Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rmpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Hi. I need to use the program make. It's either not installed or there's something else wrong. It's been a while since I've used a command line. Can someone point me in the right direction? How do I install it/find out if it's already installed, etc.. I'm running OS X 10.4.10

Thank you.

SupadudeX

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Thats an interesting topic. Ive installed a lot of GNU software through source code, but never without make already on the system. Kinda like a chicken or the egg thing. I assume you have to get a pre compiled binary.

Rmpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Install Xcode and you'll get it

Does anyone know which package contains make? I don't want to install all of Xcode because it's pretty big. I tried installing gcc (both versions) because I thought make was in there but after installing gcc, make still isn't a valid command.

Can someone please help me out?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Does anyone know which package contains make? I don't want to install all of Xcode because it's pretty big. I tried installing gcc (both versions) because I thought make was in there but after installing gcc, make still isn't a valid command.

Can someone please help me out?

Installing Xcode really is the best way to go I would say.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
I thought it already came with make hmmm... Coz the last time I had to use it was installing Apache to host jsp files for my project and the steps required make. Which I used without issue. Or maybe it was coz I already had Xcode installed... Hmm...

Rmpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Ok. I was poking around a bit and I think maybe I just need to change my path or something. Does anyone know where make is installed? I tried to figure it out myself but...uhhhh...I couldn't figure it out. Again, any help would be appreciated.

Rmpl

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Ok, I don't think I have it installed. Can someone please tell me how to install it without installing all of xcode? Xcode is like 2.6 gigs. Usually I can google my way to answer but searching for "make" doesn't really help. Please, please, please will someone help me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.