Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nitrous250

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2003
Re: 15inch PowerBooks Missing and the 19th?

Originally posted by Macrumors
AppleInsider's News Bytes update with a blurb that Microcenter no longer are advertising 15" PowerBooks.

AppleInsider also reports hearing the August 19th date, but unclear about the origin of the date.

This is INSANE, i have been reading this stuff on here for the entire summer and I am leaving the country in 12 days. I am moving to the carribean for school and waiting and waiting for new 15 inch Powerbook. To be safe I got the new Sony Z1 laptop since have 23 more days to return it just incase the new Powerbook comes out. Does anyone really know anything or are we all just hoping and hoping cause I am so fed up allready that I just wana go to the apple store and start yelling at everyone for my new powerbook. SOMEONE HELP ME HERE
sony is nice but for all that money im not impressed, i wana switch to mac allready so lets go here APPLE

SpeedRacr26

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
NY
well i finally just went for a 17 in PB since i leave for school on the 20th, the 19th just isnt early enough for me BUT i couldnt be happier, the 17in really isnt as big as i thought it would be....quick question tho, does the 17 in have the same keyboard marking the screen problem as the 15in??

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The "keyboard marking the screen" problem doesn't occur for many people. I suspect some folks are not getting their keyboard locked down properly. Since the 17" keyboard doesn't open up (it's a much better keyboard!), I doubt that you'd have any trouble. If you like, put a piece of paper between the two when you close the lid.

I don't have a 17", but I wish I did. That keyboard... that case... it's vastly better than the TiBook.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
Yoiu got a Z1

Nitrous,

You got a Z1 because the new 15" PB isn't out yet?

I've got the "old dog" 15" and consider it a hell of a laptop - better than Sony has.

THe PB is one tough SOB - LAX security dropped it off the x-ray belt and it bounced several times on a very hard floor. I had to reseat the keyboard connection (a simple task even for an old fart like me) and it worked fine. Did replace the bottom cover later as it was really bashed. Look at the Sony and see if you think it is as tough.

Look at PC Mags recent customer service ratings for Apple (an "A+") and Sony has a "significantly below average" rating for satisfaction with tech support. I now LOVE AppleCare - they actually give a damn about helping you.

For the same amount of money you could have picked up an "old dog" with the memory maxed out and Apple Care, plus the new student version of Office. Maybe even an iPod thrown in for a bit of fun. Or a 12" PM or iBook with a 20" display for your desk.

If the newer PB's aren't available (thanks to Moto dragging their @ss) then you have 3 PBs to choose from (as well as an iBook) that are fantastic when compared to a wintel offering. I've been in both world and, when it comes to buying a wintel box, I'm outta there.

There will probably be new PB's very soon (thanks to IBM) and a lot of prople will stand in line to get one. After a month or two, however, they will be reading rumours of the "soon to be released" G5 PB and will start getting excited yet again. I've been through the laptop envy bit since the 80's and know the feeling!

My advice - look at the options available today at the Apple Store. Look at a smaller PB or iBook with the larger screen. Think about the iBook now then going for a G5 next summer, or a maxed out 12" PB to last for a few years.

There is always going to be a new Mac "coming soon" and, even if you were lucky enough to get one of the soon-to-be-released versions (which will be very difficult on your schedule) you will start reading about the G5 PB before your first mid-term exams.

Get a Mac and start enjoying it. You will still have the excitement of Panther soon, but will have the Mac experience today.

Good luck and have a great time in school!

PS. Where you're going - take a digital camera with you!

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Damn, I made an avatar with Calvin pissing on the Motorola logo, but when you shrink it down to size, the logo just shows up as a blur...I guess I reached the limitation of Adobe PhotoDeluxe! Ah well, c'est la vie.

x-virge

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2003
Originally posted by cubist
The "keyboard marking the screen" problem doesn't occur for many people. I suspect some folks are not getting their keyboard locked down properly.

What?? Every TiBook owner I know has the problem. Some didn't know that they did, but I asked to see their screens and I saw it.

I can assure you that my keyboard is locked down properly.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I've used my PowerBook daily for 4 years and never once had this issue, so it's not something that affects everyone apparently...if it does, then clean the screen and use something over the keyboard to shield your screen.

mcm

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2003
Microcenter changes alot

Maybe new PB's are finally on the way (we can hope :) ), but I wouldn't take Microcenter as an indication -- I've been thinking about buying a PB for a long time (1.5+ years), so I periodically check out Microcenter's site. Different PB models seem to come-and-go from their site. Sometimes the 17 is on there, sometimes not. Sometimes the 12 is on there, sometimes not. Ditto the 15. I never figured-out why.

mim

macrumors 6502
Marked screens come from typing with grubby fingers - you grots! If you live somewhere hotter you probably notice it more - you'd be a little sweatier. Just wipe screen and keyboard with one of those nifty "made for lcd" cleaner cloths every now and then. Many laptops (even non apple ones) have this problem. But this shouldn't really worry anyone - clean body, clean soul and all that. ;)

Back to topic - I don't check them all the time, but the non-apple store retailers down this way are having "this week only" specials on powerbooks and imacs (the prices aren't much cheaper than normal, but some are giving apple-care with the machines...). I'm guessing that these are demo stock that they are trying to get rid of.

Like most people I'm very tired of the pb rumors. But damn I want a new one. And these daily pb forums do help to fill in the time between tuesdays.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I wish I owned a business like this where thousands of people were waiting on my word to spend thousands of dollars on my products...

Last edited:

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
Keyboard marks on screen

there is a great thng t fix this problem, its is a screen cover that is really really nice, i also have the case which i also recommend. I would actually suggest every apple laptop ovner getting both of these, they are great.
http://www.radtech.us best mac accessory...
Andreas

x-virge

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2003
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I've used my PowerBook daily for 4 years and never once had this issue, so it's not something that affects everyone apparently...if it does, then clean the screen and use something over the keyboard to shield your screen.

Or you've just never seen it under the right lighting conditions such that the marks are visible.

The marks are a *bitch* to get off, really. "clean the screen" is a lot harder than it sounds if you're trying to get rid of the marks.

And yeah, I know there are keyboard covers and all that stuff, but they're incredibly annoying to have to bring everywhere I bring my laptop. It's a problem. It exists. It's not my fault.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
it's probably just a matter of time before other places stop advertising the 15". i'm still very optimistic for Tuesday!! :D

and on the subject of keys marking the screen... I had a PowerBook 15" and I did get marks on the screen. but when i wasn't travelling with it and just closed the lid it didn't mark.

so i've come to the conclusion that it only marks if you put it in a bag or someting and then there is pressure on the top of the screen to make it press against the keys. there is a fair amount of flex in the TiBooks, more than enough to make the screen press against the keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.