PDA

View Full Version : Which Speakers for my G5 on order

adamfilip
Aug 14, 2003, 01:55 PM
Ive ordered a G5.. and ive sold my PC to my friend.
from the PC money im going to buy myself a good set of speakers to hook up to the g5

ive heard the logitech Z680 are excellent and have Optical In.. so i can hook them from the g5's optical out.

any reviews of whats good and whats not?

idea_hamster
Aug 14, 2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by adamfilip
ive sold my PC to my friend
Hey, now! :eek:
That's no way to treat a friend! ;)

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 02:12 PM
I've heard that they are great speakers, I am sure you'd be happy with them. They are a great way to use your optical connection and exploit the potential of surround sound with the G5. Let us know how they sound if you do end up getting them, I've read reviews of them and they are usally highly praised.

adamfilip
Aug 14, 2003, 02:19 PM
LOL .. well my friend is actually a big mac guy.. but he cant afford a Mac so i gave him a deal on my pc..

i like the Z680's also cause i can just hook them up to my dvd player on my tv and use the set like a regular home theatre speaker set..

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 02:36 PM
I have a 600 watt DTS-EX/Dolby 6.1 EX Pioneer system with 6 speakers as my home theater setup and I am toying around with just hooking up to that...I figure, if I have that kind of power, why worry about using regular computer speakers. :D

tazo
Aug 14, 2003, 03:29 PM
Klipsch are always good....

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 03:36 PM
I'll probably upgrade to Infinity speakers once I buy my PowerBook and save up more money...ever since I replaced my stock speakers in my car with Infinity all around, I have been blown away by the clarity of sound.

AngryAngel
Aug 14, 2003, 04:33 PM
I'm going for a cheap option: Creative Inspire 5500 Digital

Sees to get good reviews (when used with digital input- analogue quality is bad apparently).

King Cobra
Aug 14, 2003, 06:44 PM
Cambridge Soundworks have all right quality.

Perhaps, if you can afford them, Martin Logans.

Infinity isn't too bad, either.

blogo
Aug 14, 2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I'll probably upgrade to Infinity speakers once I buy my PowerBook and save up more money...ever since I replaced my stock speakers in my car with Infinity all around, I have been blown away by the clarity of sound.

Infinity is nice, but not many people got em.

rundevilrun
Aug 14, 2003, 07:26 PM
Right now on Klipsch's website you can buy the DMX5.1 system and get a second subwoofer for free. I'm thinking about that but the low power (10W/satellite, 50W sub) is a bit of concern to me since I'm used to the 4.1's (60W/sat, 170W sub)

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 07:50 PM
Yamaha has a few decent speakers for a reasonable price, too.

TyleRomeo
Aug 14, 2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by rundevilrun
Right now on Klipsch's website you can buy the DMX5.1 system and get a second subwoofer for free. I'm thinking about that but the low power (10W/satellite, 50W sub) is a bit of concern to me since I'm used to the 4.1's (60W/sat, 170W sub)

check out the new Pro Media 5.1 system, the best 5.1 set up for computers

tyler

rundevilrun
Aug 14, 2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
check out the new Pro Media 5.1 system, the best 5.1 set up for computers

tyler

I agree although you have to buy the decoder if you want to use the digital output of the G5.

adamfilip
Aug 15, 2003, 06:23 AM
thats why im liking the Z680s that come with a decoder built in

irmongoose
Aug 15, 2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Eple

Well.... ugh... Macs are nice, but not many people got em.

:rolleyes:

irmongoose

mactastic
Aug 15, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Eple

My home stereo is all Infinity, except for the 12" Velodyne sub. They are about 6 years old now and still blow me away. The clarity is amazing, as is the sound quality. There is definetly better out there, but it will cost dearly.

There are some cards out now for 7.1 sound as well. I don't know if the G5 comes with this ability, or if it is for older macs, but 7 speakers plus a subwoofer! Holy audio thunder Batman!

Link (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70203/wo/k01XBXrkUbJ13x7EHOcEHvLdY1Z/1.3.0.5.10.3.12.13.0)

tjwett
Aug 15, 2003, 11:09 AM
http://www.podspeakers.com

they look weird but they sound incredible. expensive but worth it. i won't use any other speaker ever again.

mactastic
Aug 15, 2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by tjwett
http://www.podspeakers.com

they look weird but they sound incredible. expensive but worth it. i won't use any other speaker ever again.

Interesting speakers. I'd love to hear them sometime. It's not all that expensive either, considering that's about what I spent for my 6 speakers combined.

Jimong5
Aug 15, 2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by adamfilip
Ive ordered a G5.. and ive sold my PC to my friend.
from the PC money im going to buy myself a good set of speakers to hook up to the g5

ive heard the logitech Z680 are excellent and have Optical In.. so i can hook them from the g5's optical out.

any reviews of whats good and whats not?

I have the Logitech Z340s and I love them. These are those with more power, quality, and speakers then my set. So I would recommend them to you very much.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 11:56 AM
At the Discovery Channel store, I saw these blow up beachball-like speakers...you just blow them up like you would a beach ball and set them anywhere! I'm sure that'd compliment your system so well! ;) Seriously, I love my Infinity speakers to death, they definitely have clarity like you wouldn't imagine--especially for the price. Those Logitechs are great, too, especially for the price range.

adamfilip
Aug 18, 2003, 10:55 PM
i was just looking at some fairly inexpensive Home theatre in a box... kits

i saw a RCA one with 5 speakers a reciever with AMFM , DVD player and optical input and a subwoofer for like 250 bucks..

pretty cheap..

would this be better then a set of computer speakers?

Gymnut
Aug 19, 2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by tazo
Klipsch are always good....

Couldn't agree more. Visit www.klipsch.com and check out their Promedia lineup. If money is no object, go with their new Ultra 5.1.

_______
Dual 1Ghz MDD
2GB Ram
240GB HD
Superdrive/Combodrive
Nvidia Geforce4Ti
Apple 17" LCD
Klipsch Promedia 4.2+2 Promedia SWS.