PDA

View Full Version : 16GB iPod touch - 210 from USA!?

rossgumbrell
Sep 6, 2007, 02:29 AM
Well, say you bought it from New York with a 4% sales tax, you would be looking at around $420 = 210, 60 cheaper than over here!

Any reason why this miight be a bad idea? Won't be any region locks or anything of the sort do you think?

:apple::apple::apple:

shadowmoses
Sep 6, 2007, 02:43 AM
Everything is fine, there is no region problems and it charges via USB so your fine with that. Also its got a worldwide warranty, so your good saving the and buying it from the states...;)

ShadoW

jofarmer
Sep 6, 2007, 05:46 AM
I don't know how that is handled in the UK, but here in Germany ther is a 19% comstums fee added to it. Which kills the joke, right?

I simply cannot imagine ther would be no customs for bringing in goods from the US into the UK. The UK is a member of the EU after all, just not of the EMS.

Consider carefully!

SuperSnake2012
Sep 6, 2007, 05:49 AM
Sales tax is 8.375% in New York City.

philipz
Sep 6, 2007, 05:49 AM
Unpack it in the US already and throw away the box. If somebody asks, you bought it in the UK before you went to the US. Nobody will ask for a receipt or anything.

fraserdrew
Sep 6, 2007, 06:00 AM
Unpack it in the US already and throw away the box. If somebody asks, you bought it in the UK before you went to the US. Nobody will ask for a receipt or anything.

Very true!!

US sales tax is lower, so if you bought the iPod touch at US price, with UK tax (17.5%) it would be nearly $470, which is 235, so not the biggest rip off in the uk, but not brilliant either!

Moria
Sep 6, 2007, 06:17 AM
If you import it directly the chances are you'll be smacked with customs when it enters the UK which would be pretty hefty (17.5% I think, which is the normal rate of VAT, but I don't really know) and would probably end up being roughly the same price as you could buy it for here.

CD3660
Sep 6, 2007, 10:15 AM
If you import it directly the chances are you'll be smacked with customs when it enters the UK which would be pretty hefty (17.5% I think, which is the normal rate of VAT, but I don't really know) and would probably end up being roughly the same price as you could buy it for here.

Plus a handling charge of about 10-15!

That happened to me recently when I ordered computer parts from the U.S. Wiped out any saving, and they were delayed in the post (USPS Global Express) taking THREE WEEKS to arrive. Bad experience!

Tom B.
Sep 6, 2007, 04:07 PM
I won't be in America any time soon, but is there any chance I could order an iPod touch from their for $399 (197)? Even with VAT added on, it's quite a saving.

EssentialParado
Sep 6, 2007, 04:31 PM
You could always take a risk and get an American friend to buy it for you then change the shipping box and mark it as something inexpensive like magazines on the customs label. Then you won't get charged the customs fees and it might actually be safer from thieving postal workers (I had an iPod Mini stolen by DHL 2 years ago in shipping it from US to UK), BUT the risk is that if it's marked at $5 in value and it DOES get lost, the refund the post office will give will be $5.