PDA

View Full Version : RAM advice for PowerBook G4?

dferigmu
Sep 6, 2007, 03:46 PM
I only have a paltry 512MB of RAM for my 15" PowerBook 1.5GHz G4. Since having multiple applications open at once makes things excruciatingly slow, I am interested in installing some more RAM.

Where can I find good, inexpensive RAM? I know that Apple RAM is way too expensive. I’ve heard good things about Crucial.

Also, what would be the difference between getting 1GB and 512MB? How much faster would the additional 1GB be compared to the 512MB? Since I have 512MB already, can I only put another 512MB in?

Finally, any general tips when installing your own RAM?

Thanks for the help!

Naimfan
Sep 6, 2007, 03:58 PM
If you want your PB to last as long as possible, install 2 Gb of RAM. Use Crucial or OWC or other brands recommended here. I've used Crucial and OWC, both are very good.

Newegg currently has Crucial 1 Gb sticks for $74.99 each.

With 2 Gb of RAM, your PB will speed up noticeably and you'll see less of the spinning beachball.

You need to go to About This Mac and look at the RAM tab to see if you have one 512 Mb stick or 2x256. If you don't want to spend $150, try ordering one 1 Gb stick and see what a difference it makes.

Bob

velocityg4
Sep 6, 2007, 05:14 PM
If you want to save money get this memory for $59 for a 1GB stick. It has excellent customer reviews and is reported as working in the same powerbook you have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820208015

Some people have preferences for memory manufacturers just because their product worked for them or they heard/read good things about them. I for one have no loyalties I just look for really good customer on Newegg, with at least 20 reviews. This method has worked flawlessly for me on the numerous computers I have built and upgraded for friends, family and myself.

As to your other questions. Adding 1GB rather than 512MB will give you more breathing room, plus if you only buy 512MB, you only have two RAM slots so if you upgrade in the future you will have to give up one of the modules. As far as speed goes you should notice an improvement by adding 1GB when running multiple programs, an audio editor, an image editor like Photoshop or if you use iMovie. If you are running 10.4 or are upgrading to 10.5 then this upgrade would become far more noticeable.