PDA

View Full Version : New UI, Old iPod

FunkyMonkey
Sep 6, 2007, 08:28 PM
I have a 1st gen nano and I wonder if I can put the new nano UI on my ipod.
Some kind of hack possibly?

Wyvernspirit
Sep 6, 2007, 08:29 PM
I have a 1st gen nano and I wonder if I can put the new nano UI on my ipod.
Some kind of hack possibly?

Short Answer: No

Out...

FunkyMonkey
Sep 6, 2007, 08:31 PM
Short Answer: No

And the long answer?

adrianblaine
Sep 6, 2007, 08:32 PM
And the long answer?

No, it can't be done?

:rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa
Sep 6, 2007, 08:33 PM
And the long answer?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Not possible.

FunkyMonkey
Sep 6, 2007, 08:35 PM
Has anyone heard of explaining why?:confused:

torchwood04
Sep 6, 2007, 08:36 PM
Please, I've seen like 3-4 of these already, it is getting rather annoying, of course, you can dream of an update like that nice thread, but the "can someone hack the new ui on the old ipod xyz?" are getting old. Though I'm not a mod, and perhaps not my place to complain, I just really got tired of it.. Sorry, ranting here..

Want something kinda new? Buy a new iPod or try some iPod hacks already out, i.e. iPodLinux, etc..

adrianblaine
Sep 6, 2007, 08:37 PM
Has anyone heard of explaining why?:confused:

I'm pretty sure the old Nano doesn't have the processor power or the battery life to really do video at all...

torchwood04
Sep 6, 2007, 08:37 PM
If you're so sure of doing it, why don't you do it yourself :)

Also, there are display differences..

FunkyMonkey
Sep 6, 2007, 08:38 PM
I'm pretty sure the old Nano doesn't have the processor power or the battery life to really do video at all...

Ok, how about cover flow then? I don't want to watch video on a tiny screen anyway.

torchwood04
How would you implement that?

Wyvernspirit
Different platforms. This isn't like a software update to mac OS X. The original uses nothing like Mac OS X iPod Edition while the new Nano supposedly uses a "OS X" OS. It is designed specifically for that device.

MAybe someone else can give a better technical answer.

torchwood04
Sep 6, 2007, 08:39 PM
The iPods (pre the new one's [excluding shuffle]) used a kind of iPod OS, not OSX, the new ones IIRC use OSX..

adrianblaine
Sep 6, 2007, 08:39 PM
Ok, how about cover flow then? I don't want to watch video on a tiny screen anyway.

And you want to do cover flow on that tiny screen? Doesn't make any more sense...

torchwood04
Sep 6, 2007, 08:40 PM
And you want to do cover flow on that tiny screen? Doesn't make any more sense...
Yeah, I was going to say...

Besides, the new iPod nanos are like what 150usd for the base model? Grab that then... It's easy..

FunkyMonkey
Sep 6, 2007, 08:40 PM
Ok. That's enough for me to be convinced. Thanks.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 6, 2007, 08:41 PM

The cover flow feature is part of the OS and it would need to be on the nano. I have heard, but have no first hand experience, that cover flow is SLOOOOOW on the nano. The original would not even be able to handle it. at best it would be glacial, as in a new album picture every few minutes, maybe.

SkyBell
Sep 6, 2007, 08:42 PM

Well, the 4G's (even the monochrome ones) could do video with iPodLinux, so maybe that would work.

FunkyMonkey
Sep 6, 2007, 08:44 PM
Ya, I've seen that, but once again I would never watch video on that little screen.

torchwood04
Sep 6, 2007, 08:46 PM
Wow, this is the closest I've seen a thread to an IRC channel lol. Like 5-6 replies in a minute. Just random rambling..

FunkyMonkey
Sep 6, 2007, 08:47 PM
no kidding....

(i know i am doing what he just said everyone is doing)

PygmySurfer
Sep 6, 2007, 08:49 PM
I seriously doubt the iPod nano or iPod classic are running OS X. I wouldn't be surprised if they were using the same hardware as the previous models, even. I think Apple has just updated the UI for the old OS.

I believe the iPhone and the iPod touch are the only iPods running OS X.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 6, 2007, 08:55 PM
Well, as for the hardware underneath, someone will crack one open and tell us what is different and what is the same eventually.

Out...