PDA

View Full Version : PM G5 2.0 Dual (2003) what vid card should I get for 28"

clearthinker
Sep 6, 2007, 10:08 AM
I have the ?first gen 2003 PM G5 2.0 dual with the wimpy 64MB video card that came standard. I want to run either 24 or 28" (ViewSonic's 28" VX2835wm) LCD and was hoping for some advice.

I hate to get the ATI x800 XT card since it runs around $400 used. Any other ideas?

My PM has the AGP 8x speed slot for the video card and PCI-X slots(which I understand does not have any video card support).:)

also....will a new video card help with sorting through 13K pictures in iphoto?

Tracer
Sep 6, 2007, 12:20 PM
Go into System Profiler and be a little more specific as to what card you have.

However if it's got a DVI port, it's has to support Single-Link which is what the 28" Viewsonic requires.

Planning on doing a lot of gaming?

Then you might want to upgrade your card.

Tracer

Topper
Sep 6, 2007, 12:42 PM
I have the ?first gen 2003 PM G5 2.0 dual with the wimpy 64MB video card that came standard. I want to run either 24 or 28" (ViewSonic's 28" VX2835wm) LCD and was hoping for some advice.

I hate to get the ATI x800 XT card since it runs around $400 used. Any other ideas?

My PM has the AGP 8x speed slot for the video card and PCI-X slots(which I understand does not have any video card support).:)

also....will a new video card help with sorting through 13K pictures in iphoto?

It will be difficult finding a good card for that machine.
The X800 XT is your best bet but like you say they cost a fortune.
The 9800 Pro Mac Edition is a decent card also.
I was informed that the following vendor has the X800 XT in stock for $294.
If $294 is reasonable enough you might want to give them a call...
http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/H79811-ATI-100-435338.html

p.s. Yes, you need and can only use AGP cards.

clearthinker
Sep 6, 2007, 01:48 PM
Sorry for the lack of info in my original post concerning the video card. It is a ATI Radeon 9600 pro w/64MB DDR SDRAM.

DVI out.

Thanks for the info about PC superstore. Are they reliable/safe company to order from? I've never used/heard of them before.

Topper
Sep 6, 2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info about PC superstore. Are they reliable/safe company to order from? I've never used/heard of them before.

I don't know anything about them.
I have a friend who is looking for the X800 XT.
Everybody seemed to have them out-of-stock so I asked a few like PC Superstore to let me know if/when they have them in stock.
PC Superstore told me that they are now in stock.

Tracer
Sep 6, 2007, 03:30 PM
Hey there,

I have the same card in my G4. If you not doing gaming or a lot of Aperture or Motion work, stick with it.

There is little point in buying a $300 Video Card, for a System that is getting old.

Tracer

ziwi
Sep 7, 2007, 02:17 PM
Hey there,

I have the same card in my G4. If you not doing gaming or a lot of Aperture or Motion work, stick with it.

There is little point in buying a $300 Video Card, for a System that is getting old.

Tracer

Agree - sell the G5 now for $1100, $1200 or more and put that toward the next Pro...if you say it is worth $1200 and you add a $400 video card (agp) to it you will never get that investment back...sell it while it still has some value...