobs to screw early adopters then get everyone angry as we're just his little people. Look wind us up and see us go. Y'all love him so there's no point. Anyone would think he actually designs the products. He's not all that you know.

overcast
Sep 7, 2007, 06:02 PM
So don't be an early adopter if you can't handle price fluctuations you big cry babies. Seriously, we are ALL sick and tired of the forums cluttered with these posts. You didn't have a single issue paying $600 2 months ago and showing everyone how cool you were, what's changed today? This happens ALL the time. Grow up, my god.

Indydenny
Sep 7, 2007, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=plumbingandtech;4149056]

I don't really give a ****. I was just sharing my experience. If you ask Apple store enough, tehy will take your 4 gig and replace it with a 8 gig.
Hoping that helps someone finding themselves in my situation. However this attitude of C'est la vie, is what makes these companies think that it's ok to pull moves like this one.

I'm not sure you really know what my attitude is about this (C'est la vie) I just see this VERY differently than you -- and that's okay. We have differing perspectives. I just spend too much time around people who think that "everyone is out to get them and they're are not going to take it" -- and I really don't want to look at the world that way. Just a different take -- to each his own!

megfilmworks
Sep 7, 2007, 11:58 PM
Don't get all the complaining. This last two days will save me $300 on my girlfriend's iPhone that I promised to buy her next week. Wake up complainers, this is a great business move all the way around and great for customers. More customers, better support, more 3rd party accessories. Thank God that Jobs runs Apple and not all the whiners.

megfilmworks
Sep 8, 2007, 12:09 AM
I feel that the short time frame leading up to the price-cut shows that it must have been know at the time of initial release. The original price was a deliberate and dishonest attempt to cash-in the media hype. This action lowers my opinion of Apple to being on-par with that of e-bay scalpers. Ridiculous. Apple looked at the sales figures and decided they wanted to add a few million more iPhone users and a reduced price is the best way to get the fence sitters in the door. Any other conspiracy theories? ... Aliens run Apple maybe?

kgarchar
Sep 8, 2007, 12:31 AM
I don't get what the problem is...It's a ****ing price drop. Be happy that everyone isn't going to harp on you for paying $600 for a phone. They're giving you $100, who cares? I don't think anyone has the right to be mad about a price drop. Steve said it great...if you wait, you'll never buy new technology.

zub3qin
Sep 8, 2007, 10:06 AM

All these iPhone users are doubly pissed.
Why? Because of the price drop AND because the iPod touch is full Wifi.
Be real... the real reason to get the iPhone had very little to do with making phone calls. Now a better phoneless-iPhone is out and it is what people wanted from the start. Had the iPod Touch come out first, NOBODY would have bought the iPhone.

And that is the truth.

Indydenny
Sep 8, 2007, 10:19 AM
Not for me! I want to carry one device. Carried two (or three things) for far too long. iPhone fits my need for one device.

Glad it's the Truth for you!

jt2ga65
Sep 8, 2007, 10:51 AM
Be real... the real reason to get the iPhone had very little to do with making phone calls. Now a better phoneless-iPhone is out and it is what people wanted from the start. Had the iPod Touch come out first, NOBODY would have bought the iPhone.

I was looking at smartphones for a while. What I wanted was a mobile platform to read email and access the Internet to look stuff up when I was out and about. I was even considering purchasing a PSP to do that. I could care less that the iPhone is a iPod. I still carry my 60 gb 5G iPod, as that is a better platform for listening to music, and the 8 gb iPhone (or even a 16 gb) is not enough storage to contain my music, especially since Apple crippled iTunes to disallow you to actually manage your music on your mobile device well.

Honestly, if the iPod touch was a 60 gb one, and had email, web and IM, and could be used anywhere, I'd still be carrying my RAZR because I believe it to be much superior PHONE to the iPhone. But, I don't talk on the phone much anyways, so the iPhone fits well enough.

I did stop carrying my pocket camera, though, and don't have to tote my PDA around most of the time unless I need a GPS. So, I eliminated 2 of my occasional devices.

The iPhone is a compromise. It's not a very good solution to anything, but it does a little bit of everything. That's why I bought it. I was willing to pay $650 when it was new, and I'd do it again today, but if you can save $200, who would be stupid enough not to try?

-jt2

Trent0341
Sep 8, 2007, 11:16 PM
Having a hard time believing all the whining going on, but then again so are quite a few others I guess. I'd have bought the iphone all over again on day one even knowing about the price cut and without the generous rebate offer. Remember when everyone was asking how much it cost and then calling you crazy? Well they were right because many of you can't seem to handle an inevitable price drop. Get over it and stop yapping about "principle" save that for something worthwhile and be happy that more can now afford it.

zydecogirl
Sep 10, 2007, 04:42 PM
I'm glad I bit for the iPhone in early August when I had some time off to play with it. What I don't get from a business perspective (keeping the loyal Mac folks satisfied and spreading the word) is why Jobs doesn't give us something more meaningful. The $100 store credit is not going to make us very happy so why not up it to $200 or $150? After all we are more likely to apply a bigger credit to something higher end. Right now I don't need anything in the lower range. Or perhaps offer the ATV for $100 as an option--that's a nice system and even folks who have one might want a second or give it as a gift. Sometimes good will is worth a hell of a lot more than $$ to the bottom line. BTW how do you communicate something to Apple about this?

megfilmworks
Sep 10, 2007, 09:23 PM

And that is the truth. Don't assume everyone wants what you want.
I never wanted an iPod with video or wifi, but I have wanted a phone from Apple for a long time so I could have syncing capabilities with the Mac OS.
Also the convenience of listening to music and still being able to field phone calls with one great device. Obviously a lot of people wanted this as well. This phone has the highest customer satisfaction of any product ever released by Apple. It may be hard to believe but very few iPhone users have even heard of this website and if 1,000,000 people own iPhones and only a few complain, then it is obvious that it is a success.

reardoma
Sep 10, 2007, 09:57 PM
Hey guys, i've searched and i can't find a definitive answer to this question, so here's the deal -

When can i officially take my receipt back and get my $100 off an apple store purchase?

I'm leaving the country on Thursday and would like to get the phone and get it unlocked before stepping on the plane... what are my chances?

Anyone know the official policy?
I need to get in and buy an iphone ASAP!

(by the way, i bought two iphones and resold them, any chance i can get an iphone for $199?)

Thanks in advance for your quick reply, i need this info asap!!

Thanks guys!!

-Mark

LimeiBook86
Sep 10, 2007, 09:59 PM
Hey guys, i've searched and i can't find a definitive answer to this question, so here's the deal -

When can i officially take my receipt back and get my $100 off an apple store purchase?

Apple said it's supposed to make an official announcement coming out sometime this week. :)

matticus008
Sep 10, 2007, 11:05 PM
(by the way, i bought two iphones and resold them, any chance i can get an iphone for $199?)
I would expect that you need the iPhone itself for the store credit, in addition to the receipt. If you resold, you're not bearing the risk of the price drop anymore because you didn't own any affected items at the time of the price change. Presumably you sold the iPhone for a price reasonably close to the retail value you paid.

As if it wasn't bending backwards enough that they offered this incentive to iPhone owners in the first place, you're trying to game it for all it's worth. You're not looking to compensate for your loss, you're looking to profit.

ndriver182
Sep 10, 2007, 11:53 PM
I would expect that you need the iPhone itself for the store credit, in addition to the receipt. If you resold, you're not bearing the risk of the price drop anymore because you didn't own any affected items at the time of the price change. Presumably you sold the iPhone for a price reasonably close to the retail value you paid.

As if it wasn't bending backwards enough that they offered this incentive to iPhone owners in the first place, you're trying to game it for all it's worth. You're not looking to compensate for your loss, you're looking to profit.

Agreed. Seems pretty underhanded to me.

Bluecoffee31
Sep 11, 2007, 01:54 AM
the letter said ....."Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store."

EVERY IPHONE CUSTOMER

we'll get our money don't worry

Chris Welch
Sep 11, 2007, 02:03 AM
How is it your money if you've already sold the phone?!

Bizarre. Absolutely insane.

matticus008
Sep 11, 2007, 02:16 AM
the letter said ....."Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store."

EVERY IPHONE CUSTOMER

From the release: "and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration"

Selling the iPhone to a third party is consideration--i.e. you've been paid for your interests. Note the use of contract language. You have to own (present tense) an iPhone in order to be affected by the price change and therefore be eligible.

ichii
Sep 11, 2007, 06:41 AM
So would we actually need a receipt for proof of purchase or, just the serial number on the iPhone? I'm planning to get Leopard with the rebate money :D

Taylor C
Sep 11, 2007, 07:47 AM
I hope they announce details before Thursday. I'm going to pick up a MacBook for my sister and it would be a convenient time to redeem it. I wonder if there's going to be a cutoff point.

Cybergypsy
Sep 11, 2007, 07:49 AM
So would we actually need a receipt for proof of purchase or, just the serial number on the iPhone? I'm planning to get Leopard with the rebate money :D

Ditto!!!!

megfilmworks
Sep 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
I feel that the short time frame leading up to the price-cut shows that it must have been know at the time of initial release. The original price was a deliberate and dishonest attempt to cash-in the media hype. This action lowers my opinion of Apple to being on-par with that of e-bay scalpers.
I love these conspiracy theories. By the way, did you know Martians are in control of our country?

lem144
Sep 12, 2007, 12:15 PM
From the release: "and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration"

Selling the iPhone to a third party is consideration--i.e. you've been paid for your interests. Note the use of contract language. You have to own (present tense) an iPhone in order to be affected by the price change and therefore be eligible.

It doesn't matter if you sold it or gave it away - you purchased it from Apple and should get the $100. It doesn't matter to Apple how much you sold it for/made a loss on it. That's not their business.

A purchaser is someone who has a receipt and paid $599 or $499. Not some random owner who bought it who knows when from who knows where.

imac abuser
Sep 12, 2007, 12:45 PM
He said next week that was Monday where the hell are the details

glide
Sep 12, 2007, 12:46 PM
He said next week that was Monday where the hell are the details

When Steve says "next week" it means Frdiay.
When he says "this month" it means on the 30th.

imac abuser
Sep 12, 2007, 01:03 PM
LOL, you'd think he could have given up the golf or something to get this crap settled.

matticus008
Sep 12, 2007, 01:13 PM
It doesn't matter to Apple how much you sold it for/made a loss on it. That's not their business.
Sure it is. When you buy a product with a rebate, you have to continue to own the product to get the rebate (usually by submitting the UPC as proof of ownership, which is imperfect, but the best possible approach). When you buy upgrade products which are available to people who previously purchased a full copy, you have to retain ownership to qualify for the upgrade. Having bought something at some time in the past is only half of the requirements.
A purchaser is someone who has a receipt and paid $599 or $499. Not some random owner who bought it who knows when from who knows where.
No, a purchaser has both a receipt and the product. A reseller has a receipt and no product. A second-hand owner has a product and no receipt.

These are all established transactional terms. The act of purchase is not the only requirement--you could have bought the product but returned it, bought and canceled the order, ordered it but not yet received it, ordered it within the 14 day period and therefore be eligible for a price adjustment, or any other combination of scenarios, including buying and dispossessing, which would disqualify you.

lem144
Sep 12, 2007, 01:17 PM
In the iPhone case I believe you'll be incorrect. This is not a rebate and many people have thrown boxes in the garbage (not me) so they won't have a UPC.

Again, what if you gifted it? Why should someone who received a free iPhone get a credit? That is not the intent of Steve's gift certificate.

Sure it is. When you buy a product with a rebate, you have to continue to own the product to get the rebate (usually by submitting the UPC as proof of ownership, which is imperfect, but the best possible approach). When you buy upgrade products which are available to people who previously purchased a full copy, you have to retain ownership to qualify for the upgrade. Having bought something at some time in the past is only half of the requirements.

No, a purchaser has both a receipt and the product. A reseller has a receipt and no product. A second-hand owner has a product and no receipt.

These are all established transactional terms. The act of purchase is not the only requirement--you could have bought the product but returned it, bought and canceled the order, ordered it but not yet received it, ordered it within the 14 day period and therefore be eligible for a price adjustment, or any other combination of scenarios, including buying and dispossessing, which would disqualify you.

LizKat
Sep 12, 2007, 07:51 PM

There's nothing dishonest about figuring hey if we get the price point wrong but the product ratings are off the charts, then we can always drop the price before the glory fades. That's market-savvy. And, gutsy!

Man, this country is becoming so risk-averse. Time to remember an historical truth: evolve or die. Apple gets that. Early adopters get it. We cannot hope for a better past, or even to end up as in the David Bowie song, "Always Crashing in the Same Car." We can't stand still and re-transact what is done. Life is all about our future. We each must head out there every day, else die. And, we need to pay it forward, that's how things do work out for the best.

Someone paid "too much" for a Lisa and "too much" for a 128k Macintosh so that I in turn could pay "too much" for a lot of whatever Apple's cranked out since 1985. Have I gotten mad sometimes? Yeah. Justifiably? Not really. I've laid hands on so much wonderful Apple technology, and the prices I paid are what will help Apple develop wonderful products that my great-nieces will probably complain they paid "too much" for. Sounds all right to me!

matticus008
Sep 12, 2007, 08:29 PM
In the iPhone case I believe you'll be incorrect. This is not a rebate and many people have thrown boxes in the garbage (not me) so they won't have a UPC.
Well, it is a rebate, but I'll bite anyway. Put it in the perspective of prior Apple store credit. Credit was issued to those who purchased and retained the license for Aperture. The mere act of having paid for something in the past is not sufficient. You must be a current owner of the affected product.

Again, what if you gifted it? Why should someone who received a free iPhone get a credit? That is not the intent of Steve's gift certificate.
They wouldn't. They would be a second-hand owner.

oogje
Sep 12, 2007, 09:05 PM
Well, it is a rebate, but I'll bite anyway. Put it in the perspective of prior Apple store credit. Credit was issued to those who purchased and retained the license for Aperture. The mere act of having paid for something in the past is not sufficient. You must be a current owner of the affected product.
In order to receive the e-coupon from the Aperture Customer Program promotion you didn't have to be the purchaser, just the owner. On the other hand Jobs' letter specifically states "...iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T". So I don't expect the iPhone store credits to be handled like the Aperture Customer Program.

Terms and Conditions
Please submit one claim per Aperture software serial number. Licensed owners of Aperture 1.0 will receive an e-coupon with a value of $200. Licensed owners of Aperture 1.0 Academic will receive an e-coupon with a value of $100. Volume Licenses and Not-For-Sale (NFR) licenses are ineligible. Limited to one e-coupon per valid software serial number per licensed owner. Claims must be postmarked no later than June 30, 2006. E-coupons will be emailed to eligible claimants within 8 weeks of claim receipt. E-coupons expire on September 30, 2006. E-coupons are valid only on the online Apple Store. An E-coupon may only be applied to one purchase, equal to or greater than the value of the coupon. E-coupons may not be applied to taxes or shipping charges. E-coupons may not be applied to gift card purchases or iTunes music purchases. Apple and FileMaker employees are not eligible for this offer. Apple and its agents are not responsible for incomplete, illegible, late, lost, mutilated, misdirected, or postage-due claims. Providing false information disqualifies this claim. Apple reserves the right to deny and/or disregard any claim deemed to be false or fraudulent. This program is valid only to customers who reside within the United States or the District of Columbia. This offer is void where prohibited or restricted by law. Apple is not responsible for printing errors. You should keep copies of these Terms and Conditions. Submissions will not be returned and become the property of Apple. Apple reserves the right to change without notice the Terms and Conditions, or modify the offer, or end the offer at any time without notice. For more information or to learn the status of your claim, please visit: www.apple.com/promo/rebate/status.html.

matticus008
Sep 13, 2007, 12:00 AM
In order to receive the e-coupon from the Aperture Customer Program promotion you didn't have to be the purchaser, just the owner. Allow me to reiterate the part you quoted but didn't read: "You must be a current owner of the affected product." Further, because of the nature of the price drop and the fact that there are no software keys that can fill the place of purchase date, you'll need to demonstrate a proof of purchase (UPC, serial number, receipt, whatever Apple decides to use) to indicate that you paid $599 in order to qualify for the credit.
On the other hand Jobs' letter specifically states "...iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T". So I don't expect the iPhone store credits to be handled like the Aperture Customer Program.
Exactly. iPhone customers (that is, owners of iPhones) who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T (that is, not people who bought on eBay or from a friend, or received it as a gift and only those who paid $599 for the phone [or $499 for the 4GB]). Not former customers, not resellers, not recipients of free iPhones.

OnlyMarcusCannn
Sep 13, 2007, 05:41 AM

As if it wasn't bending backwards enough that they offered this incentive to iPhone owners in the first place, you're trying to game it for all it's worth. You're not looking to compensate for your loss you're looking to profit.

Yea, fair enough. However, I don't think that will be the case with the iPhone. For one, the phone was still purchased through Apple/AT&T by the purchaser (even if they gifted, resold, etc.), so only a receipt should be valid for the consideration. It's not like the purchaser AND the second-hand owner are gonna get a store credit--whoever has the receipt to show that they were the one's who purchased the phone should receive the credit.

Also, this is not a rebate. A rebate is something where you get actual cash back, which has a completely different meaning from a store credit. I doubt that Apple will be picky on this, because the $100 will be going right back into their pockets!

It's a complete win-win situation for Apple.
Smart marketing is always key to success!

lem144
Sep 13, 2007, 08:54 AM
I want my credit information today!

It's maddening that it's taken over a week to hash out the details.

I want my new iMac!:apple::):apple:

maceleven
Sep 13, 2007, 09:01 AM
is waiting until thursfay or friday the day most people get paid so they can spend there hard earned checks thats thinking diffrent:D