PDA

View Full Version : Speakers for Powerbook

NavyIntel007
Aug 14, 2003, 07:31 PM
Well I'm mad. My right speaker for my JBL sonnet system is pumping out all kinds of distortion and worst is that HarmonKardon doesn't sell a replacement for this model. :mad: Of course it's not under warranty anymore...

Anyways...

I went into the Bose store and looked at their computer speakers... They sounded pretty good (well it's hard to tell in the store) but they looked kinda cheap.

Soooo....

My price range is around $100. I'm looking for a decent set of speakers. I'd like either a pair or a 2.1 system but no more. I'm a little put out with JBL and HarmonKardon right now so don't even suggest it.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Kwyjibo
Aug 14, 2003, 08:16 PM
I have a pair of Monsoon Speakers +Sub, they look awesome (match the pb) and sound awesome. I really like my set and would defiantely purchase/upgrade in the future with this brand. take a look i think you will like them. mine were about 90-100 i think so just in that range.

edit: I can't find a link but the ones i bought were the Planar Media 9's

NavyIntel007
Aug 14, 2003, 08:30 PM
Monsoon got 5 stars on Amazon.com. I was thinking about those because I've heard good things. Plus they are smaller than most other speaker sets. Size is definitely an issue considering I might want to bring them on an Aircraft Carrier.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 08:47 PM
Monsoons are awesome, I cannot believe I almost forgot about them!

NavyIntel007
Aug 14, 2003, 08:51 PM
Ok... two votes for Monsoon... anyone else have an opinion?

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 09:10 PM
I heard that the older sound sticks Apple used to sell with the older iMacs with the iSub can be used with the PowerBooks. I've never tried it, but those speakers look sweet and sound sweet to boot.

NavyIntel007
Aug 14, 2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I heard that the older sound sticks Apple used to sell with the older iMacs with the iSub can be used with the PowerBooks. I've never tried it, but those speakers look sweet and sound sweet to boot.

HarmanKardon...

Too big... in the mood for something smaller.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 14, 2003, 11:46 PM
Try any of Altec-Lansing's speakers. I have a 2.1 set of Altec-Lansings and they sound really good.

NavyIntel007
Aug 14, 2003, 11:47 PM
Anyone use the Bose 2.0 system?

rhpenguin
Aug 15, 2003, 12:35 PM
The speakers im going to sugest are a little over your price range (not by much though. I think theyre only $150USD) but are extremely worth it. Go for the Logitech Z560s. They sound so kick ass and have oodles of power.

You will not be let down by these. They are also THX certified.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't mind a pair of Apple pro speakers, but I heard they do not work with PowerBooks, is this true? I haven't really heard them much, but they are really compact and look gorgeous.

tazo
Aug 15, 2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I wouldn't mind a pair of Apple pro speakers, but I heard they do not work with PowerBooks, is this true? I haven't really heard them much, but they are really compact and look gorgeous.

You can buy a speaker connection to firewire converter from Griffin Technology now :)

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 01:28 PM
Sweet! I've always thought that those speakers would make good laptop sized external speakers.

NavyIntel007
Aug 15, 2003, 02:40 PM
So, would the Apple pro speakers and this device from Griffin be woth it? Together they are around $100.

tazo
Aug 15, 2003, 02:42 PM
I would say that its worth it. I have heard the pro speakers and imho they sound pretty good.

Here is the link to the product:
http://griffintechnology.com/products/ifire/index.html

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 02:47 PM
I watched Monsters Inc. on a 17" iMac at the Apple Store and they sounded pretty good. I'm not sure how they'd sound with music, though.

NavyIntel007
Aug 15, 2003, 02:48 PM
The only problem is the ifire is pre-order.

Is anyone selling those Monsoons anymore? I went to compusa and bestbuy today and didn't see them.

job
Aug 15, 2003, 02:53 PM
Altec Lansing 2100s are a nice 2.1 system. The speakers themselves are fairly small, but the woofer is sizable. If you're lucky you can pick them up for around $79.99 to $99.99

They come with a basic, yet functional wired remote.

I've got the 2100s and they are great for music and movies.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 03:11 PM
I've seen the Monsoons at the CompUSA here...perhaps they might be on the website?

Kwyjibo
Aug 15, 2003, 03:44 PM
i got mine in circuit city lst feb. if that helps.

NavyIntel007
Aug 15, 2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
i got mine in circuit city lst feb. if that helps.

I saw them at circuit city. The sub is way too big. I think I will go with the Apple Pro Speakers and the iFire.