PDA

View Full Version : Quark Question (need a guru)

supermacdesign
Sep 6, 2007, 01:55 PM
I am doing a catalog for a client who uses quark on PC, I am on a Mac. I did the bulk of the initial design and work. I handed the document over to them, they are tweaking prices and such. I get the document back, and now all of the product images while looking fine on my screen output huge. On my print outs the images within the image boxes are now at least 200% bigger. I click on one and the percentage I placed them at (assigned them) is where i left it. Like I said they look perfect on screen but will not output at that size.

Has anyone seen this before? What is causing this and how can I fix this?

Thank you.

Blue Velvet
Sep 6, 2007, 01:58 PM
Go to your print dialogue box, check the images tab or section. Does it say 100% in the Scale field?

supermacdesign
Sep 6, 2007, 02:19 PM
Your referring to the Print window/setup/Reduce or Enlarge? That controls the output scale of the entire document right? The document itself is outputting correctly to scale just not the images within the image boxes.

Or are you talking about another location?

Blue Velvet
Sep 6, 2007, 03:24 PM
Whoops, got momentarily confuzzled. Just permanently moved to Quark 7 in the last week or so and lost track in the new print dialogue. My apologies.

What happens if you try to export postscript and run it through Distiller or make a PDF using the built-in PDF creator? Just trying to narrow down where the problem is happening, because it's a weird one, that's for sure.

supermacdesign
Sep 6, 2007, 03:44 PM
I exported a page as a PDF and the results were the same.

If you can view the PDF I attached you will see what I am talking about.

Blue Velvet
Sep 6, 2007, 04:18 PM
Hmmm... best to experiment on a copy of the file, I think. What happens if you disable OPI in the Xtensions Manager under Utilities, quit Quark, then reload the file? Which version of Quark are you using? If it's 7, have you installed the 7.3 updater?

Quark 7 will reimport images to the same settings as they're placed in picture boxes, so it might be worth updating them in the Usage box or try the old tried and tested 'reimporting all pictures upon opening' through the Open File dialogue box by keying Command (Apple) O.

Must admit that I haven't worked cross-platform in Quark for quite a few years and it's always been beset by trouble. If these things don't work, and if the deadline is pressing, then I'd take the issue straight over to Quark forums.

http://www.quark.com/service/forums/

Lau
Sep 6, 2007, 04:51 PM
It's really not helpful at all, but my first thought was that I rather like it with the close-up crops like that with the crisp typography. :D

Best of luck sorting it out though. :)

AlexisV
Sep 6, 2007, 05:21 PM
What happens if you reduce the images to 50% size in Quark?

daver11
Sep 10, 2007, 02:44 AM
If all else fails, you could "batch" the images in Photoshop, reducing the size 50% (make sure "Resample Image" is NOT checked), then update the modified images in Quark. They should pop in perfectly. If you selcet every file in the Images menu and selcet "Update Modified" they will all update without any further input from you.

To batch, open one of the images, record an action reducing the image size, saving and closing the image. Then select "Batch" from the File:Automate menu, and select the action you just created and the folder where the images are. Photoshop will automatically modify every image in the selected folder. Then update them in Quark.

That's what I'd do.

NOTE: Backup your entire job before doing this, in case you screw up.

MechaSpanky
Sep 11, 2007, 09:37 AM
supermacdesign,

I do lots of cross platform Quark work and one of the biggest problems that I run into is that many PC people tend to use JPEG's as their image format. Yes, you can use JPEG's but really JPEG's are more for the web than they are for print. I never have problems with Tiff's or EPS files but often times JPEG files give me the same problems that you are having.

The reason it causes problems is that often times PC people will open the JPEG's up and then resave them. When they resave them they often choose to optimize them and this is what causes the size changes. Also they some times place the JPEG's into Quark and then later they open them and resave them without actually updating them in their Quark file. So when you get the file you update them and then they shift places or they looked enlarged.

When you are working between platforms, every-time to move from one to another you have to "update" the images. Even they didn't resave the images you have to update them in "Picture Usage". Because of this you won't know if they have open and modified any of the images.

I don't know if the problems you are having are the same as I have experienced but if you are using JPEG's then this might be what is causing your problems. Best of luck.

oscuh
Sep 12, 2007, 01:28 PM
Ugh ... I'm going to be getting into Quark again after a several-year hiatus due to a specific project I'll be working on and this all makes me wonder what I'm getting into ... Once they started going with the Job Folder junk, Quark lost it's appeal for me ... Oh well!

Blue Velvet
Sep 12, 2007, 01:32 PM
^You'll find it much improved but beware, it's a resource-hog and is sluggish on dual 2.5 PowerMacs and 2.33 MBPs, my main two work machines. Worth getting to know some of its new features, though... just to get the best out of it.

oscuh
Sep 13, 2007, 08:20 AM
^You'll find it much improved but beware, it's a resource-hog and is sluggish on dual 2.5 PowerMacs and 2.33 MBPs, my main two work machines. Worth getting to know some of its new features, though... just to get the best out of it.

I'll be running initially on a 1.8 CD iMac :eek:

Last time I touched Quark it was Quark 5, I believe ... I'm sure I'll muddle through somehow! ;)