PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Follow Up

peterj1967
Aug 14, 2003, 03:03 PM
I posted a question about a lemon Mac a while back. I think I have it fixed, but was curious if anybody else has had the same problem.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27736&highlight=lemon

I ran the apple Hardware Diagnosis tool for 24 hrs in loop mode and it never turned up an error. But on occasion the machine would still sleep or shut down on its own. Took a visit to Tekserve where they could find no problem either. (I didn't bring in the monitor)

Finally I was paying attention when it happened, and I noticed that the power light on my Cinema Display would light up like it had been pushed, it would stay on for about 5 seconds and then the machine would shut down.

It was the exact same as if I had pushed the button to turn the machine off. I think I simply had a bad switch on my monitor. Quick search of the Apple support site. Found out how to disable the switch and I disabled it. Hopefully my machine gremlin is now gone. I have a 20 inch Cinema display.

Anybody had issues with the power switch on the Cinema Display being overly touchy?

simX
Aug 14, 2003, 04:02 PM
I don't (and have never) had a 20" Cinema display, but I can say that I did have the same thing happen with my 15" Apple Studio Display when I had my cube. The machine would randomly go to sleep or shut down as if I had accidentally pressed the button on the display.

I called Apple, they figured out the problem, I sent it in, and when I got it back it was fixed. :) I actually sent in my cube, too, because it had a similar touch-sensitive button, but it turned out that it wasn't the problem; it was the one on the display.