Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
The iPod touch has great potential, everyone agrees with that.
but i've been having a hard time finding info on what it DOES have.
does anyone know if iCal and address book can be editted on the touch? can we add events and contacts from the iPod, like in iPhone?

i would get the touch if it was more PDA-like. run the great software like Skyscape, which is available on the iPhone now.

any info would be appreciated, thanks. :)

hatcher146

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2007
north carolina
you can use the keyboard and add contacts, events, etc on the apps already on the iPod....

and yes i agree...i hope the iPod touch gets more apps.

but i still love it the way it is. everything i wanted!

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
The iPod touch has great potential, everyone agrees with that.
but i've been having a hard time finding info on what it DOES have.
does anyone know if iCal and address book can be editted on the touch? can we add events and contacts from the iPod, like in iPhone?

i would get the touch if it was more PDA-like. run the great software like Skyscape, which is available on the iPhone now.

any info would be appreciated, thanks. :)

Yes, you can:

And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, entering calendar events, or adding new contacts.

Demon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
great!
thanks.

i'm just wondering if the touch will be a hit, given the fact that the iPhone is pretty much the same price with a hell of a lot more options.
for one... speakers. camera. and more software.

but as a PDA, i think the touch would be sufficient. let's hope the price comes down or the memory goes up.

either way, i'll have to get one. it just looks too nice to pass up.

rza49311

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
I was hoping the touch would have a "to do list" app or a notepad or something. :confused: The calendar can be used for it I suppose but i don't think it would be the same.

londonboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Does anyone know if the touch can play music wirelessly through external speakers hooked up to an airport express? Most people seem to think it can't, but a (slightly clueless) woman on the apple phone line who i asked didn't know, so she went and asked the tech helpline and told me that they had told her that you could. Does anyone know?

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
but as a PDA, i think the touch would be sufficient. let's hope the price comes down or the memory goes up.

no chance on the memory goin up soon, i saw that a 32 gb ssd card is around $500. Im pickin up a 16 gb sometime after it launches

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The Touch is still the better iPod, as you get double the memory for the same price. But if you want a phone, you obviously get the iPhone.

I'm sure the other iPhone apps will be copied over very quickly, as well as all the 3rd-party apps that are now available on the iPhone (this is of course just starting.)

great!
thanks.

i'm just wondering if the touch will be a hit, given the fact that the iPhone is pretty much the same price with a hell of a lot more options.

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
if they included notes could you transfer the notes back to your computer, so you could write little novels on your iPod?

that would be cool, so i could write my essays and stuff on it, even better, would be awesome if someone hacked on ms word. cant wait!

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
What's your point? If the touch got Bluetooth, people would use it with wireless headsets for VoIP. The calling would hurt iPhone sales, not the bluetooth directly.

My point is that your are wrong in your argument they wouldn't add BT to the touch because of fears of hacking since the iphone already has BT.

I dont see how you can run VoIP without hacking and without being in wifi or able to connect another phone as a BT modem. In other words, its hardly a threat unless Apple make these things possible.

There is clearly always going to be some cannibalization of the iPhone sales with the introduction of the touch. Apple are a hardware company so as long as the profit margins are there I am sure they have things sorted - else the touch would not have appeared.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

the iPhone is not the same price as the touch. the touch is 299 for the one with comparable storage to the iPhone. the iPhone with that amount of storage costs 399 plus 1,440 for the cheapest plan which is required. so is $1,839 for the iPhone really the same as $299?

Demon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
you got a point there mrkramer.
in any case, currently living outside the US means there really isn't much of a choice for me but to "settle" for the iPod touch.

just hope Safari is as good on the iPod as the real deal. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.