PDA

View Full Version : New york new york and APC


daveg5
Aug 14, 2003, 05:30 PM
I now know i will buy an apc, for my powermac if the power goes i will still have hours of use available.
what are the besr ones for macs and how about powerbooks what are the best ones for that any osx software.

shadowfax
Aug 14, 2003, 05:59 PM
have you researched backup power supplies? i don't think they give you hours of battery life. a powermac drains about 4 times what powerbooks do, and 6 or 7 times what an iBook does... you would need a 400 watt battery for a powermac; which i don't think will last for hours. i am thinking on the order of 30 minutes. i think they are just to give you time to shut your system down properly. it's probably a better idea to just have a laptop and not worry about it, because they have their own high capacity batteries on them.

zim
Aug 14, 2003, 06:02 PM
Has the power come back on?

I am wondering if you would still have internet connectivity with that size scale of an outage, something tells me that you wouldn't. Not that not having the internet would prevent me from working, but usually I find power outages to be the time to sit back and relax and be thankful for peace and quite. Then again it would sure be cool to have a power back up but, you need some serious cash to get a long term supply.

I think that Comp USA was running a special on APC a while ago, check them out.

Bear
Aug 14, 2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax
have you researched backup power supplies? i don't think they give you hours of battery life. a powermac drains about 4 times what powerbooks do, and 6 or 7 times what an iBook does... you would need a 400 watt battery for a powermac; which i don't think will last for hours. i am thinking on the order of 30 minutes. i think they are just to give you time to shut your system down properly. it's probably a better idea to just have a laptop and not worry about it, because they have their own high capacity batteries on them.
Actually you can get a few hours if you buy the APC model which you can add additional batteries to. However, the batteries do take space.

You want an APC 650 at the minimum for a PowerMac.

shadowfax
Aug 14, 2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Bear
Actually you can get a few hours if you buy the APC model which you can add additional batteries to. However, the batteries do take space.

You want an APC 650 at the minimum for a PowerMac. wow, that's pretty interesting. i haven't heard anything about them in over a year, and that was just what my neighbor had--one that lasted 30 minutes so he could turn his stuff off.. granted, i guess he had like 3-4 computers running on it, unless he had 3-4 APC things...

daveg5
Aug 15, 2003, 01:17 AM
phone and cable were not all affected like the cell phone antenneas, and power outlets. so an expandable one would be best if everything is out i can still use the computer for other things., i saw something for powerbooks with 10-15 hrs that looked like a pad you put under it but it seems like an extra battery or 2 would be best. thanks for all the replies

tjwett
Aug 15, 2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by zim
Has the power come back on?

I am wondering if you would still have internet connectivity with that size scale of an outage, something tells me that you wouldn't. Not that not having the internet would prevent me from working, but usually I find power outages to be the time to sit back and relax and be thankful for peace and quite. Then again it would sure be cool to have a power back up but, you need some serious cash to get a long term supply.

I think that Comp USA was running a special on APC a while ago, check them out.

as of this morning most of us have power again. obviously there was no broadband because there was nothing to power the modems but i was able to dial-up from my powerbook and listen to CNN radio online last nite. yesterday SUCKED.