PDA

View Full Version : 15inch PowerBooks Missing and the 19th?

MacRumors
Aug 14, 2003, 12:49 PM
AppleInsider's News Bytes (http://www.appleinsider.com/news_bytes.php) update with a blurb that Microcenter no longer are advertising 15" PowerBooks.

AppleInsider also reports hearing the August 19th date, but unclear about the origin of the date.

Nitrous250
Aug 14, 2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
AppleInsider's News Bytes (http://www.appleinsider.com/news_bytes.php) update with a blurb that Microcenter no longer are advertising 15" PowerBooks.

AppleInsider also reports hearing the August 19th date, but unclear about the origin of the date.

This is INSANE, i have been reading this stuff on here for the entire summer and I am leaving the country in 12 days. I am moving to the carribean for school and waiting and waiting for new 15 inch Powerbook. To be safe I got the new Sony Z1 laptop since have 23 more days to return it just incase the new Powerbook comes out. Does anyone really know anything or are we all just hoping and hoping cause I am so fed up allready that I just wana go to the apple store and start yelling at everyone for my new powerbook. SOMEONE HELP ME HERE
sony is nice but for all that money im not impressed, i wana switch to mac allready so lets go here APPLE

Freg3000
Aug 14, 2003, 01:01 PM
The 19th seems good to me. MacPrices (http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml) is saying that they should be here soon. :)

SpeedRacr26
Aug 14, 2003, 01:01 PM
well i finally just went for a 17 in PB since i leave for school on the 20th, the 19th just isnt early enough for me BUT i couldnt be happier, the 17in really isnt as big as i thought it would be....quick question tho, does the 17 in have the same keyboard marking the screen problem as the 15in??

cubist
Aug 14, 2003, 01:28 PM
The "keyboard marking the screen" problem doesn't occur for many people. I suspect some folks are not getting their keyboard locked down properly. Since the 17" keyboard doesn't open up (it's a much better keyboard!), I doubt that you'd have any trouble. If you like, put a piece of paper between the two when you close the lid.

I don't have a 17", but I wish I did. That keyboard... that case... it's vastly better than the TiBook.

kenaustus
Aug 14, 2003, 01:40 PM
Nitrous,

You got a Z1 because the new 15" PB isn't out yet?

I've got the "old dog" 15" and consider it a hell of a laptop - better than Sony has.

THe PB is one tough SOB - LAX security dropped it off the x-ray belt and it bounced several times on a very hard floor. I had to reseat the keyboard connection (a simple task even for an old fart like me) and it worked fine. Did replace the bottom cover later as it was really bashed. Look at the Sony and see if you think it is as tough.

Look at PC Mags recent customer service ratings for Apple (an "A+") and Sony has a "significantly below average" rating for satisfaction with tech support. I now LOVE AppleCare - they actually give a damn about helping you.

For the same amount of money you could have picked up an "old dog" with the memory maxed out and Apple Care, plus the new student version of Office. Maybe even an iPod thrown in for a bit of fun. Or a 12" PM or iBook with a 20" display for your desk.

If the newer PB's aren't available (thanks to Moto dragging their @ss) then you have 3 PBs to choose from (as well as an iBook) that are fantastic when compared to a wintel offering. I've been in both world and, when it comes to buying a wintel box, I'm outta there.

There will probably be new PB's very soon (thanks to IBM) and a lot of prople will stand in line to get one. After a month or two, however, they will be reading rumours of the "soon to be released" G5 PB and will start getting excited yet again. I've been through the laptop envy bit since the 80's and know the feeling!

My advice - look at the options available today at the Apple Store. Look at a smaller PB or iBook with the larger screen. Think about the iBook now then going for a G5 next summer, or a maxed out 12" PB to last for a few years.

There is always going to be a new Mac "coming soon" and, even if you were lucky enough to get one of the soon-to-be-released versions (which will be very difficult on your schedule) you will start reading about the G5 PB before your first mid-term exams.

Get a Mac and start enjoying it. You will still have the excitement of Panther soon, but will have the Mac experience today.

Good luck and have a great time in school!

PS. Where you're going - take a digital camera with you!

jzieske
Aug 14, 2003, 02:02 PM
Here we go again!

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 02:18 PM
The new PowerBooks will be here soon...keeping the faith...

Winston Smith
Aug 14, 2003, 02:44 PM
Powerbook G5 - Can you put a moto logo in your Avatar please.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 02:49 PM
That's a good one...Moto sure is getting annoying.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 03:29 PM
Damn, I made an avatar with Calvin pissing on the Motorola logo, but when you shrink it down to size, the logo just shows up as a blur...I guess I reached the limitation of Adobe PhotoDeluxe! Ah well, c'est la vie.

x-virge
Aug 14, 2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by cubist
The "keyboard marking the screen" problem doesn't occur for many people. I suspect some folks are not getting their keyboard locked down properly.

What?? Every TiBook owner I know has the problem. Some didn't know that they did, but I asked to see their screens and I saw it.

I can assure you that my keyboard is locked down properly.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 06:16 PM
I've used my PowerBook daily for 4 years and never once had this issue, so it's not something that affects everyone apparently...if it does, then clean the screen and use something over the keyboard to shield your screen.

mcm
Aug 14, 2003, 06:41 PM
Maybe new PB's are finally on the way (we can hope :) ), but I wouldn't take Microcenter as an indication -- I've been thinking about buying a PB for a long time (1.5+ years), so I periodically check out Microcenter's site. Different PB models seem to come-and-go from their site. Sometimes the 17 is on there, sometimes not. Sometimes the 12 is on there, sometimes not. Ditto the 15. I never figured-out why.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 07:09 PM
I'm sure it's just to give the different models their time in the sun to keep interest in each one somewhat equal.

mim
Aug 14, 2003, 08:40 PM
Marked screens come from typing with grubby fingers - you grots! If you live somewhere hotter you probably notice it more - you'd be a little sweatier. Just wipe screen and keyboard with one of those nifty "made for lcd" cleaner cloths every now and then. Many laptops (even non apple ones) have this problem. But this shouldn't really worry anyone - clean body, clean soul and all that. ;)

Back to topic - I don't check them all the time, but the non-apple store retailers down this way are having "this week only" specials on powerbooks and imacs (the prices aren't much cheaper than normal, but some are giving apple-care with the machines...). I'm guessing that these are demo stock that they are trying to get rid of.

Like most people I'm very tired of the pb rumors. But damn I want a new one. And these daily pb forums do help to fill in the time between tuesdays.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 08:51 PM
Let's hope they come out on Tuesday, I for one am being driven crazy waiting for them!

Zuckuss
Aug 14, 2003, 08:54 PM
My credit card is warmed for an Apple shopping spree on Tuesday!

DHagan4755
Aug 14, 2003, 09:04 PM
I'm ready.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 09:08 PM
"Lock and load, lock and load! It's go time, bouyah!"

justinf77
Aug 14, 2003, 09:17 PM
I wish I owned a business like this where thousands of people were waiting on my word to spend thousands of dollars on my products...

tizza
Aug 14, 2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
The new PowerBooks will be here soon...keeping the faith...
Preach it brother - I AM a believer ;)

blueflame
Aug 14, 2003, 11:25 PM
there is a great thng t fix this problem, its is a screen cover that is really really nice, i also have the case which i also recommend. I would actually suggest every apple laptop ovner getting both of these, they are great.
www.radtech.us best mac accessory...
Andreas

x-virge
Aug 14, 2003, 11:38 PM
I've used my PowerBook daily for 4 years and never once had this issue, so it's not something that affects everyone apparently...if it does, then clean the screen and use something over the keyboard to shield your screen.

Or you've just never seen it under the right lighting conditions such that the marks are visible.

The marks are a *bitch* to get off, really. "clean the screen" is a lot harder than it sounds if you're trying to get rid of the marks.

And yeah, I know there are keyboard covers and all that stuff, but they're incredibly annoying to have to bring everywhere I bring my laptop. It's a problem. It exists. It's not my fault.

cb911
Aug 15, 2003, 01:53 AM
it's probably just a matter of time before other places stop advertising the 15". i'm still very optimistic for Tuesday!! :D

and on the subject of keys marking the screen... I had a PowerBook 15" and I did get marks on the screen. but when i wasn't travelling with it and just closed the lid it didn't mark.

so i've come to the conclusion that it only marks if you put it in a bag or someting and then there is pressure on the top of the screen to make it press against the keys. there is a fair amount of flex in the TiBooks, more than enough to make the screen press against the keys.

stockscalper
Aug 15, 2003, 07:45 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Somebody wake me when the new Powerbooks REALLY start shipping.

bobindashadows
Aug 15, 2003, 09:57 AM
It's not avatar worth, but:
http://www.ebola.com/peeman.gif

You can find it at www.ebola.com, at the bottom. I found it 3 years ago doing a research paper on Ebola :lol:

I think this is finally the real deal. If not, then I will be forced to kick someone square in the nuts.

edit: vbulletin pisses me off.... I didn't realize IMG tags were off, which is understandable, but when I went to edit it wouldn't let me attach an image! AH well, just click the link.

Nemesis
Aug 15, 2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by stockscalper
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Somebody wake me when the new Powerbooks REALLY start shipping.

Exactly!
PB 15" was updated about 10 months ago. Hello, 10 months ago!!!!
Then, since its introduction 20 months ago (!!), iMac increased its processor power/speed by only ******** 200 MHz?!?!?!
I think that G4 line absolutely stinks!

We'll see next update only when they move their lazy bottoms and figure out how to put G5 into their lines.

Apple Corp. is an idiotic company. Thousands of people are waiting to buy NEW toys, and they do nothing ... for 10 months!!! Or, in iMac's case, even worse (twice!) than that!!

IDTheft
Aug 15, 2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Nemesis
Exactly!
PB 15" was updated about 10 months ago. Hello, 10 months ago!!!!
Then, since its introduction 20 months ago (!!), iMac increased its processor power/speed by only ******** 200 MHz?!?!?!
I think that G4 line absolutely stinks!

We'll see next update only when they move their lazy bottoms and figure out how to put G5 into their lines.

Apple Corp. is an idiotic company. Thousands of people are waiting to buy NEW toys, and they do nothing ... for 10 months!!! Or, in iMac's case, even worse (twice!) than that!!

Ahhh.... Welcom to Steve's world. Where it's Steve's way or the highway. He's probably been flying around the world in his jet with a G5 15" PB since January laughing at the plebians like us clamoring for a piece of the shiny 15" Al Pbook.

mrsebastian
Aug 15, 2003, 11:17 AM
i want my 15pb and i want it yesterday damn it!
...i mean it steve!
...for the love of god man, i need a new pb!!!!
...i'm ok... really (sob)

Nitrous250
Aug 15, 2003, 11:27 AM
I am so very happy to say that yesterday I went to the apple store and just couldnt handle it anymore. I GOT A 17 Inch Powerbook and this thing is AMAZING. I just sent the Sony Z1 laptop back to sony and couldnt feel better about it. Plus, if on tuesday a new one comes out i can bring this one back and get the new one no problem.
The new powerbook is charging as we speak but since i have no power at my house this is coming to you live from my office.

agentmouthwash
Aug 15, 2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Nitrous250

The new powerbook is charging as we speak but since i have no power at my house this is coming to you live from my office.

Lucky you :) I sat in my powerless Queens apartment last night wishing I had a powerbook to play with. I can't wait till the new 15" comes out!

iknownothing
Aug 15, 2003, 02:36 PM
Don't know if this has been posted already, but the Apple education price for individual purchase has been lowered to match that of a school purchase - it's now $1799.

iknownothing
Aug 15, 2003, 02:50 PM
In fact all individual purchase prices for powerbooks and imacs have been reduced in line with school purchases - are Apple trying to clear the last few?

ketamine
Aug 15, 2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by iknownothing
the Apple education price for individual purchase has been lowered to match that of a school purchase - it's now $1799.

$1799 is for the 867 machine, as a student here in the UK we are looking at 1835.35 for the 1ghz machine still. (1.5x1) I have to admit that i am experiencing the same torture as everyone else on the release of the 15" machine, but I am intersted that everyone had dropped the idea that a machine of some sort may exist with both a PPC and an (was it) Itanium chip in it...

gopher
Aug 16, 2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by blueflame
there is a great thng t fix this problem, its is a screen cover that is really really nice, i also have the case which i also recommend. I would actually suggest every apple laptop ovner getting both of these, they are great.
www.radtech.us best mac accessory...
Andreas

Or you can spend a penny on a sheet of paper and put it between the keyboard and screen. Why spend $12 on a screen protector when a penny will suffice?

ColoJohnBoy
Aug 16, 2003, 06:49 PM
Dear Lord. I've been optimistically awaiting PowerBook updates since May, became imptaient and bought a 1GHz PowerBook with 1GB RAM. It's wonderful, and I don't regret it in the slightest.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the 19th to see if it brings anything new, but I'm not counting on it. I'm perfectly happy with my TiBook (Who I've named "Bernard Shaw". My 800 MHz TiBook was named "Orson Welles".) though I daresay if, whenever the updates come, there are sufficient kick-ass features that I'll I'll pitch Bernard on eBay, through in few hundred extra bucks, and get new 15".

Visit Blue Pudding!
http://bluepudding.1hwy.com

crees!
Aug 16, 2003, 08:18 PM
I can not wait for the new powerbooks to come out, because I will buy one then NEVER goto another forum like this again till I'm in the market for another Apple machine... which will be atleast 2 years from now. You guys make me go crazy. Stop scaring away all the switchers ;)

RBFTrendy
Aug 16, 2003, 09:24 PM
Does anyone have any idea if this new powerbook is going to be bumped up in price also? Cause yeah, i'm a college student who doesnt exactly have the largest budget and 2000 is about my stopping point at the moment.

Six
Aug 17, 2003, 12:18 AM
i've set my deadline... the 19th. if nothing new comes out on the 19th, i'll buy what they have now.. i know i wont be dissapointed, but i'd prefer something new. i leave for school on the 20th, so getting it that day probably wont be too easy. so many people are like "oh, i'll just have to wait a little longer on my 700MHZ tibook" me? i'll be sitting still on my 233 mhz imac rev b. hehe, oh well. :D

anyhow, when do you guys think shipping will be? that day? or september like the g5s? Christmas? hehe, i dont think it'll be quite that long..

ColoJohnBoy
Aug 17, 2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by x-virge
Or you've just never seen it under the right lighting conditions such that the marks are visible.

The marks are a *bitch* to get off, really. "clean the screen" is a lot harder than it sounds if you're trying to get rid of the marks.

I think it varies from machine to machine. I got the marks on my 800MHz TiBook, but haven't had any on my 1Ghz model, yet I treat it and use it the exact same way. And the marks were quite easy to get off, actually. Spray some Windex on a Kleenex, and they came right. No pressure scrubbing or anything.

Visit Blue Pudding!
http://bluepudding.1hwy.com

SuperMatt
Aug 17, 2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
I think it varies from machine to machine. I got the marks on my 800MHz TiBook, but haven't had any on my 1Ghz model, yet I treat it and use it the exact same way. And the marks were quite easy to get off, actually. Spray some Windex on a Kleenex, and they came right. No pressure scrubbing or anything.

I think it depends on usage as well. I've seen G3 powerbooks with major screen markings and G4 powerbooks with screen markings as well. I've also seen old G3 powerbooks with years of use with no screen markings. After seeing all those machines, when I bought my G4/800 Powerbook, I've always put a piece of paper between the keyboard and screen. I know for a fact that the screen markings are the worst when you carry the computer around a lot so that there is pressure pushing the keys into the screen. This is not just on Apple laptops, but it is more common on them because they make a nice keyboard and they have such thin machines. The combination means that squeezing the computer will mark up the screen.

Matthew

MacFan26
Aug 17, 2003, 06:16 AM
I know that everything always comes out on Tuesdays, but is there a specific reason for that? I always wondered.

MattG
Aug 17, 2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by SuperMatt
I think it depends on usage as well. I've seen G3 powerbooks with major screen markings and G4 powerbooks with screen markings as well. I've also seen old G3 powerbooks with years of use with no screen markings. After seeing all those machines, when I bought my G4/800 Powerbook, I've always put a piece of paper between the keyboard and screen. I know for a fact that the screen markings are the worst when you carry the computer around a lot so that there is pressure pushing the keys into the screen. This is not just on Apple laptops, but it is more common on them because they make a nice keyboard and they have such thin machines. The combination means that squeezing the computer will mark up the screen.

Matthew We've got about 100 Dell Latitudes at the school I work at, the the marks on the screens are very common.

Nitrous250
Aug 17, 2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Six
i've set my deadline... the 19th. if nothing new comes out on the 19th, i'll buy what they have now.. i know i wont be dissapointed, but i'd prefer something new. i leave for school on the 20th, so getting it that day probably wont be too easy. so many people are like "oh, i'll just have to wait a little longer on my 700MHZ tibook" me? i'll be sitting still on my 233 mhz imac rev b. hehe, oh well. :D

anyhow, when do you guys think shipping will be? that day? or september like the g5s? Christmas? hehe, i dont think it'll be quite that long..

You are in the exact same boat as me. I just went for it and got the 17 inch Powerbook and let me tell you, "I love it". I never used a MAC before so its a learning experience but I love it so far. Also, if a new one comes out Tuesday and is available I can bring mine back and get that one since I have 10 days to get it. But if not I am off to the island of St. Kitts for 3 years with my 17 inch Powerbook.
Also, like you said, if they do announce it Tuesday it still may not be available for a while so only time will tell and I can promise you one thing, I will be awake nice and early Tuesday awaiting all news of Apple products.

SpeedRacr26
Aug 17, 2003, 03:33 PM
This might be a little random, but i always read about people running disk utility to repair permissions, where can i find disk utility? and btw, my brand spankin new, first new mac since my IIGS, 17"PB is amazing, i dont know why i spent all those years on dells

gopher
Aug 17, 2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacr26
This might be a little random, but i always read about people running disk utility to repair permissions, where can i find disk utility? and btw, my brand spankin new, first new mac since my IIGS, 17"PB is amazing, i dont know why i spent all those years on dells

Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility will repair permissions in its First Aid tab after selecting the hard disk. It can take 5 to 15 minutes.

To repair disk, use the Disk Utility on your Installer CD or DVD-ROM that came with your computer. That Disk Utility is only available after forcing the installer to start the computer by double clicking its application on the CD. Once the installer has started the computer you will have an Installer menu which has a Disk Utility and in that Disk Utility is a Repair Disk button in the First Aid tab. If Repair Disk fails after four tries to say "The hard disk appears to be OK", you'll need to backup your data to another drive first, and run Alsoft.com's Disk Warrior on your machine. I emphasize the importance that you backup your data frequently as when the Disk directory needs repair that repair disk can't do, either the directory is very seriously damaged, or the hard drive is near failure. A badly damaged directory will be fixed by Disk Warrior. But a drive near death can't be recouperated. Don't run Repair Permissions from this Disk Utility unless your computer is otherwise unbootable and a Repair Disk shows no errors and the machine is still unable to boot off the hard drive.
The Repair Permissions is unique that version of Mac OS X which is on the installer CD, and has been updated in the Disk Utility for each new update of Mac OS X since that installer CD was made. For further tips, visit my FAQ:

http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html

SpeedRacr26
Aug 17, 2003, 05:16 PM
wow!..thanx gopher, if i ever need it now ill know what to do

gopher
Aug 17, 2003, 05:40 PM
You are welcome.

ITMediaCo
Aug 18, 2003, 10:43 PM

Anyone here have experience with Klear Screen?

I received a sample pack at MacWorld and used it on my 15" TiBook's screen (already had considerable markings from the keyboard). Hmm... I must have done something wrong, because my entire screen is streaked and smudged.

Fed up... I decided to buy the competitor's screen cleaner (Radtech) and Screensaverz cloth. It removed the smudges, but left an outline of the keys on my screen...

Matt The Moose
Aug 19, 2003, 12:59 PM
Apple HE store (UK) is running a finance promo on iMac, iBook and pBook until 30th September, and I doubt they'd be running that over into new models. It looks like they're trying to clear out stock for something new in early October... :(

pstoehr
Aug 21, 2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Macrumors

Today it is the 21th and no PBs :-(

RobR
Aug 23, 2003, 04:06 PM
My local Apple store has taken the 15" Powerbook off the laptop display. Only the 12" and 17" where displayed and no spot for a 15". Are they waiting for the new models or is there no stock of the old to sell? I don't think it's as simple as a 15" missing (being repaired, whatever) if they bothered to redo the layout. The few 15" were only present on the sidelines. No prices, etc...

I asked one of the reps if he could comment about the missing 15" and of course the answer was a nope.

I think they're coming, could be shipping problems... as they hadn't received the new G5s yet either, and they were just as surprised...

jaedreth
Aug 25, 2003, 02:37 PM
Deja vu...

Jaedreth

RobR
Aug 31, 2003, 05:17 PM
Another local Apple Store with no 15" Powerbooks on display... but they did have the G5... one sweet looking machine...