PDA

View Full Version : Advice On Buying My Touch?

tylersail
Sep 6, 2007, 04:56 PM
im thinking its going to be a lot smarter to buy instore because I'll get the ipod touch as soon as it comes out. advice?

swwack91
Sep 6, 2007, 05:00 PM
agreed. and you can play with it at the store - just in case it's different in person than you imagined.

I HAVE to go see it. I'm torn b/w the 80GB Classic or the 16GB Touch.

PygmySurfer
Sep 6, 2007, 05:01 PM
im thinking its going to be a lot smarter to buy instore because I'll get the ipod touch as soon as it comes out. advice?

Sure, if they're not sold out by the time you get there. Of course, since you haven't ordered yet, there might be a delay ordering it online now (I think I saw another poster mention his ships the Oct. 5th, mine ships Sep. 28th).

Not having an Apple store nearby made it much easier for me :)

gloss
Sep 6, 2007, 05:05 PM
I don't know why I bothered ordering online. I live near two Apple Stores.

I just cancelled my web order. o.O

rbroady
Sep 6, 2007, 05:07 PM
do you think they will make an official announcment for when it hits stores, i would like to be at the store as early as possible considering the traffic that the Soho and 5th ave stores get.

N2A
Sep 6, 2007, 05:41 PM
do you think there will be a price drop for the iPod touch in the next 2 months?

screensaver400
Sep 6, 2007, 05:43 PM
do you think there will be a price drop for the iPod touch in the next 2 months?

I doubt it. While some people tried to justify the iPhone's price, people pretty much agreed that it was too expensive. I don't think there's that feeling with the Touch.

swwack91
Sep 6, 2007, 06:18 PM
i encourage people to think about the $/GB ratio.

for the 80GB Classic it's $3.11/GB
for the 8GB Touch it's $37.38/GB

a point to bring up?

Xavier
Sep 6, 2007, 06:22 PM
Sure, if they're not sold out by the time you get there. Of course, since you haven't ordered yet, there might be a delay ordering it online now (I think I saw another poster mention his ships the Oct. 5th, mine ships Sep. 28th).

Not having an Apple store nearby made it much easier for me :)

I ordered mine and it ships the 28th as well. The way I see it is, I can get it shipped to my house rather than here at my dorm room, and I can insure that I get one. I don't like to wait in lines.

Plus I think its a little safer to have it sent to and picked up at my house, rather than having it sit in my resident hall

robPOD
Sep 6, 2007, 06:37 PM

a point to bring up?

But does the classic have safari or a touch screen?

FunkyMonkey
Sep 6, 2007, 06:45 PM

Not unless Apple comes out with another new iPod in the next to months.
In other words, the reason they dropped the price of iPhone is because they still want people to buy it even though there is a Touch.

swwack91
Sep 6, 2007, 07:29 PM
But does the classic have safari or a touch screen?

No, but I'm just bringing useful information to the table! Fair & balanced! lol
:D

arcadehj2000
Sep 7, 2007, 03:34 AM

a point to bring up?

i agree that the touch really does seem to be a bit overpriced, but its not that logical to compare the classic and touch, because theyre two almost totally different devices. if anything, compare the touch and iphone.

aswitcher
Sep 7, 2007, 04:00 AM

a point to bring up?

I encourage people to think of the screen scale ratio

for the 80GB iPod classic it's 2.5" -> 1.96" x 1.47" = 2.89" sqr / 320-by-240-pixels = 76,800 pixels.
for the 8GB iPod touch it's 3.5" -> 2.95" x 1.96" = 5.78" sqr / 480-by-320-pixels = 153,600 pixels.

So 1" diagonal more means double the physical and pixel screen real-estate.

Scarlet Fever
Sep 7, 2007, 04:19 AM

a point to bring up?

By that reasoning, the only iPod people should buy is the 160GB iPod classic. The shuffle is the worst; $79 US/GB :p

swwack91
Sep 7, 2007, 02:14 PM
point-counterpoint lmfao - good one

well on the subject of the screen pixels and stuff...

that would make me think that i should take advantage of it and load higher quality video...

which would even more easily fill my theoretical Touch.

gloss
Sep 7, 2007, 02:16 PM

a point to bring up?

I encourage people to think about the durability and reliability of a device based around solid-state electronic memory compared to one based on a couple of magnetized metal platters that spin in very fast circles and are read with a moving drive head.

Price isn't everything, you know.

aethelbert
Sep 7, 2007, 02:20 PM

a point to bring up?
That's a good point, but one must remember that many people will be buying the touch for the wifi and then just add a smaller music/video collection to it. The two devices are completely different and I don't really think that price per gigabyte is the best way to compare them.

shoelessone
Sep 7, 2007, 02:20 PM
Another totally derailled Touch thread :)

Back on topic, I personally am going to be camping out at a store (well, probably just getting there when they open) in order to secure my touch when they are released. I'm hoping this will work for me. I'll also be calling (assuming I don't hear anything official) on the days leading up to the 28th to see if I can get any info.

swwack91
Sep 7, 2007, 02:21 PM
well on durability -

what about the sq. inches on each device vulnerable to scratches.

the whole purpose of the Touch's screen is to touch it. Smudges, scratches?

what about being about to put a rubber/plastic cover on the Touch? the screen would still be exposed.

gloss
Sep 7, 2007, 02:22 PM
the screen would still be exposed.

Have you dealt with an iPhone? The glass on that screen is obscenely durable. Arstechnica took a knife to it and couldn't make a scratch.

Smudging is visible when the screen is black, but as soon as the image comes up they vanish. Magical.

swwack91
Sep 7, 2007, 02:28 PM
that's really cool.

and, no, i don't have an iPhone. Playing with one for a few seconds tho!