Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
first off ill say that want my main drive on my macbook pro to be free of windows because when i had vista installed with boot camp it continually showed results in spotlight and i also don't have much space left for my video editing files on my 80 gb main drive.

while i had vista installed with boot camp on my main drive i managed to install my parent's copy of windows xp sp2 on an NTFS partition on my external drive. to boot into Windows xp all i had to do was connect it via usb and choose it in the EFI boot selector, although it came up with a internal hard drive icon (probably thinking it was going to boot into vista, but actually it booted into xp). i then removed vista on my boot camp partition as i didnt want it anymore.

but now i cant even boot into xp on the external. nothing shows up in the efi boot selector BUT it shows up in the startup disk preference pane but it doesn't work if i select it and then restart.

how can force my macbook pro to boot into windows xp on my external? it did it before while i had vista installed on my boot camp partition but it mysteriously does appear to know?

thanks for reading, i look forward to any reply. thanks

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
no i havent. steps 1-9 do not apply to me as i succesfully installed windows xp on my external not using those steps :). i managed to boot to xp and setup it up and install the boot camp drivers, games ,mac drive, itunes etc. but then when i deleted vista of my main hard drive i could not boot to xp. i have tried to bit at the bottom in that guide about using the startup disk pref pane... but again as i wrote above it did not work.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
so is there anyway for me to boot into xp? or am i screwed? those steps where for a macbook whose HD is very easy to take out. im doing this on macbook pro and im not going to be be taking out my HD to void the warranty. i managed to install and boot into xp on my external HD while i had vista on my main HD. now xp simply wont boot after a removed vista. there must be a way to boot into xp???

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
It would work fine if you were using fw but since you're using a USB-connection I just don't what to do... :confused:

Anyways, a piece of advice: use Bombich's Netrestore app to make snapshots of windows partitions in Mac OS X.

What you can do is try and shapshotting your USB drive and remove it to an external FW, or you can bootcamp it again, install a fresh installation of Windows XP, snapshot it and deploy it to the external. There's lots of ways.

But the USB booting is generally not supported on Mac OS X, so maybe not in the EFI as well...? Seems like it anyhow.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
my external is a usb/fw400/fw800 hard drive and ive tried firewire but unfortunately it still doesnt boot.

netrestore looks nice but i wont be able to use it until i successfully boot into windows again.

noway

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
help plz

what is the best size for windows xp on a 160 gb hdd ? i was thinking about 20-30 is that okay?

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
what is the best size for windows xp on a 160 gb hdd ? i was thinking about 20-30 is that okay?

stop posting this in every topic having to do with bootcamp. Someone already answered you in another thread.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
hmm so theres no solution? the startup disk pref pane definitely picks up windows as a startup disk. Its called Windows on Untitled (that's the name of my disk after installing xp).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.