PDA

View Full Version : iBook Sound Problem - Help Needed!

Phil_S
Aug 14, 2003, 01:24 AM
I was hoping that someone might be able to help me out with a strange problem that I've been having with my iBook 900 for a few days... basically, whenever it plays the system sound submarine.aiff, this is followed by a loud popping noise. At first I thought that something had gone wrong with the internal speakers but it does the same when external ones are plugged in, and other sounds are fine.

At a bit of a loss to know what to do, I tried repairing my permissions and the utility reported that the permissions had gone screwy with the submarine.aiff file. I checked this out in the finder and it looked like the file had been modified three days previously - which is when the problem started.

So... any ideas as to how I can fix this? I've tried simply deleting the file but I'm not allowed to as this is owned by "root".... is there any other way I can reinstall this sound?

Thanks in advance...

alphaone
Aug 14, 2003, 01:40 AM
Well if it's any help, my submarine.aiff on my dual 867 does that too. On both the internal speaker and my soundsticks. Something is wrong with the file. I'm still running on the pre-installed Jaguar so I don't know if a full reinstall would do anything...:confused:

MacBandit
Aug 14, 2003, 02:07 AM
If you two want PM me with your email address and I'll send you a good version of the submarine.aiff file. Mine doesn't pop. Sounds like some update or program you installed messed with it for some reason. I don't run all the updates as I don't have airport, bluetooth, or an ipod. Maybe one of those updates did it for some reason. Also there have been updates for the Pro software including the new sound editing stuff. I wonder if that could have done it. In any case let me know if you want the original file.

Kwyjibo
Aug 14, 2003, 08:41 AM
this is why I added a clip of the classic special ed saying "I got mail YaYYYY " when I get a new email.

zsmooth
Feb 18, 2005, 12:52 AM
I was hoping that someone might be able to help me out with a strange problem that I've been having with my iBook 900 for a few days... basically, whenever it plays the system sound submarine.aiff, this is followed by a loud popping noise. At first I thought that something had gone wrong with the internal speakers but it does the same when external ones are plugged in, and other sounds are fine...

Let me guess - you recently installed an Adobe tryout product? Same thing happened to me. Pretty good analysis here: http://www.codecomments.com/MAC_Applications/message389667.html. Apparently the tryout installer modified your sound file. Very very impolite. I suggest emailing Adobe and telling them what you think about it.

(Edit - sorry to bring this thread back from the long dead - At least there's an explanation attached to it now though...)