Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2007
iphone.tiff

So, iPod Touch, it's nice to see you! I've tried getting together with your sister iPhone but she and I never really hit it off. I know, she was GSM and I am CDMA, but really I think we could've had something going for us. I wish we did and now that I've met you, I'm worried we'll end up having the same problems.

First, where have your Internet features really gone? I know you have Safari but where are Mail, Stocks, Maps, and Weather to be found? It just kills me to think that you have so much potential but you fall so short on it. I hate to be that way iPod Touch. Don't cry... Just listen.

To really appeal to the demographic you're after you need those Internet Features. You also need iChat. Yes, I said it and I mean it. While I'm at it, where did you lose Notes to? Can you compete with PDAs if you can't even jot down a quick Memo?

iPod Touch, I know you're pretty to look at, but you're really coming across as shallow right now.

Maybe give me a call when you rethink your personality.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
You know, if the reason that iChat Mobile wasn't included in the iPhone was because of AT&T wanting you to pay for text messages, why didn't Apple throw it on the iPod Touch?? Seems like a logical move to me since they don't have to deal with AT&T for the Touch.

And I'm sure someone will be able to copy Weather, Stocks and Mail apps over to the Touch once it is released. Hackers FTW!

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Yesterday your $300 iPod didnt have wifi, no full internet browsing, no lush interface, no multitouch, no 3.5" screen, no over the air downloading, no read/write calendar, no Youtube...

Yet you're disappointed?

hatcher146

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2007
north carolina
Yesterday your $300 iPod didnt have wifi, no full internet browsing, no lush interface, no multitouch, no 3.5" screen, no over the air downloading, no read/write calendar, no Youtube...

Yet you're disappointed?

FINALLY someone i can relate to. the new iPod touch is amazing!!!

it has so many great features...just because it lacks some to its "big sister" doesnt mean its not good at all. i cant wait to get the touch. it looks sexy, it has a great UI, WIFIIIII, safair!, youtube!, it plays videos on a beautiful screen...im getting so tired of whiners. they are so annoying.
oh well.....who cares. i cant wait! :D

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006

Yet you're disappointed?

Everything the Touch got was everything that has been debated on these forums for weeks. People saying no way to WiFi (but it would be nice), don't expect a phone-less iPhone (same form factor except THINNER)...you gotta be damn pleased with this update, its an amazing device.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2007
my god IT'S A MUSIC PLAYER! THIS IS NOT A PDA! geez, it plays and you get those other things as a BONUS.

The iPod Classic is a music player.

I can't think of much bonus to the iPod Touch if all it does is cost more and hold less.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Everything the Touch got was everything that has been debated on these forums for weeks. People saying no way to WiFi (but it would be nice), don't expect a phone-less iPhone (same form factor except THINNER)...you gotta be damn pleased with this update, its an amazing device.

For real...

People basically want the iPhone. Here is a novel concept - buy the iPhone!

Its like being mad at the plain $3 KFC meal for not having the extra portions, chicken strippers and Coke thats in the $5 meal.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
But still, I think it could have been 16 and 32gb for the same price. But all these things will come in due time.

I bought a 16gb.

Have you seen the price of 32gb flash memory? There is no way they could have maintained those price points.

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2007
Chicago
Why would Apple be silly enough to put all of the iPhone features into the Touch? So the early iPhone buyers can complain even more that thier precious phone that they paid so much for is now selling for $300?

Apple wants to sell more iPhones than Touchs obviously. iPhone is supposed to be the higher end touch device. Who's going to buy an iPhone when you can get almost the same thing for $100 less?

There are also things called software updates. I'm sure we'll see a few new apps pop up into the Touch.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Have you seen the price of 32gb flash memory? There is no way they could have maintained those price points.
Yeah, that wouldn't be possible. But when I was talking to someone at school today, he told me "The touch iPod needs at least 128GB, if not 256 to make it worthwhile..."

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
The new Ipod Touch is the first ipod that I might consider on getting.

I would love to have an iphone but since I dont live in the US and who knows when it will be available here in Honduras (and at what price) is not an option for me... but this new ipod T is.

Apple said that the reason that they did not release a SDK is because they where concern about compromising the security and functionality of the iphone. It somehow makes sence on a cellphone (although windows mobile have allowed 3 party apps for years and I have never heard reports about problems with it) but in an ipod?

They should open it up for developers, then it will be great

I would love if I could use ichat or Skype and of course, Mail. Also I dont know how much capable is this Wifi. Can I connect to other devices like PCs, mobile phones? Bluetooth would be great too to use with wireless head sets. I would love to see google earth and widgets.

The app menu screen just looks too empty. It would get boring after a while.

I diont know, This ipod looks great. I dont ned a full pda, but if they could add only a few more apps it would be perfect.

just my humble opinion....

maxjg

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006

Yet you're disappointed?

Yesterday my $300 iPod had a 80GB HDD. Yeah, I'm pissed.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
For real...

People basically want the iPhone. Here is a novel concept - buy the iPhone!

Its like being mad at the plain $3 KFC meal for not having the extra portions, chicken strippers and Coke thats in the $5 meal.

Last time I checked the iPhone was unavailable outside the US. Not everyone wants a phone, either.

Now, whether or not Apple wants the iPod touch to be a PDA is another matter. :)

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2007
Chicago
Yesterday my $300 iPod had a 80GB HDD. Yeah, I'm pissed.

So your iPod is worthless now that the new iPods are cheaper? Is it not going to work anymore?

Face it, technology changes rapidly. It's stupid to buy a product then find out a month later that a new version has come out and regret buying your old one. So what if you waited to buy the new iPod today? A few months later, it will be cheaper and have higher capacity, and you'll be pissed again. The product you buy is a great product, don't regret it. Don't wait for the next version to come out, if you want it, buy it now.

bns1201

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007
geez people cmon....who honostly is going to have 16 gbs of songs THAT THEY ACTUALLY LISTEN TO!?!?!?!?!?! Personally i have narrowed nearly a 20 gb collection of music to almost 1000 songs that if happened to play i wouldnt skip....so right now my iTunes collection is at a strong 5 gbs. So i had to pick up the 16 gb cuz my collection is always gonna grow. Throw some movies on it, plus my 40 hour AA battery extender and im good to go.....haters can click and scroll all they want with an 80 gb iPod (which only about 10% is actually listened to) while I surf the internet, play an NES emulator (hopefully:D) and listen to my music on a beautiful 3.5 inch screen.....only 22 more days and im set :cool:

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
Question, how would maps work if you didn't have a constant Internet connection?

I cant see the point of it without one, it'd be too frustrating.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Question, how would maps work if you didn't have a constant Internet connection?

I cant see the point of it without one, it'd be too frustrating.

How does the Internet work without a constant internet connection? It doesn't.

Of course it'd only work where there was WiFi. It's not a GPS device.

Edwardz

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
I would not be surprised if a hacker/3rd party program got maps, weather, stocks, and even notes on the iPod touch. I can see someone even putting in some kind of chat program via wifi as well. Who knows with Hackers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.