PDA

View Full Version : On the iPod Announcements...

katie ta achoo
Sep 7, 2007, 12:59 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Like the good little fangirl I am, I got the "Beat goes on…." announcement updates through Twitter (http://twitter.com/macrumors) sent straight to my two-month old iPhone. Neato. Great job, y'all.

The iPod Touch seems like a great answer to the iPhone if you hate AT&T or don't want to break your current contract. Yes, the lack of camera kinda stinks, if you were to want to photoblog while out of your house, but it's just an iPod, no biggie. It's still a freaking MP3 player with Wifi; not crippled Zune-esque only-able-to-do-about-3-things wifi, but actual, functioning Wifi. Pretty neat. Yes, 16 gigs may be too small for some of you, but do you really need to carry all of your music all of the time?

Read Full Article (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/06/on-the-ipod-announcements/)

JDC55
Sep 7, 2007, 01:15 AM
Your caned rant is pathetic. All you have done is reiterate a bunch of non-relevant analogies. Yes the price of gas, milk and etc fluctuates, but not the cost of Apple products. I can't remember the last time Apple up and dropped the price of any of their premium products after two month.

Plus if you had shelled out $600 of your own hard earned money you may be in a different boat. Take your head out of Apples holly butt and join the rest of us on terra firma. What was done was just plain wrong, and Steve's (I wipe my ass with your $200) Jobs has obviously realized this.

P.S. I forgot to address your New car fact When I buy a new car I expect the depreciation. it's not a big secret unlike the iPhone price reduction.

drater
Sep 7, 2007, 01:22 AM
Your caned rant is pathetic. All you have done is reiterate a bunch of non-relevant analogies. Yes the price of gas, milk and etc fluctuates, but not the cost of Apple products. I can't remember the last time Apple up and dropped the price of any of their premium products after two month.

Plus if you had shelled out $600 of your own hard earned money you may be in a different boat. Take your head out of Apples holly butt and join the rest of us on terra firma. What was done was just plain wrong, and Steve's (I wipe my ass with your $200) Jobs has obviously realized this.

wow, you joined just to say that. Interesting. Well, at least you were mature and elegant about your differing opinion. I love how you stated your views and backed it up with detail and proof on your own. Good job and very intellectual. Now, can I have my 200 brain cells back?

ShiggyMiyamoto
Sep 7, 2007, 01:30 AM
wow, you joined just to say that. Interesting. Well, at least you were mature and elegant about your differing opinion. I love how you stated your views and backed it up with detail and proof on your own. Good job and very intellectual. Now, can I have my 200 brain cells back?

lmao drater. That's great. I know you were being sarcastic, but I agree. Wow what a pointless post and reason to join.

I actually got an iPhone today at its new price point. I'm experiencing the activation woes that everyone did two months ago... though I find it odd because I was on ATT already. Maybe me being on a family plan before complicates things? I doubt it because I had them split me off so I can start my own plan. It's been 5 or so hours since I started to try and activate my number.

BTW, katie, great post. I agree. People who are complaining about the $200 should just deal with it and not complain. I like your new car analogy. It makes sense.

That's all I really have to say. It's 2:30 AM, and I'm about to try and activate my phone again. If it doesn't work by 3 AM, I'm going to bed and trying again in the morning. I hope the reason why it's not working is the fact that I'm using USB 1.1... Hmm..

drater
Sep 7, 2007, 01:34 AM
lmao drater. That's great. I know you were being sarcastic, but I agree. Wow what a pointless post and reason to join.

I actually got an iPhone today at its new price point. I'm experiencing the activation woes that everyone did two months ago... though I find it odd because I was on ATT already. Maybe me being on a family plan before complicates things? I doubt it because I had them split me off so I can start my own plan. It's been 5 or so hours since I started to try and activate my number.

BTW, katie, great post. I agree. People who are complaining about the $200 should just deal with it and not complain. I like your new car analogy. It makes sense.

That's all I really have to say. It's 2:30 AM, and I'm about to try and activate my phone again. If it doesn't work by 3 AM, I'm going to bed and trying again in the morning. I hope the reason why it's not working is the fact that I'm using USB 1.1... Hmm..

yeah, that's probably the reason. I would try the regular USB 2. Probably will help ya out.

arn
Sep 7, 2007, 01:35 AM
My two cents on this topic...

it was a dramatic drop, and I definitely see how the people who bought iPhones 15 days ago would be pissed.

And while I understand the frustration for the early adopters (day 1), I think those individuals should realize they are taking a leap of faith. If you can't handle price drops, feature improvements coming in the near future, being an early adopter might not be for you.

I think the $100 gift certificate is more than fair, but feel Apple might have handled it a little better.

And does Apple really wonder why people frequent rumor sites? It's exactly this scenario. No one wants to be caught off guard by a product update.

arn

macduke
Sep 7, 2007, 01:38 AM
Price changes happen. I bought gas about 2 months ago for $2.70 a gallon, and now it's at $2.49. Am I calling Citgo and demanding that I get my $0.21/gallon back?

Katie - don't you mean you bought gas 2 months ago for $2.49? Lol...yeah, it's late, so I'll excuse it THIS time, lol.

- Fellow college student and proud iPhone owner

(ps which arn approved accessory are you gonna use your $100 for??)

JDC55
Sep 7, 2007, 01:39 AM

Last time I checked the price I paid for my dual quad has not dropped by 33% and yes it has been over two months. I would give you back the 200 brain cells reading my post cost you but that would put you at a surplus from where you started.

n-abounds
Sep 7, 2007, 01:45 AM
If you bought your iPhone the day it came out, you're no worse off after the price drop. It's that simple.

rachaface
Sep 7, 2007, 01:49 AM
katie you're right on.

i mean, some would want the full 200 back, and apple would love to get 0 back so we get a compromise of 100 bucks that's more than fair i think. granted, i didnt think there would be a price change, but rather a ton of updates on their phone we wouldn't get. I dunno, i'm stoked for 100 bucks back. they're losing a ton of money on that.

Nanaki
Sep 7, 2007, 01:53 AM
In response to your shoes analogy:

Shoes go on clearance. Or they go on sale because new shoes are in, and the old shoes are out of season.

The iPhone is not on clearance. There is no new iPhone, the iPhone is not out of season.

This was a deliberately, clearly calculated effort to make some extra cash off of the very people that made Apple what it is today. You said yourself, Katie, that Apple owes you for all the times you've been a walking advertisement for them.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

chr1s60
Sep 7, 2007, 01:55 AM
Comparing gas prices and iPhone prices is dumb. Gas is a known necessity that fluctuates daily and everyone knows it. Anything brand new in electronics is bound to go down in price. Most electronics do not go down 33% in price after only 60 some days. I expected the iPhone price cut eventually, I even talked about it with people around me in line. Not one of us predicted a $200 drop in the beginning of September. Most of us expected it around the start of 2008 and even then we only expect $100 drops.

Anyway, enough with that. I am very happy with the $100 credit from Apple. This is something they didn't have to do. I honestly didn't even expect them to do that. I think all people should be Happy with this. Nobody was ripped off, it was more of a feeling like betrayal than being ripped off. To me it just seemed like Apple had turned their back on loyal fans and didn't care about it.

WildCowboy
Sep 7, 2007, 01:57 AM
Katie - don't you mean you bought gas 2 months ago for $2.49? Lol...yeah, it's late, so I'll excuse it THIS time, lol.

No, she meant what she said. She paid more for it two months ago, and now it's cheaper. She'd like a refund because she clearly overpaid two months ago when it was more expensive.

ShiggyMiyamoto
Sep 7, 2007, 02:00 AM
yeah, that's probably the reason. I would try the regular USB 2. Probably will help ya out.

I just went across the hall to my dad's MacBook Pro, and it gave me the same errors. I tried to register for the online monitoring or w/e (myWireless) and it freaking "locked" my account when it wasn't even created yet. WTF is that?

Music_Producer
Sep 7, 2007, 02:00 AM
The Motorola Razr was $499 the day it launched (16 nov 2004) On Jan 22, 2005.. you could get it for $339. What's that? A $160 price drop in 2 months.

Bloody whiners. Mobile phone pricing changes are much more dynamic than quad core processor pricing (like some earlier poster ridiculously compared earlier)

I hope Apple learns from this and keeps their price fixed from now on for a good 2 years instead of trying to introduce price cuts and piss off customers.

JDC55
Sep 7, 2007, 02:01 AM
"I'll take my $100 gift card and get some Arn-approved iPhone accessories to play with."

If you felt you paid a fair price don't take the $100 gift card, hypocrite.

Cyberthato
Last time I checked the price I paid for my dual quad has not dropped by 33% and yes it has been over two months. I would give you back the 200 brain cells reading my post cost you but that would put you at a surplus from where you started.

Please tell me you have actually bought a cell phone before, here's the catch "cell phones are subject to depreciation the same as cars" (actually worse). Now stop complaining, I would love to have the oportunity to have one of those, I found 600$ (600€ here I suppose, they just chance the money symbol) a reasonable price for a product that looks like the best and that noone has a guarantee of its success. So in this case you're not being an early adopter of a model, but of a brand. It's not the same to buy the first motorola V3 than to buy the first motorola you genious, in the first case there's almost no risk while in the second there is. When you bought the iPhone, you didn't buy "another" apple product, you bought the risk of being rejected by the cell phone market and if you being an early adopter can't understand that...

anyway I don't see why Steve has to give any store credit to anyone, nobody gave me a store credit when imac prices got down, or my ipod got upgraded and got it's price down. I paid a premium (twice, one for being in Europe and one for being an early adopter) and am happy to have done so for I've enjoyed my products, so just be happy with your phone and you store certificate.

beaporwoll
Ok so I'm not the only one here who feels like Katie does.
So what if Apple reduced the price of the iPhone?? I don't feel cheated at all. I got one and am happy to own one. I could really care less that you got one for $200 less than I did. I had one first and I probably got you to purchase one by letting you see and use mine.
If you don't want the $100 rebate contact me and I'll gladly take it off your hands. If not just shut up and enjoy your iPhone and thank Apple for having generosity to give you $100 back.

Cyberthato
Sep 7, 2007, 02:08 AM
"I'll take my $100 gift card and get some Arn-approved iPhone accessories to play with."

If you felt you paid a fair price don't take the $100 gift card, hypocrite.

so basically you're the kind of people that takes the gifts out of the cereal boxes and leave it there because you're aleready paying a fair price for the cereal? give me a break

JDC55
Sep 7, 2007, 02:09 AM
Please tell me you have actually bought a cell phone before, here's the catch "cell phones are subject to depreciation the same as cars" (actually worse). Now stop complaining, I would love to have the oportunity to have one of those, I found 600$ (600€ here I suppose, they just chance the money symbol) a reasonable price for a product that looks like the best and that noone has a guarantee of its success. So in this case you're not being an early adopter of a model, but of a brand. It's not the same to buy the first motorola V3 than to buy the first motorola you genious, in the first case there's almost no risk while in the second there is. When you bought the iPhone, you didn't buy "another" apple product, you bought the risk of being rejected by the cell phone market and if you being an early adopter can't understand that...

Yes I have bought a cell phone before. The iPhone is not typical for the cellular market. At some time or another you can expect a subsidy for the phone this was never the case for the iPhone. This being so most people expected the iPhone to follow common Apple MAP pricing policy.

so basically you're the kind of people that takes the gifts out of the cereal boxes and leave it there because you're aleready paying a fair price for the cereal? give me a break

Nice try that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. The toy in the box was there when i bought the cereal. Not offered after the fact.

Cyberthato
Sep 7, 2007, 02:13 AM
Yes I have bought a cell phone before. The iPhone is not typical for the cellular market. At some time or another you can expect a subsidy for the phone this was never the case for the iPhone. This being so most people expected the iPhone to follow common Apple MAP pricing policy.

yeah, it's not typical, that's why it was so high price tagged. It was a risk by apple side and by consumer side. Now see that the risk of loosing mayor amounths of money they can allow themselves the luxury of dropping the price AND thank it's early adopters with a store certificate.

Nice try that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. The toy in the box was there when i bought the cereal. Not offered after the fact.

I don't see the difference, I buy X cereal for Y price, one day I findthe same box with a gift, but there are still other boxes. I assume you take the ones without the price for it was already fair.

Nor download free upgrades to your programs, you already paid a fair price for the first version.

JDC55
Sep 7, 2007, 02:20 AM
I don't see the difference, I buy X cereal for Y price, one day I findthe same box with a gift, but there are still other boxes. I assume you take the ones without the price for it was already fair.

Nor download free upgrades to your programs, you already paid a fair price for the first version.

You need to stop posting. Both of the things you mentioned have no relevance what so ever.

No that is called depreciation. If you go back to buy another car the price will be the same for a new one.

zimtheinvader
Sep 7, 2007, 03:15 AM
ok so, my 2c since I'm *not* new around here! The immaturity of this macrumors spin-off continues to amaze me. The analogies and pathetic justification of the price drop boggles the mind and the author's writing style ostensibly tries for cutesy but comes across as pompous and juvenile. If I wanted a lesson in market dynamics I would read the Economist.

We all have to deal with Apple's decision, but we don't have to like it, or think its fair. Why anyone would continue to read this worthless blog is beyond me, other than that it is features in Macrumors headlines as if it somehow contains groundbreaking info. imho it has outlived its usefullness now that information about the iphone usage is finally prevalent, as evidenced by its increasing focus on personal anecdotes rather than the iphone itself.

Daremo
Sep 7, 2007, 05:03 AM
Katie,

Most of us who purchased this phone (and some of us bought more then one!) did so with the understanding we would be early adopters. The price drop only 68 days later on a electronic device is unheard of. The price of gas, milk or any other of those horrible analogies can't be taken seriously, because everyone fully expects the price of those things to fluctuate. Not the iPhone. This was a shock to everyone who actually PAID for their phones. Your age really shines through in your last post, and worldly wisdom from a 19 year old school girl with very minor life experience shouldn't lecture to people who actually worked and saved their money for this purchase.

Not trying to be a jerk, just stating an opinion.

kimkrause
Sep 7, 2007, 05:23 AM
boy people are sure a bunch of whiners. every time i buy a new computer a newer, cheaper faster one comes out the next month. i've never asked for a refund. the fact that a product can be offered at a cheaper price means it's doing well and more people will be able to get it. i loved the car analogy. just lost about 2000 bucks driving off the lot last month. the point is people are being thanked by apple by receiving a 200 buck coupon. that never happens in any other industry. so come on stop bitching because you jumped on the band wagon early. early adopters always pay the premium. remember when a 10 gig ipod was 400 bucks with a b&w screen and 6 hours of batterylife.
oh by the way i'm over 50 and found nothing juvenile about the young ladies opinion. if anything she has a very clear sense of the real world.....

JMax1
Sep 7, 2007, 06:07 AM
Brilliant job giving older buyers $100 back because I know whatever I buy with it will be over $100 (I'm thinking the bluetooth headset or tv dock and probably something else totaling over $100).

I bet Apple will actually MAKE money off of the refunds/gift cards to iPhoners.

BIG thumbs up to :apple:

::edit:: Please keep talk related to iPhone, not about the blogger's style of writing. If you want to make comments about somebody's thoughts on market dynamics, go join forums for the Economist.

pdxdeano
Sep 7, 2007, 06:13 AM
I bought my iPhone on August 21st as a birthday present for myself so was stunned when just 15 days later Apple dropped the price $200. However after some careful thought I realized it wasn't Apples fault it was my moms for not having me on the 22nd.

Seriously, so what if Apple dropped the price? I still have the best cell phone on the market and now I get a $100 gift card to put towards iLife and iWork
'08

:D

Postal
Sep 7, 2007, 06:17 AM
Katie,

Most of us who purchased this phone (and some of us bought more then one!) did so with the understanding we would be early adopters. The price drop only 68 days later on a electronic device is unheard of. The price of gas, milk or any other of those horrible analogies can't be taken seriously, because everyone fully expects the price of those things to fluctuate. Not the iPhone. This was a shock to everyone who actually PAID for their phones. Your age really shines through in your last post, and worldly wisdom from a 19 year old school girl with very minor life experience shouldn't lecture to people who actually worked and saved their money for this purchase.

Not trying to be a jerk, just stating an opinion.

Hey, I'm out of university and working to earn the phone myself, and I would still believe that people shouldn't expect price compensation past the 14-day period. Buying products is effectively a contract! If you buy at $599, you agreed at the time that the price was acceptable. And what would the cut-off have been if you think you're owed money back? Three full months? Four months? It's not quite as simple as some here make it out to be.

DrBunsenHoneyde
Sep 7, 2007, 06:24 AM

P.S. I forgot to address your New car fact When I buy a new car I expect the depreciation. it's not a big secret unlike the iPhone price reduction.

actually the car depreciation thing is expected just like technical products, look at how fast technology prices drop, ok 200 dollars was alot but it shows the drop in the technology prices and the loyalty of apple to give some of that money back to you. stop your winging and just be glad (if you did get one) that you could. The rest of the world had no option and still doesnt. Everything depreciates in value especially technology get used to it.

greenBabe
Sep 7, 2007, 06:38 AM
The whining about the whining is even more annoying than the whining was. And that's a stretch ... :rolleyes:

TwoSyllables
Sep 7, 2007, 08:04 AM
I for one AM happy about the $100 gift card.

But to say we had to reason to be upset about the price drop? Keep in mind, a lot of us didn't buy the phone to be the coolest kid on the block. I REALLY didn't care. I'm 21 and bought a brand new Mustang a few weeks earlier. I was all blinged out. That said, I REALLY couldn't afford a $500 phone (especially because of the car), but I saved up for 6th months so the iPhone didn't land me in the poor house. I bought it because I respected Apple as a company and all my previous purchases from them held their value enough that I didn't expect it to be worth it to wait. If I could buy a new Macbook Pro in 2 months for $670 off, I'd certainly wait that release out.

And by the way, I'm well aware that the car will depriciate about 33% in the first year, but I knew that before I bought it. Even with the $100 gift card, I most certainly will NEVER buy another new Apple product. I no longer expect their products to hold their value any longer than a Sony or Dell product.

AANNNDD Miss Thang, you didn't even pay for the phone. You're no old hag either. Don't EVEN try to tell to tell me you wouldn't be pissed if you were in our shoes!

kuphd
Sep 7, 2007, 08:27 AM
Those of you complaining are really just irritated that you were dumb enough to buy brand new technology and paid way too much for it. Guess what...that's the way it works. 1GB hard drives used to cost $500. Blu-ray DVD burners cost $699 two months ago and now they're down to $499. Hmmm...$200 price drop in two months. Sound familiar? And I don't see Panasonic issuing gift cards to folks who bought the new technology two months ago.

And for those of you who think that the iPhone isn't new technology, tell me one other phone out there that does what it does. You can't because there aren't any.

So, here's what needs to happen. You fools who just had to rush out to get the iPhone when it first came out so you could look cool and brag to your friends, get over it. Basically what you spent the extra $200 for is bragging rights. Now you're just mad because all those people who didn't have the money or were smart enough to not buy one right away can now get one and are just as cool as you.

My advice, don't ever buy anything remotely related to technology again, because you're going to be disappointed when something better and cheaper comes out six months later.

jsw
Sep 7, 2007, 08:40 AM
I can't remember the last time Apple up and dropped the price of any of their premium products after two months.And the previous Apple cell phone product was... what now? This is an entirely different market. And you might want to ask last-gen I-had-it-for-a-few-weeks-and-Apple-switched-to-Intel iMac owners about rapid depreciation of a product.
Take your head out of Apples holly butt and join the rest of us on terra firma. What was done was just plain wrong, and Steve's (I wipe my ass with your $200) Jobs has obviously realized this.
First, I think Apple's butt is made of rose petals, not holly, but I'm not sure. You could be right about it. Second, price reductions are wrong? Um, OK. They entered a new market and decided to change the pricing after watching sales. Wow. A new concept for business, indeed.
This was a deliberately, clearly calculated effort to make some extra cash off of the very people that made Apple what it is today.What product is sold by Apple, or, indeed, virtually any business, which is not a deliberate effort to make money? Which businesses say to themselves "Oh, we could sell this for X dollars, but, just because we're nice, we'll sell it for X/2 dollars." They thought they could sell a million at $599. They didn't, so they dropped the price.
Most electronics do not go down 33% in price after only 60 some days. I expected the iPhone price cut eventually, I even talked about it with people around me in line. Not one of us predicted a $200 drop in the beginning of September. Most of us expected it around the start of 2008 and even then we only expect $100 drops.So, of course, Apple should be held accountable for not doing what you predicted they'd do. I don't think it was a slap in the face. I think they tried to make an extra $200 per phone, saw the sales not be as strong as they anticipated, and dropped the price.
The Motorola Razr was $499 the day it launched (16 nov 2004) On Jan 22, 2005.. you could get it for $339. What's that? A $160 price drop in 2 months.
Thank you thank you thank you. But, you know, Apple dropped prices by 33.3%. The RAZR was only, like, a 32% drop. So, clearly, it wasn't nearly as bad.

If you felt you paid a fair price don't take the $100 gift card, hypocrite.That's completely ridiculous. Feeling one paid a fair price and accepting a proffered gift card are not in any way hypocritical. Unless, perhaps, you could explain why it's hypocritical. I'd love to see that.
Yes I have bought a cell phone before. The iPhone is not typical for the cellular market. At some time or another you can expect a subsidy for the phone this was never the case for the iPhone.There are many, many phones for which there's no subsidy. The subsidies usually kick in in the older or 2nd and 3rd tier products, to draw people in to buy the contracts. Just consider the $200 off a "subsidy".
You need to stop posting. Both of the things you mentioned have no relevance what so ever.
They were both completely relevant.
No that is called depreciation. If you go back to buy another car the price will be the same for a new one.Two months later? No. The sticker will be the same. The price won't.
Why anyone would continue to read this worthless blog is beyond me...
Which, of course, begs the question: how were you able to reply in this thread if you don't read the blog?
Even with the $100 gift card, I most certainly will NEVER buy another new Apple product. I no longer expect their products to hold their value any longer than a Sony or Dell product.Yes. Their very first entry into a vastly competitive massive multi-billion-dollar market should clearly be used as proof their practices in other areas will change radically.
AANNNDD Miss Thang, you didn't even pay for the phone. You're no old hag either. Don't EVEN try to tell to tell me you wouldn't be pissed if you were in our shoes!I paid for a new iPhone on day one. I also work for a cell phone manufacturer, and I understand the dynamics of the market. The scale of the price cut surprises me a bit, but not really. Am I pissed? No. Because I assumed something similar would happen in a reasonably similar time frame if sales didn't meet expectations. So I bought one, and I'm not pissed. As to whether KT would be? She's pretty savvy about electronic pricing and updates. I'm pretty sure she'd be disappointed, not pissed, in a price drop.

milo
Sep 7, 2007, 08:52 AM

Get a clue, apple has already offered $100 back.

If you're going to do pointless, redundant bitching and moaning, at least keep up to date with the situation. :rolleyes:

racemize
Sep 7, 2007, 08:58 AM
"Life isn't fair" isn't an argument for disliking when it is. Expecting bad outcomes is one thing, justifying poor actions with that expectation is a fallacy. (This applies to your disreputable ticket salesman). I mean really, that's just weak.

I will say I was on the fence about rebates / not rebates. I'm quite happy with what Steve decided to do.

GTiPhone
Sep 7, 2007, 09:38 AM
I spent about 20 minutes on that article, really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I concluded that you have absolutely no clue how to make accurate analogies, or how to make any sense while . Your logic and reasoning is on par with Peter Griffin.

If you think this situation is no differernt from any other old consumer product price change, you throughouly need your head examined.

Apple is offering their $100 credit for one reason. They have to. They know how completely over the line this decision was and how many people it offended..people who they want to still show up for the next break through product launch. I can guarantee you NOW though, I will never be such an ealer adopter of an Apple product again. Granted I love everything about my iPhone and would not want to be without it, (and yes, secretly we have all gotten our money's worth out of this device with or without any credit), but I will never turn out to buy an expensive new product on launch. I figured for the iPhone it would be worth it, and it has been............that doesn't mean Apple can turn around and punish us for being the ones who made them look good on the 29th of June.

whateverandever
Sep 7, 2007, 09:43 AM
I think this post was entirely uncalled for in the blog... considering the FIRST blog post had this:

"MacRumors has graciously agreed to provide the iPhone and service for me in exchange for blogging about it."

So basically, someone who was COMPLETELY unaffected by the price drop decided to justify it to everyone.

Good job. I'm glad you can relate.

GTiPhone
Sep 7, 2007, 09:54 AM
And the previous Apple cell phone product was... what now? This is an entirely different market. And you might want to ask last-gen I-had-it-for-a-few-weeks-and-Apple-switched-to-Intel iMac owners about rapid depreciation of a product.
First, I think Apple's butt is made of rose petals, not holly, but I'm not sure. You could be right about it. Second, price reductions are wrong? Um, OK. They entered a new market and decided to change the pricing after watching sales. Wow. A new concept for business, indeed.
What product is sold by Apple, or, indeed, virtually any business, which is not a deliberate effort to make money? Which businesses say to themselves "Oh, we could sell this for X dollars, but, just because we're nice, we'll sell it for X/2 dollars." They thought they could sell a million at $599. They didn't, so they dropped the price.
So, of course, Apple should be held accountable for not doing what you predicted they'd do. I don't think it was a slap in the face. I think they tried to make an extra $200 per phone, saw the sales not be as strong as they anticipated, and dropped the price.

Thank you thank you thank you. But, you know, Apple dropped prices by 33.3%. The RAZR was only, like, a 32% drop. So, clearly, it wasn't nearly as bad.
That's completely ridiculous. Feeling one paid a fair price and accepting a proffered gift card are not in any way hypocritical. Unless, perhaps, you could explain why it's hypocritical. I'd love to see that.
There are many, many phones for which there's no subsidy. The subsidies usually kick in in the older or 2nd and 3rd tier products, to draw people in to buy the contracts. Just consider the $200 off a "subsidy".

They were both completely relevant.
Two months later? No. The sticker will be the same. The price won't.

Which, of course, begs the question: how were you able to reply in this thread if you don't read the blog?
Yes. Their very first entry into a vastly competitive massive multi-billion-dollar market should clearly be used as proof their practices in other areas will change radically.
I paid for a new iPhone on day one. I also work for a cell phone manufacturer, and I understand the dynamics of the market. The scale of the price cut surprises me a bit, but not really. Am I pissed? No. Because I assumed something similar would happen in a reasonably similar time frame if sales didn't meet expectations. So I bought one, and I'm not pissed. As to whether KT would be? She's pretty savvy about electronic pricing and updates. I'm pretty sure she'd be disappointed, not pissed, in a price drop.

Aside from the article that started this thread, this is some of the most nausiating Apple ass kissing I have ever seen. The scale surprises you a little bit?! Please. Get with reality already.

This reduction was: Extreme, Unprecedented, Uncommon, and so early they may as well have done it on June 30th.

Tell me, would you still feel the same way if they had done this on June 30th? No, you'd be up in arms little crazy internet author writing about the biggest scam in history.........what if it happened 15 days after iDay, just outside of the 14 day price protection, how you feel then?!?!

Its been 68 days. You must have short term memory issues if you do not recognize this as being an INSANELY short amount of time from launch. I mean, come on.

All else considered, Steve Jobs went and offered a big chunk of money to a lot of people because he knows what they did was wrong. How does it make you look to continue to defend the original decision that was determined to be crude and completely inappropriate????

It makes you look like words that would get me banned.

Blue Velvet
Sep 7, 2007, 10:02 AM
What staggers me is why people have to be so unnecessarily rude to Katie.

Sure, you might not like her blog or what she says, or you might be annoyed about the whole iPhone price issue... but some of you are just being personally nasty for no reason at all, except for the reason that you feel you can, typing from your mother's basement or wherever.

It's just really saddening to see so much bitterness out there directed at a 19 year old girl who speaks her mind. Take a good hard look at yourselves before you feel inclined to post, because for some of you, it doesn't make you look good at all. And if you don't like her blog, spare yourself the drama and just don't read it; it's that simple.

Just my personal thoughts... and not an official MR mod stance or whatever.

racemize
Sep 7, 2007, 10:58 AM

Sure, you might not like her blog or what she says, or you might be annoyed about the whole iPhone price issue... but some of you are just being personally nasty for no reason at all, except for the reason that you feel you can, typing from your mother's basement or wherever.

It's just really saddening to see so much bitterness out there directed at a 19 year old girl who speaks her mind. Take a good hard look at yourselves before you feel inclined to post, because for some of you, it doesn't make you look good at all. And if you don't like her blog, spare yourself the drama and just don't read it; it's that simple.

not so much in defense of personal attacks, I will say that the blog did seem a bit offensive to me. At least in my reading, the tone of the article indicated (to me) that anyone who was complaining didn't understand basic principles of life. That and the poor analogies were enough to make me respond. (However, I did not intend my response as a personal attack, merely an attack on certain types of arguments, and their use). I don't mind opinions, and, as I said before, I wasn't sure if rebates were necessary. However, this particular post seemed out of line of the intent of the blog (i.e., related to her opinion on people who whined rather than how the phone has impacted her daily life). It appears that it struck other readers in a similar fashion as well.

whateverandever
Sep 7, 2007, 11:19 AM

except for the reason that you feel you can, typing from your mother's basement or wherever.

Ironic. A post that is upset about people belittling Katie at the same time takes a jab at other people. I remember something about a pot and a kettle...

woah... Someone's jeaaaaalllloous!

I was pointing out her distance from the subject matter she was commenting on. But I'm glad you took a break from watching Spongebob Squarepants to reply to my comment.

JDC55
Sep 7, 2007, 11:59 AM

Again welcome to the real world (or should i say e-world) If you are going to post on an internet forum you should be prepared to get e-feelings hurt. If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

Rower_CPU
Sep 7, 2007, 12:08 PM
Again welcome to the real world (or should i say e-world) If you are going to post on an internet forum you should be prepared to get e-feelings hurt. If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

And welcome to the MacRumors community - since you're new here and have strong opinions about what sort of behavior is appropriate in online forums, I suggest you read our site rules and familiarize yourself with what's considered respectful dialogue here.

Blue Velvet
Sep 7, 2007, 12:09 PM

Excuse me? There's no excuse for continued incivility and it's something I take a great pleasure in by deleting and banning those when I see it here on MacRumors. ;)

But enough on this matter. Any further off-topic or personally-directed insulting posts at anyone will be deleted. Thanks.

stompy
Sep 7, 2007, 01:10 PM
And welcome to the MacRumors community - since you're new here and have strong opinions about what sort of behavior is appropriate in online forums, I suggest you read our site rules and familiarize yourself with what's considered respectful dialogue here.

No, thank you.

JMax1
Sep 7, 2007, 02:00 PM
I was pointing out her distance from the subject matter she was commenting on. But I'm glad you took a break from watching Spongebob Squarepants to reply to my comment.

You actually made me laugh at myself. I went ahead and withdrew my previous comment because I see your point.

bretm
Sep 7, 2007, 02:44 PM

I remember the last time apple lowered the price that quickly. Aperture. They dropped the price 40% in 2 months. They promptly reimbursed the $200 to ALL purchasers by means of a gift card. This is why I wasn't worried about being an early adopter. Because apple has shown they take care of early adopteds when they realize the original price was borderline gouging. Legal or not - I would've had a bad taste in my mouthif apple hadn't returned some money. Call it what you want, but that's the way it is. People feel cheated. People feel cheated instinctively. Screw econ 101. They know when something is fishy. And these are the people buying apple in the future.

Lyle
Sep 7, 2007, 02:49 PM

Thanks :)Thanks, Rower (and BV). I was hoping a moderator had stepped in at some point in this thread.

NewSc2
Sep 7, 2007, 03:07 PM
Sorry Katie... I've labored through your previous blog posts (flashlight?), but this one I had to comment on.

I don't think your conclusion and explanation of the price drop is really representative of what I've come to expect from arn and longofest and MacRumors as a whole. I bought my iPhone 20 days ago (21 now) and am collecting my money back from my credit card company.

There is a difference in commodities, investments, everyday products like gasoline (do you think I'll really wait 2 weeks to fill up my gas tank?), and other companies gadgets, from Apple products. Many people wouldn't give two cents about a RAZR price drop, because it's Motorola. This is Apple and we know our Powerbooks, iPods, and Apple Cinema Displays hold their value, much better than Dells and Sonys. If I bought a Powerbook 3 years ago, knowing it would drop to $0 (like RAZRs have) in 3 years, I wouldn't have paid $2500 for one. We've come to trust Apple as a luxury electronic goods manufacturer, with an emphasis on luxury (they look good, work great, and are built well). Used Apple products command top dollar.

So when my iPhone, which was purchased after a few months of savings, suddenly dropped $200 in price, it dropped $200 in value too. I would have paid $800 for it, or maybe even $1000, but I paid $600. Now I can't sell it for $500, as I could have just a few days ago. The total value of everything I own just went down by $200, with the word coming from Steve Jobs. I was pretty shocked.

You pay a price when you deal with a shady eBay seller or buy tickets off Craigslist. And I personally have never gotten shafted with promises of "great seats." But this is Apple. When I buy a suit from Bloomingdales and it rips a few days after I take it home, causing a $200 repair charge, I bring it back to Bloomingdales and ask them for a refund. That's the price I pay for when I buy a $1000 suit, instead of a $99 one.

I didn't expect it from Apple, and now I know to be more cautious. This is a really bad move on Steve Jobs' part, as I'll be less inclined to drop a price premium on Apple in the future. What he should've done was announce the $100 price credit alongside the $200 price drop. It would've been lauded (and Apple wouldn't have been picked apart like it has been), and it would've had the exact same financial results for the company. As an Economics graduate -- we didn't just buy an iPhone for its UI or looks, something inside us also gave it a monetary value and decided the price was justified. Now that price has changed and our monetary value has just gone outta whack (I paid $200 to have this for 20 days?!?)

And I've come to love my credit card company for helping me through my financial loss. I'm more inclined to buy through them now.

Anyway Katie, I really think you should pick your stances more carefully. This is a really sensitive topic and bringing up touchy or useless points belongs on Fox News, not on MacRumors.

matticus008
Sep 7, 2007, 08:51 PM
There is a difference [...between] other companies gadgets [and] Apple products.
No, there's not. There is no guarantee and no obligation on the part of the seller to sustain your "investment." Once you purchase it, you assume the risk of it being worth $0 the next day. It could be stolen or destroyed, or it could be rendered utterly obsolete. There's a return/adjustment window for some amount of insulation from the market, but it's an artificial force.
If I bought a Powerbook 3 years ago, knowing it would drop to $0 (like RAZRs have) in 3 years, I wouldn't have paid $2500 for one.
Then you wouldn't have owned one, and someone else would have bought it. The resale value has no impact on price or performance at the time of purchase. The computer will last as long and perform as well whether it's worth $10 or $1000. High resale value is a nice perk and nothing more. Lots of people factor it in, but it's entirely speculative. You're taking a gamble, and it's no one's responsibility but your own. If it's not worth the price on the day you're purchasing it, you're making a mistake in buying it.
So when my iPhone, which was purchased after a few months of savings, suddenly dropped $200 in price, it dropped $200 in value too. I would have paid $800 for it, or maybe even $1000, but I paid $600. Now I can't sell it for $500, as I could have just a few days ago.
Welcome to market speculation. You might be annoyed about the future playing out differently than you anticipated, but it's no one's responsibility but your own.

Products are sold for a price at a specific point in time. The reality is that you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. You don't have any control over the future. Learn to live with it. That risk calculation might not pay off, and that's something that must be factored in.
When I buy a suit from Bloomingdales and it rips a few days after I take it home, causing a $200 repair charge, I bring it back to Bloomingdales and ask them for a refund.
If your iPhone breaks, take it in. That's what a warranty is for.
Now that price has changed and our monetary value has just gone outta whack (I paid $200 to have this for 20 days?!?)
You have a degree in economics and you're comfortable with that statement? Give me a break. You bore the risk and you lost.

This has nothing to do with economic losses or business decisions. You're upset, you're to blame for putting yourself in the situation, and you've decided to complain about it to exorcise your frustration with yourself and put it on a third party. This is why we don't live in a democracy.

aimfire
Sep 7, 2007, 09:54 PM
Ugh, even if you're a big Apple fan (I am), it is OK to be mad at them on this one - please stop making excuses and trying to justify it somehow! :rolleyes:

I don't believe for a second that Apple suddenly remembered the holidays were coming up soon and did this 33% price drop 2 months later so they could make more sales. They had this planned all along. But what they didn't anticipate was just how pizzed off people would be and all the negative press they would receive. You think people will line up for hours on launch day for iPhone 2.0? I definitely won't... I'll wait for them to drop the price 2 months later. Apple has just shot themselves in the foot on this one, and have damaged all future iPhone launch days. Smooth move, Jobs.

The $100 Apple Store credit is better than nothing... but would sweeten the deal if they also threw in some free iTunes tracks/ringtones as well. ;)

daschor
Sep 8, 2007, 01:04 AM
First, not all of us are buying brand new cars, so no tears need be shed on the account of that.

Genius is what this rebate amounts to, actually. Revenues from months ago can now be turned into shipping product, thereby increasing sales figures, as well as enhancing the brand's reputation by putting more product on the street.

If you made the decision to pay $599 for your iPhone, I have no tolerance for any complaints about the size of the rebate or the size of the price reduction. Apple is not a charity, they are working for a profit (and doing extremely well with it). In my eyes, this is a reward for early adopters who helped make the iPhone the success it has been so far, and a sign of the importance that Apple places on customer loyalty and satisfaction, as well as managing the brand's image.

Apple got this one perfect.

:apple:

Sheradon
Sep 8, 2007, 06:34 AM
Katie i have to dissagree with you.

Apple justified the price of the phone by combining the old Ipod model + actual phone and got to the 599$ as a starter and they did not know exactly where to shoot, how much money customers would be willing to pay, the impact of the phone etc... So they shooted high (it's easy to go down, not go up)

So now at it's current paste the Iphone will be making it's numbers (target of 1M phones by Year end) but barely.Apple does not just want get to the 1 million Iphone by Year end they want to crush this mark. The biggest road block (and complain) to acheive this in the coming chrismass buying spree is the high price !!

Like Job's said, "It is the right move to do (for the company)", but let me tell you that if they would have hit that 1 million phone already and let's assume people would not be complaining as much about the high price, that we would'nt be seing such a huge price drop like we did. If people would have felt the 599$ price was Ok, Apple would have kept the money. Jobs and Apple are in the business of selling hardware and making as much money and profit they can from the technology they create. It is not about changing the fate of the univers or whatever it's all about making investors rich (Apple is public let's not forget this and i hope you have Apple stock).

So if i would have bought a phone at 599$ (I'm Canadian so my turn is in 2 months) and 60 days later it drops by 30% .... this is not price fluctuation this is a marketing repositionning for a product that was priced too high for the masses.

So i can understand the frustration of early buyers and the Apple move had to be done. They don't need bad publicity, not at this time, they need all positivism they can get. I'm sure they were expecting rants from the price drop from existing customers and waited to see how much of an issue it really was, and it was a big one.

I'm even willing to say that if they would have not done what they did, it would have possibly had a negative impact on futur product introduction as the Iphone could have been used as a reason to hold on and wait.

Now with the reembursement of 100$ everyone will use the Iphone as a positive example of the right thing to do and Apple fans will not be afraid in the future to stay in line and pay (potentially) I high sticker price for a new product.

Cheers

NewSc2
Sep 8, 2007, 12:48 PM
No, there's not. There is no guarantee and no obligation on the part of the seller to sustain your "investment." Once you purchase it, you assume the risk of it being worth $0 the next day. It could be stolen or destroyed, or it could be rendered utterly obsolete. There's a return/adjustment window for some amount of insulation from the market, but it's an artificial force.

Then you wouldn't have owned one, and someone else would have bought it. The resale value has no impact on price or performance at the time of purchase. The computer will last as long and perform as well whether it's worth $10 or $1000. High resale value is a nice perk and nothing more. Lots of people factor it in, but it's entirely speculative. You're taking a gamble, and it's no one's responsibility but your own. If it's not worth the price on the day you're purchasing it, you're making a mistake in buying it.

Welcome to market speculation. You might be annoyed about the future playing out differently than you anticipated, but it's no one's responsibility but your own.

Products are sold for a price at a specific point in time. The reality is that you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. You don't have any control over the future. Learn to live with it. That risk calculation might not pay off, and that's something that must be factored in.

If your iPhone breaks, take it in. That's what a warranty is for.

You have a degree in economics and you're comfortable with that statement? Give me a break. You bore the risk and you lost.

This has nothing to do with economic losses or business decisions. You're upset, you're to blame for putting yourself in the situation, and you've decided to complain about it to exorcise your frustration with yourself and put it on a third party. This is why we don't live in a democracy.

:confused::confused: My point was completely opposite your point. I don't see how you can conclude that I'm wrong by repeating "you're wrong." Maybe it's the law degree?

I purchased the iPhone because I felt it would hold its value. Maybe you didn't.

Part of the reason why I buy vintage music gear or electronics off eBay is because I know the value will stay true. If I don't like a certain vintage instrument (like my Roland TR-909), I can re-sell it on eBay for pretty much the exact same price I paid for it. If I bought a Powerbook off eBay for $800 today, I will be able to re-sell it for $800 next week. Even if a newer MBP came out, the older Powerbooks wouldn't depreciate in price by much.

That feeling holds true over to new Apple products, and it's what I've come to expect. Again, maybe you haven't, but I have. It's like visiting a trusted mom n' pop store, that I've gone to for years, know the owners, and have spent lots of money, and expecting a bit more service than I would from a faceless internet store. Sure, the mom n pop store could burn me, but they'd lose my business. They'd bend the rules here and there to keep a loyal customer satisfied. I'd pay more to have that service, and it's what we pay when we purchase luxury goods (I'm a distributor for a luxury goods brand).

My bigger point was that Katie's article was touching on sensitive issues and went with the "tough poop" mentality. I'm sure she feels that way, and you do too, but I didn't feel it representative of a good MacRumors post. I couldn't care less if it were posted on her own blog somewhere else.

80% of people could feel the same way you do -- just deal with the price drop. To the other 20% that felt burned, though, that's 200,000 people dissatisfied by Apple's pricing policy, and it's not something to be ignored. Even if it were 50,000 or 50, there are people out there that were left with a sour taste in their mouth, and it's not something good. As an Apple news site, I'd have thought MR would instead report on the divide, and not take sides.

illumin8
Sep 8, 2007, 02:06 PM
Wow, you people that were lined up to purchase the newest, shiniest Apple toy a couple months ago are really unbelievable.

We live in a capitalist society. That means that when two people want to exchange goods or services, there is a money transfer agreed upon. The amount of money paid for a good or service is determined at the TIME OF SALE.

You walked into an Apple or AT&T store, saw the iPhone, and AGREED to pay $599 for it. This was your CHOICE. Nobody held a gun to your head and said "you better pay $599 or else..."

Let me give you an analogy that might be more relevant than gasoline or new cars: Apple Computers.

When Apple released the new iMac recently, you had a couple choices if you wanted to buy it. You could buy it from the Apple physical or online store the day it came out, pay FULL RETAIL PRICE, + sales tax, and get it right away (instant gratification), or you could wait a week or two until it hits the discount mac retailers and buy it for about $100 less, - sales tax (mail order from out of state), and save a few hundred dollars overall.

I'm willing to bet a lot of people here might take the instant gratification. You know, or should know by now that electronics depreciate rapidly. You paid $599 for instant gratification.

Hey, I did too. I bought an iPhone on launch day for $599. I love my iPhone, and the fact that it's cheaper now in no way dimishes the usefulness or functionality of my iPhone. I agreed to pay $599, and getting a $100 gift card is just gravy as far as I'm concerned.

You people need to grow up a little bit and learn how the consumer electronics industry works. Any electronics device you buy, will be available for a few hundred dollars less and with more features and power a few months later. It's just the way it works. Ever heard of Moore's Law? Computing power doubles roughly every 18 months. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that this translates into more powerful devices that cost less.

samwich
Sep 8, 2007, 02:27 PM
When will these stop? Steve posted his decision, it's over and done with. And after reading some of these posts, it sounds as if for every one person that complained about the price drop, there are at least five people yelling at them, and giving them lessons about the economy. (Between this thread, and the countless others.) Stop beating this point to death!

Daremo
Sep 9, 2007, 04:35 AM
You people need to grow up a little bit and learn how the consumer electronics industry works. Any electronics device you buy, will be available for a few hundred dollars less and with more features and power a few months later.

What you typed is why people are so angry over this! If a NEW 16GB phone, with new features came out, it would JUSTIFY the price drop on the 8GB phone! This is the exact item, dropping 33%, 68 days after launch, with the excuse of Apple wanting to dominate the market over the holiday season! Regardless if Apple gave in because of the outrage, Steve Jobs recognized the error, and remedied it with a $100 pay back.

And I'm SO SICK of those of you who feel the need to use the "grow up" defense when someone's opinion differs from yours. That's the beauty of a free society, and our right to disagree and debate. Age, or maturity level has nothing to do with it, and it's simply a cheap shot to make yourself look superior.

tbobmccoy
Sep 9, 2007, 07:55 AM
boy people are sure a bunch of whiners. every time i buy a new computer a newer, cheaper faster one comes out the next month. i've never asked for a refund. the fact that a product can be offered at a cheaper price means it's doing well and more people will be able to get it. i loved the car analogy. just lost about 2000 bucks driving off the lot last month. the point is people are being thanked by apple by receiving a 200 buck coupon. that never happens in any other industry. so come on stop bitching because you jumped on the band wagon early. early adopters always pay the premium. remember when a 10 gig ipod was 400 bucks with a b&w screen and 6 hours of batterylife.
oh by the way i'm over 50 and found nothing juvenile about the young ladies opinion. if anything she has a very clear sense of the real world.....

To insert my two cents here..

This computer analogy is exactly why I purchase from Apple now. Their products go through relatively stable cycles and you can expect to get, often, a year of use before the price is cut dramatically or totally new features are added in. This expectation is built up by Apple, and they need to support it. People whining about the whiners need to understand that after 68 days, a price drop this dramatic (33%) is unreasonable according to their prior interactions with Apple. A perfect example can be seen in my MacBook. I've had it for about a year, when C2D first came out for the MacBooks, and there's only a small upgrade available for this computer to date (the processor speed). I'm glad Apple understood this mentality and has given us early adopters basically a $100 refund (I call it a refund because early adopters will be using it in the future more than any casual user).

Edit: Oh, as a side note, I'm glad future iPhones will NOT be ranking up in the 600s to purchase. Apple won't be able to sell them for that price unless they can also toast bread thanks to the decision to drop the price within 2 months!

matticus008
Sep 9, 2007, 12:50 PM
I purchased the iPhone because I felt it would hold its value. Maybe you didn't.
You made an arbitrary decision to make an unfounded and unqualified (and more importantly, unadvertised and demonstrably ill-conceived given cell phone prices) assumption about the future. You simply cannot do that with purchases--it's called speculation, and any failure to meet your prediction is solely your own fault.
Part of the reason why I buy vintage music gear or electronics off eBay is because I know the value will stay true.
Then you should stick to vintage gear, not cutting-edge products that are a first entry into a new and unusually aggressive market. Your theory of value has no place in the iPhone's market.
That feeling holds true over to new Apple products, and it's what I've come to expect.
No it doesn't--do you know what happened to the price for the old iPods this week? They crashed to half what people paid for them just the day before. It's because the new iPods are not only better, but bigger and comparatively cheaper.

Comparing an iPhone to a Mac is ludicrous. Comparing it to an iPod would make more sense, but still be a stretch.
My bigger point was that Katie's article was touching on sensitive issues and went with the "tough poop" mentality. I'm sure she feels that way, and you do too, but I didn't feel it representative of a good MacRumors post.
I felt it representative of reality. You bought a product. You paid a price that you assented to as being appropriate consideration. That is the end of it.

Any assumptions you made about the product's future are things that are solely your problem. You're upset and looking to blame someone else because you "had to have it" and paid more than you could have if you'd waited. It's your fault; deal with it. Buyer's remorse isn't anyone's responsibility but the buyer's.

Apple did this solely for PR reasons because they have an extraordinarily whiny and vocal set of malcontents as part of their customer base and it wanted them to shut up. Giving them store credit was cheaper than giving up the news cycle to irrational people who have neither the willpower to resist early adoption nor the responsibility to own their decisions.
To the other 20% that felt burned, though, that's 200,000 people dissatisfied by Apple's pricing policy, and it's not something to be ignored.
It wasn't ignored. In fact, it's the exact reason for this post. This is Katie's blog. It's her response to the issues and the news about the iPhone, which she is fully qualified to post here. Her blog posts aren't supposed to be journalistic puff pieces. Like other online columnists, she writes what she thinks. If you want product news, stick to the News page. This is the blog.

fredfnord
Sep 9, 2007, 08:48 PM
This reduction was: Extreme, Unprecedented, Uncommon, and so early they may as well have done it on June 30th.

Well, actually — not that you want to hear this — this sort of thing has happened a number of times in Apple's history. I can think of two (non-computer) items offhand that were dropped in price around 25 to 30 percent after less than three months in production, and one computer (the Mac IIvi) which was discontinued in favor of a cheaper and faster model less than three months after the first ones shipped (and less than four months after it was announced) without any warning of any kind that it was a computer with its balls cut off that couldn't even keep up with the Mac IIcx, which had been discontinued for a while when the IIvi was introduced. And in those days Apple had no retail stores and did not permit their resellers to have pricing protection, nor take back opened product, even with a restocking fee.

Tell me, would you still feel the same way if they had done this on June 30th? No, you'd be up in arms little crazy internet author writing about the biggest scam in history.........what if it happened 15 days after iDay, just outside of the 14 day price protection, how you feel then?!?! (!1!1!!elevendy-one!1!)

Tell me, would you still feel the same way about this if they had waited a year?

So, given that it really is just a matter of how much time they waited, what possible use could that argument be? 'If they did something that everyone would agree was awful, then they would have done something awful!' Yes. But, see, the point is, they didn't do that. They did something that only some people believe was awful, and trying to make it the logical equivalent of lowering the price after 15 days is just as silly as making it the logical equivalent of doing it after a year, or two, or five.

-fred

aly
Sep 11, 2007, 02:10 AM
Take your head out of Apples holly butt and join the rest of us on terra firma.

Unless you are implyng that Apple's butt is prickly and festive I believe you mean holy.:rolleyes:

glennyboiwpg
Sep 11, 2007, 11:51 AM
Katie, I think you dead on!

Maui
Sep 12, 2007, 02:02 PM
AANNNDD Miss Thang, you didn't even pay for the phone. You're no old hag either. Don't EVEN try to tell to tell me you wouldn't be pissed if you were in our shoes!

Seems to me she did pay for her phone, by trading her time for it. You traded your time for money, then used that money to trade for the phone. Katie skipped the money step -- but I fail to see how that deprives her of the right to comment on what Apple did.

Since you fail to understand the most basic concepts of economics, as I see it, the score on who is the professor here:

Katie 1
TwoSyllables 0

Everything else I would say about your juvenile personal attacks would get me banned, so I'll skip it. If you don't like the blog, how odd that you not only take the time to read it, but to then comment on it.

techage14
Sep 13, 2007, 08:35 AM
that was very well said Katie.

eenu
Sep 17, 2007, 09:45 AM

Sorry Blue but i find that rather hypocritical given one or two rude posts you have written to me on the boards that i found unacceptable especially from a mod. Katie is an adult who has chosen to write a public blog and accept comments in return. There has been nothing here that has been unacceptably rude or out of order. She has put herself in this position and can therefore deal with the replies.

not so much in defense of personal attacks, I will say that the blog did seem a bit offensive to me. At least in my reading, the tone of the article indicated (to me) that anyone who was complaining didn't understand basic principles of life. That and the poor analogies were enough to make me respond.

Yes that is how i read it too. For me the issue isn't the $200 issue, i have no emotion on that as i am not in the position but telling everyone who feels hard done by they have no clue on life is dumb by any standards. Again its her opinion so i think she is fair to state it but i hope no one here expects people to necessarily agree with it. And to JSW, i do find it hypocritical that she thinks $599 is fair but is going to take the $100 credit. But that is just my opinion.

psycoswimmer
Sep 18, 2007, 02:15 PM
Katie, are you coming out with a new blog entry soon? I enjoy reading them but it's been 11 days since the last one came out!

Edit: I PM'ed arn about this today, hopefully he'll reply soon. :)

About a week later and still no reply... This is a little odd.

sillycybin
Sep 20, 2007, 11:51 PM
I heard through some very good sources that the 'katie says' blog has been put down. I am saddened by this horrible news. I felt the need to reminisce on all the wonderful info I have gained from reading....

what have we learned from the blog?

Vegans are cool
Peep toe shoes are all the rage
iPhones make essential survival flashlights

R.I.P Katie Says

feel free to add your favorite Katie Says memory

Markleshark
Sep 21, 2007, 05:26 AM
Was wondering the same myself.

Any news Arn?

nbs2
Sep 27, 2007, 11:11 PM
Any news Arn?

A week has gone by since your post - I'm no doctor, but I'm calling it dead.

I'm a bit torn as I thought this would be a Barry Bonds scenario. Some attack the guy, some defend, but he just ignores everything and comes to the ballpark everyday. Ignore the Bonds juiced-ness - that breaks the analogy. :)

Markleshark
Oct 1, 2007, 12:02 PM
A week has gone by since your post - I'm no doctor, but I'm calling it dead.

I'm a bit torn as I thought this would be a Bonds scenario. Some attack the guy, some defend, but he just ignores everything and comes to the ballpark everyday. Ignore the Bonds juiced-ness - that breaks the analogy. :)

Looks that way, and yes, after I got over the fact I thought you we're talking about James Bond I now see your point.

breath of apple
Oct 8, 2007, 06:33 PM
Arn, can you please give us an update on what happened to Katie?
Many of us were enjoying her blogs.
Katie, if you are reading this, thanks!!! :)

mustang_dvs
Oct 10, 2007, 04:06 PM
It's dead, Jim.

18 blog posts over 2 months = free iPhone. Not to be a cynic, but boy, did Katie ever hit the jackpot.

psycoswimmer
Oct 10, 2007, 04:15 PM
I almost feel like something's being covered up.

I PMed arn, but I'm not sure of how he deals with those or if he even looks at them. Also, no moderators have posted on this thread.

nbs2
Oct 10, 2007, 04:30 PM
18 blog posts over 2 months = free iPhone. Not to be a cynic, but boy, did Katie ever hit the jackpot.

IIRC, the terms of the deal indicated that the phone would be returned or paid for if the deal fell apart - I don't remember which. From my reading of KT, she's not the kind of person to break an agreement (contract?).

breath of apple
Oct 13, 2007, 04:14 PM
Hmmmm.....this is definitely a cover-up! Even if a contract had been completed, Katie surely would have said a gracious "good-bye." Even if something happened to break the contract behind the scenes, Arn should have posted a message announcing that the posts would end and at least thanking everyone for reading Katie's posts giving first-hand accounts, experiences and impressions of the iphone. Something definitely smells....:( Arn is very responsive to his other threads....Arn, can you please post an update for us? Thanks!

Gonzlobo
Oct 13, 2007, 06:27 PM
Apple got this one perfect.

Please, I like my iphone, but there's 20 things that should be better. It's far from perfect.

Markleshark
Oct 15, 2007, 02:25 AM
I'm actually quite disappointed in the handling of this. If it;s dead remove it, or at least say 'We're working on coming to some kind of agreement'

Bitterly disappointed.

nbs2
Oct 15, 2007, 11:42 AM
It is disappointing that there have been no updates, and it has been handled strangely. But looking at the terms of the contract, as spelled out by arn (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3880806&postcount=84), we do know how this affair ended:

Katie's terms are as follows: She gets a phone + service to provide her blog services with a minimum of 5 posts a week (that number chosen by me). If she blogs for 6 months, she retains ownership of the phone. If we stop before that, MacRumors regains ownership of the phone. Either side can cancel at any time. This is a long term plan, and not a $700 one-time review that some people have suggested.

Just for my own morbid curiosity, I've been following this blog to see if she can meet it. It hasn't met expectations since week 2 (only three posts that week). That being said, the terms may have been adjusted. But, even if the 130 post requirement to retain ownership of the phone were spread out over the 2 year contract, the just-over-one post a week requirement was first missed at the end of August.

From a legal psychology standpoint, I'm curious to see how this ends.

Blue Velvet
Oct 15, 2007, 12:06 PM
Sorry Blue but i find that rather hypocritical given one or two rude posts you have written to me on the boards that i found unacceptable especially from a mod.

There's a difference and the difference is, and since you wish to publicly know... is that you have provoked them and deserved them. And this public raking over the coals of Katie's blog, morbid curiosity and all :rolleyes: is just pathetic and incredibly ghoulish. Leave Katie and Arn alone, no-one owes anyone an explanation... there is no conspiracy, no cover-up.

I'm locking this thread for now. If the blog continues, then it can be unlocked or if we hear something else, then it can also be revived... but right now, this type of scrutiny is really unsavoury, laced as it is with some degree of schadenfreude.