PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the iPod remote?

doomwrap
Sep 6, 2007, 11:33 AM
My last iPod (classic) was the 3rd generation one, and it came with a remote that allowed me to control the iPod while it was still in my pocket/backpack. Since then i got the first generation iPod nano and used it with a lanyard so I operated it by pressing the buttons through my shirt without a problem.

However i'm tempted to buy the latest iPod classic but the iPod remote seems to have disappeared from the accessories, is there any equivalent (that ideally has a clip like the shuffle) which I can use with the iPod so that i can operate the basic music functions without having to refer to my iPod constantly?

Thanks!

squeeks
Sep 6, 2007, 11:52 AM
none of the ipods ive ever owned came with a remote...there was a remote that came with the dock...

gavd
Sep 6, 2007, 11:53 AM
Link (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=MA070G/C) to the U.S. store. Think this is what you're after.

squeeks
Sep 6, 2007, 11:56 AM
Link (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E07A&nplm=MA070G/C) to the U.S. store. Think this is what you're after.

yeah thats a radio tuner thats not what he's looking for at all, he wants a regular apple remote that use to be available to control the ipod, which i think still comes with the dock seen here (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=F04326F1&nplm=MB125G/A)

rjgonzales
Sep 6, 2007, 12:03 PM
yeah thats a radio tuner thats not what he's looking for at all, he wants a regular apple remote that use to be available to control the ipod, which i think still comes with the dock seen here (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=F04326F1&nplm=MB125G/A)

I'm pretty sure he looking for the radio remote. I too have a 3g ipod that came with a wired remote.... very handy at the gym. When I bought my 5g the first thing I bought for it was the radio remote.:apple:

gavd
Sep 6, 2007, 12:05 PM

I disagree. I think he wants the radio remote to use when he's out and about.

I'm pretty sure he looking for the radio remote. I too have a 3g ipod that came with a wired remote.... very handy at the gym. When I bought my 5g the first thing I bought for it was the radio remote.:apple:

I really like the remotes too. Find them really useful.

swiftaw
Sep 6, 2007, 12:07 PM
No, he's talking about a wired remote, you plugged it into the headphone jack, then plugged the headphones into it. It essentially gave you a little control panel halfway down the headphone cord. I got one with my 3rd gen iPod. I believe those were the last models to ship with them.

doomwrap
Sep 6, 2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Yea I was searching for something like the radio remote that was posted (I liked it alot with my 3G iPod!), sorry if my wording was a bit misleading. I never knew something like the radio remote existed until now heh, i'd like to ask a few questions to the owners of this remote though. Does it have a clip to clip on like the shuffle? How well does the radio functionality work? Also by any chance does it work with the iPhone? (I know it doesn't say it supports the iPhone but Apple products are usually really compatible with each other :P)

Thanks!

Jasonbot
Sep 6, 2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Yea I was searching for something like the radio remote that was posted (I liked it alot with my 3G iPod!), sorry if my wording was a bit misleading. I never knew something like the radio remote existed until now heh, i'd like to ask a few questions to the owners of this remote though. Does it have a clip to clip on like the shuffle? How well does the radio functionality work? Also by any chance does it work with the iPhone? (I know it doesn't say it supports the iPhone but Apple products are usually really compatible with each other :P)

Thanks!

It looks kinda like an iPod shuffle, only smaller, squarer and the clip is a lot more solid.

As for the iPhone compatibility, apparently not because the iPhone needs more connections for those little buttons that control next song and answer call.

aidanpendragon
Sep 6, 2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks!

As for the wireless remote that comes with the Dock, it is iPhone-compatible, but only when the device is docked. Makes sense - otherwise jokers would be changing the channel on you all the time.

"And when your iPod or iPhone is in the Dock and connected to a stereo or TV, the included Apple Remote lets you experience songs, slideshows, and more from across the room. Just choose a playlist, slideshow, or video, then sit back and enjoy. The Apple Remote offers play/pause, volume control, and forward/back buttons for easy control."

dcv
Sep 6, 2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah it looked like this:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/M9128_screen.jpg

Came as standard with the 3G iPods along with the dock and a case, then when the 4G iPod came out, they withdrew most of the accessories. If you wanted the remote you had to buy it separately but you couldn't purchase it on its own - it came bundled with headphones. The online Apple store is still selling them (in the UK at least) but they come with the old style earbuds.

I've still got one lying around somewhere...