Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
The old advertising slogan "Guinness is Good for You" may be true after all, according to researchers.

A pint of the black stuff a day may work as well as an aspirin to prevent heart clots that raise the risk of heart attacks.

Drinking lager does not yield the same benefits, experts from Wisconsin University told a conference in the US.

The Wisconsin team tested the health-giving properties of stout against lager by giving it to dogs who had narrowed arteries similar to those in heart disease.

They found that those given the Guinness had reduced clotting activity in their blood, but not those given lager.

BBC News Link

Dive in! The water's lovely!

:D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i never heard of this so thanks for bringing it up.

interesting idea and all that. wonder if they ever tested it further.

powerdave

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
Hamburg
They used to serve Guinness in hospitals in Ireland, and also when you donated blood, because it's full of iron. I wonder if they knew about any other good properties it has!?

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
The Wisconsin team

Why does it not surprise me that this research was done in Wisconsin?

It is surprising that they did not find benefits for Miller products, and that somehow bratwurst and cheese are not included...

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
As if I needed another excuse! :p Yup powerdave I remember those days well. Have they stopped that practice?

500th post.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
It was more a rhetorical question really, but it's good to know that I'm only doing myself good as I prepare to pour my second pint of the evening. :cool:

:confused::confused:
It's 20 to 10 and you're only pouring your second pint?

Mini Jaffa Cake better be the reason for this!!!

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
The UK is still the largest market in the world for Guinness, although the drink does not feature in the UK's top ten beer brands according to the latest research.

You crazy brits!! :rolleyes:

When Irish fest comes to indy next weekend, I'll be sure to drink that all night...for health reasons, you know? :)

Pani

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago
Yippee!!!!

I had been drinking Okcim (about a 6 pack a year, not a beer person) because I wanted to give the country where 1/2 my ancestors came from (Poland) a helping hand. But their homophobia so disturbs me, I am switching back to Guiness, which is my favorite beer anyway. Besides, Ireland refused to let one of our bombers land there, which is a plus in my book. And another 1/4 of my ancestors did live in Ireland for a few centuries, they were just that "other" kind of Irish - Scotch-Irish or Ulster Scot. So I guess I am still kind of sorta helping out the land of my ancestors.

Course the LAST thing I want to do is live to be an impoverished, old woman on a hot, chaotic planet, so must find another health vice to counteract the benefits of this brew.

p.s. There is a Guiness and Oyster festival in Chicago this weekend!

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I checked to see how ones says "Brilliant" in Nigeria.

"Brilliant" - since the official language is English. D'oH :p

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Now here's a question. Do these health benefits apply to Beamish and Murphy's as well? What about O'Hara's?

*contemplates the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout downstairs*
Hmm, 372 calories in 12 oz. vs. 120-something in 11.2 oz. of Guinness Draught... Interesting trade-off. Nearly 5 times the alcohol content, but only about 3 times more calories! :D

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
And don't forget the claim that you can get all the nutrients you need from 57 pints of Guinness, 2 pints of orange juice and a pint of milk a day.

I swear I saw this in the New Scientist, but a bit of searching on t'internet didn't come up with anything other than people swearing they saw it in the New Scientist, so I've reluctantly relegated this to the status of urban myth :(

I love Nigerian Guinness, almost a different drink altogether and far stronger. Don't see it much around where I live in London, though.

Nigerian Guinness is great. In my previous job, my manager was from Nigeria, and he would bring me back a load everytime he went home. Good stuff. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.