PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch, and USB BS: 2.0 vs. Firewire

dustboy
Sep 6, 2007, 10:04 PM
Looking at the hardware requirements for the new iPod touch, it says it needs a Mac with USB 2.0. This may be the final death knell for FireWire..

The only reason to *me* that my mirror-door DP 867 Mac could be obsolete is because the USB bus is 1.1 not 2.0. I'm going to need more reasons than that before I shell out $1,500 for an macintel.

If I were to buy an iPod Touchy-Feely, could I simply plug in a USB 2.0 PCI card? Some peripherals seem to need built-in USB 2.0.

showtime
Sep 6, 2007, 10:13 PM
I think it should work fine with usb 1.1 since most usb 2.0 devices are compatible with usb 1.1, the connection just won't be as fast.

adamcz
Sep 6, 2007, 10:15 PM
I think it should work fine with usb 1.1 since most usb 2.0 devices are compatible with usb 1.1, the connection just won't be as fast.Mac is going out of their way to make these new products incompatible, so don't count on it.

PygmySurfer
Sep 6, 2007, 10:17 PM
Looking at the hardware requirements for the new iPod touch, it says it needs a Mac with USB 2.0. This may be the final death knell for FireWire..

The only reason to *me* that my mirror-door DP 867 Mac could be obsolete is because the USB bus is 1.1 not 2.0. I'm going to need more reasons than that before I shell out $1,500 for an macintel.

If I were to buy an iPod Touchy-Feely, could I simply plug in a USB 2.0 PCI card? Some peripherals seem to need built-in USB 2.0.

An add-in card should be fine.

bousozoku
Sep 6, 2007, 10:32 PM

I'd been using an Adaptec USB 2.0 PCI card and it worked with just about everything and I'd expect no problem using the iPod with it. You just can't boot from any hard drive attached to the card.

Of course, you should check with Apple before buying. ;)

Mac is going out of their way to make these new products incompatible, so don't count on it.

The company is Apple. Mac is now a general name for Apple's computers.

balamw
Sep 6, 2007, 11:15 PM
I think it should work fine with usb 1.1 since most usb 2.0 devices are compatible with usb 1.1, the connection just won't be as fast.

USB 1.1 provides far less current (power) to devices on the bus, so it may not even provide enough juice to power or charge the device.

B

dustboy
Sep 7, 2007, 12:23 AM
I'd been using an Adaptec USB 2.0 PCI card and it worked with just about everything and I'd expect no problem using the iPod with it.

Ever try an Elgato tv tuner successfully?

LethalWolfe
Sep 7, 2007, 12:43 AM
Final death knell? WTF are you talking about? FW isn't going anywhere.

I've been using a USB 2.0 PCI card w/my iPod for months now if you need a vote of confidence.

Lethal

bousozoku
Sep 7, 2007, 12:43 AM
Ever try an Elgato tv tuner successfully?

No, but if you send me one, I'll try it for you. j/k :D

Wolfpup
Sep 13, 2007, 06:06 PM
Just to point out the obvious-Apple quit using Firewire on the iPods over two years ago (I think the 4G models still supported it). This is nothing new.

Manuzark
Sep 14, 2007, 04:32 AM
anyoe can confirm pls, if this iPod works on USB 1.1?:confused:

ilikecake
Sep 14, 2007, 04:34 AM

Yes, any old PCI USB 2.0 add-in card will work fine. Some chipsets (ie VIA) may have sleep issues but if you get an NEC chipset you should be fine. I've been using a $10 USB 2.0 card in my Sawtooth G4 for years.

Either of these would be fine and they're NEC chipsets.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815104216
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124008