PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a G4 Powerbook

thevintagesound
Sep 6, 2007, 07:21 PM
Hey guys I am new to the forum so I wasnt able to put a WTB in the Marketplace. I am looking for a G4 Powerbook 15" or 17" at 1 Ghz or more. I have been watching craigslist.com for a while and so far some are good while other adds are scams. Is there another place to look for besides there or ebay?

I am looking to spend between $450 - 600.

Thanks for your help. Cant wait to join the everyone in the Mac world.

iSaint
Sep 6, 2007, 07:40 PM
Keep lurking about. Someone may PM you with what you're looking for. You can look in the Marketplace, you just can't post. :D

ricgnzlzcr
Sep 6, 2007, 07:46 PM
I think you should be patient and stick with craigslist because that way you'll get to play with what you're getting before you get it. At that price it'll be a little hard for a 15-17 inch powerbook, but definitely possible.

thevintagesound
Sep 7, 2007, 09:21 AM
Keep lurking about. Someone may PM you with what you're looking for. You can look in the Marketplace, you just can't post. :D

Thanks guys, I will keep a watch out on the Marketplace board.

As for Craigslist, so far the last 3 or 4 that I have inquired about are scams. You know the one where they are in the UK and they will ship by some company called TNT.

feelthefire
Sep 7, 2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys, I will keep a watch out on the Marketplace board.

As for Craigslist, so far the last 3 or 4 that I have inquired about are scams. You know the one where they are in the UK and they will ship by some company called TNT.

You're probably finding those scams because your price range is a little low. a 15" g4 at 1ghz will generally go for at minimum the upper end of your range. check completed auctions on ebay to get a more realistic idea of what you'll have to spend.

fgbogdan
Sep 8, 2007, 09:29 PM
well i cant see a PB go for that low....maybe 2-3 years from now.
i have one of the last that were built and still running strong. i'm
actually getting ready to sell it but it'll be bundled up with all my
audio software so it wont be cheap -$1500-
i see you're a music guy so if you're looking for a good g4 that has
some great editing software than pm me and we can talk otherwise
look on the ebay market and you should be able to find something
a bit cheaper.

booksacool1
Sep 9, 2007, 04:11 AM
Powerbook's seem to hold their value disproportionately well to their actual performance. :rolleyes:

It would be much more advisable to consider a used Macbook or similar. Faster, newer, cheaper/similar price.

jonnylink
Sep 9, 2007, 08:55 PM
EDIT: I was going to offer my old powerbook for $50, but it is in such horrible shape that I don't think I can sell it without feeling guilty. It may only need a few new things or it might be a parts machine, but since I don't know I can't sell it and not bad about it.

Sorry for the wasted post.

kuebby
Sep 9, 2007, 11:47 PM
I'll back CL too. I've seen a few 15" PBs on the DC CL that are the last revision for about $600-700.

Veritas&Equitas
Sep 9, 2007, 11:58 PM
well i cant see a PB go for that low....maybe 2-3 years from now.

No, check eBay or CL. A normal 15'', 1.33 ghz/1 gb memory Powerbook is in the $575-700 range.

sinisterdesign
Sep 10, 2007, 10:34 AM
crud, i wish i could sell you mine, but until my company gets funding, i need to hold onto it. i've been itching for one of the new intelbooks, but mine will have to hold me for now.

good luck!

thevintagesound
Sep 10, 2007, 12:06 PM
EDIT: I was going to offer my old powerbook for $50, but it is in such horrible shape that I don't think I can sell it without feeling guilty. It may only need a few new things or it might be a parts machine, but since I don't know I can't sell it and not bad about it.

Sorry for the wasted post.

What was wrong with it? PM me the details.

For those dealing with the price I can more than likely swing up to $700, if someone has one in that ballpark.

mox123
Sep 10, 2007, 01:32 PM
hmmm i had a 1.25GHz, 15" Powerbook with 512MB of RAM, 80GB, combo drive with adobe CS2, mathematica 6, iWork, iLife, etc...and sold it to my friend for $250....my selling price was too low?????

:eek:

why would someone pay this much for a 4 year old machine when they can spend less for a brand new PC laptop with much better performace??

thevintagesound
Sep 10, 2007, 01:40 PM
hmmm i had a 1.25GHz, 15" Powerbook with 512MB of RAM, 80GB, combo drive with adobe CS2, mathematica 6, iWork, iLife, etc...and sold it to my friend for $250....my selling price was too low?????

why would someone pay this much for a 4 year old machine when they can spend less for a brand new PC laptop with much better performace??

Because there are those of us that I have dealt with the Windows world long enough. I am not going to go to Vista. And no I am not trying to start flame war. I just choose to go to mac.

Veritas&Equitas
Sep 10, 2007, 01:41 PM

Yes, like $300 low. You didn't check any market prices before you sold it? A simple check on eBay or Craigslist and you would have seen that machine still runs like $550-600. Simply b/c the G4's hold value VERY well.

Silverbird0000
Sep 10, 2007, 02:07 PM
Even in the Apple refurb store a 15", 1.5 Ghz, 512mb ram, and 80Gb hard drive is still selling for around $1200. And even more for the 17 inchers. They hold value VERY well. I have one with the exact spec from above that I am thinking about selling, but it has CS2 on it and other things. I will prob sell it for $1000. It still runs just as good as the day I bought it. I really love it, but I don't use it anymore since I got a C2D iMac. I maybe use the powerbook once a month.

The Stig
Sep 10, 2007, 02:17 PM
eBay :)

TS

FireArse
Sep 10, 2007, 02:26 PM
You know the one where they are in the UK and they will ship by some company called TNT.

Can I just say as a Londoner that TNT are a reputable company - Apple used them to deliver my Mac Pro!

Just because something is being sold in the UK and being delivered using TNT doesn't make it a scam!

FireArse

thevintagesound
Sep 10, 2007, 02:32 PM
Can I just say as a Londoner that TNT are a reputable company - Apple used them to deliver my Mac Pro!

Just because something is being sold in the UK and being delivered using TNT doesn't make it a scam!

FireArse

It might not and might, as the link the person sent to me was a spoof. Basically they gave me an address, where they had downloaded that site and were spoofing it on their own server. So naturally I assumed that TNT was bogus. I jumped the gun on that, but given the circumstances, could you blame me?

mox123
Sep 10, 2007, 02:38 PM
oh darn....but yeah i was helping out a good friend of mine...what could i have done....but no, i didn't look at ebay first to check for its worth

what about the current macbooks? how well do they hold up in value when compared with the pro lines? would i have any hope of my current machine holding up its value equally well as my beloved powerbook G4??

Yes, like $300 low. You didn't check any market prices before you sold it? A simple check on eBay or Craigslist and you would have seen that machine still runs like $550-600. Simply b/c the G4's hold value VERY well.

maccad
Sep 10, 2007, 02:48 PM
thevintagesound:

saw this on CL: http://sarasota.craigslist.org/sys/413474519.html

comebackdwn
Sep 10, 2007, 02:53 PM
i am looking to sell my powerbook g4 in order to get a macbook pro.

anyone know of a site other than ebay or craigslist where i can enter my g4's info and get a decent value quote?

thevintagesound
Sep 10, 2007, 02:57 PM

anyone know of a site other than ebay or craigslist where i can enter my g4's info and get a decent value quote?

PM me and I will give you an offer. I have been watching CL and ebay like crazy so I know about what they are going for.

mox123
Sep 10, 2007, 02:58 PM

http://www.mac2sell.net/

comebackdwn
Sep 10, 2007, 03:00 PM

thanks. i think i will check this out before i start taking offers.

appreciate your help.

comebackdwn
Sep 10, 2007, 03:07 PM
my price attached.

kuebby
Sep 10, 2007, 03:23 PM
my price attached.

1. He is looking for a 15"/17", not 12".
2. That price is high ($780!).
3. This is not a WTB thread, even though it seems to be turning into one.

Sorry if that seems curt.

Squonk
Sep 10, 2007, 03:27 PM

That is a very nifty site! If I were to get the amount that this site says for my four year old PowerBook, I'd be VERY happy! :cool:

comebackdwn
Sep 10, 2007, 04:23 PM
1. He is looking for a 15"/17", not 12".
2. That price is high ($780!).
3. This is not a WTB thread, even though it seems to be turning into one.

Sorry if that seems curt.

it's cool.

i wasnt necessarily posting as an offer to this guy. i was just showing to what that site sad the price of my computer would be.

i think it sounds pretty reasonable for the computer.

considering the fact that it has a superdrive, and a 1.5ghz powerpc g4 processor with 80gb of hd.