PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy about the new ipod touch?

caj
Sep 6, 2007, 07:11 AM
Unhappy about the new ipod touch's storage capacity? Well, I for one am. If you feel the same reply "me two" and then the next person "me three" etc.

Much Ado
Sep 6, 2007, 07:21 AM
Exactly how much flash memory were you hoping for, then? :rolleyes:

Markleshark
Sep 6, 2007, 07:23 AM
160Gig of course.

Life is a game of compromise, learn to live with it.

Much Ado
Sep 6, 2007, 07:26 AM
160Gig of course.

Life is a game of compromise, learn to live with it.

:D Mmm.... 160GB Flash. Let's see them get that into an iPod.

sammich
Sep 6, 2007, 07:31 AM
Geeze people. the iPod Touch is about the same thickness as the Nano.

There's just no pleasing some people. Me included.

rockthecasbah
Sep 6, 2007, 07:32 AM
Exactly how much flash memory were you hoping for, then? :rolleyes:

I was hoping for a hard drive, 80GB would have sufficed! I think Apple crippled the product by going with Flash and just making it about thinness, not performance.

Markleshark
Sep 6, 2007, 07:35 AM
How have they crippled it? Because 1% of MacRumors readers can't fit their 100Gig iTunes Library onto it and wont be buying it?

I'm sure Steve Jobs will be crying into his Billions.

bartelby
Sep 6, 2007, 07:37 AM
I can't see the point in the Touch to be honest.

Woo, flashy interface. Big deal!

gloss
Sep 6, 2007, 07:37 AM
I was hoping for a hard drive, 80GB would have sufficed! I think Apple crippled the product by going with Flash and just making it about thinness, not performance.

I'm pretty sure they made it about performance, not capacity.

Flash = no seek and load times, much increased durability.

Much Ado
Sep 6, 2007, 07:38 AM

Performance? Flash kicks HD's ass in performance.

How have they crippled it? Because 1% of MacRumors readers can't fit their 100Gig iTunes Library onto it and wont be buying it?

I'm sure Steve Jobs will be crying into his Billions.

Exactly.

The time will come when flash drives get big enough to fit everyone's needs, but for now Apple have made a good compromise by releasing a flash and HD player, with respective interfaces.

gloss

Flashy interface, bigger, better screen for video watching, high durability, and, most importantly, Mac OS X. That means hackability and expandability.

Markleshark

Kind of is a big deal though. There is only so far you can take the click wheel, really.

Scarlet Fever
Sep 6, 2007, 07:39 AM
:D Mmm.... 160GB Flash. Let's see them get that into an iPod.

i'm sure they can make a one-off iPod Touch with 160GB of Flash memory. It'd just cost more than Apple Inc. itself :p

bartelby
Sep 6, 2007, 07:41 AM
Flashy interface, bigger, better screen for video watching, high durability, and, most importantly, Mac OS X. That means hackability and expandability.

Kind of is a big deal though. There is only so far you can take the click wheel, really.

But I'm not interested in a big screen, Wi-Fi, OS X being on a little device.
I just like the nice and simple iPod. I'm not bothered about CoverFlow or colour screens or games.

And using a touchscreen iPod without taking it out of your pocket will be a bit awkward....

Nice large capacity for higher quality encoding. That's all I'm interested in.

OllyW
Sep 6, 2007, 07:43 AM

I agree. I can't even see the point of video on an iPod :D

Shorties
Sep 6, 2007, 07:47 AM
Performance? Flash kicks HD's ass in performance.

Exactly.

The time will come when flash drives get big enough to fit everyone's needs, but for now Apple have made a good compromise by releasing a flash and HD player, with respective interfaces.

My guess is that in two years (Sept of 2009) Apple will release a 256GB Flash Based iPod touch, by then Starbucks will already be entirely itunesified, and my itunes library will have already grown past that :D. By that time, it will be time to drop Hard Drives.

Euan
Sep 6, 2007, 07:50 AM
I'd have liked to have seen greater capacity on the Touch but to be honest, of the 6,000+ songs I have on my ipod, I could probably live without 90% very comfortably.

Much Ado
Sep 6, 2007, 07:51 AM
Nice large capacity for higher quality encoding. That's all I'm interested in.

You are the reason they kept the iPod classic :)

dcv
Sep 6, 2007, 07:52 AM
But I'm not interested in a big screen, Wi-Fi, OS X being on a little device.
I just like the nice and simple iPod. I'm not bothered about CoverFlow or colour screens or games.

To be honest I'm more interested in the big screen and Wi-Fi than the iPod function!

I'd like something similar to my Nokia 770 internet tablet only with a better GUI, more memory and better text entry, etc.

The iPod Touch has the decent memory but the screen is probably too small to be that useable for web browsing. My Nokia tablet is 800px wide which is great. I have no idea what the text entry would be like on the iPod Touch though. The fact that it's also an iPod is useful for travelling as I'd only have to take the one device... but just based on the tiny screen resolution I probably won't bother buying it. It's not much different from me just using my mobile phone.

Dammit Apple, where's me ultraportable or travel tablet device?!!

bartelby
Sep 6, 2007, 07:53 AM
You are the reason they kept the iPod classic :)

And very glad I am about it too.

I'm merely pointing out that everyone has different views on what is good and what is bad.

As a concept I like the Touch, but I wouldn't buy one because as a complete package it's not what I want.

dcv If they added Mail to the Touch and maybe a cut down verision of iWork, then I'd view it as a completely different device and would gladly buy one.:)

PowerFullMac
Sep 6, 2007, 08:08 AM
You lot need to chill? I got a 1GB Nano and only use just over half of that and yes I have 2 videos on there (and they are uncompressed for iPod Linux). 16GB is plenty, and when/if we do have a 80GB one or whatever next you will be going "Hey, this dosent play true HD video or Blu-ray disks! And what about Photoshop? This is terrible! Im not buying this!"

If you want a lot of memory and a decent screen, get a MacBook!

rbroady
Sep 6, 2007, 08:12 AM
I for one, am gonna go with the touch.

and with over 15,000 songs in my library, i dont have a problem switching around the 16gb of music every daily. Its what ive been doing with my nano and pretty much put my video to rest.

I think somewhere down the road i would like to have the 160 for trips and stuff, but you cant beat the safari especiially since im in NYC

shoelessone
Sep 6, 2007, 08:18 AM
If you're tired of hearing the same "they should have put a hard drive in it" "omg they didn't for this and this reason" "i'm not buying one" "omg y not r u teh crazy" "apple really messed up by doing this because it doesn't fit my wants/needs" (etc, etc, etc)

Type: Me Two

Me Three, etc.

Much Ado
Sep 6, 2007, 08:19 AM
Type: Me Two

Me Three, etc.

No.

watcher2001
Sep 6, 2007, 08:22 AM
dcv If they added Mail to the Touch and maybe a cut down verision of iWork, then I'd view it as a completely different device and would gladly buy one.:)

Couldn't you access your mail via a web interface via the wi-f1?

rockthecasbah
Sep 6, 2007, 08:28 AM
I'm pretty sure they made it about performance, not capacity.

Flash = no seek and load times, much increased durability.

It has better durability and is slightly faster (iPod hard drives are by no means slow) but at a greater cost of capacity! The biggest selling point Apple could have had was that the touch was THE definitive video player, but with little capacity that can't happen. It also would have separated it from the iPhone. Flash is great, but for another few years when capacity is no more than a sneeze, I'll take a hard drive anyday.

milo
Sep 6, 2007, 08:31 AM
This thread isn't locked yet? Seriously?

shoelessone
Sep 6, 2007, 08:31 AM
Also, for those of you unhappy about the lack of mail, etc, check out http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/ipod-touch-runs-same-applications-as-iphone-296837.php

Sesshi
Sep 6, 2007, 08:32 AM

Sez the Apple fan. :p

I think it just comes down to Apple's abhorrence these days of over-skuing and that a flash Touch was bound to sell better than an HDD one.

dornoforpyros
Sep 6, 2007, 08:32 AM
Meh I'm not really disappointed in it. I mean I'm sure it's a great little gadget and I'd love to have one, but the small storage size makes it the wrong product for me. So I simply won't buy one, but the pricing of the iPod classic makes me quite happy :D

I mean getting mad about it would be like getting mad because you have a family of four and a 2 seat porche is the wrong car for you. "how dare they make a sports car that can't transport my entire family and a weeks worth of camping supplies!"

I guess I can see why others are disappointed because it the iPod touch has been hyped as coming soon for like 2 years now, but you gotta remember, storage will go up, the price will come down and in a few years they'll be whining about something else.

PowerFullMac
Sep 6, 2007, 08:34 AM
Also, for those of you unhappy about the lack of mail, etc, check out http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/ipod-touch-runs-same-applications-as-iphone-296837.php

Links not working, but as the iPod Touch runs the same OS as the iPhone im guessing you can get some iPhone apps and run them on the Touch, I think you can get iPhone apps from the Hack The iPhone link on my sig, just look around.

Also, Apple could easily add Maps, Weather etc. in a firmware update. Mail wont be good if it cant be checked all the time and this is a media player, not a phone :D

bartelby
Sep 6, 2007, 08:40 AM
Sez the Apple fan. :p

I think it just comes down to Apple's abhorrence these days of over-skuing and that a flash Touch was bound to sell better than an HDD one.

And you read my later post that said I was pointing out everyone has different opinions?
:)

Over whating?

Scarlet Fever
Sep 6, 2007, 08:45 AM
...but you gotta remember, storage will go up, the price will come down and in a few years they'll be whining about something else.

like how they can't put 400 HiDef movies on their iPod Invisa :p

Sesshi
Sep 6, 2007, 08:53 AM
And you read my later post that said I was pointing out everyone has different opinions?
:)

Over whating?

Over-skuing. Carrying too many SKU's. The current range is the largest iPod range ever so I'm sure that was a consideration.

shoelessone
Sep 6, 2007, 09:12 AM
Links not working, but as the iPod Touch runs the same OS as the iPhone im guessing you can get some iPhone apps and run them on the Touch, I think you can get iPhone apps from the Hack The iPhone link on my sig, just look around.

Also, Apple could easily add Maps, Weather etc. in a firmware update. Mail wont be good if it cant be checked all the time and this is a media player, not a phone :D

true. but I have a feeling apple might try to leave the iPhone with some "official" software advantages of the Touch.

intempo808
Sep 6, 2007, 10:28 AM
Some people are unbelivably ungrateful... We have been waiting for this since February 2005... Just think yourselves lucky that you got something...

Just think... in the near future... they will be able to put HDD into the touch as well...

You just need to be patient... so don't winge... :rolleyes:

Rower_CPU
Sep 6, 2007, 10:33 AM
There's plenty of discussion of the pros/cons of the new iPod models in existing threads - we don't need more discussion of the same points, especially of the "me too" variety. Thanks :)