PDA

View Full Version : Dual DVI video card

iamspooky
Aug 14, 2003, 05:49 AM
Aloha,
Does anyone know what AGP video card has dual DVI outputs and is compatible with a Mac G4 1GHz. ?? I do not want to get a card with an ADC and DVI output and then buy a ADC to DVI converter, I want to connect both of my LCD displays to DVI outputs. Thanks for your responses:cool:

Mahalo,
MARK

iPC
Aug 14, 2003, 10:57 AM
ATi Fire GL4 has 128MB with dual DVI. Not sure if it works with Mac though...

ATi Fire GLX1 has 256MB with dual DVI. Again unsure if compatible.

nVidia Quadro FX series (1000 and 2000) has dual DVI also... IIRC.

This all pricey workstation stuff. The GL4 is the cheapest of the lot.

On Apple's wesite the GL4 is listed as something that will work with Shake... this may be your best list of Mac stuff

http://www.apple.com/shake/specs.html

gopher
Aug 14, 2003, 11:33 AM
Is this what you are looking for? Hard to tell by the specs.

http://www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf_id=VW144532&blind=no&BCID=6998376

Check with the manufacturer

iPC
Aug 14, 2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by gopher
Is this what you are looking for? Hard to tell by the specs.

http://www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf_id=VW144532&blind=no&BCID=6998376

Check with the manufacturer
No. Those are 2 different connectors on the card.

You have to get into the workstation cards to get dual DVI.

Sun Baked
Aug 14, 2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by iamspooky
Aloha,
Does anyone know what AGP video card has dual DVI outputs and is compatible with a Mac G4 1GHz. ?? I do not want to get a card with an ADC and DVI output and then buy a ADC to DVI converter, I want to connect both of my LCD displays to DVI outputs. Thanks for your responses:cool:

Mahalo,
MARK Actually nothing new (the ATI 8500 Mac edition is newest Apple Retail video card without ADC), you'd probably have to get an old card or use a hacked video card with pirated Apple ROMs (ie, a PC version of the Mac ADC cards).

A Mac retail card with ADC and DVI would probably work best, since ADC is DVI with extra pins for USB and the monitor power supply. It's not like it's actually converting a signal.

As far as the PC cards, you'd probably have to hunt to find a database that shows which card will work with the Apple ROM -- not all the PC cards work, some end up with problems.

* - And piracy is bad, and problematic in some of these hardware cases.

AngryAngel
Aug 14, 2003, 04:36 PM
I do not want to get a card with an ADC and DVI output and then buy a ADC to DVI converter, I want to connect both of my LCD displays to DVI outputs.

ADC carries the DVI signals, just in a different connector (with USB and power added)- what do you have against the ADC>DVI adapter, it's not too expensive (like a DVI>ADC is...)?

iamspooky
Aug 14, 2003, 06:03 PM
Aloha,
Thanks for all the replies :) ...you guys are great. I guess I will heed your advice and just get a card with the ADC and DVI out and use the ADC to DVI adapter on one output. I am connecting my MAC and PC via a dual setup to 2 new Dell 1901FP LCD's and I wanted to go all DVI from the MAC and use my existing VGA outputs on my PC to the VGA ports on the LCD's. These new Dell 1901FP monitors are pretty cool with the dual DVI and VGA inputs, solves the problem having to use a KVA switch on a dual setup. I prefer having the least amount of adapters and converters and whatever else, it always degrades the video signal. If anyone else has such a setup how is it working for you?? Thanks all again...

BTW: Hawaii was 84 degrees today with cool tradewinds......and of course, a ton of awesome chicks on the beach. Just thought I'd let you know !! :cool:

Take care,
Mark

AngryAngel
Aug 14, 2003, 06:12 PM
I prefer having the least amount of adapters and converters and whatever else, it always degrades the video signal.

Signal degradation is one of the major reasons why DVI was invented- being digital it is not really affected by it.

gopher
Aug 14, 2003, 08:48 PM
And since both ADC and DVI are digital, degradation should not be an issue. Just be sure not leave your adapter in a dusty room loose enough that the signal might not get through 100%.

iPC
Aug 15, 2003, 03:25 PM
All signal degrades, digital or otherwise.

iamspooky
Aug 15, 2003, 03:36 PM
Aloha,
I had an ATI radeon card a while back and I had to use an DVI to VGA adapter to my CRT. Really screwed the image up. As I understood it, the adapter only blocked the digital signal and let the analog pass through the appropriate pins. ATi sent me 4 more adapter replacements and it never corrected the image. IMHO...the path of least interference is always the wisest choice, no matter what digital, analog, air, water, light, etc... :eek:

Regrds,
Mark

tjwett
Aug 15, 2003, 03:58 PM
As an aside, will there ever be a dual ADC video card? this current adapter situation is lame, and the quality blows.

GroundLoop
Aug 15, 2003, 04:55 PM
If anyone else has such a setup how is it working for you??

I also have a dual 1901FP set-up. I have an all digital connection to my PC (G5 isn't here yet) and it is awesome. I am using a Matrox Parhelia 256MB card and I couldn't ask for anything more. The card may not be the best for games, but it gives you every possible option when it comes to multi-headed systems. I hope you enjoy your new toys.

Hickman