PDA

View Full Version : make me buy an ipod classic (tv out Qs)

typecast.nz
Sep 7, 2007, 06:24 AM
so currently i have the 80gig ipod video. but am questioning the purchase of the ipod classic as a local reseller (dse in NZ) has 15% off pre-orders before sept 9.

my understanding is that the classic no longer supports tv out via the headphone jack (read: $$$ need dock and/or dock to av cable ).

what i'm puzzled with is the output resolution - from a quick scan of the tech specs they look the same as the previous model? yet the additional component cable supports up to 576p? please explain

i tried converting an 848x352 trailer with visual hub 1.27 set for ipod classic and it came out at the same dimensions, though when its set for ipod(5g) it goes to 640x480.

any answers are welcome, esp if you have a classic (ipod!) in your pocket

Tom B.
Sep 7, 2007, 07:04 AM
This (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=350839&highlight=576) might help.

milo
Sep 7, 2007, 07:30 AM
You don't need a dock, just a different cable than the old versions. It's $49 for the cable plus a charger meaning the cable itself is the same price but so far you can only buy it bundled with the charger.

As for resolutions, we probably won't know for sure until people try it out and report back. From the specs, it sounds like the new ones can handle higher resolutions of movies.

donelson
Sep 9, 2007, 09:33 AM
You don't need a dock, just a different cable than the old versions. It's $49 for the cable plus a charger meaning the cable itself is the same price but so far you can only buy it bundled with the charger.

As for resolutions, we probably won't know for sure until people try it out and report back. From the specs, it sounds like the new ones can handle higher resolutions of movies.Yes, but can you get TV out via a CABLE-ONLY solution?

Or do you need to have a powered-cable setup of some sort?

I don't want a Classic if I have to drag power supplies etc around with me!

milo
Sep 10, 2007, 01:42 PM
Yes, but can you get TV out via a CABLE-ONLY solution?

The new cable doesn't require the power supply to work, it just is included for the price.